test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does Overwhelming Force proc Checkmate?

mournblade#1863 mournblade Member Posts: 74 Arc User
This question is directed towards PC players, since on console we don't have a buff/debuff tray to look at to see what's proc'd and what hasn't.

So for those not familiar with it, Overwhelming Force procs Photonic Shockwave on High Yield torpedo. Checkmate procs an EPG buff on Photonic Shockwave, among other CTRL abilities. So my question here is, does the Photonic Shockwave proc from Overwhelming Force also proc Checkmate?

The issue I've traditionally had with Checkmate is that I use Improved Gravewell, which means my GW3 is up for 40 seconds. That also means I'm only proccing Checkmate once every 40 seconds or so. My thought is that if I'm also running Overwhelming Force and it procs Checkmate, it would create better synergy with my Starship traits on my SCI build.

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Sadly it will not.

The key part is in bold -
    After achieving level 5 in your Science variant Flagship’s Starship Mastery, you will unlock the Check Mate Starship Trait. While this trait is slotted, activating a control Bridge Officer ability will provide a boost to your Exotic Damage and Projectile Weapon damage for a short time.

Checkmate only procs off Bridge Officer Abilities and nothing else, so a secondary effect like the Shockwave from Overwhelming Force will not proc Checkmate. :disappointed:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I think the rule of thumb is that stuff like that is only procced by BOFF powers, not another trait or console ability that duplicates a BOFF power. It is unfortunate because, as you note, they give some interesting ideas for synergistic trait builds that ultimately have no synergy.

If you want to proc checkmate more, you probably need to fit in a tractor beam.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Sounds like an experimentation project, but I'd probably side with Sea on this one.

Some interactions can be weird.. and this thread has made me want to check if crafted spread torps can proc the Entwined Tactical Matricies trait. (Seeing as [over] beams can proc Overwhelming Force..)