test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I could use some help with a theme build

spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
edited May 2020 in The Shipyard
I'm using a themed "temporal agent" build with my AoY toon (human Sci) and could use help improving the build (starting with help as to how I can post the build here for review).

I'm using chroniton beams on her and the temporal rep set for theme reasons.

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Can you show us what you've got so far with https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/

If you're going theme build for temporal the first thing which comes to mind is this ancient set:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Temporal_Warfare_Set
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/8ae1f1afea9bd089af3bde5ccde76755

I hope this works, I didn't include everything but this should be enough.
    Post edited by spiritborn on
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

After selecting a starship and gear you need to save a link and post that link here.

E.g. https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/0c561a0cf554ac36938d6ea32bf6da3a
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    Yeah I figured that out.
    Probably towards SCI but for various reason I prefer to keep decent weapon damage as well as a back up. Oh and I want to maintain the theme so options that would break the theme are a no go for me.
    westmetals wrote: »
    Ooookay... I'm not sure how possible that is, but... some ideas....

* Remove Polymorphic Probes, Assimilated Console, and Plasma-Generating Weapon Signature Nullifier.
    * Add Conductive RCS with either [EPG] or [CtrlX] mod.
    * Move Tactical System Stabilizer to the other vacant Engineering slot.
    * Add Exotic Particle Field Exciter with either [EPG] or [CtrlX] mod.
    * Add a third Vulnerability [+AP] console in the vacant Tactical slot.

If you have the resources to do so, I would also look at removing the KCB and replacing it (with some shuffling) with the Chroniton DBB from the lobi store, and if you do that, I would also replace the Temporal Disentanglement with the Tachyokinetic Converter (which is also from lobi store and makes a set with this weapon).

I'll have to check those out when I'm online and I have the time then, though the amount of Lobi I got atm is rather small so I not sure I got enough to get those 2.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Hybrids can work just fine. They probably don't get as much as focusing on either science or beams would, but I have run several of these sort of builds and they are lots of fun. You are probably going to want to spend a lot of time playing with it though, tweaking what BOFF powers you use and can live without, along with traits and so on. Since you are trying to do a lot in this kind of build, you don't generally have room for everything.

Your BOFF powers and skills really matter here, to help you focus on how to build your ship. As they are right now, I think you are missing a photonic officer for cooldowns, as you don't have much for that. You also seem to have a focus in control in your skills but you're only using timeline collapse and jam sensors, and conversely are trying to use energy drain and Tykens Rift after completely ignoring your drain skill while also using an deteriorating secondary deflector.

I'd say switch your skills and BOFF powers to focus on drain, that way you don't even need ctrlx, and strongly consider tachyon beam and charged particle burst, especially if you have traits for those from other science ships. Primarily, of course, they are triggering your secondary deflector and drain infection, but sapping shields is a nice side effect to help your beams. Also an exciter console is extremely expensive in CTRL or EPG flavors, drain is really cheap. Obviously if you did this, any science consoles should be EPG first priority, drain second wherever possible.

I'd use EPTW3 instead of 2, and probably aux to SIF 1, since you seem a little light on heals. You could use FAW, but I think you'd have better performance with BO, so be sure to try them and see if you feel one is better than the other.

I'd second the call to lose the polymorphic console and the assimilated console. I don't know that I'd bother with any lobi consoles, but a drain or EPG conductive RCS is one replacement. I think I'd move up one of the set consoles to engineering and make room for another EPG console of whatever variety. I do worry though that you are a bit squishy with no resistances in your skill tree and no armor console, so the alternative is to get a neutronium, and lose one of your locators.

Now in my experience your power is going to be rough. Focusing on science, you'll want to max your aux power and everything else goes to weapons and you still won't break 100 power unless EPTW is running. The minimum 15 power to engines and shields is necessary for this sort of thing to work. That means you're going to be slow, and your shields might drop a lot easier than you'd imagine, but your beams will be pretty useful. This is why I suggested the armor console, and I'd say you may want to shift your engineering skills to add one point in armor, and probably a couple into hull restoration. I'd also want to put a couple points into shield hardness instead of shield mastery.

For your starship traits, I obviously have no idea what you have. I do not like greedy emitters, despite this being a fairly ideal build for it. The downtime is just too much IMO. I'm also not a big fan of the defensive traits because of their lockouts. Emergency Weapon cycle is always good if you're going to run EPTW anyway. Highly specialized is worth a look, and shouldn't be too expensive on the exchange. Exotic modulation seems like a good trait to use here too. If you still wanted a somewhat defensive trait, History will remember is always on, even if it takes time to build up. Finally, I'd suggest tachyon dispersal if you have it, as it will help you eat through shields even quicker. Particle feedback loop also seems fine too.

In the end, though, I think what you need to do is experiment a lot with different traits, BOFF powers, and console setups to figure out what works well for you, as you're trying to do several things at once, so you can't truly optimize it like more standard builds.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    did you get the temporal vortex console from this year's FC event? because i'm sure i don't need to point out - that is pretty much going to be a cornerstone of any temporal themed build...and probably EPG builds in general if one can find a way to squeeze it in​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    did you get the temporal vortex console from this year's FC event? because i'm sure i don't need to point out - that is pretty much going to be a cornerstone of any temporal themed build...and probably EPG builds in general if one can find a way to squeeze it in​​

Yeah I got it, that's actually why I started thinking about her build.