test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

neat video about TNG visual effects.

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Nice documentary :)
  • scorcher27ascorcher27a Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    To think that ILM's 6-foot model of the Enterprise-D cost $75k to build, yet it sold for $576k at auction.
    Two wrongs don't make a right... but three rights make a left!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    the company that made the last star fighter offered to make CGI visuals for the original Star Wars, but Lucas turned 'em down. Seen the demos, they looked nice.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    the company that made the last star fighter offered to make CGI visuals for the original Star Wars, but Lucas turned 'em down. Seen the demos, they looked nice.

which SW film are you referring to since CGI would have been really high tech for 1976-1977 (when Star War Episode IV:A New Hope was made). IIRC Star Trek II was one the first movies to ever use CGI (for the genesis presentation).
    spiritborn wrote: »

which SW film are you referring to since CGI would have been really high tech for 1976-1977 (when Star War Episode IV:A New Hope was made). IIRC Star Trek II was one the first movies to ever use CGI (for the genesis presentation).

the original. I think the Last Star Fighter DVD's extras has the folks who made the CGI, and offered to do CG space battles for the original star wars, but Lucas turned it down. I seen the stuff, looked real nice.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @smokebailey said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > the original. I think the Last Star Fighter DVD's extras has the folks who made the CGI, and offered to do CG space battles for the original star wars, but Lucas turned it down. I seen the stuff, looked real nice.

For Empire, apparently. I found it for you:

https://makingstarwars.net/2014/04/john-whitney-jr-gary-demos-1978-star-wars-cgi-x-wing-test-footage/
    My bad, but yes, that is the one. o:)
    Not bad, eh? :*
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited May 2020
    Not bad, true, but I do not think it would have held up as long as the filmed models since the early CGI could barely handle movie resolution and Lucas would have had to go back and redo it after some of the CGI advancements to sharpen it up.

On the other hand, one major advantage of doing it CGI would have been more realistic movements (though the physical models were not too bad with the servo cameras) since they would not be limited by the track lengths and could range a lot wider without forced perspective distortions.

Soon they will be using something like the Stagecraft LED wall systems for just about everything.
    Not bad, true, but I do not think it would have held up as long as the filmed models since the early CGI could barely handle movie resolution and Lucas would have had to go back and redo it after some of the CGI advancements to sharpen it up.

On the other hand, one major advantage of doing it CGI would have been more realistic movements (though the physical models were not too bad with the servo cameras) since they would not be limited by the track lengths and could range a lot wider without forced perspective distortions.

Soon they will be using something like the Stagecraft LED wall systems for just about everything.

Well, Last Starfighter still looks good, to me.

Good film, too.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited May 2020

Good film, too.

I like it too :)

It does hold up fairly well (like the B5 CGI does), but Lucas is notorious for tweaking anything that he sees as having any kind of flaw at all, so he would have most likely have felt compelled to redo them because of the resolution (or other reasons too, but resolution alone would be enough to set him off). People with ordinary TVs would never see the difference probably, and a lot would not notice it even in HD because they are watching the action rather than critiquing the models, I brought it up mostly because you can see it in stllframes and whatnot.

Good film, too.

I like it too :)

It does hold up fairly well (like the B5 CGI does), but Lucas is notorious for tweaking anything that he sees as having any kind of flaw at all, so he would have most likely have felt compelled to redo them because of the resolution (or other reasons too, but resolution alone would be enough to set him off). People with ordinary TVs would never see the difference probably, and a lot would not notice it even in HD because they are watching the action rather than critiquing the models, I brought it up mostly because you can see it in stllframes and whatnot.

Yes...Lucas is like a CGI addict, now.

Like in that Simpsons episode. Lucas: We can now make realistic eyebrows in CGI, now!
    Or something like that. :s

I'll still pick Last Starfighter, or B5 over Star Wars, that's for sure.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    That's an example of efficient use of assets over high tech assets. You know what you can't do with the effects and you don't try to do that. Last Star Fighter stuck with flashy lights and metal things.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg