test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nova class: the Ship the Game Forgot

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 3,881 Arc User
    The only reason the Norway lacks the "canonical juice" was because it was the only one of the five ship classes introduced in First Contact (Alongside the Akira, Saber, Sovereign and Steamrunner) not to appear in subsequent films/episodes. Exactly why that was isn't entirely clear. Oddly, the game treats the Norway as a variant of the Akira instead of a ship class in its own right. Of those five, only the Akira and Sovereign have gotten T6 versions.

If the new ship is a variant of the Nova class, the original design will surely be one of the available skins.

From what I heard, the digital model for the Norway was misplaced and no one thought it was worth the expense of doing up another one from scratch.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,349 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    You know at some point they are going to have a space battle on picard and then its going to have enough seconds of time before something blows it up for them to sell in whatever method they end up coming out with.

That's the thing though; anything that appears in 'Picard' will get priority.

Then by all means let's hope Picard's rumored new ship is a Rhode Island.

Considering it is CBS, my guess is that they probably will not do a Rhode Island on PIC since it does not fit their aesthetics very much, especially since Rob Bonchune is something of a purist so is not at all popular with the anti-TOS types that are mostly in command of the CBS Star Trek production unit.

Seems you were absolutely correct. In fact the 'Picard' aesthetics were such that they just made one Starfleet ship design and hit copy-paste.
    STO Facebook:
    "Now that season one of Star Trek: Picard is complete, what one thing from the season do you most want in Star Trek Online? Let us know below"

So ask for content from Picard, they'll deliver. Ask for a Nova class quality pass for six years, they ignore you. How the heck does THAT work?!
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,715 Arc User
    STO Facebook:
    "Now that season one of Star Trek: Picard is complete, what one thing from the season do you most want in Star Trek Online? Let us know below"

So ask for content from Picard, they'll deliver. Ask for a Nova class quality pass for six years, they ignore you. How the heck does THAT work?!

I'm sure the Nova was somewhere in orbit of ESD in the background in ST-P. Not sure if it was, but it is worth a try..
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    STO Facebook:

I'm sure the Nova was somewhere in orbit of ESD in the background in ST-P. Not sure if it was, but it is worth a try..

:D

And even if it were, I have little doubt they'd STILL ignore it.
  • sharmutashlikha#2072 sharmutashlikha Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    The day a T6 Nova and the visual makeover are here is the day I'll make the time to play again, no matter what stones RL throws my way.
    [email protected]#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] [email protected]#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    [email protected]#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'[email protected]#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'[email protected]#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'[email protected]#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'[email protected]#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'[email protected]#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'[email protected]#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'[email protected]#2072 salutes Nog.

• kyuso21kyuso21 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Wow, I just come back on the forum thread since 2 years and I see a deep discussion about the Nova is still on.

The Nova/Rhode Island is the most abandoned ship in the game, it didn't have ANY graphical and technical review since then.

Having the same skin since its debut, warping like a TOS Connie, with Discovery/TNG warp sound mixed...

The Nova/Rhode Island really needs a remaster, T6izing it, granting her most affection as she always should've get.

If Devs are really reading any Forum topics, they surely had their eyes on this one.

On a financial point of view, a T6 Nova would be the best sale: like they did with the 10th anniversary legendary ship bundle, they could do a T6 Nova including 2 different shapes/classes: a Ross-like version and a Pathfinder-like (or Lafayette-like) skin. The ship is the most wanted among all others. The ship, as unique release, would get much more attention and be much more utilized for later STO missions (the Rhode Island destroyed and replaced by a new 25th cent. class ship). It's with certainty Garrett Wang would love to voiceact again for STO regarding his love for the franchise itself. It would involve a La Sirena ship (seen in Picard show) for a new STO mission with a Rhode Island/new T6 Nova by your side...

If the Lafayette has been successful, the Nova Class should do as well (and still keeps doing it after many years).

I bet it won't cost much to PW and Cryptic to make a new T6 Science Scout Vessel with graphic reviews for the Novas. Devs, you already did a material redesign of the Hero ships, I think it won't be much to do the same with the Nova... I'd definitely buy one if I could...

+1 for this topic.

And my U.S.S. Burgundy would be pleased to see a revamp!
    Post edited by kyuso21 on
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,332 Arc User
    Maybe just ask Tobias to make a Nova class mesh? :) He did good on the Excelsior.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited March 2020
    Maybe just ask Tobias to make a Nova class mesh? :) He did good on the Excelsior.

Agreed - but still don't think it'd happen.

Problem is, as already discussed somewhat, the Nova is in a really bad place now. I mean, we know the Devs have limited time/resources. We also know that they are focusing on the new series and are already asking what 'Picard' content we want to see. Add the fact that we have season 3 of Discovery upcoming (at some point this year), and a few other series in the works, I think I could be forgiven for thinking that the Nova will remain a "maybe one day" ship in favour of the flavour of the month from *enter new Trek series here*.

The chance for the Nova getting any attention is VERY slim at this point.
    rq78eEM.jpg
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    You know at some point they are going to have a space battle on picard and then its going to have enough seconds of time before something blows it up for them to sell in whatever method they end up coming out with.

That's the thing though; anything that appears in 'Picard' will get priority.

Then by all means let's hope Picard's rumored new ship is a Rhode Island.

Considering it is CBS, my guess is that they probably will not do a Rhode Island on PIC since it does not fit their aesthetics very much, especially since Rob Bonchune is something of a purist so is not at all popular with the anti-TOS types that are mostly in command of the CBS Star Trek production unit.

Seems you were absolutely correct. In fact the 'Picard' aesthetics were such that they just made one Starfleet ship design and hit copy-paste.
    I guess the bright side is that we don't have to worry that much about a slew of new Federation ships taking over the ship team's schedule now. We'll see that battlecruiser from the last episode in the C-store, and the little freighter probably in a lockbox. Then maybe 3 or 4 new Romulan ships. That's a pretty big dearth of ship content for the devs to work with. Maybe they'll finally get around to making T6s out of pre-existing canon ships again.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,249 Arc User
    Back after a while and I STILL WANT A TIER 6 NOVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited April 2020
    Mandatory:

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    Am sometimes reminded of what a great little ship the Nova can still be.

Was in ISA earlier, with a very poorly coordinated team and some well-timed Gravity wells pretty much saved the optional from the team’s lack of coordination, haste, and DPS that didn’t match their haste.

I know its only (F)T5-U, and lacks the T6 bells and whistles – and there is no argument that my Legendary Intrepid puts her to shame in every way possible. However, it can at least be said that she’s still a perfectly capable science ship and I still feel I can pull my weight when I use her in pretty much any content.

Am even considering buying another for my new Fed-Rom char, equipping it with Altamid plasma weapons; in fact I would already have done so if not for the fact that there is no version of the ship that levels with the player…..
    edited April 2020
    Garrett Wang And Robert Duncan McNeill Are Launching A ‘Star Trek: Voyager’ Rewatch Podcast

https://trekmovie.com/2020/04/17/garrett-wang-and-robert-duncan-mcneill-are-launching-a-star-trek-voyager-rewatch-podcast/?fbclid=IwAR12i99cMQxpFF8vvrCunc24UVmssoEsrhiLLKYW7nmJs0eXqqJzapMob8M

Coime on, Devs - lets have a quality pass Nova in honour of this!
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 3,508 Arc User
    i for one am not a fan of the nova or the variants offered for that tier, however, i am going to put my vote behind you for sheer determination and continual support for one. that to me is worth a vote for it. :)

(still wont fly one myself, even though i did long time past)

best of luck.
    meh

Quick question, when you make a screenshot where does the game store it?

Made a few shots of a Rhode Island with the medical vanity shield.
    edited April 2020

C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\screenshots

To be honest, I don't feel that many (if any) of the vanity shields really suit the Nova/Rhode Island - the model is very old and the vanity shields don't mix well with it imho.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\screenshots

To be honest, I don't feel that many (if any) of the vanity shields really suit the Nova/Rhode Island - the model is very old and the vanity shields don't mix well with it imho.

Here goes nothing.

3ixwn0qswy.jpg

Looks a bit ominous. Mirror nova/ Rhode Island configuration with medical vanity shield
    edited April 2020
    jtoney3448 wrote: »
    This is almost as bad as the old "Whats your beef with the Galaxy?" thread. (edit) 36 pages now and Cryptic still hasnt gotten a clue. While Im not a big fan of the Nova it has a loyal following and is a beloved ship in star trek lore. Honestly surprised that they would update the centaur before the Nova.

The Rhode Island ingame is terrible quality, like most of cryptics earlier ships. To be fair the game was rushed out so that was somewhat unavoidable. However the Nova and the Luna are super popular star trek ships, time to get with it cryptic and crank out these 2 ships and make them good since people waited so long.

We galaxy class fans kept our thread going forever, and while not everyone loves the T6 galaxy I do and thought it was worth the wait. I truly hope you guys get your ships and that they are great.

Whilst this thread doesn't have anywhere near as many posts as the 'Whats your Beef with the Galaxy class' thread had, it has been running for longer than that one did. And thats only THIS thread - again, see page one for the threads that preceeded this one.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    I had a good look at the both variants of the ship that appeared in Voyager last night. I have to say both versions are fine looking models. It would be nice to see them sold as a 2 pack. The Equinox version as a pure sci ship and the Rhode Island could as a frigate or light cruiser based on the fact it took on 2 Negh'Var class starships.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    I had a good look at the both variants of the ship that appeared in Voyager last night. I have to say both versions are fine looking models. It would be nice to see them sold as a 2 pack. The Equinox version as a pure sci ship and the Rhode Island could as a frigate or light cruiser based on the fact it took on 2 Negh'Var class starships.

Fantastic idea!
    edited April 2020
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > Yes, and the only reason that Warship Voyager got made now is because of this bundle. Otherwise, we wouldn't have that ship either, because apparently Thomas thinks the ship is ugly and didn't want to make it, but they needed a new skin for the Intrepid, so we got it. None of that has anything to do with any dev's attitude about the Nova, though, which is what you're trying to say.

Think about what you just said. A dev refused to make a ship (previously) because they personally didnt like how it looked. And the ONLY reason it did get made is because they needed another skin for this bundle.

Let me just say I really hope that isnt true. That would be a very unprofessional attitude to refuse to make something customers want because you dont personally like it. And Thomas seems much more professional than that.

But IF that were true, how could you definitively state that a similar "personal taste issue" isnt effecting the nova?

Personal taste DEFINITELY comes into play.

Eitherway - have to admit, do I dare risk seeing a tiny glimmer of hope in this?:

Today (21st April 2020)
    https://arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11415793?fbclid=IwAR1MKMbQVyoMj1vHzKZYSK6b-TLVx3RfUljQxsURzukjdlbymlfH3QGZOWY
    Akira class quality pass bundle.

I'm erring on the side of saying the Nova will remain ignored, since it doesn't have enough tiers to warrant a bundle.
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    I'm erring on the side of saying the Nova will remain ignored, since it doesn't have enough teirs to warrant a bundle.

it could come bundled with another ship that doesn't have enough tiers...like say, the Oberth!

rimmarie wrote: »
    I'm erring on the side of saying the Nova will remain ignored, since it doesn't have enough teirs to warrant a bundle.

it could come bundled with another ship that doesn't have enough tiers...like say, the Oberth!

If only!

But at this point, after six years of waiting and watching some ships get TWO quality passes, I refuse to get my hopes up.
    edited April 2020
    Tiny glimmer of hope?

Nope:

So basically "I like the Nebula but despite the fact it's already T6 and not all that old and doesn't 'need help' as much as the Nova, I'll probably work on that"

I give up. I'm done.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,268 Arc User
    Tiny glimmer of hope?

Nope:

So basically "I like the Nebula but despite the fact it's already T6 and not all that old I'll probably work on that"

I give up. I'm done.

There's also the fact that certain ships probably have more fans in the ship team than others, hence why they get the treatment first.

There's also the fact that the Nebula is a kitbash of sorts of the Galaxy class, so it makes sense that it would receive a pass sooner than the Nova, which would need work.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • mark#1633 mark Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    We'll get a Nova update eventually, I would suggest it might even be this year... no evidence, just optimism.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,462 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > Tiny glimmer of hope?

> So basically "I like the Nebula but despite the fact it's already T6 and not all that old and doesn't 'need help' as much as the Nova, I'll probably work on that"
    >
    > I give up. I'm done.

Reread what you attached

He says he likes the EXCELSIOR but it already is a T6 and not that old so doesn't need help. The Nebula needs the help. By implication from what was said in the other Tweet the Nova falls in the same category for a quality pass.

And no, admit it, you're never done. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.