test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Defend First Contact Day!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
edited March 2020 in Galactic News Network [PC]
This year, our First Contact Day celebration is a three week event, featuring a brand new mission! Return to the original First Contact with Seven of Nine, and battle time traveling Borg, or build a model Phoenix in 2411, and earn a new console!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11386403

Comments

• talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Completing either of these participating activities once per day, per account, will earn you a First Contact Day Badge Box. Opening this box will grant players the opportunity to choose between 17 never-before-released Comm Badges as account-wide unlocks. Once unlocked, these immediately become accessible from any Tailor for any Federation character on your entire account.
    This is a big disappointment. I understand the First Contact Day is a Federation-centered event but still...
    Post edited by talgeeze on
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    I would add to talgeeze's sentiment that this is an opportunity to release concept badges for the KDF and RRN that didn't make it into service. Also surprised that Zef's outfit isn't an unlock (they did have to do much of the modeling for it to make the statue).

With respect to the event itself: while it makes sense that the Borg would be trying to alter history, I would be amused if there was also a chance for a given instance of the TFO to have Na'kuhl or the TLFinvolved as well... In fact, I do wonder how hard it would be to add 'chance for Na'kuhl/TLF kill team' to existing patrols...
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I would add to talgeeze's sentiment that this is an opportunity to release concept badges for the KDF and RRN that didn't make it into service.

Considering neither of them use combadges, I don't see the problem.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Notice that the normal package of 3 select boxes (Spec Point or Item Upgrade) has been reduced to ONE Spec Point only. It may be implicit but no boilerplate about using Legacy Featured TFO Tokens either.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Sounds like a decent new little twist to the event. I've always liked this event for it's outdoorsy appeal & adding another option to it just enhances the event. The Temporal Vortex Probe (TVP) sounds like a neat space toy to play with in some scenarios.

Don't these type of events usually, used to, reward 3x Captain Specialization Points? Is this Cryptic reducing rewards again?
  • finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    "This console provides a passive boost to Exotic Damage and Cooldown Reduction for Temporal Operative Bridge Officer Abilities, as well as a scaling bonus to Turn Speed that scales with Auxiliary Power."

*happy Gorn sounds*
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    Will this provide progress in the overall event campaign too? I didn't see it mentioned.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I so whished we could revisit the Mars Utopia Planetia map this year and meet the Enterprise crew again. Pity..
  • vongravenvongraven Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Don't these type of events usually, used to, reward 3x Captain Specialization Points? Is this Cryptic reducing rewards again?

This event used to be a mini-event actually, so one box of spec points sounded reasonable for the former event. You only needed to complete it 4 times to get the reward. But Cryptic turned it from 4 to 14 this time and the rewards are really disappointing at this point. Huge, huge disappontment, Cryptic. Well, seems like only nerfs are coming in the last time anyways. Many of my ingame buds already reduced their time spent in this game because of TRIBBLE like this coming again and again, and those people were actually lifers. Shame to lose good people, thats my major point.

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Completing either of these participating activities once per day, per account, will earn you a First Contact Day Badge Box. Opening this box will grant players the opportunity to choose between 17 never-before-released Comm Badges as account-wide unlocks. Once unlocked, these immediately become accessible from any Tailor for any Federation character on your entire account.

Now this is interesting, and the adding of a new mission unexpected. Thanks!

Side note: the console would, I believe, have been better if it added speed based on Aux power setting. My Vesta needs more speed, not so much a higher turn rate. Still looks interesting.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Another 3-week event, not even a week after the last 3-week event.
    Please, stop.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
    When it was a five day (Weekend type) Event then one Spec Point was fine. They turned this into a 21-day Event but didn't update that Reward to the standard three Selection Boxes.

> @foppotee#4552 said:
    > Don't these type of events usually, used to, reward 3x Captain Specialization Points? Is this Cryptic reducing rewards again?

I literally mentioned the three Rewards on the Post above yours.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »
    I would add to talgeeze's sentiment that this is an opportunity to release concept badges for the KDF and RRN that didn't make it into service.

Considering neither of them use combadges, I don't see the problem.

It'd be nice to have the option to use the wrist communicator used in the original crew movies (which includes TMP) for Starfleet captains.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    It'd be nice to have the option to use the wrist communicator used in the original crew movies (which includes TMP) for Starfleet captains.
    This is a good idea, and actually synergizes well with some tailor options. Quite aside from this (and the idea of selectable transporter FX - for example, owning any Hur'q ship makes their 'globe' transporter FX available as an option), there's no reason the notional KDF 'combadges' should not be wrist devices of some sort... after all, the beamout animation for those operators has them manipulating an invisible one.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    I would add to talgeeze's sentiment that this is an opportunity to release concept badges for the KDF and RRN that didn't make it into service. Also surprised that Zef's outfit isn't an unlock (they did have to do much of the modeling for it to make the statue).

With respect to the event itself: while it makes sense that the Borg would be trying to alter history, I would be amused if there was also a chance for a given instance of the TFO to have Na'kuhl or the TLFinvolved as well... In fact, I do wonder how hard it would be to add 'chance for Na'kuhl/TLF kill team' to existing patrols...

not hard at all, since you already get randomized enemies in ninth rule​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    When it was a five day (Weekend type) Event then one Spec Point was fine. They turned this into a 21-day Event but didn't update that Reward to the standard three Selection Boxes.

> @foppotee#4552 said:
    > Don't these type of events usually, used to, reward 3x Captain Specialization Points? Is this Cryptic reducing rewards again?

I literally mentioned the three Rewards on the Post above yours.

Then you also hopefully saw then that the two posts, your & mine, were literally 3 minutes apart so given the timing yours wasn't present when I began mine.
  • adarandreladarandrel Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Is this part of the zen coupon event?
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Notice that the normal package of 3 select boxes (Spec Point or Item Upgrade) has been reduced to ONE Spec Point only. It may be implicit but no boilerplate about using Legacy Featured TFO Tokens either.

True, but in previous years, this event gave no dilithium at all, not for the main project, and not for bonus days. I mean, the thing is absolutely impossible to fail, and can be done completely AFK.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    djf021 wrote: »
    Will this provide progress in the overall event campaign too? I didn't see it mentioned.

I am assuming no, because it's not mentioned in the announcement.

But this is Cryptic.. so you never know. Things you need to know often aren't conveyed or conveyed incorrectly so as usual we're left to just guess.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    szim wrote: »
    I so whished we could revisit the Mars Utopia Planetia map this year and meet the Enterprise crew again. Pity..

Yea, I mean I do hope the Federation is planning to rebuild after the attacks from Picard series; as Utopia Planetia has become such an 'icon' in the Federation. Still back to the thread topic...

I'm interested to see what this new Borg attempt at preventing first contact, it sounds very familiar to First Contact the movie, except that the major change see's Seven there rather than Picard, Riker, Deanna, Data, or any of the TNG Crew.

Still it should be Interesting to see how they adapt it into their story... ...and the console does sound Interesting for sure!
    0zxlclk.png
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I wish they could've added Geordi instead of Seven.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    Please, stop.

You do not need to play the event if you don't want to. Also, this might be Cryptic's way to cope with the current pandemic and not just a new principle in play. Besides I was not interested in Lorca's Armor since I am really not into Terran stuff so I skipped that event when that was a thing. Finally, they give you at least two ways to earn progress as opposed to the BoBs one, where there was only one way by playing the Battle of the Binary Stars TFO. Please do not give into FOMO. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    yay. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Please, stop.

You do not need to play the event if you don't want to. Also, this might be Cryptic's way to cope with the current pandemic and not just a new principle in play. Besides I was not interested in Lorca's Armor since I am really not into Terran stuff so I skipped that event when that was a thing. Finally, they give you at least two ways to earn progress as opposed to the BoBs one, where there was only one way by playing the Battle of the Binary Stars TFO. Please do not give into FOMO. Thanks. :)

It's more like, FCD is a chill, quick event. Basically over a weekend. Stretching it out over 3 weeks is a bit much.
    I remember the days when we had more than one week in-between events.

I don't have a lot of time to play, so it's either I play events, or do something else in-game. So I basically end up going into TFOs with Mk12 gear because it's all I have time for. Events are my primary source of dilithium (even though they're nerfed now), so I still need to do them. But since I pretty much just have time for one event run in a day, I can't do anything else in the game. Admiralty per-day takes me much longer than any timed TFO, so I don't do that much, at least when an event is running.

I know, it's a problem of my own making, but years ago the in-between time I could spend learning game mechanics and doing things like admiralty, or build experimentation. Now I just play with whatever gear I have, and don't really know, or have time to figure out what works together well.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
    > @anodynes said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > True, but in previous years, this event gave no dilithium at all, not for the main project, and not for bonus days. I mean, the thing is absolutely impossible to fail, and can be done completely AFK.

But they turned the little Event into a 21-day Event and that comes with its own set of baggage. Also, their coy statement about a 'fresh coat of paint' being added to the Rocket Building Event could be measures to stop AFKing (or it could mean they changed the colors on the Backpacks and Rockets,, you never know with this crowd).
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • skorzeny#5114 skorzeny Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Please, stop.

Agreed. JUST STOP IT. And stop forcing elements into First Contact Day THAT HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH IT! It's like you want people to quit.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    Blog states event will run from 04/09 - 04/30. Launcher states 04/02 - 04/23. Which is correct? My money is on launcher.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    Blog states event will run from 04/09 - 04/30. Launcher states 04/02 - 04/23. Which is correct? My money is on launcher.
    Read closer
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11386403
    Star Trek Online is pleased to once again invite you to join us for the First Contact Day Celebration starting on PC on April 2nd, 2020 and continuing until April 23rd, 2020.

This Event will also run on console platforms delayed by only one week. Join the celebration there, starting on April 9th, 2020 and running until April 30th, 2020.

The blog got updated after my post to you posting yours.