test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Only getting 12k dps on this build (kinda lost Lol)

captainjohnalphacaptainjohnalpha Member Posts: 31 Arc User
So I have the Odyssey tactical T6, I use Anti-proton beam arrays and yes I found out that AP is now obsolete and Disruptors and Phasers are edging them out now but I invested a ton into this build and into the beam arrays, like I'm talking about upgrades to get Mk XV Epic, re-engineering's to get critDx4 mod and Epic locators [AP].

So anyway I downloaded the STO combat meter from official Dps channel website. I ran a the first patrol on the patrol list in the PVE tab (One with Madren) where it spawns a good amount. So when I looked at how much DPS I was dealing, (Now to add I thought I would be at least be dealing 20k-30k not a huge amount but to get by. My Crit chance is 20% and Crit Sev is 97% again not an impressive amount but its ok, iv'e seen players w/ 50 crit chance and 300 crit sev) turns out I was dealing 12k...Like...HUH!? Lmao

So does anyone know how to get around 90k to 100k dps? I know its a huuuge jump from 12k to 100k dps but I'm obviously missing a lot of things.

Here's my current build. Its not 100% finished, I still have to upgrade a bit more on aft Beams, consoles and my Defl, Eng, Wrp and Shield. Also I have the Romulan B.O from fleet embassy w/the crits and planning to get one more. I know there are a couple of consoles from the Lobi store that increase Crits but dont really want to spend Lobi on them, maybe as a last resort if I have no choice.

https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/edebba71201fdfdde0e4f14e8f578684

I know its faaar from perfect but always looking to improve so any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    First of all.. when people talk about 'doing 30k' or whatever your target range is.. that test is done in the Infected Conduit Advanced map. DPS does not translate 1:1 on each map.. so comparing your DPS on a patrol to DPS parsed on ISA is not an accurate comparison. If you really want to see where you are, then you should do your parse on ISA.

That being said, the biggest problem I see with your build is you have nothing for cooldown reduction so you're waiting a long time to be able to use your abilities again. The easiest and most common way to address is with an Auxiliary to Battery build. In this style build, you slot 3 'Recharge Variant' Technician duty officers and slotting 2 copies of Auxiliary to Battery. What this does is, everytime you click on Auxiliary to Battery it boosts 3 of your power levels (Weapons, Engines, and Shields) while taking your Auxiliary power to 0 temporarily. This helps you by making sure you have the power you need, but with the Technicians slotted it also recduces the cooldown time on all your bridge officer abilities. So you are getting power and cooldown from this setup.. it's very efficient and you can get up to Blue Quality Technicians for fairly cheap (Green will do in a pinch.)

For an example of what this would look like, here is my Phaser Aux2Bat Odyssey build. Now, obviously.. this won't translate 1:1 since it's a phaser build, but it gives you an idea of how my bridge officer layout is set up and while there is some work to do on your equipment.. I think your Boff Situation is your biggest issue. As with all my builds, I need to point out.. this is just how I do things, this is not meant to indicate a 'right' or 'correct' way to build the ship.. it's provided as an example only. Take as much or as little from it as you see fit.

That being said, first suggestion.. get that KCB out of your build right away.. that thing is just.. awful. Replace it with another beam and remove the Reinforced Armaments console as well. There is little point to using that if you are not getting the 2pc bonus, maybe replace that with something like the Polymorphic Probe Array from the exchange. Either that or the console from the Khittomer Alliance ship from the last event if you have that.. it boosts AP damage.

There are other changes we should look at as well, but your first priority should be altering your bridge officer layout and finding a way to reduce your cooldowns.. that will give you the biggest boost.

Hope some of that is helpful to you.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Personally I would suggest something a bit more balanced. On the main Tactical I'd suggest switching to Tac Team 1, FAW 2, and AP Beta 1. Turn the Lt. Commander Universal/Command to Tac with maybe Kemocite 1 if you can afford it, Torp Spread 2, and maybe a Command ability Suppression Barrage. Switch the Ensign Universal to Science and put in Polarize Hull 1. The Lt Sci I'd say Sci Team 1 and Hazard Emitters 2. For the Engie, I'd suggest Engie Team 1, Aux2Structural, and Reverse Shield Polarity.

I'd suggest Emergency to Weapons as well, but to get the most out of that you'd need another trait from the Arbiter, Emergency Weapon Cycle.

I admit I build more balanced, but it does give a pretty decent foundation to work off of IMO. Main thing I see is that you got a bunch of abilities that share a cooldown, and a few duplicates. Without knowing what other starship traits you have access too... I'd lean more towards the balanced build as a base and work from there. Two traits I would suggest looking into at some point would be Emergency Weapon Cycle and Reciprocity.

Getting 12k in Infected with this, I'd say is about par. For most content you really want to hit at least around 10k so you're already hitting that. But there is room for improvement in terms of synergizing abilities.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Personally I would suggest something a bit more balanced. On the main Tactical I'd suggest switching to Tac Team 1, FAW 2, and AP Beta 1.

Attack Pattern Beta 1 is a Lieutenant ability, ATB2 is the LTC. You really don't want to take anything for FAW other then FAW III if you can at all avoid it. The accuracy penalty at rank II is pretty harsh, it's usable if you can compensate but really should be avoided. Tac Team 1, ATB1, BFAW III is a much more dependable layout.

Always take Rank III of FAW if you can. :wink:
  • captainjohnalphacaptainjohnalpha Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    First of all.. when people talk about 'doing 30k' or whatever your target range is.. that test is done in the Infected Conduit Advanced map. DPS does not translate 1:1 on each map.. so comparing your DPS on a patrol to DPS parsed on ISA is not an accurate comparison. If you really want to see where you are, then you should do your parse on ISA.

That being said, the biggest problem I see with your build is you have nothing for cooldown reduction so you're waiting a long time to be able to use your abilities again. The easiest and most common way to address is with an Auxiliary to Battery build. In this style build, you slot 3 'Recharge Variant' Technician duty officers and slotting 2 copies of Auxiliary to Battery. What this does is, everytime you click on Auxiliary to Battery it boosts 3 of your power levels (Weapons, Engines, and Shields) while taking your Auxiliary power to 0 temporarily. This helps you by making sure you have the power you need, but with the Technicians slotted it also recduces the cooldown time on all your bridge officer abilities. So you are getting power and cooldown from this setup.. it's very efficient and you can get up to Blue Quality Technicians for fairly cheap (Green will do in a pinch.)

For an example of what this would look like, here is my Phaser Aux2Bat Odyssey build. Now, obviously.. this won't translate 1:1 since it's a phaser build, but it gives you an idea of how my bridge officer layout is set up and while there is some work to do on your equipment.. I think your Boff Situation is your biggest issue. As with all my builds, I need to point out.. this is just how I do things, this is not meant to indicate a 'right' or 'correct' way to build the ship.. it's provided as an example only. Take as much or as little from it as you see fit.

That being said, first suggestion.. get that KCB out of your build right away.. that thing is just.. awful. Replace it with another beam and remove the Reinforced Armaments console as well. There is little point to using that if you are not getting the 2pc bonus, maybe replace that with something like the Polymorphic Probe Array from the exchange. Either that or the console from the Khittomer Alliance ship from the last event if you have that.. it boosts AP damage.

There are other changes we should look at as well, but your first priority should be altering your bridge officer layout and finding a way to reduce your cooldowns.. that will give you the biggest boost.

Hope some of that is helpful to you.

Will definitely implement, thank you! I too thought my boff system needs a lot of improvement and will definetly get rid of my KCB and Reinforced armaments console aswell, I've never really seen any benefit in them but didn't know what else to put haha. I also realized I need to do something about my doff system as well, so will for sure take a look.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    You should be doing WAY more than that in that mission with that ship...so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the majority of the issue is not the items but your piloting. While your gear can do with a bit of fine tuning...like ditching the borg 2 peice...that isn't where the problem with this build is.

The problem is your boff abilities are just awful. You need global cooldown...which for this ship should be an A2B build. You have zilch invested into science so this is ideal...also you have zilch invested into science and you toss your LTC uni into science?!? You need 2 slots for A2B of any level. You want EptW 3...period. You should FAW or BO 3 as well. You have ONE torp and you waste your highest tact slot on boosting that and not your other 6 weapons?!? What traits are you running? Basically nothing about your boff abilities actually works in conjunction with the items you have. Who know what your traits are doing. If you are attempting to keep your aux up for that ONE console...don't. Sacrificing EVERYTHING that A2B gives you for ONE console is a fool's errand.

Awesome! Thanks so much! Putting Lt.cmdr uni into Tactical does make way more sense, so will definitely do that. Looking at my Tac now and seeing Trop sprd3 does look silly haha. Will also get higher beam and weapon abilities too.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Personally I would suggest something a bit more balanced. On the main Tactical I'd suggest switching to Tac Team 1, FAW 2, and AP Beta 1. Turn the Lt. Commander Universal/Command to Tac with maybe Kemocite 1 if you can afford it, Torp Spread 2, and maybe a Command ability Suppression Barrage. Switch the Ensign Universal to Science and put in Polarize Hull 1. The Lt Sci I'd say Sci Team 1 and Hazard Emitters 2. For the Engie, I'd suggest Engie Team 1, Aux2Structural, and Reverse Shield Polarity.

I'd suggest Emergency to Weapons as well, but to get the most out of that you'd need another trait from the Arbiter, Emergency Weapon Cycle.

I admit I build more balanced, but it does give a pretty decent foundation to work off of IMO. Main thing I see is that you got a bunch of abilities that share a cooldown, and a few duplicates. Without knowing what other starship traits you have access too... I'd lean more towards the balanced build as a base and work from there. Two traits I would suggest looking into at some point would be Emergency Weapon Cycle and Reciprocity.

Getting 12k in Infected with this, I'd say is about par. For most content you really want to hit at least around 10k so you're already hitting that. But there is room for improvement in terms of synergizing abilities.

Yes, will look into the traits and Boffs aswell. Thanks!!
    Thank you all for taking the time out to answer my questions! This was very helpful and will definitely take all of your advice. I love Star trek and Star trek online I think its really one of the greatest games out there! Especially for people who love the franchise or like MMO RPG in general. Hope everyone has a great day and please stay safe during this uncertain time.

Live long and Prosper.
    If you have any more questions or need more help, please feel free to ask. :smile:
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Attack Pattern Beta 1 is a Lieutenant ability, ATB2 is the LTC.

Must have been mixing Beta and Omega. It was late and I still had Valkyria Chronicles on the brain.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited March 2020
    I took the liberty of doing a revamp on your posted build for AP. Keep in mind, I don't know what you have access too budget wise, traits wise.. or items from any previous events or other ships.. so this is very general.

The new build looks something like this.

The Warp core is blank because it's not available on STO Academy for some reason, but the Core should be the Warp Core from the Discovery Reputation Set. This gives you a nice 2pc bonus with the shield that's also from that set and will give you some added durability. The Devices.. I just threw in what I like.. you can do whatever you want there. The blank slot I use the Kobayashi Maru Transponder. The other console slot that's blank, I just don't know what you have.. my top recommendation there would be the Adaptive Emergency Systems console from the Sojourner if you have that ship. Otherwise, something like the Voth Phase Decoy for the boost to AP or the Alligned Antiproton Shielding console from the Khitomer Alliance Battlecruiser.

Traits and stuff I mostly left blank, I just don't know what you have or what your budget is.

Bridge Officers, I changed it to an Aux2Bat setup that gives you FAW Rank 3 and both Emergency Power to Weapons and Shields both at Rank 3. I swapped out Aux2Sif for Reverse Shield Polarity because it's a great escape power. When used it basically makes you nearly invulnurable for a short period of time. The time is very short, but you can increase it by slotting a Reverse Shield Polarity variant of the Fabrication Engineer. A word of warning here, to buy a Purple Fabrication Engineer is rather expensive, go with a Blue Quality if you can afford it.. otherwise a green will do for now. You slot that with your 3 Technicians leaving you one space open. I like to use a Conn Officer here to reduce the time on Evasive Maneuvers, but this one is up to you.

The way this works in combat is this..

You fly in and you activate your buffs.. Kemocite, Attack Pattern Beta, Tactical Team, Emergency Power to Weapons, Beam: Fire At Will. This opens fire with all your buffs and everything is now on cooldown. Once you fired all of them, you hit your first copy of Aux2Bat and this will reduce those cooldowns. You're going to alternate between Emergency Power to Weapons and Emergency Power to Shields. As soon as Emergency Power to Shields comes off cooldown, fire that, then weapons, then shields.. back and forth.

If you're getting beat up bad, hit Reverse Shield Polarity to save yourself and use Evasive Maneuvers to get out of harms way. You can use your Science Team to boost your shields when needed and the Hazard Emitters to clear any debuffs. Engineering Team will heal your hull and also fixes any disabled subsystems.

You might have some abilities come off cooldown a little faster then others, it's best to try and hold a few seconds to renew your entire rotation. As soon as you can, again.. fire off your offensive chain.. then hit Aux2Bat to reduce the cooldowns. The trick is you want to use A2B last so that you can get all the cooldowns reduced at once. You basically just fly in circles and fire your buffs while alternating between Power to Weapons and Shields. It's a basic set up, it's not very tricky or elaborate.. but it clears maps in a hurry. :wink:
    westmetals wrote: »
    Looking at that original build... one thing I would instantly point out is the Flagship Tactical Computer console. It is universal and does not need to be in a Tactical slot. You could have a 4th Tactical console there instead, while keeping the FTC by placing it in a Science or Engineering slot, if desired.

I would also re-eng your beam weapons' epic mods from Ac/Dm to CrtD/Dm.

As for boosting your AP Damage, there are actually four universal consoles available.... Crystalline Absorption Matrix, Voth Phase Decoy, Polymorphic Probe Array, plus the one from the Alliance Battlecruiser (I forget the name).

The CAM and Voth Phase Decoy are both old event rewards & are also available in Phoenix store. PPA is lockbox/exchange.

Any (or all) of these can be slotted anywhere, though I would advise not using them in Tactical slots (as they are not as good as the Tactical-only AP consoles).

Also... do you have space traits on your BOFFs? Particularly Superior Romulan Operative (you can buy tac ones at the Fleet Embassy BOFF vendor if you are non-Romulan), which gives crit stats.... or Engineered Soldier (Space) if you have the Gamma expansion pack (half-strength SRO plus a weapon only damage bonus, only comes on the three CStore Jem'Hadar Vanguard officers; the Sci and Eng ones are the best options in their seats for non-Romulan captains).

Regarding the KCB - if you would like to replace it with a 360-degree weapon, you could use a crafted AP omni, the Ancient AP omni (from "Sphere of Influence"), or even... both! I think there's also a reputation one or two (which would conflict with the Ancient as they are also set pieces).

Thanks! Will try out those consoles and re rolling the beams to that mod, I do have the romulan bof and it is a great bof becuase of that trait, Im also planning to get another one too.
    edited March 2020
    I took the liberty of doing a revamp on your posted build for AP. Keep in mind, I don't know what you have access too budget wise, traits wise.. or items from any previous events or other ships.. so this is very general.

I have every thing but the Def, Engine, Warp and Shield but the build works pretty well, Thanks!!
    edited March 2020
    Thanks everyone!:)
    Happy to help.. good luck with everything! :smiley:
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    As mentioned earlier, the build is one part of your DPS. Getting the BOff powers/ship/space traits/specializations into a nice mix that supports the build is the second part.

The final part, as someone mentioned previously, is your piloting. Making sure you trigger the powers in an effective pattern, flying at a decent range from targets, orbiting/targeting in a way that allows the maximum weapons to come to bear on target, focusing targets down instead of frequent target switching (which allows non-destroyed targets time to regen shields), stuff like that.

Once you apply some of the tips people have mentioned above and practiced your piloting a bit for maximum destructiveness, let us know how much difference it makes in the DPS meter. I'm not overly concerned about DPS myself (whatever gets the job done is good for me), but it's always nice to see the 'Before' and 'After' comparisons. :)
    Piloting is the main reason I no longer fly the Odyssey.. I have a real hard time controlling a ship with that poor of an Inertia Rating. I constantly find myself doing circles much wider then what I intend and staying too far from opponents.. often drifting out of combat range without even intending to. I have always found the Odyssey a difficult ship to control.

What's funny is, the Romulan Scimitar has the exact same stats as far as maneuverability and I have almost no problem with that ship.. probably because I make it a 'front facing' build so the piloting is much different then the broad side approach of the Odyssey. Of all the ships I own, the Odyssey is probably the hardest for me to fly.. I'm just terrible with it. 30 Inertia Rating is just.. brutal. Even a 10 point improvement like on the Vengeance makes all the difference for me.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    Piloting is the main reason I no longer fly the Odyssey.. I have a real hard time controlling a ship with that poor of an Inertia Rating. I constantly find myself doing circles much wider then what I intend and staying too far from opponents.. often drifting out of combat range without even intending to. I have always found the Odyssey a difficult ship to control.

What's funny is, the Romulan Scimitar has the exact same stats as far as maneuverability and I have almost no problem with that ship.. probably because I make it a 'front facing' build so the piloting is much different then the broad side approach of the Odyssey. Of all the ships I own, the Odyssey is probably the hardest for me to fly.. I'm just terrible with it. 30 Inertia Rating is just.. brutal. Even a 10 point improvement like on the Vengeance makes all the difference for me.

Lol, I have it exactly the opposite...Odyssey flyes fine (-ish), while Scimitar slides around uncontrollably. However I have ditched the traits that require going full throttle. And play the Scimitar at quarter to half speed, which works for me now.
    Go pro or go home
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »

Lol, I have it exactly the opposite...Odyssey flyes fine (-ish), while Scimitar slides around uncontrollably. However I have ditched the traits that require going full throttle. And play the Scimitar at quarter to half speed, which works for me now.

For me fast and nimble ships are all over the place but slow ships that don't turn on a dime I find rather easy to control and I generally get them to go where I want them even some infamous ones like the GCS (that had its turn rate buffed twice IIRC and it's still one the worst in game).

The Warp core is blank because it's not available on STO Academy for some reason, but the Core should be the Warp Core from the Discovery Reputation Set. This gives you a nice 2pc bonus with the shield that's also from that set and will give you some added durability. The Devices.. I just threw in what I like.. you can do whatever you want there. The blank slot I use the Kobayashi Maru Transponder. The other console slot that's blank, I just don't know what you have.. my top recommendation there would be the Adaptive Emergency Systems console from the Sojourner if you have that ship. Otherwise, something like the Voth Phase Decoy for the boost to AP or the Alligned Antiproton Shielding console from the Khitomer Alliance Battlecruiser.

Traits and stuff I mostly left blank, I just don't know what you have or what your budget is.

Bridge Officers, I changed it to an Aux2Bat setup that gives you FAW Rank 3 and both Emergency Power to Weapons and Shields both at Rank 3. I swapped out Aux2Sif for Reverse Shield Polarity because it's a great escape power. When used it basically makes you nearly invulnurable for a short period of time. The time is very short, but you can increase it by slotting a Reverse Shield Polarity variant of the Fabrication Engineer. A word of warning here, to buy a Purple Fabrication Engineer is rather expensive, go with a Blue Quality if you can afford it.. otherwise a green will do for now. You slot that with your 3 Technicians leaving you one space open. I like to use a Conn Officer here to reduce the time on Evasive Maneuvers, but this one is up to you.

You fly in and you activate your buffs.. Kemocite, Attack Pattern Beta, Tactical Team, Emergency Power to Weapons, Beam: Fire At Will. This opens fire with all your buffs and everything is now on cooldown. Once you fired all of them, you hit your first copy of Aux2Bat and this will reduce those cooldowns. You're going to alternate between Emergency Power to Weapons and Emergency Power to Shields. As soon as Emergency Power to Shields comes off cooldown, fire that, then weapons, then shields.. back and forth.

If you're getting beat up bad, hit Reverse Shield Polarity to save yourself and use Evasive Maneuvers to get out of harms way. You can use your Science Team to boost your shields when needed and the Hazard Emitters to clear any debuffs. Engineering Team will heal your hull and also fixes any disabled subsystems.

You might have some abilities come off cooldown a little faster then others, it's best to try and hold a few seconds to renew your entire rotation. As soon as you can, again.. fire off your offensive chain.. then hit Aux2Bat to reduce the cooldowns. The trick is you want to use A2B last so that you can get all the cooldowns reduced at once. You basically just fly in circles and fire your buffs while alternating between Power to Weapons and Shields. It's a basic set up, it's not very tricky or elaborate.. but it clears maps in a hurry. :wink:
    Awesome! Will definitely try it out, also for sure will look at the doffs and reverse shield is a pretty great power as well It

Awesome! Will definitely try it out, also for sure will look at the doffs and reverse shield is a pretty great power as well It
This discussion has been closed.