test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help design the summer ship

13»

Comments

• nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    Something that takes inspiration from explorer subs like you see on blue planet would be nice. Maybe the bridge could be within a big clear dome on the centre of the underside hull.
  • djblack71#6265 djblack71 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Have they put up the choices to vote on yet?
  • olddad78#2157 olddad78 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Hello, it is my understanding that STO needs my help in design of a new ship. This is a huge relief because I think I am just what this game needs. Please feel free to message me for your new ship idea. Also, if you need someone to write an episode or several to not only help give the game a much needed jump in ratings, and people playing im just sittin at home.....
    I am assuming that this has been put on hold or simply went away, The Third live stream shut down in the beginning today is the 1st and there is none to choose from to vote on from the website and no one has discussed subject since besides us, and the ones that has asked what is going on with it has had no response.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Well Ten Foward Weekly doesn't start for another 4 hours and the current situation has put slow downs and problems into everything, so we shouldn't assume anything just yet. It's best to wait for Cryptic to announce it either way then to start thinking of doomsday scenarios based on practically nothing.
    I wouldnt call that a doomsday scenario. But considering that the 4th live stream is a bust, they probably should have just emailed each other their drawings after they have finished and put them on the website or the forum or both considering what is actually going on in the world and how the internet is getting bogged down especially over in Europe where the EU is limiting internet access so that the emergency agencies can be able to use it.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Seems like there's a big 4th stream on Twitch, but I can't get it to play. (In addition to the aborted 4th stream.)
  • trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    I too am hoping for some sort of Romulan based design. Not just because Romulans are my favorite species in game but because of their influence in the Picard series.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Seems like there's a big 4th stream on Twitch, but I can't get it to play. (In addition to the aborted 4th stream.)

Looking at the posted ones. The one that crashed. The three following it are roughly 1 minute, 6 minutes, and 2 minutes in length. So, I don't think there's going to be much information contained in them.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    There is a new one posted on youtube now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ze1jGNgGs

You might want to skip the first 8 minutes or so, the audio is horrible then, with echos and what not. Afterwards, they seem to have gotten things in order.

One of the things the Corona Virus reminds us all of us is how poorly the hard- and software available for video chatting actually still sucks out of the box (at least often enough...)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited April 2020
    There is a new one posted on youtube now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ze1jGNgGs

You might want to skip the first 8 minutes or so, the audio is horrible then, with echos and what not. Afterwards, they seem to have gotten things in order.

One of the things the Corona Virus reminds us all of us is how poorly the hard- and software available for video chatting actually still sucks out of the box (at least often enough...)

Well they are using Skype. That's 99% of the problem right there.

The design also looks very much like an Akira class.
    Post edited by trennan on
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »

They were using Skype. This time they were going to try Teams for the 4th stream, as said in the first video that got cut off. That said, the issues I've heard mentioned with Twitch are something I've seen when trying to watch one of their broadcasts long after it was done, and I attributed it to a small buffer on the twitch video player.
    trennan wrote: »

They were using Skype. This time they were going to try Teams for the 4th stream, as said in the first video that got cut off. That said, the issues I've heard mentioned with Twitch are something I've seen when trying to watch one of their broadcasts long after it was done, and I attributed it to a small buffer on the twitch video player.

Yes, they used skype for all three so far. I use to use skype long ago, then I moved on to discord. Which was before Skype sold out to Windows. Which I don't even know if window's has done anything with it, since they acquired it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Wake up guys, you haven't even seen the last stream yet, where Hector took the 4 ideas and developed the concepts further:

Not sure if that means that we'll see more this week.

But the stream is pretty cool, seeing Hector work there and turn some scribbles into really cool concept art...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    really want submarine style ship lol :3
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    im very late to this, but is there still voting or posts where the concepts are still posted?

Voting is not live yet. I imagine that it will be soon, maybe this week?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Voting is now live on the news blog.
    I voted for Ship 4. It has a nice, sleek submarine feel to it.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    #1 has basically Hydrofoil look to it, but feels too much like the Jupiter Carrier, it screams cruiser. Technically could consider it an Atmospheric glider (for like Nebula, Gas Giants, Ocean world surfaces). But doesn't scream Sci-vessel to me from the only angle I'm given in the photo. (stream makes it still feel like a cruiser) But comes off Risan in terms of angles/curves.

#2 Feel like that should be an "Alliance" vessel done with the Lukari/Kentari and attached to a fleet project unlock added to the game, requiring Colony world+Research+Spire+Fleet Starbase projects(and maybe even Embassy and Dilithium Mine for sake of it in form of lowering costs of the others/let alone fleet member cost on acquiring it!). It looks like it has a Space Biome Dome for maybe doing research of specific planetary environments that they don't want to disturb during some say ruins of a civilization, or group of subjects/species that they want to get to breed to be more populous from some cataclysmic event... , additional groups when applying a vaccine(strangely not thought of this because of current events...) to some disease the planet has, so a controlled environment that they BEAM IN a Large swath of the land, and throw some test subjects in a controlled environment---lets say the dome has holoemitters and sensors for observation.

For sake of the matter why I say of Alliance= Romulan's build big things, plus holographic tech, and this feels like a big ship visually; Klingons did weapon systems and defensive plating; Feds did the Shields/Warp Core/Warp Engines; Lukari/Kentari, the Dome, ship Sensors...This also means we get the Alliance Battlecruiser ship material for another ship, maybe even console set now...As the dome could also house hostile environmental things, so technically could have a console/inante ability of "Vent Dome Environment" for combat effects-Cold(damage and recharge disruption)/Plasma (Slow and burn damage) /Electrical (damage and drain, with chance to chain) /Atmosphere(Gas/Visual sensor disruption/confuse torps-mines)/or even Exotic Matter (Physical damage, -5% outgoing damage and damage resistance). Console passive for 7% bridge officer cooldown, and + 15% photonic, Feedback Pulse boff abilities?

#3 Feels like and looks like an Advanced Warning And Control System (AWACS) ship. (I mean with two weather/sensor domes, sensor wings, sensor bar, and deflectors...maybe take those two wings and extend them out double what they are now?, like a Glider. And angle the domes like 45º port/starboard and larger, stream also showed a vertical spike thing on lower hull, do that.) Make it a Risan-Kobali-Alliance Ship, it has similar angular edges for some stuff. Think of it this way, the Risan Way of Life is similar to Kobali in acceptance as in giving to those that become one with them.

The Kobali are hated by many, but Risans welcome all, so seeing them as kindred spirits somewhat distance away leads to helping develop a ship that takes advantage of Risan waveform tech and Kobali have a term for waveforms "Vyk'tiote : "Crumpled dance". Literal translation of a certain kind of wave phenomenon."-per wiki. Console: some sort of carrier wave disruption AoE with a Confuse ability to match visual style and name it Vyk'tiote Crumpled Dance Wave, 100% confusion to Fighters/Mines/Torps, 50% to non-countered Ships, lowers -30% accuracy of enemies present against you for 5 seconds per "Wave" for 15 seconds, passive +20% accuracy, +60% EPS system, +7.5 Aux Power, +15% Defense)

#4, Space Whale, Feels like Risan-Xindi mix, specific for Gas Giant, and Ocean diver. With Sensor Domes, has the SeaQuest/20,000 Leagues Under the Sea look kinda. It is extremely organic curves and stuff is not like how most Risan things have been shown to us.

So I'm conflicted to the summer ship, I want to say #3 makes the most sense from a design standpoint from in my head of what the abilities/sci-vessel are. Like #2, but think it is too...interesting in my head for a summer ship, I honestly think it should be a multi-fleet holding project to unlock. #1 and #4 are great for a number of simple reasons, but hard to pick. (also I guess the two consoles I listed are sort of interchangeable...maybe rename some stuff...idk)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    djf021 wrote: »
    Voting is now live on the news blog.
    I voted for Ship 4. It has a nice, sleek submarine feel to it.

I did too, for the same reason, and the whale details really make the design feel right for Risa.

Number one is not too bad either though, it has a kind of Disney Nautilus feel to it in a way, so I almost chose that one.

Number two has a "Jetsons" vibe to it that has some charm, and would make a nice civilian ship, but that big dome makes it look too fragile for even a ship pressed into combat service during a shortage. Number three looks too much like the all the other Akira variants on the web (or a dog chew toy) to be interesting, it is kind of sad how the twin boom concept got worn out by overuse.
  • vongravenvongraven Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Is there any way to see the results?
  • goroshinorigoroshinori Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I'd like to see #4 with the bow of #1 and the nacelles from #2 on the ends of its wings. I imagine that as a kind of graceful semi-borg looking space whale.
  • grimoaldus1701grimoaldus1701 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Somebody needs to fix the link to see the videos on YouTube from the news blog . It's funny how quality control is majorly overlooked on the forums and client news feed/blog. I would be fired at my job if this were the case. I don't think anybody cares or is not watching. Community Manager at Cryptic Studios check your work on this forum instead of Reddit r/sto. Please...

• fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    I voted for #1
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    I had a tough time voting. I voted for number #1 though but I would not be surprised if the last one won. Did not really like the other designs.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    1. decent look if it becomes a sci carrier variant. if not, its too odd to be anything else.
    2. like a yacht in space. makes sense if it stays in the atmosphere on Risa. as mentioned, the dome to me is too fragile for combat.
    3. my choice, since none was not an option, sine it seems more user friendly to me, although the bug eyes "bug" me.
    4. too much like an orka whale. i mean, i guess its fitting since we have had whales in space. :)

must be fun and pain staking for these involved to see who wins. kind of a nice honor to have ones design in the game. good luck to them all.

transparent metal.
    Also...glass made in a vacuum, with NO moisture, etc...can be far more stronger than steel.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.