test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

🪐 "Strange New Worlds" Discussion 🪐

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
edited May 2022 in Ten Forward
***Update***

Because this a long thread I am going to start updating the OP with page links to wherever the more recent/current conversations start. For now, see page 12, post dated May 5th, for convo starting after episode 1 aired:

https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13717615/#Comment_13717615

Significant news items:

(1) SNW officially announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD6kUZwMOjQ

https://trekmovie.com/2020/05/15/breaking-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-series-with-pike-spock-and-number-one-headed-to-cbs-all-access/

(2) SNW cast teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7ZWdJY6ZY

(3) SNW official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxuyzk5DUFc

(4) New Kirk actor announced:

https://trekmovie.com/2022/03/15/breaking-james-t-kirk-is-coming-to-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-season-2-played-by-paul-wesley/

(5) "Inside the series" preview:

https://youtu.be/-yHLlLWo-hI

(6) Official show intro:

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,963 Arc User
    WHHHHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Logical.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    In response to the "optimism" quote (quoted in the OP): this makes me very happy. Like I've said in other threads, I don't mind dark trek shows (and think DS9 was awesome). But I don't want ALL of my Trek shows to be dark, and so far the new ones have had a dark tone. I'm glad we will finally have a new Trek show that is optimistic in tone :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I'm all in! The chemistry those three had during season 2 of Disco and in the short treks, combined with the idea that they want to tell a hopeful story? Hit it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I'm really looking forward to this show. I hope it will heal the huge rifts in the Star Trek fandom that have developed.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,948 Community Moderator
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this show. I hope it will heal the huge rifts in the Star Trek fandom that have developed.

Knowing how some of the hardcore people are... they'll find SOMETHING to hate on. 5 ECs says one is going to be the bridge controls being touchscreen like on Discovery rather than pure jellybean buttons like in TOS. Second being that its not the TOS Enterprise. Third being its not TOS.
    Not specifically in that order, but I have a feeling that is going to be some of the arguments against it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Really enjoyed Picard, and I loved Anson Mount's performance as Pike in DSC. If they're serious about going back to a more optimistic Trek with this show, I am all for that!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Looking forward to it as well, but hoping the Discovery Haters just stay in their bitter and jaded corner. Couldn't care less about appeasing that crowd of crybabies.

This show looks great!
    Insert witty signature line here.

Looking forward to it as well, but hoping the Discovery Haters just stay in their bitter and jaded corner. Couldn't care less about appeasing that crowd of crybabies.

This show looks great!

Congrats, you made the first negative post of the thread :/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

This show looks great!

You had to go there, didn't you...?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Oh, sweet Prophets, this is awesome! *happy Bajoran noises*
    maxresdefault.jpg
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Knowing how some of the hardcore people are... they'll find SOMETHING to hate on. 5 ECs says one is going to be the bridge controls being touchscreen like on Discovery rather than pure jellybean buttons like in TOS. Second being that its not the TOS Enterprise. Third being its not TOS.
    Not specifically in that order, but I have a feeling that is going to be some of the arguments against it.

Wait!, the scenography is not made of cardboard?? thats OUTRAGEOUS!! :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,430 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    gaevsman wrote: »

Actually the "cardboard Enterprise" nonsense is just that: nonsense. The interior sets were all made with wood and some of the fixed walls (like the corridors) were plasterboard. The bridge sets were made of very thin wood in places to make it lighter (they had to pull sections out for the cameras, what they call a "wild" set in the industry) but it was wood, not cardboard. One of the few exceptions to that was the matt boards they used to reduce the size of the overhead rear-projection screens over the bridge stations so they would be visible in the brighter lighting the network insisted on without cranking up the lamps to the point the transparencies would burn.

If you are talking instead about the painted backdrops, Star Trek had some of the best of the period, and in fact was one of the pioneers of using movie-grade compositing to make them more versatile and realistic. Yes, modern CGI is better but what TOS was doing was ground breaking for the times so you have to give them at least that much credit.

Also, while some of the hardcore traditional fans actually are hard-headed about any kind of change at all they are just an overly vocal minority. More of them are perfectly fine with new stuff expanding things in an inclusive way and not just dumping random generic junk into Trek to try and push out the already established stuff entirely like Moonves wanted. The more obnoxious of the hardcore DSC fans are just as guilty of gatekeeping and whatnot as the worst of the hardcore traditional Trek fans, they just pull in the opposite direction in the ridiculous tug-of-war.

Personally I think both the TOS and the DSC Enterprises are good, though I do slightly favor the cleaner golden spiral based curves and angles of the TOS one a bit more than the regular geometry based somewhat art-deco look of the new one.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,826 Arc User

I hate to disappoint. so I'm that guy. actually it's the thing about any prequel. you absolutely know who is going to die/live.
    with this trek, you KNOW Pike and spock cannot die. Number one can because we have no idea of her fate beyond possibly a book. Hopefully, they will build a good ensemble around the pair, and have a CMO (NOT Piper) CHeng (NOT scotty) you get the idea. that way we can be shocked if Helmsman O'Keefe gets blown away at the end of S1 (Tasha Yar, Anyone?)
    Spock.jpg

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I think most people who dislike the shows have problems with the writing in the new shows, and the set design is just something to nitpick.

Set design is still something to criticize, though, like Picard's absurd and illogical lighting and holographic controls. If the writing was good, these would still be things to criticize, even if you liked the show.

I'm certainly hopeful for this idea of the new show, but I know better than to put money on it.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I hate to disappoint. so I'm that guy. actually it's the thing about any prequel. you absolutely know who is going to die/live.
    with this trek, you KNOW Pike and spock cannot die. Number one can because we have no idea of her fate beyond possibly a book. Hopefully, they will build a good ensemble around the pair, and have a CMO (NOT Piper) CHeng (NOT scotty) you get the idea. that way we can be shocked if Helmsman O'Keefe gets blown away at the end of S1 (Tasha Yar, Anyone?)

But does that even matter?

I don't need to fear for anyone's life to be entertained or feel suspension.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

I admit I'm in something of the "this is not how it was in TOS" crowd. LCARS was not a thing in this era. They didn't have Star Wars holographic transmissions, either, and that is what I will always call them. I get that "it's 2020, the technology of TV and film has gone forward", but you can still try and retain a "classic look" with modern technology, if you're willing to not completely throw the classics into the trash. Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away.

That being said, I felt that the introduction of Pike in particular to season 2 of Discovery was a vast improvement, and I look forward to seeing how they progress with a standalone series, returning to the good old Enterprise... well, new-old... old-new? Eh. (I do like the Disco-prise, by the way - a lot more than the JJ-prise, if I'm honest, since the Disco-prise at least retains most of the same, er... proportions.) Some people have pointed out that it "treads on stories told before", but there is a lot about Pike's tenure as captain of the Enterprise that we don't know about, especially considering how long it was. A little display in the Disco episode "Brother" confirms the Enterprise was commissioned in 2245, and that her first captain Robert April commanded her for one five-year mission before turning her over to Pike. Kirk's five-year mission is listed on Memory Alpha as 2265-70, which meant that Pike had her for fifteen years, three five-year missions. Spock mentioned in the TOS two-parter "The Menagerie" that he had served with Pike for eleven of those years, which meant that he would have just joined the crew at the time of the original pilot, "The Cage". That's a lot of ground to cover. Makes me wonder just how much of it they will cover.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    We’re going to try to harken back to some classical ‘Trek’ values, to be optimistic, and to be more episodic. Obviously, we will take advantage of the serialized nature of character and story-building, but I think our plots will be more closed-ended than you’ve seen in either ‘Discovery’ or ‘Picard

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/05/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-akiva-goldsman-more-episodic/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,345 Arc User

with this trek, you KNOW Pike and spock cannot die.
    Did you ever once fear that Kirk, Spock, or McCoy might actually die? Picard, Riker, Data, or Geordi? Janeway, Chakotay, the Doctor, or Paris? Archer, Trip, T'pol, or Reed?

It's in the nature of episodic television that the main characters will still be around at the end of each episode. The principle is violated only very rarely, and at least half the time it turns out the character faked their death or mysteriously disappeared and no body was found so they show up later or something. The tension isn't supposed to be, "Will they live?", but rather, "How are they going to get out of this one?"
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    IMO, the problem is less with people's individual opinion of the show and more with the idea that they feel compelled to force their view on others and make them agree. And yes, that problem exists to an equal degree on both sides. People who dislike a show shouldn't feel compelled to try to make other people dislike it, and people who do like it shouldn't feel some kind of psychotic personal offense when other people don't like it and feel like it is their duty to single handedly prove every complaint wrong. Sadly, I know I'm talking about basic human behavior that will never actually change. Oh well :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    IMO, the problem is less with people's individual opinion of the show and more with the idea that they feel compelled to force their view on others and make them agree. And yes, that problem exists to an equal degree on both sides. People who dislike a show shouldn't feel compelled to try to make other people dislike it, and people who do like it shouldn't feel some kind of psychotic personal offense when other people don't like it and feel like it is their duty to single handedly prove every complaint wrong. Sadly, I know I'm talking about basic human behavior that will never actually change. Oh well :p

It seems that rather than people taking "agree to disagree" to mean graciously accepting that they cannot change someone else's mind, they took it to mean "no! You cannot disagree with me! I disagree with you! Asgavzgsasghwsg!"

Actually, that would explain a lot about politics. ;):D
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    How dare they make a Star Trek series that is optimistic and features the best character in Discovery and not the usual grimdark Star Trek that we have enjoyed for the past few years.
    starkaos wrote: »
    How dare they make a Star Trek series that is optimistic and features the best character in Discovery and not the usual grimdark Star Trek that we have enjoyed for the past few years.

Agreed! It's basically a "slap in the face" to the fans! :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

with this trek, you KNOW Pike and spock cannot die.
    Did you ever once fear that Kirk, Spock, or McCoy might actually die? Picard, Riker, Data, or Geordi? Janeway, Chakotay, the Doctor, or Paris? Archer, Trip, T'pol, or Reed?

It's in the nature of episodic television that the main characters will still be around at the end of each episode. The principle is violated only very rarely, and at least half the time it turns out the character faked their death or mysteriously disappeared and no body was found so they show up later or something. The tension isn't supposed to be, "Will they live?", but rather, "How are they going to get out of this one?"

Spock and Kirk did die, though. Pike had a fate worse than death. Data died. Picard died. Tasha Yar died. The Tuvix episode was basically a two deaths or one moral question. Trip died. Janeway got assimilated and died.

Now I know, yes, several of those deaths were deliberate ends to the characters as the series/movies finale sort of things, but it is quite a bit different to kill off Trip or Kirk, for example, rather than have them ride off into the sunset. Picard's death was utterly irrelevant, as was Kim's death, to your point. Data was at least implied to be a Spock 2.0 thing at first, then ST:Picard came along.

On the other hand, Spock's death was incredibly powerful, and even though he was immediately brought back, it was a major subplot in the next 3 movies, he wasn't just back to normal. Yar's original death was meaningless, but ultimately as we see it written into STO, based on her return in TNG, has had a major legacy. Crusher disappeared as Ent D doctor but came back, later.

Basically we've seen ST write out characters, certainly not at GoT levels, but I don't think anyone expected Spock to die in WOK before going into the theater, or for Tasha Yar to be killed off so easily. We never knew their futures, though, so I have to agree there is some issue with Pike and Spock since we know they won't die off. I personally don't care about such "spoilers" because the journey, the story about how they get there is the really interesting part, but for some it makes a difference.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,430 Arc User
    edited May 2020

As far as Star Trek is concerned anything in the TOS era is a historical piece anyway and most of the people are dead by the "modern" Trek era. Viewers tend to compartmentalize that kind of thing and concentrate on what is going on at the time that is being shown even though they know what eventually happens.
    And really, what happened to Pike was not that much different from what happened to Picard. Picard died but was transferred to an android body to live again, while Pike ended up as essentially a brain-in-a-box with a virtual body projected into either the "real" world (sort of like Vina was in Menagerie) or a virtual one and was even reunited with Vina.

As for Number One, while NBC forbid any reference to her in the series itself beyond what was already shown in The Cage, Roddenberry was often asked at conventions and whatnot what happened to her and he always replied that she eventually got promoted to a command of her own (a destroyer) and continued her own career. It is not strictly canon but it is not against it either (at least so far anyway, I have a rather dim view of the current plotting quality, but that is a subject for another thread), so it is probably safe to assume Roddenberry gets his way on the subject for now.

As for the technology, TOS actually did have the equivalent of LCARS but the set was designed for a lower lighting level than NBC insisted on and even in The Cage they left the LCARS-like touch displays off because the bright lights needed to see them through the dark glass of the control panel would burn the transparencies in less that thirty seconds. The brighter lighting in TOS was also the reason they had to block off most of the big overhead viewscreens into two smaller ones in each of the original frames, the stage lights would wash them out.

Touchscreens are not at all a new concept, technology just took until now to catch up and actually build the things, the same way TOS communicators inspired cell phones (though they are more like powerful sat phones) and even earlier TRIBBLE Tracy videophone watches inspired today's smart watches and dozens of other examples people have pointed out over the years.

In TOS it was a case of a very futuristic concept for the bridge and the controls there but the TV production technology of the 60s could not do it justice and they had to compromise. In the CBS Treks it is the other way around, they lowered the bar down to where current technology can easily (and inexpensively) be used to on the show just by using it in the current way (bog standard touchscreens and button grids).

A good example is the jewel buttons on the TOS control panels. They were not supposed to be simple pushbuttons, they were direction-of-pressure sensitive solid-state haptic controls similar to the "top hat" tipper-switches on today's joysticks but without moving parts. To see that, just keep a close look at Sulu's hands on the panel, one hand he uses to 'punch' buttons and whatnot but the other he keeps on one particular group of jewel buttons and rocks and twists his hand instead.

In the end though, whether someone prefers a futuristic look or the the "just like today's stuff but smaller and sleeker" aesthetic (which Hollywood shifted to for science fiction way back in the 1970s with only a few departures from it since) is a matter of each viewer's personal taste. And it is not what most old core fans are really objecting to, instead they do not like the extremes Moonves's people went to in deliberately inserting discontinuity into what should be a recognizable period piece out of contempt for the original, instead of even making an effort to do a serious update of the era.

If they play their cards right, SNW could be a chance for CBS to heal the breach in the fanbase.

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    This is quite exciting. I'm a huge fan of Pike from Discovery. And although to me Picard was a dream come true which I never hoped or expected to see, this new show sounds just right.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    I'm excited and very much looking forward to the production when it's ready. I hope they get some writer's from the scifi circles. In similar fashion that Roddenberry did at the start of TOS season one. Heck. Give David Gerrold an opportunity to script an episode. I think viewers would enjoy that kind of result.

With regard to STO, I think it's time for Cryptic to find a way over that hump regarding starship interiors. Let this series production be the inspiration to consider making a Pike series-based Constitution interior (not just a bridge). With functional aspects worth a player paying for. They should start planning now. Let it percolate into season one to see how the series presents. Then push out the polished product to player's as a new standard for interiors.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    edited May 2020
    Yeah. The question is this: will NOT making interiors have any significant (key word) impact on the number of people that will buy (or gamble to get) a ship? If the answer is "no", then they have no actual incentive to invest the budget into making them.

That said, no this issue does not actually have anything to do with the topic of this thread.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg