test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How is everyone doing around the world with the Coronavirus Isolation

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starkaos wrote: »
    What makes you think that everyone in this world is not a computer program running on a massive simulation.

Because it's a nonsense hypothesis. Solipsism is the laziest of philosophy.
    This is the only thing that makes sense with how crazy this world is.

There are many branches of psychological science that model and map human behaviour. There's also economic and political science and all other parts of social science that explain 'how crazy this world is'.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Some things I haven't been able to find out directly without doing some serious Google Fu.
    - How many people world wide have been infected and recovered.
    - Why haven't any of the news outlets around the globe mentioned anything at all about deaths from influenza this year.
    - Who benefits the most from the constant fear mongering.

Yes, I am taking this outbreak seriously. Scary as all get out someone can be infectious prior to showing any signs at all of the disease. What is more, according to the experts, I am in one of the vulnerable groups who can suffer the worst aspects of this disease(i.e. I'm old!). Including dying from it.

But at the same time, humans are not supposed to be fed or use a diet of constant fear. It isn't healthy individually or collectively. Hope is a powerful tool when applied correctly. Ignoring positive signs while shouting, "DOOM!" at the top of your lungs constantly doesn't help anyone.

So, wash your hands until the hide falls off. Wave at your kids from across the room. Fistbump your...nevermind. Strike that, please. But...
    Stop. Being. Afraid.

"Fear is the mind death. Fear is the little killer. I will face my fear and let it wash over me. And when it is gone, I will remain."

If you're doing the recommended things to slow/control the outbreak all I can say is, "Bravo! Well Done!" Keep generating that positive energy. Do something nice for someone else. Like offer to pick up groceries for an elderly person in your neighborhood. More positive energy right there. If enough of us take care of the small things and do our best to generate hope and optimism, this too shall pass.

As to the OP's question, I'm still working. When this is over, people will need trucks to deliver things to help all of us get back up to speed. So I'm training drivers. I'm also thinking seriously about returning to driving over the road. Those people in New York will need someone to deliver all the things they need. Both now and after this thing is over. I can do my part of that. Would it be possible I could catch the disease by doing so? Yup. But their need is greater than my fear. And my conscience will keep kicking me until I do something about it.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    The main issue with Corona is that it seems to be EXTREMELY contageous. The Flu... eh... its something we face every year. Corona came out of nowhere, and is hitting the most vulnerable people the hardest and spreads like wildfire.

And its not just New York getting hammered. Washington State is as well.

I'm not too worried. We're at least trying to get a handle on it. What I'm more worried about right now is political. A certain Tangerine with a Tribble on his head has a beef with my state's governor, and already apparently slapped New York when they asked for more supplies.

But that's about as far as I'm gonna go on that subject.

Everyone's doing what they can to stop this virus.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Apart from going slightly mad (just very slightly mad) from isolation and fear, I'm doing fine so far dispite living in the part of Finland that has the largest number of infected people (both in total and relative to the population) though none of the people I know have been infected so far.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Going stir crazy,
    The_shining_heres_johnny.jpg
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
      I transport food.. So I got a lot to do because idiots are buying out the stores, lol. I got more work now than before the virus started.
      I started playing this again...
      capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1540305519
      And I still need to finish this too...
      capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1553623017

And Battletech.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      Does anyone else think this is the perfect time to do a Recruitment event?
    • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      @rattler2 Saw the Battletech remark. Dug out all my old MechWarrior IV: Mercenaries stuff the other day. I had forgotten just how much fun that game is. So are you a Trueborn warrior or a stravag Inner Sphere surat?
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
      Been playing World of Warships,
      https://www.deviantart.com/bloodrave1984/art/HMS-Hood-835032904.

Been learning how to play Hood with varying degrees of success, I just need to avoid Bismarck
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        @rattler2 Saw the Battletech remark. Dug out all my old MechWarrior IV: Mercenaries stuff the other day. I had forgotten just how much fun that game is. So are you a Trueborn warrior or a stravag Inner Sphere surat?

Depends on the game. In MechWarrior 2 I actually leaned more towards Clan Wolf. After that... generaliy Inner Sphere, specifically Davion. Clan or Inner Sphere though... I love me a good MadCat/Timber Wolf.

Although I also enjoyed the Clan Tech start when you picked Wolf's Dragoons in MW4Mercs. Wish I could get mine to work, as I also have BOTH 'mech paks. Would be nice if GOG was able to get the Mech games.

Also Jade Falcons are pricks, and Smoke Jaguars deserved what they got with Operations Bulldog and Serpent. B)
      • sheleia#7367 sheleia Member Posts: 1 New User
        Not sure this will let me comment as this is new account. I think I played this a while back or another version now coming back to handle my boredom from the coronavirus. We're not shelter in place here yet but neighboring cities/counties are and I am furloughed from my job as it is nonessential for the time being. Hoping it passes soon, never thought I'd hear myself say I miss working!
        Day 8, I'm going loco
        NMXb2ph.png
        • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
          but are you going #Loco4Lorca?​​
          Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
          An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
          A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
          A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
          "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
          Passion and Serenity are one.
          I gain power by understanding both.
          In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
          I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
          The Force is united within me.
          I want out, simple.
          NMXb2ph.png
            The safest people in the world from this virus must be the astronauts on the Space Station.
          • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
            The safest people in the world from this virus must be the astronauts on the Space Station.

You very well may be right on that count. I'll be happy once this all gets under control.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
          • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
            spiritborn wrote: »
            Apart from going slightly mad (just very slightly mad)...
            So it seems some folks are coping by doing what I often do - quoting song lyrics. :lol:

(Monday night, Stephen Colbert debuted his quarantine show, A Late Show With Stephen Colbert. His only guest that night, using Zoom from his own basement, was John Oliver. At one point, they returned from a commercial break, and Stephen asked John, "So, how did you fill the time? What did you use to fill the empty spaces where we used to talk?")
            Lorna-Wing-sig.png
            reyan01 wrote: »
            All elements of the media seem to be ignoring anything positive in favour of bellowing "DOOM" at every turn. Although I am certainly NOT arguing that the virus shouldn't be taken seriously I, sadly, strongly suspect that additional elements such as the constant diet of fear from the media and social isolation will add to the death toll. :'(
            And the media won't report that.

Not really getting that here in Washington State. The news keeps reporting on Corona, but its not "DOOOOOOOOOM". Hell... one of the stations is actually doing the occasional debunking of rumors about Corona that ARE some sources of "DOOOOOM".
            Still, at least have STO for some escapism. Started a new Romulan char last night. Also won a Borg Juggernaught by pure chance, on key 8 of 10, opening boxes for Lobi to use to purchase new gear for the aforementioned new character. :)

Congratulations. Must be due to karma.
            edited April 2020
            I'm losing it, I really am.
            I hate it, I'm beginning to hate the authorities and the longer this goes on, the more irate, angry and berserk I'll go.
            I'm to the point of not giving a TRIBBLE anymore.
            NMXb2ph.png
              I hate it, I'm beginning to hate the authorities and the longer this goes on, the more irate, angry and berserk I'll go.

It is our parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles that are at the greatest risk. We lock ourselves in our homes so that they are more likely to survive. The only authorities that matter at this point of time is medical personnel and others that are trying to protect our health. All other authorities are useless at this point in time.
            • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User

I understand why you would be frustrated but hating the authorities is not the answer. Being more irate, angry, and berserk is not the answer. Instead think of things that you are thankful for and list them item by item. As well as pursue other hobbies during this time.
              Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
              Not being able to see family and friends is hurting me, every time I see a police officer now, that anger and rage shows in my emotions.

The worst part is I cannot go and see my little sister on her 16th birthday and that really annoys me.
              NMXb2ph.png
                Not being able to see family and friends is hurting me, every time I see a police officer now, that anger and rage shows in my emotions.

The worst part is I cannot go and see my little sister on her 16th birthday and that really annoys me.

Skype, Facetime, and similar software does help with missing your family and friends in this time of crisis, but it is not as good as visiting them in person. I am certain that your little sister will appreciate being able to see you through Skype on her birthday and then visit as soon as this pandemic is over.

I saw a video about these two people in buildings across the street from each other that was able to have a long distance date. The horror is that this is how things will be from now on or just a practice run for the future. Where all dating will be long distance and the vast majority of human interaction is filtered through a screen
              • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
                As has been said already, it really doesn't help that the media etc are feeding us a diet of constant fear. All elements of the media seem to be ignoring anything positive in favour of bellowing "DOOM" at every turn. Although I am certainly NOT arguing that the virus shouldn't be taken seriously I, sadly, strongly suspect that additional elements such as the constant diet of fear from the media and social isolation will add to the death toll. :'(
                And the media won't report that.

Still, at least have STO for some escapism. Started a new Romulan char last night. Also won a Borg Juggernaught by pure chance, on key 8 of 10, opening boxes for Lobi to use to purchase new gear for the aforementioned new character. :)

I agree. While the virus should indeed be taken seriously, they really need to chill with the doom and gloom stuff, and stick with the facts. And the positive, when there's some good news.

On a lighter note, congrats on the Juggernaut! May it bring you lots of fun. =) Happy lobi-ing as well!

You have my sympathies. My cousin and I's birthday falls on the same day. We'd love to go out and have a party of some sort, even if it's just dinner. We did touch on it some not too long ago, and we pretty much agreed that we'll cross that bridge when we get there. My best to you and your sister!

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
                edited April 2020
                Thanks, my family are a bunch of technophobes which means the only way I see them is in person.
                They don't have video calling and Skype.

Post edited by theraven2378 on
                NMXb2ph.png
                  Thanks, my family are a bunch of technophobes which means the only way I see them is in person.
                  They don't have video calling and Skype.

If there is any non-Technophobes in your family, it would be your little sister. As long as she has a computer or smart phone, then she should be able to install the appropriate program or app or already has it. After all, it is currently the only way to see all of her friends.
                  edited April 2020
                  My older sisters have smartphones as does my little brother.
                  My little sister is after one, I may give her my old smartphone since I never use it anymore.

On the current crisis (I've been looking into other news sources as well as the MSM),
                  I'd rather have a dangerous freedom than no freedom at all.
                  I'm taking the libertarian viewpoint.

To throw away our freedom is wrong and immoral, police states are unacceptable by any means.

That simple.
                  NMXb2ph.png