test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wich uniforms do you want in Star trek Online?

13»

Comments

  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    Gene Roddenberry, interested in ancient Rome himself, approved of the initial depiction of the Romulan species. "He loved Paul's having endowed the enemy-Romulans with the militaristic character of the ancient Romans," wrote John D.F. Black and Mary Black. (Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 2, Issue 11, p. 19) Roddenberry's original concept of the Romulans, however, was that they represented 1960s' Chinese Communists. (Star Trek Nemesis hardback ed., p. xx)
    ​​

    But the source of the quote is from "Star Trek Nemesis." Wading through the whole Memory Alpha file. You do not get a single other reference to Communist china until John Logan is talking about his vision for the Romans during the production of Nemesis:

    ""
    One of the first concepts in the writing of Star Trek Nemesis was to centrally feature the Romulans. A primary advocate for this choice of villain was writer John Logan – a big fan of the species and "the lethal machinations" characteristic of the group. "For a writer, the malicious subtlety of the Romulans," remarked Logan, "offers great opportunities; the cleverness and formality of their language must suggest that they are simultaneously a deadly political foe and a noble, ancient race. Besides, I had just finished working on Gladiator and was in a classical frame of mind. The serpentine rhythms of the language we created for the Roman Empire in that movie were good practice for writing the august and treacherous Romulans." (Star Trek Nemesis hardback ed., pp. xvii-xviii) Logan also enthused, "I was delighted with the chance to get to play with the Romulans, and I don't think they've quite been explored enough [....] For me the Communist Chinese is a really interesting world that was never fully explored, certainly in the movies, and not even as much as I would have liked in the series, except for individual episodes. I've always found that sort of Byzantine structure of Chinese Communism very interesting and very provocative, and lethal in a way I never found the Klingons. There is so much duplicity and mendacity and cleverness in the way the Romulans move through their world with very strategic chess moves. And also they are an old and ancient race, like the Vulcans, so they have gravitas to them, which I find very interesting." (Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 2, Issue 2, pp. 11-12)
    ""

    So I would tend to agree with Phoenix that it is likely a later interpretation...of course the Vulcan/Orientalist motif was also present...and many Star Trek themes are reactions to the cold war.

    14b2fee47a5768ec5b83365abae8eb35.jpg




  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,596 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    Gene Roddenberry, interested in ancient Rome himself, approved of the initial depiction of the Romulan species. "He loved Paul's having endowed the enemy-Romulans with the militaristic character of the ancient Romans," wrote John D.F. Black and Mary Black. (Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 2, Issue 11, p. 19) Roddenberry's original concept of the Romulans, however, was that they represented 1960s' Chinese Communists. (Star Trek Nemesis hardback ed., p. xx)
    ​​

    But the source of the quote is from "Star Trek Nemesis." Wading through the whole Memory Alpha file. You do not get a single other reference to Communist china until John Logan is talking about his vision for the Romans during the production of Nemesis:

    ""
    One of the first concepts in the writing of Star Trek Nemesis was to centrally feature the Romulans. A primary advocate for this choice of villain was writer John Logan – a big fan of the species and "the lethal machinations" characteristic of the group. "For a writer, the malicious subtlety of the Romulans," remarked Logan, "offers great opportunities; the cleverness and formality of their language must suggest that they are simultaneously a deadly political foe and a noble, ancient race. Besides, I had just finished working on Gladiator and was in a classical frame of mind. The serpentine rhythms of the language we created for the Roman Empire in that movie were good practice for writing the august and treacherous Romulans." (Star Trek Nemesis hardback ed., pp. xvii-xviii) Logan also enthused, "I was delighted with the chance to get to play with the Romulans, and I don't think they've quite been explored enough [....] For me the Communist Chinese is a really interesting world that was never fully explored, certainly in the movies, and not even as much as I would have liked in the series, except for individual episodes. I've always found that sort of Byzantine structure of Chinese Communism very interesting and very provocative, and lethal in a way I never found the Klingons. There is so much duplicity and mendacity and cleverness in the way the Romulans move through their world with very strategic chess moves. And also they are an old and ancient race, like the Vulcans, so they have gravitas to them, which I find very interesting." (Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 2, Issue 2, pp. 11-12)
    ""

    So I would tend to agree with Phoenix that it is likely a later interpretation...of course the Vulcan/Orientalist motif was also present...and many Star Trek themes are reactions to the cold war.

    14b2fee47a5768ec5b83365abae8eb35.jpg




    Now I'm thinking of "Stone Knives and Bears Skins."

    Any chance we can wear Bear Skins and weld Stone Knives or one at least one of those spears from Mission: Search and Rescue.
    Search_and_Rescue.png?version=cb4ea2d1a585a0de59dbbdbb209bb880

    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 55,670 Community Moderator
    Ah... a Security Redshirt living up to his role in the TOS era. A danger magnet.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kojekoje Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    How about the Starfleet Wrath of Khan style uniforms worn by the original cast in (almost) all of their movies???? Are you thinking "We already have those!!" Well, not if you play on XBOX. That's right for some reason the devs decided that one of the most popular and most iconic uniforms in all of Star Trek would be available to PC players AND PlayStation players but not allowed on XBOX ever. I would love for someone to give me any sane reason why 2/3 of the platforms are allowed to use this uniform but XBOX is permanently blocked from ever having them even though they already exist on NPCs and for players on the other platforms???
  • ishigami2ishigami2 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Honestly you don't really want them, not as they are right now. You rarely see anyone using them on PC. IMO it is because they look really dated, washed out, blurry, undefined.

    You are visually better off using the Odyssey Dress uniform and colour it in that Maroon style.

    The older costumes could really use a visual update.
    New costumes like the Borg Exoskeleton or recently 2399 Uniform really do make the old ones look terrible by comparison.

    I mostly use the Odyssey, looks very Starfleety and the visual quality is good.

    Would wish they updated the TWOK, TNG, DS9 and Voyager options though…
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 55,670 Community Moderator
    The TNG uniform DOES need a quality pass, as the TNG season 1 uniform looks better.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,453 Arc User
    The Next Generation Mirror Broken
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The TNG uniform DOES need a quality pass, as the TNG season 1 uniform looks better.

    always felt that way, even on screen
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 3,609 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The TNG uniform DOES need a quality pass, as the TNG season 1 uniform looks better.

    always felt that way, even on screen

    The cast didn't agree with you with the season 1 TNG uniform being a literal pain (as in it caused Patrick Steward so bad back pains that his chiropractor threatend to sue CBS if the uniforms didn't get changed).
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    Wrath of Khan Bomber Jacket
    Would like to see Enterprise era uniforms of the Andorians, Tellerites, Aenar, Klingon, Romulan, Vulcan and the dancing outfits of the three Orion women in "Bound".

    More hairstyles for Caitians/Ferasans. (How many Caitian players wanted to look like or base their character on M'ress?)

    Tails for the Alien visuals (I wouldn't mind if they were an unlock for buying the Caitian/Ferasan races).
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 55,670 Community Moderator
    always felt that way, even on screen

    I prefer the later season uniforms. They looked more comfortable.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 10,838 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    2230s Starfleet uniform (USS Kelvin)
    spiritborn wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The TNG uniform DOES need a quality pass, as the TNG season 1 uniform looks better.

    always felt that way, even on screen

    The cast didn't agree with you with the season 1 TNG uniform being a literal pain (as in it caused Patrick Steward so bad back pains that his chiropractor threatend to sue CBS if the uniforms didn't get changed).

    Bailey is a hipster and likes everything better if it's older, even if it's objectively wrong pig-2.gifpig-3.gif

    The S1 uniform-jumper was however, in my opinion, nice as (background)crew attire. The sailor-look it had going would have looked good with sleeve/cuff rank stripes. Senior officers looked much, much better in the later two-piece uniforms, though. Picard's S5 jacket variant was somewhat weird, but the undershirt looked good.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 55,670 Community Moderator
    I think we can also thank the s1 uniforms for Riker's style of sitting down in chairs. B)
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vicormavicorma Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I would like to see the Qowat Milat outfit (and the emote if possible)
    Hera%20squad%20logo1a.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 55,670 Community Moderator
    vicorma wrote: »
    I would like to see the Qowat Milat outfit (and the emote if possible)

    I think the inclusion of the Qowat Milat was very cool. Adding more depth to the Romulans as a whole so that its not just the military that we see.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tofu#7944 tofu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »
    ENT/Nemesis Romulan uniforms. 5f81e430550189c56aabc2236dfb0c37.png

    This should have been added a long time ago!

    (Enough with the Starfleet outfits already! :| )
  • oclosoclos Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    There is now a proper Vulcan Insignia Badge, which looks identical to that worn by Vulcan security on Pahvo episode. It makes sense the top that comes with it to be unlocked for use, since it is also canon from ENT(a Belt wouldn't hurt either). I found the pics in Memory Alpha Vulcan Uniform article.
    latest?cb=20070102065743&path-prefix=en
    latest?cb=20080927041423&path-prefix=en
    Adm. Necheyev didn't own ANY Starfleet ships. Starfleet did. Also she didn't make one bolt, connect a single wire, gelpack or device, or otherwise helped on making them. I find it presumptuous she claimed it was HER ships. In fact saying as much would probably warranty a reprimand from any of her superiors in Federation and possibly not participating in said actions as other superior personnel do, would in our days(2409 onwards) result in herself facing the same fate as what she has threatened, in that same penal colony.
  • grimoaldus1701grimoaldus1701 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    I will not answer until wich is changed to which. Which is a pronoun. A determiner asking for information specifying one or more people or things from a definite set. "Which are the best varieties of grapes for long keeping?" Not wich...please use a spell checker. Thank you.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,481 Arc User
    And the OP is allowed to edit the Thread's Subject Title too.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    2380s Starfleet uniform (Star Trek: Picard Countdown)
    Of that list definitely the 2380s uniform and admiral variant. It's so nice. Better than the 2390s uniform but the 90s uniform has the agt/endgame homaging combadge so it has massive appeal too.

    I still want the future imperfect/parallels combadge.

    General Oh's coat would be nice too.
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,140 Arc User
    to the poster that imbeded the vids, one the one with the OS admiral version you mention...there is one, "close," to that available. not exact, but close.


    to the OP: please remove the Wesley option. (cant even believe you put that in...ugh)
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,140 Arc User
    also of note...
    ones like this: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005843 i have not seen ever, however, i know several are only available from the lobi store. as there is one for sure i want from there, but right off hand cant recall it. so maybe the one i referenced is there too?
    i know there are more available, just not all in the zen store. which is sad. :(
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,140 Arc User
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Uniform

    there seems to be a ton of unis in lobi store. bummers. guess i need to work on getting more lobi then. ugh.
  • ishigami2ishigami2 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    also of note...
    ones like this: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005843 i have not seen ever, however, i know several are only available from the lobi store. as there is one for sure i want from there, but right off hand cant recall it. so maybe the one i referenced is there too?
    i know there are more available, just not all in the zen store. which is sad. :(

    The Odyssey dress uniform is a fleetholding unlock: Starbase tailor.
Sign In or Register to comment.