test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free Borg Pack!

sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11396793

Mmm I wonder if the weapons or bridge officer any good?
OPv9m3F.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    I would advise that people open this on a Romulan character, since it's only the second time (previous one was from a giveaway promotion with some other company) that we have had an opportunity to get a Liberated Borg Romulan Engineer like the ones that are available to Starfleet and KDF factions in the C-Store.

I suspect that she was an early design option that was abandoned in favor of the Liberated Borg Reman Tactical Officer.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    I would advise that people open this on a Romulan character, since it's only the second time (previous one was from a giveaway promotion with some other company) that we have had an opportunity to get a Liberated Borg Romulan Engineer like the ones that are available to Starfleet and KDF factions in the C-Store.

I suspect that she was an early design option that was abandoned in favor of the Liberated Borg Reman Tactical Officer.

I wish we could get a liberated Jem'Hadar...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • revanmichaels#6727 revanmichaels Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    Are the weapons any good? I probably want open or use the BOFF. He will go to the back of the line with the others officers who cannot wear a uniform.
  • philexanphilexan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Borg: Resistance is futile, lower your shields and prepare to be assimilated.
    Captain: Red Alert!
    Borg: Oh, we'll also give you free stuff.
    Captain: Green Alert!
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    It's a small gesture but free. Cryptic didn't have to do this. I'll applaud Cryptic on this one & offer my thanks.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    No uniform? I've got a Romulan merc crew that would be perfect for...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Are the weapons any good? I probably want open or use the BOFF. He will go to the back of the line with the others officers who cannot wear a uniform.

Not in my opinion, but I've not raised their level up any higher yet or anything.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited April 2020

The space weapons are good, instead of the usual plasma burn proc they heal and also buff damage (a little like a cross between the Lukari rep weapons and something else). I have an assimilated plasma DBB and an array on one of my ships and they seem to work well enough.

If you want to take a look the page on them is here:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Special_Equipment_Pack_-_Assimilated_Plasma_Weapons
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Are the weapons bound, or can they be sold?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • revanmichaels#6727 revanmichaels Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > Are the weapons bound, or can they be sold?

I maybe lying to you but I’m pretty sure they are not bound. Or at least they are selling a tribble load of them on the exchange.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    they're bound, the ones on the exchange are because they're from a current lock box.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    is the BO bound to char or to account?
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    is the BO bound to char or to account?

It's Account bound (and factionless) while in the box, I've placed mine into my account bank for just now. Same with the weapons.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User

The borg appears to be account bound while in the box. Are you saying that it won't become Rom if we open the box on a Rom?
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

why would any rom cap want a BO that does not have SRO on it? Unless your gonna use it for a ground team... but then it would be better to use V JHD boffs for 3 of the 4 ground spots...
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Thanks for the headsup, OP. Much appreciated.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

why would any rom cap want a BO that does not have SRO on it? Unless your gonna use it for a ground team... but then it would be better to use V JHD boffs for 3 of the 4 ground spots...

Because some people build starships, instead of space cannons?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited April 2020

Because my Romulan Liberated Borg is a Liberated Borg first, and the DPS chaser fourth or fifth.

Space Barbie is the real endgame.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2020
    I like that this Liberated Borg Bridge Office had different outfit items to wear; unlike the more PURE Borg you get from Omega Rep. I've always wondered why that Omega bridge officer, was liberated, when they really look fully assimilated?
    0zxlclk.png
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    The weapons seem to belong in the vast variety of "alright guns" we have. Nothing superb but nothing to sneeze at either.

The boff has the efficient trait which was desirable a long time ago until it got outclassed by superior romulan operatives, vanguard jem hadar and kentari.

The release is more of a visual than performance thingy so I gave the stuff to my liberated borg character on the way to have him appear as authentic as possible.

Too bad the costume of the boff is limitied to it. Changing it would be a minor technicality for cryptic as the unrestricted tailor bug that turned up from time to time over the years demonstrated.

Whatever, its for free so thank you cryptic. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    On a more general tone, after a few weeks of break from this place I can only contribute how this thread alone gives me the creeps in some areas that never seem to change:

The very second one even makes a small hint at how some game items contribute to performance and some do not stupid comments are sure to follow.

What is everybody around here so afraid of? This game has zero demands and gets zero invests by its players when it comes to performance already. The result can be witnessed in every public match one joins and where one pug undercuts the other no matter what.

I doubt that the hate and fear one causes on the mere attempt to help others not to belong to the scrub guard is necessary to that extend. What a luck this phenomenon seems to be limited to STO. :/
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    On a more general tone, after a few weeks of break from this place I can only contribute how this thread alone gives me the creeps in some areas that never seem to change:

The very second one even makes a small hint at how some game items contribute to performance and some do not stupid comments are sure to follow.

What is everybody around here so afraid of? This game has zero demands and gets zero invests by its players when it comes to performance already. The result can be witnessed in every public match one joins and where one pug undercuts the other no matter what.

I doubt that the hate and fear one causes on the mere attempt to help others not to belong to the scrub guard is necessary to that extend. What a luck this phenomenon seems to be limited to STO. :/

Given how the game is going. One can't help unless the other asks, and most times chat isn't used. From my experience here, it seems most just keep it closed. But, I keep my open most of the time time, as I tend to hang out in social zones, except ESD that cesspool needs to burn again, and sector space. It see someone asking for help, I generally try to help them, or at least get the set on the right path for what they want.

However, as far as performance, well, I'm sure you've seen my poor man's build on my Maquis, one that anyone can get. The ship, well, better drop a few hundred mil EC for it on the exchange. But the build itself was made for a different ship. However, on performance, there are some traits that make you scratch your head and go, now how, or what kind of build would this best perform in. So there are some things out there whose ability to help your performance is questionable.

And then you have things like my ground stealth build, that can pretty much one-shot anything. It was tagging 3200+ crits at Mk XII VR before the endeavor system, and this was just gear wise with only swapping out the covert trait for one of my others. It would only be usable in 1v1 pvp, it really has no other place in the game where it can be used.

So really, this isn't so much about performance. It's more about people who are not willing to put in the little bit of effort it takes to improve it. I mean it's not like there isn't tons of information and channels one can reference for such things.

Now with this we have four times of people ingame.

1. Those that seek to get the best performance they can.
    2. Those, like me, that toy with builds to see what works and performs well.
    3. Those that find a comfortable spot with their setup and stay there, their choice.
    4. Those that just don't bother.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

The borg appears to be account bound while in the box. Are you saying that it won't become Rom if we open the box on a Rom?

This is true, so make it that you open the Borg BOff box on a Romulan if you want the rare female Liberated Borg Romulan Engineer.

This was obviously for those who collect rare BOffs. Alternatively, what do the JH Vanguard BOffs really contribute on ground? Do you finish an episode a whole minute faster because of them? BOffs are generally so terrible with their rate of fire that you wouldn't notice the difference between any of their traits even with all 4 completely optimized. There's a much greater difference with selection of classes/specializations and abilities than there is from a bit of resistance (to something that you rarely run into, versus the lower resistance to energy and physical, which you run into all the time, that a Lib Borg has) and a little more health, or even some extra crit chance and damage. They don't come along on TFOs, and on the only ground map where there's any kind of competition, Dyson Battlezone, you only have 2, so it would be even less of a cumulative effect. I would throw all of my BOffs away on a ground map for just one other actual human. Even a weakly-geared other player can flank things, and they usually fire their weapons and use their abilities far better, and often actually avoid death patches.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited April 2020

This is true, so make it that you open the Borg BOff box on a Romulan if you want the rare female Liberated Borg Romulan Engineer.

This was obviously for those who collect rare BOffs. Alternatively, what do the JH Vanguard BOffs really contribute on ground? Do you finish an episode a whole minute faster because of them? BOffs are generally so terrible with their rate of fire that you wouldn't notice the difference between any of their traits even with all 4 completely optimized. There's a much greater difference with selection of classes/specializations and abilities than there is from a bit of resistance (to something that you rarely run into, versus the lower resistance to energy and physical, which you run into all the time, that a Lib Borg has) and a little more health, or even some extra crit chance and damage. They don't come along on TFOs, and on the only ground map where there's any kind of competition, Dyson Battlezone, you only have 2, so it would be even less of a cumulative effect. I would throw all of my BOffs away on a ground map for just one other actual human. Even a weakly-geared other player can flank things, and they usually fire their weapons and use their abilities far better, and often actually avoid death patches.

hologram boffs for your away team. just because you dont need ev suits for them ;)
    in addition, dukan rex might be the best ground boff available due to his traits.
  • zeddicuszeddzeddicuszedd Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I've tried to add my free Borg Engineering Bridge Officer but I'm getting the error that "I may only have one Starfleet Borg Bridge Engineer". Yes, I already have the Amazon Pre-order Borg from 10 years ago. I feel this error is going against the spirit of the giveaway. It's also irritating because I had to purchase a bridge officer slot for the officer. Does anyone know a way around my error?

Regards to All
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    I've tried to add my free Borg Engineering Bridge Officer but I'm getting the error that "I may only have one Starfleet Borg Bridge Engineer". Yes, I already have the Amazon Pre-order Borg from 10 years ago. I feel this error is going against the spirit of the giveaway. It's also irritating because I had to purchase a bridge officer slot for the officer. Does anyone know a way around my error?

Regards to All

Maybe putting it on a different captain would work (if you have one that is, I am an altaholic but I know people who never play a second character).

My problem is the opposite, I am undecided as to which Romulan's crew to put her in.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, they have a tendency to do that. A recent giveaway from Alienware gave you a Federation Orion Bridge Officer. Unfortunately, if you already had your Tier 4 Diplomacy Boff, you couldn't add it with the 'You can only have one...'

If the Officer is still boxed have another Character who does not have a Liberated Borg use it.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited April 2020

Regards to All

Check your Roster. When looking over doff's, especially in the stations area, look down bottom right for "Commission". This is where Boffs go before they end up in your inventory. So if you already have one, would be better to give it to another character.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Regards to All
    This is part of why I opened it on a Romulan. The Fed version isn't special.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.