test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

✯✯✯ STAR TREK PICARD ✯✯✯ (reactions and discussion WITH SPOILERS)

1262728293032»

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    There's also the fact that Romulan physiology implies that their home sun is a G-type like the Sun, or one of the dimmer F-types at most - and those stars simply don't go supernova, they lack the mass. It would be easier to believe in the FTL supernova, as we know that in Trek things that access subspace can go much faster than mere light.

Fortunately, PIC made no attempt to explain the issue, merely noting that it happened. As we've been told Kurtzman and company consulted with the STO devs quite a bit, I would tend to assume they'll be using the STO explanation, but nobody will be able to get to Hobus to check it out because of the existing Romulan forces still in the region (after all, the player character is the one who gets to find out what happened).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    There's also the fact that Romulan physiology implies that their home sun is a G-type like the Sun, or one of the dimmer F-types at most - and those stars simply don't go supernova, they lack the mass. It would be easier to believe in the FTL supernova, as we know that in Trek things that access subspace can go much faster than mere light.

Fortunately, PIC made no attempt to explain the issue, merely noting that it happened. As we've been told Kurtzman and company consulted with the STO devs quite a bit, I would tend to assume they'll be using the STO explanation, but nobody will be able to get to Hobus to check it out because of the existing Romulan forces still in the region (after all, the player character is the one who gets to find out what happened).

It would likely be a variation of the STO explanation since I extremely doubt that Picard will blame it on

SGTvZP1.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    There's also the fact that Romulan physiology implies that their home sun is a G-type like the Sun, or one of the dimmer F-types at most - and those stars simply don't go supernova, they lack the mass.
    Yeah, but Romulans are originally from Vulcan and migrated to Romulus.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    There's also the fact that Romulan physiology implies that their home sun is a G-type like the Sun, or one of the dimmer F-types at most - and those stars simply don't go supernova, they lack the mass.
    They still couldn't live under the sort of star that can go supernova - it wouldn't support a Vulcanoid planet. Same reason why we don't bother looking for Earth-sized planets orbiting B-type stars, because they wouldn't do us any good anyway. And in order to go supernova, the star not only has to be much more massive than the Sun, but also needs to have left the main sequence. So no, the Romulans wouldn't have settled on a planet orbiting such a star, not if they had the resources needed to mount interstellar colonization expeditions in the first place. (Niven's Known Space is the only series I know of with humans occupying grossly unsuitable planets, and in each case it was because they didn't have FTL yet - ramscoop-powered robot probes were dispatched to likely stars with instructions to maser a message to Earth if they found a habitable spot. Then one-way colony "slowship" were dispatched, with colonists in suspended animation, and only then did they find out that the spot was either small, like Plateau with its 40 square miles atop Mt. Lookitthat, or seasonal, like We Made It with its summer and winter 200-mph surface winds. After they bought the hyperdrive shunt from the Outsiders, they stopped colonizing marginal worlds and started going to places like Down.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    They still couldn't live under the sort of star that can go supernova - it wouldn't support a Vulcanoid planet. Same reason why we don't bother looking for Earth-sized planets orbiting B-type stars, because they wouldn't do us any good anyway. And in order to go supernova, the star not only has to be much more massive than the Sun, but also needs to have left the main sequence. So no, the Romulans wouldn't have settled on a planet orbiting such a star, not if they had the resources needed to mount interstellar colonization expeditions in the first place. (Niven's Known Space is the only series I know of with humans occupying grossly unsuitable planets, and in each case it was because they didn't have FTL yet - ramscoop-powered robot probes were dispatched to likely stars with instructions to maser a message to Earth if they found a habitable spot. Then one-way colony "slowship" were dispatched, with colonists in suspended animation, and only then did they find out that the spot was either small, like Plateau with its 40 square miles atop Mt. Lookitthat, or seasonal, like We Made It with its summer and winter 200-mph surface winds. After they bought the hyperdrive shunt from the Outsiders, they stopped colonizing marginal worlds and started going to places like Down.)

The Romulans could not live with that kind of star as their primary, but they could very well live around an F, G, or K that is in a distant binary system (those can range out to lightweeks or lightmonths between the stars) which contains a massive enough star to supernova. For example, if Alpha Centauri were to mysteriously explode the light from it would take about 76 days to reach its binary companion star Proxima Centauri.

With that setup not only would the timing would work out well without even having to resort to FTL explosions of some sort, it could also have been a good allegory about the hot current issue of government controlled science.

For example, the party line could have been that the big hot main star of the system was definitely going to be they type that skips the supernova stage and quietly slips into the black hole stage, and any scientists who said otherwise were muzzled by the state to avoid "unnecessary panic" or whatever, over time they could have started believing their own propaganda and then when it blew up in their faces they were ill-prepared to deal with it and the people across the empire lost confidence in the government with set off a wave of fragmentation, power struggles, and perhaps even rebellions. It is a classic, but they chose to do the silly "supernova is eating the empire" thing instead.
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    The Romulans could not live with that kind of star as their primary, but they could very well live around an F, G, or K that is in a distant binary system (those can range out to lightweeks or lightmonths between the stars) which contains a massive enough star to supernova.

Star Trek references numerous astrophysically... unlikely... stars as hosting inhabited systems.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    even if they went with star charts (again) and made romulus a binary system, the system's stars are M class (which is a red dwarf) and K class (which isn't given a proper classification, but given it was located in between class M and class G - which is yellow dwarfs like sol - one would assume K class stars are also dwarf stars) - neither of which is big enough to supernova​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User

The Romulans could not live with that kind of star as their primary, but they could very well live around an F, G, or K that is in a distant binary system (those can range out to lightweeks or lightmonths between the stars) which contains a massive enough star to supernova. For example, if Alpha Centauri were to mysteriously explode the light from it would take about 76 days to reach its binary companion star Proxima Centauri.

With that setup not only would the timing would work out well without even having to resort to FTL explosions of some sort, it could also have been a good allegory about the hot current issue of government controlled science.

For example, the party line could have been that the big hot main star of the system was definitely going to be they type that skips the supernova stage and quietly slips into the black hole stage, and any scientists who said otherwise were muzzled by the state to avoid "unnecessary panic" or whatever, over time they could have started believing their own propaganda and then when it blew up in their faces they were ill-prepared to deal with it and the people across the empire lost confidence in the government with set off a wave of fragmentation, power struggles, and perhaps even rebellions. It is a classic, but they chose to do the silly "supernova is eating the empire" thing instead.

Funny you mention that, the novel outright has the romulans muzzling scientists.
    edited April 2020
    K-type stars are popularly referred to as "orange dwarfs", and include such notable examples as Alpha Centauri B, Epsilon Indi, and Sigma Draconis. The mnemonic I was taught in astronomy classes was "Oh, Be A Fine Girl (or Guy, depending), Kiss Me Now", for the range from O-type blue-white stars down to N-type brown dwarfs.

It's true that Trek has chosen, ah, unlikely stars from time to time, which is probably why the nomenclature used in TNG and later didn't match to any known systems. Gamma Trianguli, for instance, which I unwittingly repurposed in one of my Ten Forward stories using its true nature, is an A-type star about 2.7 times as massive as the Sun, and rotates so rapidly that rather than any planets it's still surrounded by a disc of rocky debris. In TOS:"The Apple", however, it hosts the M-class planet Gamma Trianguli VI, an Edenic world held in developmental stasis by an ancient computer posing as a god.

This is unrelated to discussions of Romulus, as to the best of my knowledge there has never been an attempt to assign that system a real-world stellar reference - unlike, say, Vulcan, which is supposed to orbit in the 40 Eridani trinary system. (If we assume the large world visible in some Vulcan sky shots is a gas giant which Vulcan itself orbits, that would make it the largest moon of 40 Eridani Ab, an identified gas-giant planet. This would, of course, fit in with Spock's statement in TOS:"The Man Trap" that "Vulcan has no moon" - it can't very well have a moon if it is a moon, now can it?)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    well, from what we see of the star at the beginning of nemesis, romulus' star appears to be a yellow dwarf - just like earth's​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    edited April 2020
    well, from what we see of the star at the beginning of nemesis, romulus' star appears to be a yellow dwarf - just like earth's​​

Actually from the visuals Romulus's sun could be F, G, or K since they are shadings and not vivid primary color differences. It is more like the difference between cool white and warm white light bulbs than it is distinct colors like Christmas tree lights. In fact, from the ground the atmospheric effect (the way noon sun and evening sun have different colors on Earth) would probably drown out the difference. The difference between an A and an M (or either of them and a G) would most likely be obvious even with the atmosphere effect though so it is almost certainly one of the first three.

Vulcan's immediate primary is a K class star and they show the sky as blue some of the time (probably around noon) and various redish shades at other times for instance. Their "morning" and "evening" skies probably last for more of the day than they do on Earth and they may even have a slightly "warmer" tone at noon. Using that logic an F type star would probably result in more blue skies over the course of the day and a slightly "colder" shade at noon than Earth has. And of course a lot of it would depend on how much dust there is in the atmosphere at any given time and other atmospheric factors.

One interesting thing is that the 40 Eridani trinary system has an M4 flare star as one of its stars which would rather neatly explain the need for the Vulcan inner eyelid.
    edited April 2020
    One interesting thing is that the 40 Eridani trinary system has an M4 flare star as one of its stars which would rather neatly explain the need for the Vulcan inner eyelid.
    Fortunately, that star orbits at a sufficient distance that the flares, while annoyingly bright, would not regularly scrub the planet bare of life - one of the reasons the super-earth orbiting Proxima Centauri is a poor candidate for extraterrestrial life (along with the fact that it's probably tidally locked to its primary, which isn't really conducive to the whole "life" thing outside the shadow meridian).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    proxima centauri can't support humanoid life anyway - its entire atmosphere is saturated with a toxic substance that's fatal to human life...at least until it's purged from the planet by the nue-guyen​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Also, I'd have to ascribe the reddish tinge to sand and dust suspended in the atmosphere - the blue part has to do with the diffraction index of oxygen. Just about any world habitable to humans will have a blue sky, of one shade or another. Heck, even Mars' sky is blue, when the wind is calm and the sand is down.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Also, I'd have to ascribe the reddish tinge to sand and dust suspended in the atmosphere - the blue part has to do with the diffraction index of oxygen. Just about any world habitable to humans will have a blue sky, of one shade or another. Heck, even Mars' sky is blue, when the wind is calm and the sand is down.

But isn't the color of an planet's sky partially due to the light spectrum of the star it is orbiting? So even though Mar's atmosphere is blue, Proxima Centauri b's atmosphere could be a different color since Proxima Centauri is a Red Dwarf.

starkaos wrote: »

But isn't the color of an planet's sky partially due to the light spectrum of the star it is orbiting? So even though Mar's atmosphere is blue, Proxima Centauri b's atmosphere could be a different color since Proxima Centauri is a Red Dwarf.

Yes, Proxima Centauri is an M4 red dwarf and those can be very noticeably different in color from from an F, G, or K. The sky (if any of the planets have an oxygen atmosphere) would still be mostly blueish because even a red dwarf still puts out some blue light and blue scatters in oxygen atmospheres a lot more than red does.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    I like your explanation phoenix, so very informative answer you have given!
    0zxlclk.png
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Non-canonically, the non-canonical and fiction 128 Triangulum A, AKA Eisn (non-canonically), is a G9 (I assume a G9V). Slightly lower color temperature than the sun but still a yellow; I doubt a human eye could tell the difference.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I learned a more extensive list:

Oh Wow, Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now, Sweetie.

That added in the Wolf-Rayet Stars (normally WR), and some additional variation in the Carbon Stars (R N S) instead of just N.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Picard Novel is on sale (Kindle) for $1.99.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Not really watched much of Picard, but there's a few things that had me scratching my head as "Really? They're going that way."
    I'm only going to address one of them here...

They know EXACTLY down to the second how long Picard has left to live with his synth body... how do they know this information? And is there a database in Starfleet Intelligence with everyone's exact lifespans?
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    If I may, our real understanding of the universe is still evolving, and most everyone on this forum are making assumptions. Hobus supernova-ed, and as someone said EMP. yes, maybe. but all we know is the planets were destoryed, which has a VERY large meaning. were they destroyed like in JJtrek where the planet was blown apart? was is some EMP-tsunami where the atmosphere was ripped away? how about a Gamma burst? even today there is speculation that Gamma bursts are not only capable of FTL, but movement in TIME. so maybe Romulus and Remus are still there, just irradiated by a massive FTL gamma burst. Faster-Than-Light Speeds Could Be Why Gamma-Ray Bursts Seem to Go Backwards in Time
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • To the show that was supposed to start respecting the fans, the moving & inspiring history of Star Trek, and our desire for hope in a bright & better future, all I have to say is: Ewwww, GROSS!!!!!!!!!!
  • So sad to see how many ppl involved in real Trek have made an appearance.. because of what they're contributing to. At least it's been a sinking ship, though. It's almost like kharma for shooting down & attacking Tim Russ and his series...
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited April 2021

I hope they get the idea of Q right instead of misinterpreting it like they do most of everything else in DSC and PIC. In TNG (and the other Berman Treks since Berman apparently understood what Roddenberry was going for) Q was an allegory for the Trickster deities that would shake people out of their comfort zones with tricks in order to teach them various sorts of wisdom and goad them into realizing their potential.

Those Tricksters were not actually evil despite some of them being thought of in that way later on when the pantheons/folklore they were part of fell out of favor, but with Kurtzman's bunch being such a blunt instrument I wonder if they can even distinguish the difference.
  • reimu#1706 reimu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    i doubt they will get q right they seem to have no respect for what came before if this is the future of humanity as they see it i rather a meteor wipe out all life on the planet this is not the future Gene Roddenberry envisioned maybe it was a naive vision but it gave hope for the future of humanity

honestly it feels like a lot of this new shows are some kind of au timeline where the federation abandoned its founding ideals and everyone's devolved to the worse in humanity maybe the showrunner mistake the federation for section 31 or something
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    jake477 wrote: »
    westx211 wrote: »
    After watching the first episode, I found it interesting but... I kind of hate what they've done to the federation. Apparently nothing is allowed to be a happy future, everything has to be dark and dreary. Oh the federation that has grown so much that by the time of starfleet racism amongst humans has been completely eliminated, oh the federation built upon ideals of peace and unity is turned into a xenophobic racists allegory for todays United States government. The federation would never turn down the option to aid refugees FROM ANY SPECIES. Its just not in the federation to be... bigoted. Don't give me this TRIBBLE about how Androids (OF WHICH THERE ARE ONLY A HANDFUL IN STAR TREK) decided to attack the shipyards on mars (THAT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SHOWN TO BE IN SPACE) and destroyed the planet when absolutely no reason is given for them to do such a thing and suddenly that one act of terrorism turns the entire federation into xenophobic bigots. Like damn, I hate how every new show for adults just has to make things "apocalyptic" or "bleak" because they think dark shows make things interesting and then they don't care what they do, or what they change. This is like what happened in the last jedi when they made Luke consider murdering his nephew.

Sorry for the rant but I just really am upset by the portrayal of the federation in the show.

Amen. The Federation are the ultimate good guys to the point they are willing to throw their own CIA (Section 31) under the bus to keep those ideals in tact. Section 31 is devoted to the security of the Federation but every Captain who has ran up against them even wants them gone....and for good reason. They live and die by their ideals which is why the Federation in Star Trek has been inspiring and why it really hits home when the Captains of the series do go off the deep end and all the crew gasps in horror as does the audience. The Dominion War was the ultimate fight for those ideas against an enemy who seeks to impose order among what they perceive as chaos, ironically the Dominion and Borg have a lot of philosophical similarities just for different reasons. The Federation and even the Klingon Empire feels the same way, to a degree has proven time and again that the ideals of peace and freedom for all species can be fought for and won. If anything it should have affirmed the Federation Constitution not completely obliterate it.

It is possible that the Federation civilians grew tired with the number of wars Starfleet was involved with and isolationist sentiments reached a breaking point when the rogue synths rebelled. We only ever see the Starfleet side in the previous series not the civilian side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"