test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

With Picard s1 now over, what will change in STO? (potential spoilers)

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    So, a little while back they said the next expansion would "change the face of the game" with alterations to the story and backstory. Presumably this is due to the events of the first season of Picard.

nothing in Picard is going to "change the face of the game" at least not the season 1. And if something is added, be ready for gamble boxes, lobi stuff.

^ This pretty much...other than maybe new episode(s) with the new Seven can't see much really being added other than gamble box ships.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    No major retcons are needed. Some minor ones may occur like how Icheb was replaced with a no name. But other than the occasional new ship and costume, nothing will need to be changed.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • blumblattblumblatt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Well, my try to speculate what could change here in STO:

- We got the Fenris Ranger

Seven and Elnor are in. Seven as "Commanding Officer" of the Fenris Rangers and now Elnor as Execute Battle Officer (Well mostly Melee). Problem here is her Appearance in Voyager Episodes ingame. But i bet they could make something out. Like Worf as TNG Crew and Ambassador

- We have the xBs Borg Cube. It can be used as the Fenris mobile HQ, to not drag or ask the Federation for Help
    - Also They could use the Twin Androids curiosity about the other Worlds out there. So Dr. Soong could play (in reality he is) their mentor or Dad to guide them to interact with the outside Worlds
    - Also there are still these Borg Body Parts Black market hunters (The Dark Side of Black Market). I bet they feel now get a Jackpot if they get their hands on some of Soongs Little Children, So that why Fenris Rangers could Protect the Xbs and them, or some of them join Seven's cause. Are Soongs Children all like Soji? I mean beside their Skin and Eyes, are they all "battle ready" like her? Or was had she special care, because Soong send her and her Sister on a Voyage?

I do not think only 1 XB Cube can make a difference that we should expect something like the Romulan arc. The Collective is still out there. It is more like the DS9 Episode where 1 Jem Hadar Ship crash landed on some Planet and one of them did not need the Control Drug. To less to make an Impact

With the Lift of the Android Ban, they should now try to save Mars. There is no need of anymore martyr Status to remind everyone "how bad the Synths and Traitors they are!". Because it all based on a Lie.Perhaps even here we could have some similar Episodes like New Romulus. Perhaps events of "Save and Rebuild Mars" Stuff. Collecting Resources or stuff (i am only a thinker!)

So with Picard Season 1 ended, we have:

- Fenris Ranger and their Fight in the Outer Rims . Could fit in here (But do not forget to balance the Enemies in fight)
    - xBs Borg Cube. Perhaps they should give this Cube now a name
    - Seven and Elnor becoming "Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force" Fenris rangers or repel the Bad Guys that are after the Xbs and Soongs Androids (Pirates and other scum)

We should not touch Picards future Path. That the Job of his 2nd Season. If they plan to use him, then just as a side character that do not affect to much. Like a Desk Job solution like the "famous" Admiral after the Tutorial. Also he is no more the Captain/Admiral of the Enterprise

Well, i hope my ideas are not to much outside of the Box. Because this here is still Cryptic and how owns them now?

Mfg,
    blumblatt

p.s. If someone from the Writer room is reading, feel free to use it. it's a Win-Win for me
    Post edited by blumblatt on
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    honestly I'd be leery of having any of the major characters from Picard show up. that said if I was cryptic I'd check in with the showrunners about Oh's status, if they're not planning on using her as a foil for future seasons she'd be a PERFECT person to bring into STO as a villian
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Honesty...let that piece of history stay where it is at. Since it only occurred in a manner of 22 days of the year 2399.
    Post edited by truewarper on
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    "New and Improved!" mostly isn't either one. While I appreciate the canon tie-ins we have now in STO, I'd rather Cryptic didn't immediately pivot to make ST:PIC the focal point of the next STO expansion.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    "New and Improved!" mostly isn't either one. While I appreciate the canon tie-ins we have now in STO, I'd rather Cryptic didn't immediately pivot to make ST:PIC the focal point of the next STO expansion.

New and Improved!
    HAVduWD.jpg
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User

Well considering that they’ve admitted that they only had one storyline left before they were out of ideas...these new shows are providing welcome content for them
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Well considering that they’ve admitted that they only had one storyline left before they were out of ideas...these new shows are providing welcome content for them
    Just in case anyone asks for the source
    https://priorityonepodcast.com/po387/
    There is so much new Star Trek coming out, right? How much we can leverage is overwhelming at this point now. I was coming up on like geez, what are we gonna do now. I have like a couple new stories that I want to take Star Trek Online, but then I was kinda running out of ideas. We hit every quadrant, we hit every major thing. I mean wow, every so often I would go back and be yeah thats right man, this is like a fanboy's dream, I can't believe it. I opened up my Connie and its like oh yeah I got a corbomite maneuver on there. How esoteric is that? It's wonderful that we have that level of detail, and fanservice, in our game. But now we've got Age of Discovery, we've got the Picard show, we've got the animated show, who knows whatever else they might be coming out with, and we're working with CBS. I mean CBS was just here about a month ago talking about what Discovery is doing, and what CBS is doing, and we get spoilers, and we get info, and how can we leverage that? You know, for stuff that hasn't even come out yet. We're already in those discussions. What can we do? So I don't think for a second that it's a bad thing that we're no longer the only place to get Star Trek. I think all it does is give us, puts us more in the forefront, and I think it'll just make us more popular, and more accessible to all the new and old fans.

https://priorityonepodcast.com/po414/
    27:00
    "We were getting to a dry spell. What other stories are we gonna do? Because we were running out. I had like one more arc I wanted to get into, but I was really kinda running out of ideas. Now we have too many ideas"

Thank you
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    sounds to me like they where being honest, they'd mined all the idea they could have but the new stuff has given them plenty more to mine. every new show is a new vein as it where ;)
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    if they lack of ideas, maybe they could work on a new exploration system; after all Trek is mostly about exploration. The mycosis (I use in purpose this word) idea in discovery was incredibly ridiculous; and the elachi, what could i say except lol. Picard is cool, but adds nothing in the Star Trek universe. The synths are boring, because most of them are too human (Soji for example).

currently, as i have nothing else to do, I watch again TOS, and even if this show is really old, each episode is an adventure, a journey to something new. the athmosphere and the unique visual impression of this tv show are incredible. Currently, all the science fiction tv shows or films seem all the same. (the expanse could be a prequel to star trek enterprise).

I'm a huge fan of Farscape, because of its uniqueness. The lack of this feature is sorely lacking in new Star Trek shows.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    One face change to the game could involve replacing Admiral Quinn with Admiral Riker... Voiced by Frakes himself

Probably not as that would need Frakes to essentially have a constant role, As Admiral Riker would have to replace all VO for Quinn including all future VOs. The major NPCs like Quinn or J'mpok will not be replaced anytime soon as doing so would be way too much work (also replacing them with Trek actor might also be too expensive, assuming those actors would even want to do it).

EDIT:Frakes is in his late 60s and lately has been mostly a director not an actor, though he has done some voice over work (lately that is), having a major role in a video game might not be something he would want to do.
    Picard is cool, but adds nothing in the Star Trek universe. The synths are boring, because most of them are too human (Soji for example).

currently, as i have nothing else to do, I watch again TOS, and even if this show is really old, each episode is an adventure, a journey to something new. the athmosphere and the unique visual impression of this tv show are incredible. Currently, all the science fiction tv shows or films seem all the same. (the expanse could be a prequel to star trek enterprise).

yes TOS had such original ideas as "the planet of the TRIBBLE people!" "the planet of the roman people!" "the planet of the chicago gangsters people"

let's not put the original up on a pedestal too much. And Picard added plenty,

off the top of my read, Vashti and the Quoat Milllat, Free Cloud, Allusions of the Fenresian rangers, the Zhad Vash. there's lots of little things for cryptic to borrow. It's worth noting some of cryptics best ideas actually come from tie ins to material that wasn't particularly well liked. plot hooks left dangling etc.

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Star Trek was never about exploration. Exploration was a plot device used in TOS and ENT to get the crew on a ship and meeting aliens.

Star Trek, as a franchise, was about exploring the human condition, using alien species as metaphors, and allegories, for different aspects of human nature, and having the cast "overcome" the problem.

I was reading a Star Trek book a few weeks ago that said NBC was pushing Gene and Star Trek to do more exploration of alien planets rather than using a bunch of ship episodes. Aliens cost a lot more money. Even spock ears were expensive. In fact the Romulans in Balance of Terror had helmets to hide the fact that they didn't have enough money to give the extras Vulcan ears.

But I agree with your point: The best Star Trek is about studying what makes us human through these "alien" motifs. And yeah that is why we have TOS gangster planets and the like because--they are stories about humans and the sets were available and cheap. And cheap is good television.

off the top of my read, Vashti and the Quoat Milllat, Free Cloud, Allusions of the Fenresian rangers, the Zhad Vash. there's lots of little things for cryptic to borrow. It's worth noting some of cryptics best ideas actually come from tie ins to material that wasn't particularly well liked. plot hooks left dangling etc.

True the Voth content is really playable even though it was a silly concept. Fortunately STO has a better sense of gameplay than plot. That is what made the Foundry so awesome too. Sure a lot of episodes had little gameplay and long walls of text, but in many ways there was often better Star Trek going on than in a lot of feature episodes.

STO has done some good exploration episodes and story episodes too though. Even "Measure of Morality" the questions about ethics are interesting--and perhaps as profound as a space shooter can get.

So I would like to see what STO can do with Picard--It will likely be better Star Trek than STP was...

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    They did what they could with the 60's technology. We are in 2020, I expect something more interesting than everything seen already in Picard or discovery. Nothing is new, nothing is spectacular; nothing is an excitement for the imagination.
    Star Trek is like Star Wars (movies), it is always the same content wrapped in a package just different enough to give the illusion. And these two universes become more and more filled with whining. Disney influence?
    Exploration was a plot device used in TOS and ENT to get the crew on a ship and meeting aliens.

indeed.
    Star Trek, as a franchise, was about exploring the human condition, using alien species as metaphors, and allegories, for different aspects of human nature, and having the cast "overcome" the problem.

I know, and in my point of view, the current status of humanity represented in the modern star trek tv shows is really sad and not realistic. The weakness is overrepresented, a lot of characters spend their time crying, whining, complaining; it's hopeless. I hated Soji's choice, for example.

the screenwriters of the star trek shows and even the sto devs should take a look at the characters of these tv shows: the expanse, westworld, stranger things, farscape (old one), etc . The characters of these shows have also their problems, difficulties, but it is never a whining fiesta.

Either way, anything will be added in the game will end up being a pew pew party.
    I don't recall seeing anyone cry unrealisticly.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    They did what they could with the 60's technology. We are in 2020, I expect something more interesting than everything seen already in Picard or discovery. Nothing is new, nothing is spectacular; nothing is an excitement for the imagination.
    Star Trek is like Star Wars (movies), it is always the same content wrapped in a package just different enough to give the illusion. And these two universes become more and more filled with whining. Disney influence?
    Exploration was a plot device used in TOS and ENT to get the crew on a ship and meeting aliens.

indeed.

I know, and in my point of view, the current status of humanity represented in the modern star trek tv shows is really sad and not realistic. The weakness is overrepresented, a lot of characters spend their time crying, whining, complaining; it's hopeless. I hated Soji's choice, for example.

the screenwriters of the star trek shows and even the sto devs should take a look at the characters of these tv shows: the expanse, westworld, stranger things, farscape (old one), etc . The characters of these shows have also their problems, difficulties, but it is never a whining fiesta.

Either way, anything will be added in the game will end up being a pew pew party.

We have lacrimal glands and lamenting is good for the soul.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited March 2020
    sthe91 wrote: »

indeed.

How do you know that it is not realistic? There were sad things in ENT, TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and now in DSC and PIC. We have lacrimal glands as human beings and everyone reacts differently to situations. I do not understand the problem you have. I just do not see Star Trek through your glasses, to me it is consistent (even with continuity problems) and is being added to. This is one of the reasons I do not agree with Brent Justice and others like him. Though I still like the episodic format versus the narrative one.
    edited March 2020
    sthe91 wrote: »

indeed.

Delete my first post please. I goofed.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    It was probably that it even ended up having to be a choice. Opening the Portal should have been dismissed immediately out of hand. Not the actual choice she made.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • marojalmmarojalm Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I would like to see the introduction of an Evil Synth Race lead by Sutra, and a set of missions around that story. Maybe introduce a playable Soji or a BO Soji to help in the combat against Sutra.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    ltminns wrote: »
    It was probably that it even ended up having to be a choice. Opening the Portal should have been dismissed immediately out of hand. Not the actual choice she made.
    When Maddox and Soong sent Soji and her sister out into the galaxy, they deliberately concealed her true nature from her, meaning her experience with organics at that point involved lies and treachery. From the moment she rediscovered her synthetic self, organics were trying to kill her. Even the Federation, vaunted for its acceptance of everything from Human to Horta, had denied the legality of her very existence. Only the not-Reapers had given a solid promise of helping her and her kind to survive - sure, at the cost of all organic life, but that's exactly what she was in danger from.

The fact that Picard was able to change her mind with a single speech and action was the truly remarkable bit.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    In fairness that single speach and action amounted to "Please reconsider, I have faith in you and will die for you" and we know that wasn't an idle statement. he meant it
    > @jonsills said:
    > (Quote)
    > When Maddox and Soong sent Soji and her sister out into the galaxy, they deliberately concealed her true nature from her, meaning her experience with organics at that point involved lies and treachery. From the moment she rediscovered her synthetic self, organics were trying to kill her. Even the Federation, vaunted for its acceptance of everything from Human to Horta, had denied the legality of her very existence. Only the not-Reapers had given a solid promise of helping her and her kind to survive - sure, at the cost of all organic life, but that's exactly what she was in danger from.
    >
    > The fact that Picard was able to change her mind with a single speech and action was the truly remarkable bit.

Also people forget they found out that a Romulan Fleet was on the way to wipe out the synthetics.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • captainrc1captainrc1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Who's to say that Data is "permadead"? If there's anything that Star Trek, comic books, and sci-fi in general have taught us, is that there is no such thing. I can think of two ways off the top of my head that Data can be brought back:

1) Q (obviously)

Q can recreate Data right down to his last positronic circuit and last memory engram if he so desired. However, since he also transcends time, he doesn't really need to, since he can also simply do it the same way of my second example...

2) Agent Daniels

Daniels has a habit of yanking Starfleet officers from the past the very second before their historical "deaths" and recruit them as Temporal Agents. Who's to say he couldn't have done the same for Data, and pulled him off of the Scimitar the second before the thalaron matrix blew up in his face? It could certainly explain why Data makes an appearance in the end of Survivor to tell Sela about Tasha Yar, because Daniels could have been the one to arrange it.
    zv66x44hmssm.jpg
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @captainrc1 said:
    > Who's to say that Data is "permadead"? If there's anything that Star Trek, comic books, and sci-fi in general have taught us, is that there is no such thing.

While there are always outs thanks to various shenanigoats, sometimes that can cheapen a story that was told in my opinion.

Plus Brent Spiner wants Data to be dead dead and I think the game has evolved beyond the point of showing canon characters from the back and unvoiced like that.

It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for a cop out for a cheap and not so obvious cameo. Let's be real, that could be anyone talking to Sela in that scene.
    I never pieced it together that it was supposed to be Data talking to Sela at the end of that mission.
    Your pain runs deep.
This discussion has been closed.