test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Idea for a new device

dernudeljungedernudeljunge Member Posts: 7 Arc User
So, this is in kinda the same vein as the Subspace Party Nullifier. Basically, when carried/activated/whatever in a social/non-combat zone, this would render all non-combat pets, reputation flourishes and emotes invisible as well as inaudible. So, if you have one, the only thing you can see and hear other players doing is basic movement and activating consoles such as the bank at DS9. Call it the "Curmudgeon's Controller."
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    It could also have a very long duration, at least 6 minutes or perhaps even an hour.
  • dernudeljungedernudeljunge Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    It could also have a very long duration, at least 6 minutes or perhaps even an hour.

I was thinking more of "permanent". I mean, the Subspace Party Nullifier just has to be in your inventory, no activation required.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User

I was thinking more of "permanent". I mean, the Subspace Party Nullifier just has to be in your inventory, no activation required.

The party nullifier works from your personal bank.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Ah, being forced to DANCE! hasn't annoyed me enough to look up where to buy them.

I haven't looked at the GPL store in years and I'd forgotten they were a GPL consumable. The only thing I use my mountains of GPL for are the Dabo personal endeavors.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    OP: I'm assuming that other players space barbie is ruining your immersion/RP. Unfortunately for you, there's no profit for Cryptic in your idea. It would be a total waste of time and money for them to develop your device.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    OP: I'm assuming that other players space barbie is ruining your immersion/RP. Unfortunately for you, there's no profit for Cryptic in your idea. It would be a total waste of time and money for them to develop your device.

Yeah the only way I could see this being implimented at all would be if the invisibility was personal (aka the person with the device wouldn't see those but everyone else would).
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I blame Admiral Quinn. He should take back control of ESD and have his Security deal with these offenders. Instead he just sits in his office, trying to foist the same bloody Missions on you all the time, and lets some Diplomatic types congregate in a corner and chat it up. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns

Lolz, no. It has nothing to do with immersion/rp. I'm not one of those folks. The main issue for me, personally, is the noise that some of the non-combat pets generate. When you're in a social zone for a while and someone has their DOT-7 drone sitting there just spinning it's hands around, or a mugato screeching for 5+ minutes for no reason, it can be very grating. The other stuff was just because "Why not?", but the main issue is the noise. Hell, I even turned the volume on NPC voices all the way down so I don't have to hear Holo-Leeta at DS9 every 10 seconds. It makes cutscenes a little more bland, but it's worth it.
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User

Same with the party nullifier.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited March 2020
    The main issue for me, personally, is the noise that some of the non-combat pets generate. When you're in a social zone for a while and someone has their DOT-7 drone sitting there just spinning it's hands around, or a mugato screeching for 5+ minutes for no reason, it can be very grating.

The DOT-7 I can kinda understand since its more consistant. Same with the Snoconian. Honestly don't mind the Mugato. Although there are a few other already available ways to get around those if they're in social zones. Could either go to another instance (probably a less popualted one), or hang out at a less popular social hub. Right now I think the most likely places to run into that is ESD, K-7, and DS9. K-7 not quite as much but it is a more populated hub than say Starbase 39.

While it is slightly less convenient, it is something that can be done without having to try and figure out a more intensive client side device blocker than the already existing Nullifier that just stops you from dancing when someone pops a disco ball. A device that basically says "do not dance when in the presence of a Disco Ball" is different from trying to block non-combat pets. Coding wise its probably a lot more complex. While I'm no coder, I can understand how certain things can appear simple, but aren't under the hood.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Could either go to another instance.

Yep, do that REGULARLY.
    Coding wise its probably a lot more complex. While I'm no coder, I can understand how certain things can appear simple, but aren't under the hood.

I can dig that. At this point, I'd settle for a volume slider that will let us specifically mute non-combat pets, at least.

The main issue for me, personally, is the noise that some of the non-combat pets generate. When you're in a social zone for a while and someone has their DOT-7 drone sitting there just spinning it's hands around, or a mugato screeching for 5+ minutes for no reason, it can be very grating.

The DOT-7 I can kinda understand since its more consistant. Same with the Snoconian. Honestly don't mind the Mugato. Although there are a few other already available ways to get around those if they're in social zones. Could either go to another instance (probably a less popualted one), or hang out at a less popular social hub. Right now I think the most likely places to run into that is ESD, K-7, and DS9. K-7 not quite as much but it is a more populated hub than say Starbase 39.

While it is slightly less convenient, it is something that can be done without having to try and figure out a more intensive client side device blocker than the already existing Nullifier that just stops you from dancing when someone pops a disco ball. A device that basically says "do not dance when in the presence of a Disco Ball" is different from trying to block non-combat pets. Coding wise its probably a lot more complex. While I'm no coder, I can understand how certain things can appear simple, but aren't under the hood.
    the way I understood this there's essentially 2 ways to do it (mind you I'm no coder either), either the device would send a signal to the system to despawn all objects the player doesn't want to see and to disable the skills spawning those or alternatively they could move the player into his personal mini-instance linked to the actual instance and make it so that those objects aren't shown in this mini-instance, this is sort of how cloaks work in PvP, the player in question is moved to his own mini-instance where he can see and interact with everything in the original instance but doesn't exist there as an object. It's actually a bit more complex then that but that's the cliff notes version.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    the way I understood this there's essentially 2 ways to do it (mind you I'm no coder either), either the device would send a signal to the system to despawn all objects the player doesn't want to see and to disable the skills spawning those or alternatively they could move the player into his personal mini-instance linked to the actual instance and make it so that those objects aren't shown in this mini-instance, this is sort of how cloaks work in PvP, the player in question is moved to his own mini-instance where he can see and interact with everything in the original instance but doesn't exist there as an object. It's actually a bit more complex then that but that's the cliff notes version.

Or they could just tell your computer to not render specific objects actions, maybe? But seriously, though, just give me a volume slider for pets. Flourishes, too, if you're feeling frisky, but I would sell my mother to Orion slavers for the volume slider for pets.

• nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    fist thing I do when i enter an instance is change to the lowest population one I can find
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    spiritborn wrote: »

Or they could just tell your computer to not render specific objects actions, maybe? But seriously, though, just give me a volume slider for pets. Flourishes, too, if you're feeling frisky, but I would sell my mother to Orion slavers for the volume slider for pets.
    I'm going for options that effect only the player who doesn't want them, so phasing is really the only option as the server needs to "know" where certain things so what you said is literally the same thing I said I just used more detail, since phasing does exactly that, renders and not renders certain things, however since the server (and thus your client) still needs to know those things to function properly it you can't do that client side without employing phasing.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

Lolz, no. It has nothing to do with immersion/rp. I'm not one of those folks. The main issue for me, personally, is the noise that some of the non-combat pets generate. When you're in a social zone for a while and someone has their DOT-7 drone sitting there just spinning it's hands around, or a mugato screeching for 5+ minutes for no reason, it can be very grating. The other stuff was just because "Why not?", but the main issue is the noise. Hell, I even turned the volume on NPC voices all the way down so I don't have to hear Holo-Leeta at DS9 every 10 seconds. It makes cutscenes a little more bland, but it's worth it.

Unfortunately for you, my blunt answer still applies. It's simply not worth it to Cryptic to worry about this. From both a time and money perspective.
    mneme0 wrote: »

Same with the party nullifier.
    Nope. Your comparison is nonsense. The nullifier merely prevents your character from doing a single action: dancing. It doesn't block out any of the hundreds or thousands of visuals and sounds created by other players. The programming difference between the subspace nullfier and the OP's idea are so vastly different that they're not even in the same ballpark.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    With autofire now in play.

All we need are the following two devices:

Console - Universal - Auto-objective Completion Matrix

Kit Module - Universal - Auto-objective Completion Control Module.

Mm5NeXy.gif
This discussion has been closed.