test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestions for science fiction games?

sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
edited March 2020 in Ten Forward
As i'm currently confined at my home (covid-19) at least for 2 weeks, I search more science fiction games (mmo, or rts), someone would have suggestions? thx in advance.

btw: I search for games where I can play alone, i don't like mandatory multiplayer contents.

Comments

• section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Alien: Colonial Marines , yeah it's older but few things that get the blood pumping like a bug hunt. 👽
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Surviving Mars, if you're into colony building. One of their DLCs is called "Green Planet" and involves working to actually terraform Mars.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    that would depend on your definition of science fiction, because star wars falls under that genre despite the massive amounts of fantastical elements in it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Kerbal Space Program - very educational game where you launch victims into space with your own spacecraft creations.
    Stellaris - interstellar empire building game where you can build Dyson Spheres, Ring Worlds, and other massive structures.
    No Man's Sky - It is far better than its abysmal launch.
    Outer Wilds - Interesting space exploration rpg with temporal loop elements. It is currently an Epic Games Store exclusive for PCs.
    The Outer Worlds - Fallout in space. Currently available on the Epic Games Store and Microsoft Store for PCs.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    thx, i'm going to check all these games :)
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Surviving Mars is amazing, and I also highly recommend Cliff Empire.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Outer Worlds, IMO, suffers from being written by people who wanted to carry forward the legacy of "from the makers of Fallout New Vegas", but who lacked the talent to write that many storylines. No matter what path you choose, you're causing people to suffer, starting from your very first - you need to fix your ship for the story to progress, but to get the part you need, you must either force a breakaway group on a corporate-owned colony world to return to basically slavery under the corp, or condemn the entire colony to be abandoned and probably to starve. There's no solution I've found that follows a middle way - it would be as if the battle of Goodsprings at the beginning of FNV forced you to choose to either destroy the town alongside the Powder Gangers, or immediately surrender the whole place to the Legion.

As for SF MMOs, I can (guardedly) recommend Fallout 76 - it's got a steep buy-in, but unless you insist on playing PvP later you need never give them another dime (most all of the things in the Atomic Shop are strictly cosmetic, and if you really want them there are a large number of goals you can accomplish to earn Atoms, the rough equivalent of Dil). There are some goals that call for an entire group to accomplish, but most of those put everyone in the area into an ad-hoc group that disbands the moment the goal is done (Scorched Earth, for instance, which starts every time someone drops a nuke on Fissure Prime, and calls for as many people as possible to come fight the Scorchbeast Queen and her minions - be sure to join by clicking on the hexagon with the exclamation mark, so that if/when you die, you don't drop all your carried junk for someone else to salvage before you get back).

(Full disclosure - I like the Atomic Shop stuff so much, I bought the monthly subscription, called Fallout 1st, which gives a number of unique cosmetics, the ability to pop up a "survival tent" that you can fast-travel to just like your C.A.M.P., and a monthly stipend of Atoms. When the living NPCs return to West Virginia on April 7, with the Wastelanders expansion, I'll be ready for whatever bundles drop in the Shop! :smile: )
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Aliens vs Predator (would recommend this one over Colonial Marines honestly)
    Battlestar Galactica Deadlock
    XCOM
    XCOM 2
    Battletech
    Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War series
    Command & Conquer 3 (would also recommend C&C 3 Kane's Wrath expansion)
    Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
    Stellaris
    Sins of a Solar Empire (although I played with the Star Trek Armada 3 mod and not vanilla)

If you're interested in space combat simulators there's also the Star Wars X-Wing series, which includes TIE Fighter, and the Wing Commander series.
    Notw that the XCOM games, Battletech, and Deadlock are turn based strategy, but are also pretty fun IMO. And XCOM 2 also has Steam Workshop support for mods. AvP and Space Marine are shooters, Dawn of War series and C&C3 are RTS, and Stellaris and Sins are 4x RTS.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Battlefleet Gothic Armada II,
    It's a fleet based RTS set in the 40Kverse
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      thx all :)
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Space Empires 5!

so much time you can spend there. :D
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
      Mass Effect, all of them - yes, even Andromeda, (chances are, if you're not a hard-core fan already, that you won't dislike it as much as many, too many, others have).
      jonsills wrote: »
      Outer Worlds, IMO, suffers from being written by people who wanted to carry forward the legacy of "from the makers of Fallout New Vegas", but who lacked the talent to write that many storylines. No matter what path you choose, you're causing people to suffer, starting from your very first - you need to fix your ship for the story to progress, but to get the part you need, you must either force a breakaway group on a corporate-owned colony world to return to basically slavery under the corp, or condemn the entire colony to be abandoned and probably to starve. There's no solution I've found that follows a middle way - it would be as if the battle of Goodsprings at the beginning of FNV forced you to choose to either destroy the town alongside the Powder Gangers, or immediately surrender the whole place to the Legion.
      That's not entirely true.
      You can actually convince Reed to quit and have Adelaide take his place running the colony - basically saying a big "TRIBBLE you" to Spacer's Choice and curing the plague that's keeping Edgewater basically under siege.
      At first, I admit, I saved the game, closed it and thought about what to do, because hardly any decision in most games is as clear-cut as it seems.
      But I searched for an alternative solution that, while not a 100% optimal, is way better than the initial two choices.
      kv1Ohsx.png
      Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
      - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
      - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
      - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
      Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.

As for SF MMOs, I can (guardedly) recommend Fallout 76 - it's got a steep buy-in, but unless you insist on playing PvP later you need never give them another dime (most all of the things in the Atomic Shop are strictly cosmetic, and if you really want them there are a large number of goals you can accomplish to earn Atoms, the rough equivalent of Dil). There are some goals that call for an entire group to accomplish, but most of those put everyone in the area into an ad-hoc group that disbands the moment the goal is done (Scorched Earth, for instance, which starts every time someone drops a nuke on Fissure Prime, and calls for as many people as possible to come fight the Scorchbeast Queen and her minions - be sure to join by clicking on the hexagon with the exclamation mark, so that if/when you die, you don't drop all your carried junk for someone else to salvage before you get back).

(Full disclosure - I like the Atomic Shop stuff so much, I bought the monthly subscription, called Fallout 1st, which gives a number of unique cosmetics, the ability to pop up a "survival tent" that you can fast-travel to just like your C.A.M.P., and a monthly stipend of Atoms. When the living NPCs return to West Virginia on April 7, with the Wastelanders expansion, I'll be ready for whatever bundles drop in the Shop! :smile: )

With Edgewater in The Outer Worlds, you can transfer the power to Edgewater, but replace Reed Tobson (Mayor of Edgewater) with Adelaide McDevitt (leader of Deserters) provided you find the relevant information. Which is the closest to a good ending for Edgewater.

For Fallout 76, I recommend starting on April 7 or later for the Wastelander update since they are revamping the earlier missions to include npcs instead of holotapes and terminals.
    • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
      Hadn't heard about the revamp on 76. Good excuse to transfer unneeded gear and start as close as the game gets to a New Game+ with a new toon. :smile:
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
      Mass Effect, all of them - yes, even Andromeda, (chances are, if you're not a hard-core fan already, that you won't dislike it as much as many, too many, others have).

TBH If you are a ahrd core fan ME:A has a lot going for it anyway, the game is no where enar as bad as some people make it out to be.

I think its the stiff animations that may have something to do with the hate, as well as some behind the scenes stuff coming out. Apparently word on the grapevine is that the guy behind Andromeda was supposedly racist against white people.
      Now... Andromeda's story may be alright, but again... some stuff actually leaves a cloud hanging over it. Kinda like how there's a minor cloud over ME3 because it basically took ALL of your decisions in 1 and 2, and pretty much made them pretty pointless in the end. ME3 took a LOT of flak for its ending.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
      edited March 2020

TBH If you are a ahrd core fan ME:A has a lot going for it anyway, the game is no where enar as bad as some people make it out to be.

Oh, I absolutely agree.

@rattler2 yeah, the animations leaves a lot to be desired. I got the impression, though, that most people couldn't understand that ME:A was not a continuation of Shepard's story - even though it was clearly stated it was not going to be. And that disappointed quite a lot of people.
      ME1 stumbles over things, too, which is something many conveniently forget about.
      It's a good game, but it's not a master piece, so to speak. Of course, the characters are awesome, and probably part of the problem with Andromeda is that both the protagonist and their companions are not exactly on par with the "original" companions.
      Still, I would've liked to see a second game, to give the series the opportunity to grow and evolve.
      Alas, though there are rumors of a new ME game being in early stages of development, I'm not holding my breath for it.
      What a shame.​​
      kv1Ohsx.png
      Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
      - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
      - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
      - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
      Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
      rattler2 wrote: »
      I think its the stiff animations that may have something to do with the hate, as well as some behind the scenes stuff coming out. Apparently word on the grapevine is that the guy behind Andromeda was supposedly racist against white people.
      Now... Andromeda's story may be alright, but again... some stuff actually leaves a cloud hanging over it. Kinda like how there's a minor cloud over ME3 because it basically took ALL of your decisions in 1 and 2, and pretty much made them pretty pointless in the end. ME3 took a LOT of flak for its ending.

I believe a lot of the hate for Andromeda was it was barren compared to the Milky Way Galaxy. In the first Mass Effect, there was a ton of different alien races on the Citadel and Andromeda is reduced to 3 if I remember correctly. Then there was the repetitive quests for activating the ruins.
      That could do it too...
      That's not entirely true.
      You can actually convince Reed to quit and have Adelaide take his place running the colony - basically saying a big "TRIBBLE you" to Spacer's Choice and curing the plague that's keeping Edgewater basically under siege.
      At first, I admit, I saved the game, closed it and thought about what to do, because hardly any decision in most games is as clear-cut as it seems.
      But I searched for an alternative solution that, while not a 100% optimal, is way better than the initial two choices.

thx for the suggestion of Mass effect. I spent a very very very good time; this game is awesome. I'm going to play at all of them; thx again :)
    • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
      Space Empires 5!

so much time you can spend there. :D
      High Five! I practically grew up on that series playing SE2 as shareware way back in the day. Modded the heck out of SE3 and 4. Even enjoyed Star Fury, despite its limitations, before fulling diving into SE5. Stellaris is probably more accessible to most people these days, despite being a slightly different genre(it covers a lot of the same niche - plus Stellaris has an excellent Star Trek mod).

As i'm currently confined at my home (covid-19) at least for 2 weeks, I search more science fiction games (mmo, or rts), someone would have suggestions? thx in advance.

btw: I search for games where I can play alone, i don't like mandatory multiplayer contents.
      These are all starship based, on the assumption that you're looking for something somewhat similar to STO's space combat:

-=Rebel Galaxy=-
      Action-Oriented Capital ship adventure game. Plays really nicely with a controller or keyboard and mouse. There's a space-fighter-y prequel that's been released more recently called Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, if that's your thing.

-=Star Trek: Starfleet Command 1/2/3=-
      Quite a bit dated by now and potentially hard to get ahold of(GOG only has the first one). STO's space combat takes a LOT of inspiration from this series. All the games feature a procedural galaxy, but 2 and 3 have an actual Conquest Mode/sandbox where all the factions fight for territory over a hex-based map. Weapon Arcs, Shield Facings, various subsystems all play an important role in ways that really make me wish STO went just a bit deeper with these systems.

-=SPAZ (Space Pirates and Zombies)=-
      Top-down ship/fleet management game. Very open-ended with a fun sense of humor and a myriad of ways to play as you try to build up your death fleet and try to survive/defeat the biological borg-like menace. There is a sequel, SPAZ2, but it's almost a completely different genre and, in my opinion, an 'over-engineered' step down from the first game.

-=Starsector=-
      Top-down Mount and Blade with spaceships. You can play this game a ton of different ways, from joining a faction and playing space police for them, to a pirating smuggler(or honest merchant), to an expeditionary force that surveys remote star systems for treasure and profit, to an opportunistic salvage gang, to building/colonizing and running an entirely new faction of your own creation and then waging war on the quadrant. Excellent modding community gives you tools to really custom tailor and bring your game to life in new and interesting ways.
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited April 2020
      > @sennahcherib said:
      > As i'm currently confined at my home (covid-19) at least for 2 weeks, I search more science fiction games (mmo, or rts), someone would have suggestions? thx in advance.
      >
      > btw: I search for games where I can play alone, i don't like mandatory multiplayer contents.

Try Battlefleet Gothic: Armada. It's a space combat RTS based on Warhammer 40,000.

There's also Stellaris and Sins of a Solar Empire if you want to take a crack at a more grand strategy RTS. ETA: Forgot to mention, there's even a Star Trek total conversion for Stellaris.
      Post edited by starswordc on
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      Is the Star Trek: Armada - Fleet Operations page still up and available? I can still recall those guys did some amazing stuff with the cobbled together mess Bethesda released. Fleet Ops was almost exclusively PvP and was quite enjoyable.
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
      edited April 2020
      There's the Star Trek Armada 3 mod for Sins of a Solar Empire

Saint's Row IV is a good sci-fi comedy game parodying the Matrix amongst other things.
      Post edited by theraven2378 on
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        There's the Star Trek Armada 3 mod for Sins of a Solar Empire

Saint's Row IV is a good sci-fi comedy game parodying the Matrix amongst other things.

I have always though that Saints Row III and to a far greater extent Saint's Row IV was Grand Theft Auto on LSD.
        edited April 2020
        Saint's Row IV has gone sci-fi parody and pop culture jokes.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdLW8mtPoAs
        It's a game you don't take seriously
        NMXb2ph.png
          szerontzur wrote: »
          -=Star Trek: Starfleet Command 1/2/3=-
          Quite a bit dated by now and potentially hard to get ahold of(GOG only has the first one). STO's space combat takes a LOT of inspiration from this series. All the games feature a procedural galaxy, but 2 and 3 have an actual Conquest Mode/sandbox where all the factions fight for territory over a hex-based map. Weapon Arcs, Shield Facings, various subsystems all play an important role in ways that really make me wish STO went just a bit deeper with these systems.

As much as I would love to second SFC3... the problem is unless you're virtural boxing or have a computer that is not running the current DirectX... it ain't gonna run. SFC3 doesn't like ANYTHING above 9.0c, and as far as I know, there is no patch for it, fan made or official. SFC3 is pretty much dead unfortunately. Shame too... I have a physical copy and LOVED that game.

Also I never got the sandbox conquest mode on SFC2. It was always the story campaigns. Maybe that came out in a patch later that I never got?
          edited April 2020
          There's the old school Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005) as well.
          I enjoyed running round as Vader cutting down the rebels with force abilities and the lightsaber.
          I also recommend the 2016 Doom, great for stress busting as you the player rips and tears their way through the hordes of hell on Mars.
          Post edited by theraven2378 on
          NMXb2ph.png
            I have finished all the Mass effect games (the 3rd, two different endings), excepted Andromeda. I begun andromeda but the animations are really ugly, and the human characters look like apes, their bodies are really badly proportioned. I don't know if I could forget these problems and continue the adventure in this game.

A mmo in the Mass Effect universe would have been really cool, or other games with the possibility to play the other races. Mass Effect franchise is really cool, even if their devs have closed the door of a lot of possibilities for a real Mass Effect 4 or 5.

I totally stop to play STO, and after Mass Effect; I don't know if I would have the courage to come back. :p

btw, what do you think about Bioshock? maybe the next game, that I'm going to try.

thx, for you comments.