test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

prolonged engagement set

sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
I have some very rare phoenix tokens to spend, I wanted to know if this set is good, and worth an upgrade. thx in advance :)

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Best advice i can give you is to transfer your character to tribble and test the prolonged set there.
    It's interesting, but hardly OP and it certainly does not fit everyone's play style.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    The Phaser weapons are pretty nice if you can stay in combat to keep their Haste boosts up. The torp has too long of a base cooldown to work well, IMO. The console is novel, but not something I'd consider a priority to slot. The cooldown from the two-set is useful, but a lot of other cooldowns are available currently. Three-set clicky can be good if you stack it up to max, but nothing I typically slot.

• lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    I like the set, infact it is a mainstay of my Disco-Prise build. With this set and supremacy All of my energy setting stay well over 100 throughout combat. the doubled performance from it is pretty nice. respectively well over 120+ 104 100 109 is my energy setting while in combat. Not hard to artificially keep red alert up. Just click bfaw or overload and you can easily keep red alert up even without any enemies on the field.

I use the two part bonus with the torpedo and the console. Console because of the 10 energy to all settings and the Torpedo because it has a lower recharge rate then most launchers at nine recharge, since most have 10, a few have eight; it also has the over clock effect which lowers the recharge by 15% making it even faster then most torps at 6-7. Secondly it also has double the range of motion that other torpedo's have at 180 degrees not like the 90 degree almost all the others have.

The speed of the launcher and the arc makes it ideal to easily keep up effects like ceaseless motion or supercharged weapons.

I use it as my back launcher to clean up whatever mess is left. And quantum Phase as my fore launcher to obliterate shields and whatever enemies I'm approaching. I find this combo to be an effective one two punch in most my builds.

I think it's an extremely good and highly underrated set and a must have if you don't have supremacy; and if you do you might as well use both. If you have a chance to level it, do so and use it.
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    I've seen the prolonged engagement phaser cannons used as a single item in a pretty high end build posted in this forum. Is there a reason for this? Given the player(s) in question I don't think it was due to it being a free item.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    I've seen the prolonged engagement phaser cannons used as a single item in a pretty high end build posted in this forum. Is there a reason for this? Given the player(s) in question I don't think it was due to it being a free item.

Because it's good. :smile:

The Prolonged Engagement Weapons are excellent, they are not usually used in a set because the set bonuses are lackluster and the console itself is really not good at all. The amplified damage and the firing cycle haste make these weapons quite good, they still fall behind the Terran Task Force Beam/Cannons, but they're better then most any other phaser in the game.

If you did the event and unlocked them, they also come at UR Quality when reclaimed which is another huge bonus.

As for the question of using the token, my advice is that it's worth an UR Token for the Beam or Cannon, the console is not worth it. Personally, I use the Prolonged Engagement Weapons in all my Phaser builds.. I think they're fantastic. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    thx guys, for your replies. I wasn't sure about the console. I'm going to grab only the weapons and follow your advices. :)
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The set actually unlocks account wide even if you buy it for the phoenix tokens, and buying the beam or cannons also unlocks the other one. It is probably worth spending 3 tokens on the set just because of that.
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User

The prolonged engagement phasers are top-shelf weapons that are probably one of the best non-lockbox weapons in game, along with the trilithium phasers. They are very good on maps where you are in constant combat like Starbase One. Here's a good demonstration of a phaser cannon build with both of those weapons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0M3E5_qvW8&t=45s

The prolonged engagement phasers are top-shelf weapons that are probably one of the best non-lockbox weapons in game, along with the trilithium phasers. They are very good on maps where you are in constant combat like Starbase One. Here's a good demonstration of a phaser cannon build with both of those weapons:

Dude.. that video is fantastic!!

Like the ship, like the game play.. love the music!

It's great when you unleash a barrage right when the double bass hits.. it's like you're just rapid punching someone right in the face.. brilliant! :lol:
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User

Dude.. that video is fantastic!!

Like the ship, like the game play.. love the music!

It's great when you unleash a barrage right when the double bass hits.. it's like you're just rapid punching someone right in the face.. brilliant! :lol:

Yeah thanks man :D

Probably is one of the better videos I've done. Happy to hear someone likes the music, some people complain about it but babies gonna cry right?

It's crazy to think how much faster my ship is now since I made that - time for an updated build video!
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    It would be nice if those weapons were available in other weapon types though due to specific weapon types that fit non-federation factions. Is mostly the only thing in the way of it making a nice different b'rel type setup. Its a great setup overall though just wish it had some better flexibility.
  • mechaczmechacz Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Its not bad. Phaser together with Terran Rep Phaser Array together can do nice damage. If you got to longer fight its usually ok, downside is fact you lose "stacks" if you get out of combat immediately and it takes 50 sec to fully charge it again. Default beam damage is bit lower than other beams, but with full charge its way more. Console has boff cooldown reduction(2 piece set) and battery charge, thats nice too.
    As torpedo. It has really wide arc which is usefull, but dmg isnt anything special. With three pieces set you get ability to shot one single and slow self-guided torpedo that does only medium damage and there are certainly better torpedoes around. Im using it as Aft torpedo on cruiser because of that wide arc and relative fast reload, but if you want photon torpedo there are better choices.
    For some reason you can reengineer beam, but not torpedo.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    It would be nice if those weapons were available in other weapon types though due to specific weapon types that fit non-federation factions. Is mostly the only thing in the way of it making a nice different b'rel type setup. Its a great setup overall though just wish it had some better flexibility.

It is a shame Cryptic limits those type of weapons to only a certain energy type.
    Prolonged Engagement Disruptors.. and others would be a nice addition to the game for sure.
    edited December 2019
    Prolonged Engagement Disruptors.. and others would be a nice addition to the game for sure.

To be honest i feel the prolonged engagement concept does not fit with any of the other (offensively focused) weapon types.

For the Federation the baseline is defense and staying in the fight hence the prolonged set makes sense.

Disruptor/plasma/Antiproton/Tetryon/Polaron are all damage oriented end hence geared towards spike damage. Prolonged sets for them makes no sense.
    Post edited by questerius on
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    Prolonged plasma would not work for Romulan ships. Battlecloak would probably cripple it. No, battlecloaking doesn't immediately take you out of combat, but it usually starts the timer and thus quickly raises the chance it happens if you use it to reposition.

Now, in defense of the PE torpedo, it has some things going for it. First it is a 180 torpedo and there are very few of those available. Second it is a photon torpedo which have a number of specific consoles and set bonuses that buff them, notably among them the counter command console which also buffs phaser damage, and if you're a little crazy, the full dyson proton weapon set. Finally, using it with a faster torpedo and torpedo doffs can quickly ramp up its refire rate.
  • vampirerx#7985 vampirerx Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    First off the torpedo launcher is top rank, if you compact side by side with a equal rank photon torpedoes, it dies more dmg significantly, and has double the angle 180 vs 90 with no penalty. no penalty and even dies higher dmg to boot. I’m not kidding don’t believe these people I’ve had this set for some time and just today I reverified a comparison, it’s 2000 more base dmg over the same photon but has 3 second longer Cooldown, making its dps rating skewed but it’s still 189.3 (dps) higher. Plus I use the whole set, and nothing I’ve had as of yet can hit harder than these weapons if you get your ramp up buffs in order. Period. Endgame if you don’t have it, maybe it’s just preference. But if you want one if the elite sets here it is. The agony torpedo with phaser gag is another animal though, I use it but it’s by far sub standard over a plasma Torp or any other type torpedo really. Even stacked with the best consoles it just lacks too power after hitting a shield, and lacks the the wow blast on hull penetration if the shields are down.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I tried the prolonged engagement torp (epic level), but i prefer the gravimetric torp, and with the dyson console, I have more crit chance :)
  • christian#3573 christian Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Is there a reason why I can't equipment both the Phaser Array and Torpedoes on one ship? It's supposed to be a "Set", can't really be a set if you're not letting players equip all the components on one ship.
  • mournblade#1863 mournblade Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    My standard phaser (beam) build loadout on a 5/2 configuration includes: Lorca Phaser (fore DHBB), Terran Task Force Phaser (fore array), Prolonged Engagement Phaser (fore array), Pulse Phaser (fore array), Trilithium Enhanced Phaser (aft omni), and a Sensor-Linked Phaser (aft omni). For the (fore) torpedo, I'm usually running the Terran Task Force torpedo for the two-piece set bonus.

Most TFOs (not all) have enough consistency of battle to warrant its use. But to echo what others have said, just use the Prolonged Engagement weapon alone. Don't bother with the console for that set.
    edited April 2020
    Is there a reason why I can't equipment both the Phaser Array and Torpedoes on one ship? It's supposed to be a "Set", can't really be a set if you're not letting players equip all the components on one ship.

@christian#3573
    There are different schools on the subject of mixing weapons like beam arrays and torpedoes.

The majority school states that it is better to focus on one item with supporting consoles and point distribution.

That being said, there is a case to be made for use of a torpedo for better power management and if the set bonus with the
    torpedo is beneficial.

Off course that is all not taking into account things like miracle worker ships and traits like entwined matrixes which give some phenominal boosts for mixed weapon layouts.
  • mournblade#1863 mournblade Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    questerius wrote: »

That being said, there is a case to be made for use of a torpedo for better power management and if the set bonus with the
    torpedo is beneficial

Bolded and italicized for emphasis. If it's not part of an ordnance set that enhances some part of your build (and contributes toward DPS), you should stick with running all the same weapon type (beams vs cannons). On TAC DPS builds, I only ever run one torpedo, and it's always part of an ordnance set bonus. With the right build synergy, torpedoes can hit VERY hard (assuming you're taking down enemy shields relatively easily and quickly), and there are some decent Starship Traits that can improve this synergy (e.g. Supercharged Weapons).

There are exceptions, of course. On a Disruptor build in particular, there's an argument to be made for always running the torpedo from the Nausicaan set to get the three-piece set bonus (along with the beam array and console), which provides bonus Cat1 damage AND Hull penetration to all your weapons. In contrast on my SCI DPS build, I'm typically running two torpedoes, which are usually tied to set bonuses, but it's not really necessary to do so because I'm using them purely for their exotic damage procs.

Difficulty level and the corresponding strength of your enemies can also be a factor here. In Advanced TFOs or lower, I obliterate enemy shields quickly enough that I'm not losing any torpedo damage to shield kinetic resistance. In an Elite TFO, I'll often slot out the torpedo for another beam weapon because Elite enemies often have a metric ton of shielding which isn't as easily or quickly removed. So I'd also make the argument that torpedo use on a more traditional TAC DPS build can be situational. Bottom line is that for general game play, as long as it's tied to a set bonus that's contributing to the build, you aren't going to notice a big loss in DPS.

You should be able to equip all 3 pieces of the prolonged engagement set on one ship (one energy weapon, the torpedo, and the console).

You should be able to equip all 3 pieces of the prolonged engagement set on one ship (one energy weapon, the torpedo, and the console).

@protoneous I've tried. I can either put the phaser array on my vessel or the torpedoes. I can't put both. I've tried removing every single weapon on my ship and then try to add both. Won't let me. If I put the phaser array on my ship the torpedoes don't show as an option. Vice versa if I put the torpedoes first.

@protoneous I've tried. I can either put the phaser array on my vessel or the torpedoes. I can't put both. I've tried removing every single weapon on my ship and then try to add both. Won't let me. If I put the phaser array on my ship the torpedoes don't show as an option. Vice versa if I put the torpedoes first.

Don't show as an option? What does that mean? You should be able to drag them from your inventory to an empty slot. I know sometimes there is some weird server bug where it has issues equipping things, but a map change should fix that.

Personally whenever I level a new character I tend to just grab as much event gear as I can and equip them with that until I can use the stuff I want, and I had no trouble with the full prolonged engagement set last time I did that.

I'd submit an in-game bug report so this can be followed up on. Take note of your ticket number. You can follow up on your issue via the support web page (link is at the top of this page).

Try a few things first as well. Try a different ship. Changing instances or relog if things don't cooperate. Attempt to put the 3 piece set on first. You mention torpedoes but there's only one torpedo. In what way does your ship reject the third part? If I try to put on a fourth part (beam + cannon or second prolonged torpedo) my ship's console slots turn red and I get one of two messages in chat respectively:

[Inventory] You cannot equip more than 1 items of that category

[Inventory] You cannot equip more than 1 of that item

4xEtsKT.jpg

I'd submit an in-game bug report so this can be followed up on. Take note of your ticket number. You can follow up on your issue via the support web page (link is at the top of this page).

Try a few things first as well. Try a different ship. Changing instances or relog if things don't cooperate. Attempt to put the 3 piece set on first. You mention torpedoes but there's only one torpedo. In what way does your ship reject the third part? If I try to put on a fourth part (beam + cannon or second prolonged torpedo) my ship's console slots turn red and I get one of two messages in chat respectively:

[Inventory] You cannot equip more than 1 items of that category

[Inventory] You cannot equip more than 1 of that item

4xEtsKT.jpg

So let me update first. I was in error, I don't have the torpedoes of the set. I have the beam array and the dual cannons of the set. Of those two I can only put one of them on my ship. One or the other. Example, if I put the beam array on my ship the dual cannons don't even show up in my inventory list on that screen (I'm on Xbox). If I exit out of the ship setup and just go into my inventory the cannons are there. But it won't let me add them to my ship if the beam array is already on it. I'm thinking this is probably a ticket request issue like you said.
    westmetals wrote: »

So let me update first. I was in error, I don't have the torpedoes of the set. I have the beam array and the dual cannons of the set. Of those two I can only put one of them on my ship. One or the other. Example, if I put the beam array on my ship the dual cannons don't even show up in my inventory list on that screen (I'm on Xbox). If I exit out of the ship setup and just go into my inventory the cannons are there. But it won't let me add them to my ship if the beam array is already on it. I'm thinking this is probably a ticket request issue like you said.

I believe it's by design that the two energy weapons can't be equipped together.

The beam weapon and the cannon weapon share the same slot in the set bonus anyway... by equipping both (if it was allowed) you would not get the 3pc bonus.

Now that, would make sense! I'm still learning stuff even after starting to play this back in August. Thank you all!
  • redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    The only point to this set is to benefit from slightly more dps during a fight lasting longer than you want. But really, the torpedo 3 piece weapon travels so slowly that it never hits, and when it does, most of the time it misses. The wide angle photon itself is no match for a more powerful torpedo that can be re-engineered with proper dps mods. The energy weapon is a joke. This is truly one of the most misleading and worthless sets in game. I feel sorry for anybody using it for more dps when its really sacrificing it.

If you're lucky, it'll hit for over a million damage to an unbuffed/undebuffed target with some splash radius. But blimme, its like winning the lottery and its not something you wanna be disappointed at with such a horribly long cooldown of 8 minutes to reach its peak. 2 minutes just doesn't cut it. Its a joke.