test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Year of Klingon

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
For Honor and Glory, welcome to the Year of Klingon. Over the course of 2020, and a bit of 2021, we'll be releasing a major, Klingon-focused storyline, and updating a lot of our older, beloved Klingon content. Find out more:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11423783

Comments

• trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Did I die and go to sto-vo-kor!??! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Year of the Not Real Star Trek Fans!!! YAY!!!
    Post edited by trillbuffet on
  • shakkazulu8shakkazulu8 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I'm looking forward to this event. Also, when will we ever finish building New Romulus? I hope before this new decade of STO ends. LOL
  • furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I'm hoping this will include a T6 version of the Vo'quv. :)
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    it’s a fair bet that J’Ula and her time traveling cohorts are involved

I would have preferred a Klingon story line without J'Ula.

So we’re spending time and resources to give these pieces of content visual and gameplay facelifts. Over the next twelve months (maybe more), you’ll see new Klingon character models for some of our classic characters like J’Mpok, updated skins for the classic Klingon ships like the Bird of Prey, new environments and cutscenes to refresh this old but beloved content.

Please remember to test these visual changes with the following features turned on and off:
    1. Lighting 2.0
    2. Shadows
    3. Reflections
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Of course the Romulans and especially the Dominion become more neglected although Roms did get a few minor upgrades at least like hair styles for an example. Also it looks like I may not get a T6 Oberth any time soon.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I'm hoping this will include a T6 version of the Vo'quv. :)

Hear! Hear!
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    Woooohooooo!!!!!!
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Skepticism is to be expected. However, I'll be pleased as anyone as these additions and improvement are rolled out.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • daurien#7258 daurien Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Are the "The Kuvah'magh" and "The Ultimate Klingon" story lines just dead for good then? When the Federation rework was announced, the announcement implied that we would see them again.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Ok, so what I read of this announcement the changes (as announced so far) are mostly graphical in nature, which is great!

But I have to ask, what is going to be done to actually make players want to play KDF? Putting a new coat of paint on a car with rust holes doesn't change the fact that the car is, still, rusted through.

-AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • mikeblackwolfmikeblackwolf Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Does this mean new t6 ships ?
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...no detail other than we are going to continue a FEDERATION based storyline that just happens to have a Klingon as a bad guy. All we know if that a WHOLE FRAKING YEAR of FOCUS on the KDF will be to refresh some character models and content and make a skin for ONE ship. Sounds like they are solidly focusing on the KDF right there.

We've talked about this yesterday night, with my fleetmates.
    I remain extremely skeptical, and indeed I will be extremely surprised if this new "face-of-the-game changing story" will be anything more than another group of episodes that treats every character as if they're FED, but funnily enough the part that irks me is not any of this.
    It's the artists streams:
    Artist Streams – Some of the artists working on our games will be inviting you into their homes to show off their work, as they make it. These streams will largely be unannounced, so make sure to follow our Twitch channel to know when they go live.
    As if they can't just schedule them - and yes, I know that right now they're working in subpar conditions because of the pandemic.
    Like, why? What's the point of making streams if you do not announce them? So you can do them at improbable hours, when half the player base will be working and the other half will probably be sleeping? So pretty much no one will watch them? So that you'll have an excuse to say that no one cares?
    I don't get it.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    How many missions are you taking out this time?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Ok, so what I read of this announcement the changes (as announced so far) are mostly graphical in nature, which is great!

But I have to ask, what is going to be done to actually make players want to play KDF? Putting a new coat of paint on a car with rust holes doesn't change the fact that the car is, still, rusted through.

Even the best blade will rust and grow dull unless it is cared for.
  • atticus74atticus74 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Yes Please.
    Below is starting list of things that need some love
    Qonos
    Ship Interiors
    bat'leths and hand-to-hand mechanics in general
    I'll just stop there
  • voidqueenvoidqueen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Wait! The Devs noticed that there is another faction other then the Federation? :open_mouth: Yeah they really dropped the ball YEARS ago in regards to the KDF, naturally nobody want's to play a faction that gets the least attention in therms of ships and content. How surpirsing this sudden attenion is, i remain sceptical that the Devs are actually make a real change to make ALL factions equal.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Hah, you all fell for it!!! It's not 'The Year of the Klingons', it's 'The Year of Klingon'. That means every Blog they release will be in Klingonese!! :)

Don't forget the Alliance Battlecrusier. Do you think that was released without some future plan in mind.

Revamp and 'Reimagine' the early Episodes, making them consistent with current visual/model/storytelling standards.

Update models throughout the other Arcs automatically as the underlying models are updated.

Update KDF ship skins.

Release new Promotion/Lockbox and to some extent C-Store KDF Ships.

Bring back the 'Reimagined' B'vat/Miral Episodes of the Kuvah'magh and Guardian. Do what needs to be done to square with J'Ula.

Everyone resolves the J'Ula nonsense so it's done. No more blood from that stone.

Lead up to the beginnings of the Alliance with more All-Faction Ship Releases.

Prepare for future releases for Discovery Season 3, Picard Season 1 & 2, Section 31, Pike, etc. Smattering some during the above to maximize the Synergy with the on-screen stuff.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    Last few times we've had the promise of remastered content, it's just led to content being totally removed and not replaced. I hope we won't get another repeat of that.
    In fact, I hope we'll get to see some - or all - of that content returned to the game given that much of it had already been remastered and didn't need to be removed anyway!
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    now that I think about it does this mean I'll finally get my dahar master coat?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited April 2020
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Of course the Romulans and especially the Dominion become more neglected although Roms did get a few minor upgrades at least like hair styles for an example. Also it looks like I may not get a T6 Oberth any time soon.

Ships of the Line bundles first, then probably work on T6s for the ships that need them, and then most likely the ships that Cryptic made that have not been seen onscreen.

Romulans are getting a revamp on their tutorial, thanks to ST:Picard.

And (hopefully, mostly because there's nothing confirmed when Al said they might do something about it after players 'unlock' it) they'll get around to opening up the Dominion to include Vorta.

So just because they going to focus on the Klingons, it doesn't mean they aren't doing anything else for the others.
    Did I die and go to sto-vo-kor!??! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Year of the Not Real Star Trek Fans!!! YAY!!!

Fascinating.

I have seen Klingon Cosplayers as part of organized fan clubs when I went to Star Trek conventions in Toronto back in the early '90s. Have they been faking it as Star Trek fans?
    nightken wrote: »

Since we have the jacket that Lorca wore the last time he was on ST: Discovery that drapes down towards the knees, it shouldn't be a stretch for Dahar Master coat to be made available.
    edited April 2020
    ltminns wrote: »
    Hah, you all fell for it!!! It's not 'The Year of the Klingons', it's 'The Year of Klingon'. That means every Blog they release will be in Klingonese!! :)

Don't forget the Alliance Battlecrusier. Do you think that was released without some future plan in mind.

Revamp and 'Reimagine' the early Episodes, making them consistent with current visual/model/storytelling standards.

Update models throughout the other Arcs automatically as the underlying models are updated.

Update KDF ship skins.

Release new Promotion/Lockbox and to some extent C-Store KDF Ships.

Bring back the 'Reimagined' B'vat/Miral Episodes of the Kuvah'magh and Guardian. Do what needs to be done to square with J'Ula.

Everyone resolves the J'Ula nonsense so it's done. No more blood from that stone.

Lead up to the beginnings of the Alliance with more All-Faction Ship Releases.

Prepare for future releases for Discovery Season 3, Picard Season 1 & 2, Section 31, Pike, etc. Smattering some during the above to maximize the Synergy with the on-screen stuff.

Also, my Star Trek Senses are tingling that Worf's story in ST:Picard is going to be different from what it was back in the day when STO was made. Which means that his involvement is going to change. Plus, it was interesting that they used his appearance from the TNG movies and later DS9 episodes for the Star Trek: Legacy 10th Anniversary video.

I hope they make a uniform for the Alliance Command that has a chest/comm badge as well as the shoulder badge, so there could be some mix matching of the Star Fleet and Klingon symbols (such as wearing the Federation Klingon chest badge while wearing the Klingon arm patch/badge).
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »

Since we have the jacket that Lorca wore the last time he was on ST: Discovery that drapes down towards the knees, it shouldn't be a stretch for Dahar Master coat to be made available.

well it was never that they couldn't, and stop me if you've heard this excuse before, they have to have someone make one basically from nothing and they just couldn't cause spare anyone... for 6 years now. though to be fair they probably forgot it was a thing.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • jhymesbajhymesba Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I'm not a big fan of Klingons, but I do have a few KDF characters. Here's what you could do to get me to play them more.

1) A Klingon Agent benefit to all characters. Play a KDF officer from 0 to hero, rack up on benefits, and then make those available to non KDF characters (my main is a Fed, BTW).
    2) A Klingon Reputation, with Klingon Marks. This should get bonus levelling for KDF characters, but when you level it up to max, it should open up story content for Federation characters, relating to the KDF.
    3) A remastered KDF early section.
    4) A KDF section that has Federation and Klingons working together with Romulans as part of the Alliance.
    5) KDF specific modifications to the shared content, such as highlighting that the Feds were stupid ignoring the Undine threat, putting a KDF angle on the Iconian War, etc.
    6) KDF ships! Since we can fly T6 ships now from Zero to Hero, you don't have to make many of them, just a good variety. I like well-armed bricks, so a B10 (Yeah, I play SFB! XD) would be good to fly the story through.
    7) Some love for the Alliance Battlecruiser. Perhaps an end-game mission console from the Klingon side, that gives the ship an extra Klingon boost, and pairs off with an end-game mission from the Feds and Romulans to give a full 'combined technologies' set.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    As much as I am excited about this I am also very skeptical. When you updated a lot of the Fed story lines you removed content. Please do not remove any of the KDF episodes. Update the graphics add cutscenes by all means but keep the amount of content as KDF does not have enough faction story line to remove any of it.

Forgive my skepticism but I have seen to much content being removed from STO and either not be replaced or replaced by inferior quality content which leave the game broken.

I will try and keep a open mind and see what the dev blogs about it will say.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]