test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How is everyone doing around the world with the Coronavirus Isolation

Comments

• grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    My older sisters have smartphones as does my little brother.
    My little sister is after one, I may give her my old smartphone since I never use it anymore.

On the current crisis (I've been looking into other news sources as well as the MSM),
    I'd rather have a dangerous freedom than no freedom at all.
    I'm taking the libertarian viewpoint.

To throw away our freedom is wrong and immoral, police states are unacceptable by any means.

That simple.

I am in full agreement with you on that view.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Not being able to see family and friends really sucks, but is actually helping them and others as well.

I can't go and see my 85 year old mother, little sister, friends, or other members of my family. To do so could potentially put them and others at risk. Maybe even the mother, little sister, or other family member of someone one I've never even met.

I can only imagine being a first responder under current conditions. They have families and concerns of their own.

One of Spock's quotes come to mind.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    All we needed to do was show some common sense, prevention being better than the cure
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
      All we needed to do was show some common sense, prevention being better than the cure

Unfortunately we need BOTH, now, and in the future. We can't totally stop a pandemic, but we can slow it down if done right.

Problem is I'm reminded of a quite from Men In Black.
      Agent K wrote:
      A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      edited April 2020
      rattler, I totally agree
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
        rattler2 wrote: »

Unfortunately we need BOTH, now, and in the future. We can't totally stop a pandemic, but we can slow it down if done right.

Problem is I'm reminded of a quite from Men In Black.
        Agent K wrote:
        A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

I have a slight issue with that quote. 500 years ago, every layman might have known that the Earth was flat, but every scholar knew that the Earth was round since the Earth was proved to be round and its approximate size by the Ancient Greeks. Columbus wasn't trying to prove that the Earth was round, but that the Earth was smaller than what every scholar at the time believed. If Columbus didn't make his mathematical mistake, then America would have been discovered by most of Europe later.
      • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
        edited April 2020

To throw away our freedom is wrong and immoral, police states are unacceptable by any means.

Even at their most despotic, no Western democracy I am aware of has given its citizens "no freedom at all" during any time I've been alive. I'm sure you'd agree that, for example, if someone decided to express their freedom by running up and down the street throwing Molotov cocktails at buildings and people you would expect agents of the big bad government to intercede and remove that obvious public threat, no? Covid is just a different version of that scenario, involving millions of people who cannot reliably control the threat they pose rather than a single malicious actor.

It is demonstrably impossible for humans acting on their own free will and on their own knowledge to get a pandemic like covid under control. To do so requires large-scale action. Does your idea of what "freedom" means lead you to the conclusion that killing, say, 50 million people worldwide is perfectly fine if, given government intervention, losing only 1 million is possible?
        edited April 2020
        It's a very dangerous path, that's what scares me because it sets a precedence.
        All we needed to do was have some common sense and take precautions, not all of us are irresponsible with our freedom.
        NMXb2ph.png
        • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
          starkaos wrote: »
          I have a slight issue with that quote. 500 years ago, every layman might have known that the Earth was flat, but every scholar knew that the Earth was round since the Earth was proved to be round and its approximate size by the Ancient Greeks. Columbus wasn't trying to prove that the Earth was round, but that the Earth was smaller than what every scholar at the time believed. If Columbus didn't make his mathematical mistake, then America would have been discovered by most of Europe later.

I think you're taking it a bit out of context. Scholars aren't the majority of the population. Scholars were probably the "smart person" at the time, but most people weren't Scholars. The point of the quote was to show how one person can be smarter than a group, hence why in MIB the general public does not know about aliens on Earth. The MIB is basically that "smart person" on the planet.
          Also... nitpicking a quote from a movie... not everyone's gonna know those facts either.
          db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
          I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
          The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
          A quote from 40K comes to mind,
          "There are monsters, and then there are the monsters we make to fight them.

Both are the same

The difference is simply a choice of how we see ourselves."
          NMXb2ph.png
          • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
            rattler2 wrote: »
            starkaos wrote: »

I think you're taking it a bit out of context. Scholars aren't the majority of the population. Scholars were probably the "smart person" at the time, but most people weren't Scholars.
            Except that even at the time, it was widely accepted among anyone who lived anywhere near the ocean that the world was round. You could watch the ships' masts disappearing over the horizon as they sailed away, for pity's sake! Then they got telescopes, and could see that they couldn't see Far Cathay, nor the ships that had sailed away.

The Flat Earth was a weird idea held by the small number of people who were Biblical literalists at the time (it didn't really catch on as a concept until a little over a century ago), because the Bible made mention of "the corners of the Earth". Those with a more practical bent just observed that you could see the curve, and went on with their lives because while the fact was interesting, it was also pretty doggone useless to them.
            Lorna-Wing-sig.png
          • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
            mneme0 wrote: »

Even at their most despotic, no Western democracy I am aware of has given its citizens "no freedom at all" during any time I've been alive. I'm sure you'd agree that, for example, if someone decided to express their freedom by running up and down the street throwing Molotov cocktails at buildings and people you would expect agents of the big bad government to intercede and remove that obvious public threat, no? Covid is just a different version of that scenario, involving millions of people who cannot reliably control the threat they pose rather than a single malicious actor.

It is demonstrably impossible for humans acting on their own free will and on their own knowledge to get a pandemic like covid under control. To do so requires large-scale action. Does your idea of what "freedom" means lead you to the conclusion that killing, say, 50 million people worldwide is perfectly fine if, given government intervention, losing only 1 million is possible?

Then there is a bunch of countries that gave their democratically elected leader free reign to do what they need during the coronavirus crisis. Some of the laws they have passed have absolutely nothing to do with fighting the coronavirus. It is very easy to give more power to the government. It is very difficult to take it away. It will be interesting to see how many of these democratically elected leaders give up their new power when the crisis is over.
          • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User

If you want to die, that's your right. We have the right to not want people like you to kill us. Simple as that.
            TW1sr57.jpg
            "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
            I have common sense, I do take precautions but if you lock people up for too long, they will snap.
            In Italy, armed police are guarding shops because people are getting that desperate they're looting and there is a real risk of public order breakdown.

The choice is risk public order breakdown by locking people in their homes or return things to normal with advice being have some common sense about it.
            If you are feeling ill, stay at home but if you are healthy, you should be able to go about your daily business.
            Just have some common sense about it.
            NMXb2ph.png
              People don't necessarily know if they're "healthy" or not (asymptomatic transmission).

Perhaps a larger risk to public order is not stemming the curve of infection?
              People's mental health needs to be taken into consideration, people are scared and they are angry.
              That is not a good combination since that could lead to people snapping and simply refusing to obey or worse use violence when told to return home.
              NMXb2ph.png
                People's mental health needs to be taken into consideration
                It certainly does.

Lot's of people are feeling the effects of staying in and not being able to see family and friends.

I wish you well and hope you're in a place that allows people to get out and exercise or to get some sunshine on the eyeballs.
                We've told to stay at home even though the weather is supposed to be excellent this weekend, it was not a request, it was a demand.

I don't see people listening to that, they'll disobey it anyway.
                NMXb2ph.png
                • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
                  I live in LA and work at the VA hospital. This has been the toughest week on the job.
                  Your pain runs deep.
                  Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
                  edited April 2020
                  ...if you are healthy, you should be able to go about your daily business.
                  Just have some common sense about it.
                  That attitude isn't "common sense". You can be not only infected, but also contagious for as much as a week or so before being symptomatic. Refusing to stay self-isolated because "you feel okay" is stupid, not "common sense". If you must go out, wear a mask and gloves, and wash yourself (and your clothes, if practical) the moment you get home, before being in the same room as anyone else. And go out as little as possible, because unless you've scored some of the increasingly rare N95-rated masks, what you're wearing merely discourages viral infection, it doesn't prevent it.

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't just dangerous for old and sick people - that's the most vulnerable population, but otherwise healthy people in their 20s and 30s have been dying. If you won't think about others, think about yourself.
                  Lorna-Wing-sig.png
                  It's difficult to get masks in the UK.
                  They are really scarce, best I can do is get some bandanas and use them as mouth and nose guards.
                  It's just a case of slinging them in the wash when I get home.

I've been looking into this and how much of it is media and social media fed fear?
                  It's sad people have died but at the same time, the hysteria has not helped matters at all.
                  The Battle of the Toilet Rolls and panic buying has been an indicator of that.
                  NMXb2ph.png
                  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
                    joshmaul wrote: »

If you want to die, that's your right. We have the right to not want people like you to kill us. Simple as that.

That is a little extreme dude. Be respectful of the other people on the thread.
                    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
                    It's difficult to get masks in the UK.
                    They are really scarce, best I can do is get some bandanas and use them as mouth and nose guards.
                    It's just a case of slinging them in the wash when I get home.

I've been looking into this and how much of it is media and social media fed fear?
                    It's sad people have died but at the same time, the hysteria has not helped matters at all.
                    The Battle of the Toilet Rolls and panic buying has been an indicator of that.
                    Dude. The first reported US death from COVID-19 was on February 29, 35 days ago. The current death toll in the US, according to the most recent data I can find, is 7371. That's... bad. Very bad.

The UK is reporting 3611 deaths, more than were lost in the 9/11 attacks in New York and Washington DC, although I can't find a date for when this wave began.

Keep in mind that these totals are almost certainly lower than the actual numbers, as there's been no effort, at least in the US, to determine whether people who are already dead were COVID-positive (and of course there aren't enough tests to even check the living, so a number of upcoming COVID deaths will remain undiagnosed as well). It's not "social and media fed [sic] fear" - it's a freaking planetary pandemic with a lethality rate of 2-3% as far as we can tell.

Wear your bandana. It's better than nothing. Just maintain your distance from people, wear gloves, and change bandanas every time you leave the house, because it's not going to absolutely prevent you from being infected, it's just going to improve your odds a little.
                    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
                    edited April 2020
                    That's the plan, play it safe.
                    This crisis has been a combination of the virus and hysteria whipped up by the media and social media.
                    I'm just not giving into the fear.
                    NMXb2ph.png
                    • xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
                      One of my former teachers has the virus and is in the hospital now so I'm staying home as much as I can. Hopefully I don't completely lose it during the rest of the month.
                      temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
                      Well, I'll deal with this with a coping mechanism.
                      Punk and lots of it as loud as possible, I'm feeling very angry so some really aggressive music should vent it.
                      NMXb2ph.png
                      • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
                        Well, I'll deal with this with a coping mechanism.
                        Punk and lots of it as loud as possible, I'm feeling very angry so some really aggressive music should vent it.

Nah, that's just a nasty feedback loop. Perhaps some yoga?
                        Punk is anti-authority, it's why I listen to it.
                        NMXb2ph.png
                        • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
                          My last work day will be next Friday. Then I'm furloughed until this thing is done. My state is closing DMVs so my job halts. Fortunately for me, my company has decided to continue paying me during the hiatus. Which means unlike some, I'll not have money issues. I am of two minds about this furlough stuff. Part of me is looking forward to the time off. Part of me wonders what I'll do with all the free time after I get done with all the projects I've put off over the years.

Hilariously amused by the, "Rebel Without A Clue" stuff here lately. Sad to see, actually. I've always thought Star Trek fans were a little bit smarter than ordinary people. Disappointing to be proven wrong.
                          A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
                          edited April 2020
                          I've always been anti-authority, just the way I am.
                          I do not conform, so during this crisis, I've been playing as much subversive music as possible.
                          My coping mechanism.
                          NMXb2ph.png