test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you get anything if your rocket goes the furthest? (First contact day rocket thing)

captiannemo117captiannemo117 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
3rd year playing the first contact day rocket launch thing, have never won once. Is there any point in competing beyond not getting slapped with an AFK penalty?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    I am honestly not sure. At one point, my rocket hardly did anything, yet it had purple parts across the board. I haven't seen much to indicate that how far the rocket goes influences your marks earned, though I'm willing to concede otherwise if shown such.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    Even with all purple parts there's always a chance it could malfunction but typically it will go farther than a all green one. As for winning, nope, just bragging rights.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    No.

And that's a good thing, because it seems to be largely randomly determined whose rocket will get the farthest. (Largely, because most times those who don't really build a rocket, will not get very far.)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    It's random, so even the brief thrill of victory loses it's luster almost immediately!
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    When it rocket launch time. Just toss out a /e airguitar and jam to Steppenwolf while waiting on your reward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4WiyxXpyZc
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    You get to listen to good music, and get personal bragging rights?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    You don't get anything.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Well, I won today, by 1 meter, and can confirm, you get absolutely nothing for "winning". I can see why people AFKed this in the past, there's no reason to try to win.

And now some people are suffering from the AFK timer by being hit with a 30 minute penalty even though they launched a rocket with all purple parts.
  • darzil#7269 darzil Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Occasionally there is a message about a large pile of parts appearing and to grab some. I’ve not noticed anything change, is this in a particular place or something? No indicators appear on the map.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Occasionally there is a message about a large pile of parts appearing and to grab some. I’ve not noticed anything change, is this in a particular place or something? No indicators appear on the map.
    you have to find it, and probably won't. I THINK it modifies a part pile to let you rummage more than 3 times per visit.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I've never bothered trying to find the large cache of parts. I just build my rocket and hope it doesn't blow up. Thankfully I've never been hit with an AFK.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I've never bothered trying to find the large cache of parts. I just build my rocket and hope it doesn't blow up. Thankfully I've never been hit with an AFK.

I found it once.. nothing great, i think i got 2 purples or one blue and one purple... was the first time this event was introduced and i wasnt even trying to find it... but besides that, no, nothing to win... yesterday my rocket had blue engines and everything else purple.. and i won.. so no idea, really.. RNGesus??
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Some fixes listed in the latest patch notes

First Contact Day Event:
    Resolved an issue that would sometimes cause AFK status to be applied after completing First Contact Day – Model Rocket TFO.
    Resolved an issue that would sometimes cause the end scores to be unreliable based on the parts collected.
    First Contact Day – Model Rocket TFO, will no longer backfill the match if someone drops out.
    Resolved an issue in the Patrol, “One night in Bozeman”, that would sometimes prevent progression on the “Defeat Borg” objective.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    I'm glad they're fixing the AFK penalty for those who were unfortunate to get them. I haven't, even though I'm running five accounts every time I play it. Everyone had gotten the mark boxes, progression and badge boxes. I intend to run it and try to get all the badges, so that will run over the two-week mark. We'll see.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • vicormavicorma Member Posts: 28 Arc User

foxman00 wrote: »

First Contact Day Event:
    Resolved an issue that would sometimes cause AFK status to be applied after completing First Contact Day – Model Rocket TFO.
    Resolved an issue that would sometimes cause the end scores to be unreliable based on the parts collected.
    First Contact Day – Model Rocket TFO, will no longer backfill the match if someone drops out.
    Resolved an issue in the Patrol, “One night in Bozeman”, that would sometimes prevent progression on the “Defeat Borg” objective.

Unfortunately they didn't solved the AFK ban in the rocket TFO. Was the only with 3x purple and hit 332 distance and a AFK, no rewards :(
    Hera%20squad%20logo1a.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Wonder what's causing the AFKs?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,451 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Wonder what's causing the AFKs?

Incompetent programmers. They probably made the AFK trigger something stupid, like the amount of movement a player does.

No the AFK is not being caused by incompetent programmers. Less name calling and more trying to help them to pinpoint the bug that is causing this behavior for some players. It has not affected me before and after this patch.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    vicorma wrote: »
    foxman00 wrote: »

First Contact Day Event:

Unfortunately they didn't solved the AFK ban in the rocket TFO. Was the only with 3x purple and hit 332 distance and a AFK, no rewards :(

I only had one AFK, and was caused by lag, the rest of the time, no problem at all.. (just played with other char and problem solved.. but still)
    This is a stupid question, but I'll throw it out anyway. For people getting AFK Penalties this year while not AFKing, did you routinely AFK this Event during previous Years of this Event?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    This is a stupid question, but I'll throw it out anyway. For people getting AFK Penalties this year while not AFKing, did you routinely AFK this Event during previous Years of this Event?

In my case, never.. i try to get the best parts possible.. i hate to stand still doing nothing... unless i have a phone call or something.. :neutral:
    ltminns wrote: »

There are no stupid questions :)

That was actually a good question, IMO.

I haven't ever AFK'd any event and haven't run into this one myself.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Well, here is my thinking on my 'stupid' question. (It is a bit long winded).

For an example I submit to you Commander Rojal, the NPC that was supposed to award Romulan Characters the T'Ress Maintenance Doff at New Romulus Command years ago. Code was implemented to direct Romulan Characters during the Junior Officers Appreciation Event to see Commander Rojal to be awarded T'Ress.

Problem was Rojal was never activated on-map. So Romulans could never claim T'Ress as Rojal was MIA, and were directed to their Allied Factions Academy to get the Allied Faction's Maintenance Doff instead. It was fully turned off thereafter for other JOA Events... except for some reason two months back the direction to Commander Rojal was back in the back-to-back JOA Events.

Now, my thought is that after a few years of people complaining about all the AFKers in the First Contact Day Event, last year they started to add code to award AFK Penalties to those that did. It was never implemented as it was too buggy, but a variable to indicate that a Character was AFK still was active, was set by the some remnant code and remained in place for that Character in the Characters database entries.

This year they actually implement AFK code in a different manner but that neglected variable still somehow triggers the new AFK routines. As that variable was not implemented in this year's routine it never gets cleared so while you are not AFKing according to this new code, that variable may affect that Character anyway either all or some of the time.

The only people that answered my 'stupid' question were those that NEVER AFK'd this Event in the past and have never received the penalty during this year, while mysteriously others get the Penalty even after fulfilling the obligations in the Event to avoid the Penalty.

Thoughts??
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,451 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    No the AFK is not being caused by incompetent programmers.
    It literally is. All they had to do was:
    IF StabiliserVariable == Common AND EngineVarible == Common AND HullVarible == Common;
    THEN AFKPenalty = TRUE;
    ELSE AFKPenalty = FALSE;

Their code is not as simple as that.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    No the AFK is not being caused by incompetent programmers.
    It literally is. All they had to do was:
    IF StabiliserVariable == Common AND EngineVarible == Common AND HullVarible == Common;
    THEN AFKPenalty = TRUE;
    ELSE AFKPenalty = FALSE;
    Their code is not as simple as that.
    Nemo's example is more a matter of failing the mission by not building a rocket. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • revanmichaels#6727 revanmichaels Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    I play on PS4. I have run this twice each day of the past 3 days. I have yet to win the race and it’s not giving me credit for complete the daily event. I end up killing Borg in Bosman to complete the event.

Is it supposed to be like that??
This discussion has been closed.