test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rocket Building - no backpack, can't hand over part

ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
Joined the Rocket Building TFO but it won't let me participate. I arrived with no backpack and though I've dug out an engine part it won't let me hand it in at my table. It won't let me do anything. I couldn't adjust parts afterwards either.

I got nothing and I got slapped with an "AFK" ban on this toon because the tfo itself prevented me from participating. Seriously? Your "fix" broke this. Thanks a lot /s

Fed-rom in case that matters.
Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.

Comments

• lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    If you enter the event without a backpack just keep going to the piles and digging through them. I did that and it gave me credit.

OTOH, I also had the event slap me with an AFK and no reward even though I did fully participate. Had my backpack, dug through piles constantly, upgraded, got 2nd in the launch with purple engine, purple hull and blue stablilizers and still got slapped with an AFK and no reward. Really? Remove the AFK penalty if it isn't going to work right.
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    I just ran the TFO. I had a backpack. Was able to do everything and even won with the furthest traveled. But I got no reward and now have an AFK penalty. :(
  • maimikadomaimikado Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I played the event fine launched the rocket got 3rd place and said i was afk so yea i guess it don't work.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    @ambassadorkael#6946 It looks like that instituted AKF measure is causing issues.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    No backpack, unable to do anything but loot parts, which was pointless as my characters slot on the list was blank and got no rocket at the end. The afk penalty was just a kick in the teeth from a bug thats been present in this event previous to this years "coat of paint".

Also this is second day in a row this happened, once for each account now.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,900 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    I played the event today and my backpack disappeared after I found my first piece, but I then couldn't hand it in at my bench.
    Is there some buff, perhaps from T6 reps, that is clearing the backpack off our characters?

Edit:
    Actually, come to think of it, yesterday I had to play twice.
    I got a ARK-penalty the first time because I had the Magenta backpack, but my name wasn't in the list of players on the right of my screen and the play named there was also wearing a Magenta backpack.
    There was no name at the blue symbol, but I couldn't interact with the blue bench at all.
    Post edited by inferiority on
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Same problem as OP. Somehow they managed to break a event that worked just fine for several years.
    1kltX02.jpg
    Happened again, same toon. Ffs, fix this if you insist on having an AFK penalty and not give rewards for "non participation" when that lack of participation was because you have a bugged queue. Really this penalty and punishment needs to be removed until the queue is fixed!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Try another Character if it keeps happening on the same Character.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited April 2020
    ltminns wrote: »
    Try another Character if it keeps happening on the same Character.

@ltminns Thank your contribution. Problem is that this character is in need of marks to level reps as she's very new and badly kitted out this is the idea TFO to run her in. So how do you suggest I fix that? Or should we just stop asking for a game that idk, works?
    Edit: This is also meant to be a fun little event thing, not a grind fest that constantly lands you with an AFK penalty so you can't even do other queues to get marks. Like are you for real or what? How am I at all supposed to get marks. Not all of us have our asses planted at home 24/7. Some of us are out there risking our lives so everyone else can stay safe. Get home to some very limited game time before we have to risk our lives again tomorrow, with little in the way of compensation and yet a broken queue keeps punishing us and preventing us from playing.

Yet this is not the only issue. Just ran it again today. Got backpack and participation. Great. Okay decided to run it again as as I said she needs the marks. I participated all the way through it. Got my rocket to blue during the gather event then during the "fiddle with the junk to get better parts" I got hit with a brief spat of snrs but it cleared and I got myself a purple engine out of it.
    AND YET this broken queue tells me I got an AFK penalty for "non participation"! Pardon my French but what, pray tell, the ****!

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, I meant it to get you past this BS before they fix what they broke so you don't miss out on the Event Reward. Running it on another Character, that works, at least will get you the Daily Progress, then try back on the Character that is having the problems. Any of your Characters can run this for Marks while only one per 20 hours will progress the Event.

To me it was looking for trouble adding these 'touch up the paint' changes to the point they were not documented in the Patch Notes but only in the Community Manager's Twitter Feed.

There are numerous Bug Reports in on this so hopefully it will be fixed by this week.

Thank you for your reply.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Twice more an AFK penalty, but under different circumstances. Completely different toons so @ltminns idea of chaging toons does jack TRIBBLE to change it.
    Both time arrived with backpack, both times participated. First time, got my rocket to purple in the gathering phase so saw no reason to do anything in the adjustment phase. Result, AFK penalty and no rewards.
    Had just enough time to do it once more so switched toons. Got in with backpack, this time I "only" got to blue in gathering phase but due to UI lag in the adjustment phase so having to spam F to get to the scan game and sometimes ending it prematurely thus "wasting" the part I ran out of junk before end of phase. Result, AFK penalty and no reward.

Won't have time to play more today so one more day wasted on this. Congrats on completely wrecking the event.
  • drcybertronic5drcybertronic5 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Same, I getting this bug too
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    I had this happen very early this morning. I loaded in a bit late, past the briefing phase, but very early into the gathering phase. I took off running to the nearest parts area, but realized when I got there that I had no backpack, and my name wasn't on the list. I then logged out, because I knew that it wouldn't work like that, and logged into another character, and everything worked fine for her. Are others that are experiencing this loading in late?

I could swear that I had seen reports of the "No backpack" bug in previous years, but couldn't find any by searching First Contact Day in this forum section. I do know that I have seen InvalidEntityName on the list in previous years, though.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    I have never loaded in late, although I have seen people load in late but they have also seem fine due to the fact that everyone collects, builds, and launches, only once did I have a situation where 2 rockets never built or launched.
  • scorpwanna#3529 scorpwanna Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    I call it Lagging in.. Happened to me 2 times already this week. Digging through parts still allowed me to complete the daily. Like others, I had no name next to my color and no EHS either.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,475 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Some fixes for the event are in the latest patch notes.

First Contact Day Event:
    Resolved an issue that would sometimes cause AFK status to be applied after completing First Contact Day – Model Rocket TFO.
    Resolved an issue that would sometimes cause the end scores to be unreliable based on the parts collected.
    First Contact Day – Model Rocket TFO, will no longer backfill the match if someone drops out.
    Resolved an issue in the Patrol, “One night in Bozeman”, that would sometimes prevent progression on the “Defeat Borg” objective.

Source: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11409123-pc-and-console-patch-notes-for-4/9/20
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Let's hope that fixes it. Certain people seem to be having issues quite often, while others of us aren't. My one experience with this was the only time that I had a significant bug with this TFO in over 200 tries.

The note about backfilling when a player drops is likely what caused my one glitch.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.