test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Federation Hospital Ship!

irishhawkdrakeirishhawkdrake Member Posts: 43 Arc User
This is the right time for a science ship based on the navel hospital ships. Allow us to play out our medical dramas in space aboard our giant flying hospitals! Give it a white hull with red medical insignia. Our captains would be wearing one of those cool white Starfleet uniforms! Please Cryptic, HEAD THE CALL OF THE ADVENTURING HOSPITAL SHIP! mercy.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    I want a troop transport that can hold an extra 500 doffs. :D
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    We already have a canon hospital ship, too. And it does not yet have a T6 variant (I think). The Pasteur from "All Good Things".

IIRC it does have a T6 varient, a temporal vessel yeah?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    IIRC it does have a T6 varient, a temporal vessel yeah?

No. You're thinking the T2 Daedelus, which is a TOS era ship.
    People are referring to this ship.
    latest?cb=20150928135351&path-prefix=en
    Which the in game version has a slightly different design.
    360?cb=20150106162638
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • irishhawkdrakeirishhawkdrake Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Design-wise i was thinking something more rectangular shaped, much like a carrier. Those 60's-esque sphere ships are just too damn ugly.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    westmetals wrote: »
    We already have a canon hospital ship, too. And it does not yet have a T6 variant (I think). The Pasteur from "All Good Things".

I'd sure love to see a T6 variant of the Pasteur for sure, I'd even welcome one on the Klingon or Romulan side as well.
    0zxlclk.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    klingons don't have hospital ships - getting wounded in battle (especially if you LOST the battle) is treated with disdain at best​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    To be honest in game those are just regular science ships, how would a hospital ship even work with STO mechanics. I mean what would hospital ships do to make different from bog standard science ships, crews got removed from game and pretty much all the ships are inorganic so there's not really anyway a hospital ship could contribute to an encounter.

Now a "medical ship" skin for the pre-existing classes that are suppose to be hospital ships sure but designing a ship from the ground up to be a hospital ship seems unlikely simply due to there not really being a viable option how to integrate it to the current game-mechanics (and no, a ship that intentionally is meant to do absolutely nothing during encounters is never gonna happen).

Also the Red Cross symbol is both not the canon symbol for Starfleet medical ships (you see the canon symbol at the TNG screencaps there) and more importantly is copyrighted to the organization of the same name.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    yeah, funnily enough, the starfleet medical emblem makes the exact same mistake most other media sources using a caduceus or any variant of it makes - namely, the caduceus is NOT a symbol of medicine or healing - the proper symbol is supposed to be the rod of asclepius​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    klingons don't have hospital ships - getting wounded in battle (especially if you LOST the battle) is treated with disdain at best

They still need treatment, and escape pods for that matter. If we assume every battle lost Klingon fleets just self-destruct, the empire would run out of ships and warriors rather quickly pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    yeah, funnily enough, the starfleet medical emblem makes the exact same mistake most other media sources using a caduceus or any variant of it makes - namely, the caduceus is NOT a symbol of medicine or healing - the proper symbol is supposed to be the rod of asclepius​​

Indeed for those not up to speed in their greco-roman myths, the Caducues is the symbol of Hermes/Mercurius the messenger of the gods and has nothing to do with healing what so ever. Asclepius is an ancient greek god of medicine so obviously his rod ended up as the symbol of medicine.

The difference is that caducues has two serpents and the staff is winged (it actually the symbol of shiftness that's associated with Hermes as I stated before), while the rod of Asclepius has single serpent and no wings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus

edited April 2020
    I never mentioned red crosses, I wrote "red medical insignia". and as for function, the ship designers tend to be quite clever. Im certain a mechanic of some sort would apply to these ships that would work fine. Just give me a big white rectangular shaped ship (like the Jem'Hadar carrier) with red marking and a cool medical themed console or innate ship ability like aggressive ship buffs or large enemy disabling/pacification. I'm sure the staff will think of something
    The thing is as I mentioned crew were removed as a mechanic (ships used to have crews) and the ships themselves are inorganic so what would you suggest then as Hospital ships are by their very nature not suppose to engage in-combat (in real life medical ships have no weapons) either directly or in-directly. That is in-fact the reason for the Red Cross markings in the medical ships, it essentially says "don't attack this ship unless you want to TRIBBLE of the Red Cross" and due being a vital source of medical aid for all sides no-one in real life conflicts wants to anger the Red Cross.

You don't seem to grasp the magnitude of what you're asking, pretty much all ship specialities so far have used pre-existing mechanics, where as your suggestion would demand Cryptic to make a mechanic unique to this ship type. Basically you're asking for a ship that at the same time has to get envolved in combat and cannot get involved in combat, could the devs solve it, maybe however I cannot see them trying anytime soon.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    I dunno about a hostpial ship (although having a mission where you have to defend one might be a fun idea), but I've always thought that a medical officer (or surgeon or.. whatever) specialization could be an intreasting idea
    To be fair, Medical does fall under the Science umbrella. So having a Medical ship be a Science ship in game makes sense. Maybe give access to specific medical markings for RP purposes.

But still... we have a canon Medical ship, and the associated class. We just need a T6 version as well as a canon model.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    To be fair, Medical does fall under the Science umbrella. So having a Medical ship be a Science ship in game makes sense. Maybe give access to specific medical markings for RP purposes.

But still... we have a canon Medical ship, and the associated class. We just need a T6 version as well as a canon model.

I think Medical being under science might in fact be reason why the medical symbol in TNG is dark blue, blue being the traditional Starfleet color for "science".
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Hospital Ship. Take one T6 Science Vessel (I'd personally would use a MMSV), equip with as much AUXILIARY boosting consoles and gear you can so its healing is maxed out, have science officer with Hazard Emitters and Science Team as high as possible, have engineer with Engineering Team as high as possible. If you have the Lukari Science ship (but don;t like flying it), pull the Protomatter uber-heal console and stuff it in.

There, you effectively have a "Hospital" Ship. And the fun bit is that works for all the factions.
    Hospital Ship. Take one T6 Science Vessel (I'd personally would use a MMSV), equip with as much AUXILIARY boosting consoles and gear you can so its healing is maxed out, have science officer with Hazard Emitters and Science Team as high as possible, have engineer with Engineering Team as high as possible. If you have the Lukari Science ship (but don;t like flying it), pull the Protomatter uber-heal console and stuff it in.

There, you effectively have a "Hospital" Ship. And the fun bit is that works for all the factions.

See? THAT'S a productive response. I appreciate your input and I just may do this.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    I think Medical being under science might in fact be reason why the medical symbol in TNG is dark blue, blue being the traditional Starfleet color for "science".

Well... Science and Medical have pretty much ALWAYS shared the same departmental color. I think the only oddball might be the TMP movies with the nice WoK uniforms.
    Even in Discovery, while having white uniforms, they still had the same departmental color as Science.

See? THAT'S a productive response. I appreciate your input and I just may do this.

So I went and bought a Brigid Multi-Mission Surveillance Explorer and slotted that Lukari Protomater console in it. Looking around for other consoles to put in.

So I went and bought a Brigid Multi-Mission Surveillance Explorer and slotted that Lukari Protomater console in it. Looking around for other consoles to put in.

Protomatter is good, personally I'd suggest consoles that either passively buff the team in a way you consider as "taking care of the wounded" personally I'd steer away from any hull healing consoles as that's not medical it's engineering and what you want is a moving hospital not a moving spacedock.

That said protomatter and hazzard emitters are good choices for that (you justify hazzard emitters as decontamination and the way protomatter works it should heal the crew along repairing the hull) then seek out consoles and powers that either do hazzard debuff cleasing from others or boost the target ship in a way that could be considering "healing the crew", oh and tractor beams you got to pick up the escape pods some way and who says those couldn't be used for self-defense if needed, that way if you can afford it the console from the Klingon Sarcophagus ship could fit the team (its active power is a bunch of tractor beams).
    spiritborn wrote: »

Protomatter is good, personally I'd suggest consoles that either passively buff the team in a way you consider as "taking care of the wounded" personally I'd steer away from any hull healing consoles as that's not medical it's engineering and what you want is a moving hospital not a moving spacedock.

That said protomatter and hazzard emitters are good choices for that (you justify hazzard emitters as decontamination and the way protomatter works it should heal the crew along repairing the hull) then seek out consoles and powers that either do hazzard debuff cleasing from others or boost the target ship in a way that could be considering "healing the crew", oh and tractor beams you got to pick up the escape pods some way and who says those couldn't be used for self-defense if needed, that way if you can afford it the console from the Klingon Sarcophagus ship could fit the team (its active power is a bunch of tractor beams).

Got the repelling tractor beams and Science Team III slotted. I'll fit in the Hazard Emitters. Found a white hull and gave it red trim
    USS MERCY n5R7wRU.png
  • lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    Hospital ships cannot be armed though. Not that useful in a combat-focused game.
    yjIzVE9.png
    Hospital ships cannot be armed though. Not that useful in a combat-focused game.

True for our world but might not be true for Star Trek, since while UFP (aka Starfleet) wouldn't target medical ships, same cannot be said of the other races (let alone things like pirates) so limited self-defense weapons are probably a must, still that should be weaker then dedicated combat vessels, think like merchant vessels compared to man-o-wars during the age of sail.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    How would alien species know what Earth symbology would be for a Medical Ship? Even we don't have a unified symbology.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    U.S.S. House MD... best for unknown alien infection.. (or lupus, finally!..)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Gout
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    How would alien species know what Earth symbology would be for a Medical Ship? Even we don't have a unified symbology.
    Because we told them? You're not gonna send a hospital ship into the Final Frontier, that's what the Explorer ships like the Galaxy-class are for. As for the local powers all UFP has to say is "this symbol means the ship in question is non-combatant, shooting it is a war crime" and for Starfleet to respect the symbol (aka not use medical ships as combat ships), we know from DS9 that there are rules and customs of war that seem somewhat universally accepted by the "Alpha Quadrant Powers".
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    klingons don't have hospital ships - getting wounded in battle (especially if you LOST the battle) is treated with disdain at best​​

Well, no. Klingons see wounds taken in honourable battle as a good thing. There is a reason Martok didn't let Bashir repair his eye.
This discussion has been closed.