test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to make the Borg scarier in the new First Contact mission

mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
When the Borg claim they have studied our tactics or something like that towards the end - some drone should pick up a propane tank and throw it at you. The tank doesn't have to do much damage against the player and his allies (heck, it could be a cut scene if those weren't annoying where everyone just sprints into cover) And afterwards, they beam all the remaining ones away (or something like that), or create an "redox-reaction-dampener" field that counters the tanks...
Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Make the borg the bad guy they used to be, not the target practice that they are. Now when I hear "We are borg." all I really hear is them saying, "We are bored, please shoot us."
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    If they really wanted to adapt, they'd beam down with Kevlar vests.

Full body armor, Thompson submachines, and in a tuxedo, "We have studied your tactics. Now we will go full gangster on you."
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Full body armor, Thompson submachines, and in a tuxedo, "We have studied your tactics. Now we will go full gangster on you."
    Needs goatees and Fedoras. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @trennan said:
    > Make the borg the bad guy they used to be, not the target practice that they are. Now when I hear "We are borg." all I really hear is them saying, "We are bored, please shoot us."

This, so much. The Borg have been ruined by overexposure pretty much since VGR.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    > @trennan said:
    > Make the borg the bad guy they used to be, not the target practice that they are. Now when I hear "We are borg." all I really hear is them saying, "We are bored, please shoot us."

This, so much. The Borg have been ruined by overexposure pretty much since VGR.
    We are the Borg. Resista… (gets cut off by giant explosion)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Honestly, playing through this patrol.. kind of makes we want for a 29th century borg invasion arc(along the lines of that one Voyager episode, but out of control).

Alternatively, an assimilated Voth arc with borgified power armor/tactical drones with jetpacks(to rapidly close into melee) and assimilated animal weapon platforms(Triceratops with forward shield projectors and "spinal-mounted" autocannon).
  • oclosoclos Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Since you want to get more scared by Borg(I wouldn't, but who am I to judge crazy people online who are not afraid enough by beings who can turn them to mindless zombies?), I would have to propose this: New Borg Equipment = Personal Ablative armor(impervious to projectiles as well as energy bolts), Instant Transport/Portal within a given radius(e.g. within 10m of their former position, including but not limited to behind their target and by target means you and your officers), Projectile nanoweapon(assimilates from a distance), Shroud technology mimicking(they can disappear from your eyes and "surprise" you from behind or any given advantage point they see fit), Causal Probability Shield(adapts after a single shot), Ship Wide Sikarian Trajector, TING! Transport(Transport in Numbers - Growing, Meaning transport en mass from their ship to yours at 2 per 1 ratio and doubling that with every failing wave), Technology Nullifier(adapted from Breen, shuts down every system in your ships based in energy allocation). Does that scare you enough?
    Adm. Necheyev didn't own ANY Starfleet ships. Starfleet did. Also she didn't make one bolt, connect a single wire, gelpack or device, or otherwise helped on making them. I find it presumptuous she claimed it was HER ships. In fact saying as much would probably warranty a reprimand from any of her superiors in Federation and possibly not participating in said actions as other superior personnel do, would in our days(2409 onwards) result in herself facing the same fate as what she has threatened, in that same penal colony.
    edited April 2020
    oclos wrote: »
    Since you want to get more scared by Borg(I wouldn't, but who am I to judge crazy people online who are not afraid enough by beings who can turn them to mindless zombies?), I would have to propose this: New Borg Equipment = Personal Ablative armor(impervious to projectiles as well as energy bolts), Instant Transport/Portal within a given radius(e.g. within 10m of their former position, including but not limited to behind their target and by target means you and your officers), Projectile nanoweapon(assimilates from a distance), Shroud technology mimicking(they can disappear from your eyes and "surprise" you from behind or any given advantage point they see fit), Causal Probability Shield(adapts after a single shot), Ship Wide Sikarian Trajector, TING! Transport(Transport in Numbers - Growing, Meaning transport en mass from their ship to yours at 2 per 1 ratio and doubling that with every failing wave), Technology Nullifier(adapted from Breen, shuts down every system in your ships based in energy allocation). Does that scare you enough?

Not really. Since all of that would be a 3 -10 second buff, on a 20-60 second cool down. It would only make things take longer, not that that's a bad thing. Traits, Boff Skills, and certain gear makes the Technology Nullified, nullified. Seriously, one part of the Inconian gear, think the warp core or shield, cleans 1debuff every 10 seconds.

Also, I believe the Miracle Work spec has an auto debuff cleanse.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    Simply make them all repeatedly say "Kurland here."
    arliekkos wrote: »
    Simply make them all repeatedly say "Kurland here."

Just for that...
    J13ybXz.gif

Mm5NeXy.gif
  • kenjilumkenjilum Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    > @starswordc said:
    > > @trennan said:
    > > Make the borg the bad guy they used to be, not the target practice that they are. Now when I hear "We are borg." all I really hear is them saying, "We are bored, please shoot us."
    >
    > This, so much. The Borg have been ruined by overexposure pretty much since VGR.

Before you unlock reputations (and anti-borg weapons), their adaption rate to ranged weapons does make them quite an annoying foe.

But to the OP's point, the only thing that really changes when the borg "study your tactics" is they send down a heavy tactical drone (champion) -- something that I always found lackluster.
    edited April 2020
    kenjilum wrote: »
    > @starswordc said:
    > > @trennan said:
    > > Make the borg the bad guy they used to be, not the target practice that they are. Now when I hear "We are borg." all I really hear is them saying, "We are bored, please shoot us."
    >
    > This, so much. The Borg have been ruined by overexposure pretty much since VGR.

Before you unlock reputations (and anti-borg weapons), their adaption rate to ranged weapons does make them quite an annoying foe.

But to the OP's point, the only thing that really changes when the borg "study your tactics" is they send down a heavy tactical drone (champion) -- something that I always found lackluster.

Acutally for me I get an Elite.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Well it comes down to the fact that Borg "adaption" is oversold really badly they really only over adapt to the energy type and for all their talk of adapting to tactics they always use the exact same tactics (and not just in game, also in the TV series).

That said there's 3 things that could make that patrol harder, first reduce the number of the tanks, second make the borg more resist to physical/kinetic damage across the board and third have them give the players a debuff that disables the remodulator (or similar abilities) forcing you to think more tactically about the situation.

That said I'm impliment these things only to harder difficulties and leave normal difficulty as is, well apart from reducing the number of tanks you can shoot.
This discussion has been closed.