test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

✯✯✯ STAR TREK PICARD ✯✯✯ (reactions and discussion WITH SPOILERS)

1272829303133»

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,473 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Also, I'd have to ascribe the reddish tinge to sand and dust suspended in the atmosphere - the blue part has to do with the diffraction index of oxygen. Just about any world habitable to humans will have a blue sky, of one shade or another. Heck, even Mars' sky is blue, when the wind is calm and the sand is down.

But isn't the color of an planet's sky partially due to the light spectrum of the star it is orbiting? So even though Mar's atmosphere is blue, Proxima Centauri b's atmosphere could be a different color since Proxima Centauri is a Red Dwarf.

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    Also, I'd have to ascribe the reddish tinge to sand and dust suspended in the atmosphere - the blue part has to do with the diffraction index of oxygen. Just about any world habitable to humans will have a blue sky, of one shade or another. Heck, even Mars' sky is blue, when the wind is calm and the sand is down.

But isn't the color of an planet's sky partially due to the light spectrum of the star it is orbiting? So even though Mar's atmosphere is blue, Proxima Centauri b's atmosphere could be a different color since Proxima Centauri is a Red Dwarf.

Yes, Proxima Centauri is an M4 red dwarf and those can be very noticeably different in color from from an F, G, or K. The sky (if any of the planets have an oxygen atmosphere) would still be mostly blueish because even a red dwarf still puts out some blue light and blue scatters in oxygen atmospheres a lot more than red does.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,757 Bug Hunter
    I like your explanation phoenix, so very informative answer you have given!
    aYC8Lwf.png
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Non-canonically, the non-canonical and fiction 128 Triangulum A, AKA Eisn (non-canonically), is a G9 (I assume a G9V). Slightly lower color temperature than the sun but still a yellow; I doubt a human eye could tell the difference.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,292 Arc User
    I learned a more extensive list:

Oh Wow, Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now, Sweetie.

That added in the Wolf-Rayet Stars (normally WR), and some additional variation in the Carbon Stars (R N S) instead of just N.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,292 Arc User
    The Picard Novel is on sale (Kindle) for $1.99.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    Not really watched much of Picard, but there's a few things that had me scratching my head as "Really? They're going that way."
    I'm only going to address one of them here...

They know EXACTLY down to the second how long Picard has left to live with his synth body... how do they know this information? And is there a database in Starfleet Intelligence with everyone's exact lifespans?
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,019 Arc User
    They know EXACTLY down to the second how long Picard has left to live with his synth body... how do they know this information? And is there a database in Starfleet Intelligence with everyone's exact lifespans?
    Except they don't. They designed the body to expire in an amount of time reasonably equal to what his old body would have, but there isn't a set shutoff date like June 23rd 2430 or something.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 750 Arc User
    If I may, our real understanding of the universe is still evolving, and most everyone on this forum are making assumptions. Hobus supernova-ed, and as someone said EMP. yes, maybe. but all we know is the planets were destoryed, which has a VERY large meaning. were they destroyed like in JJtrek where the planet was blown apart? was is some EMP-tsunami where the atmosphere was ripped away? how about a Gamma burst? even today there is speculation that Gamma bursts are not only capable of FTL, but movement in TIME. so maybe Romulus and Remus are still there, just irradiated by a massive FTL gamma burst. Faster-Than-Light Speeds Could Be Why Gamma-Ray Bursts Seem to Go Backwards in Time
    80d.gif
  • To the show that was supposed to start respecting the fans, the moving & inspiring history of Star Trek, and our desire for hope in a bright & better future, all I have to say is: Ewwww, GROSS!!!!!!!!!!
  • So sad to see how many ppl involved in real Trek have made an appearance.. because of what they're contributing to. At least it's been a sinking ship, though. It's almost like kharma for shooting down & attacking Tim Russ and his series...
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited April 5

I hope they get the idea of Q right instead of misinterpreting it like they do most of everything else in DSC and PIC. In TNG (and the other Berman Treks since Berman apparently understood what Roddenberry was going for) Q was an allegory for the Trickster deities that would shake people out of their comfort zones with tricks in order to teach them various sorts of wisdom and goad them into realizing their potential.

Those Tricksters were not actually evil despite some of them being thought of in that way later on when the pantheons/folklore they were part of fell out of favor, but with Kurtzman's bunch being such a blunt instrument I wonder if they can even distinguish the difference.
  • reimu#1706 reimu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 9
    i doubt they will get q right they seem to have no respect for what came before if this is the future of humanity as they see it i rather a meteor wipe out all life on the planet this is not the future Gene Roddenberry envisioned maybe it was a naive vision but it gave hope for the future of humanity

honestly it feels like a lot of this new shows are some kind of au timeline where the federation abandoned its founding ideals and everyone's devolved to the worse in humanity maybe the showrunner mistake the federation for section 31 or something