test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Purchase Tier 1 - Tier 4 Ships with Dilithium!

Comments

• inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,929 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    Your last free ship you get from Admiral Quinn lets you choose a C-store ship. So yeah, it only unlocks only for that toon. Or else you could do many alts and unlock 'all' the T5 ships.
    Not really, you only get a choice of 3 ships with that token.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • therealbrembotherealbrembo Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    If you really wanted this to matter, you could have made these ships scaling to the next tier cap. So a Tier 4 ship would scale up to a 5, giving more players a reason to spend on them and giving more selection. Because honestly there's not much to get once you make it to Lt Gen/Brig Gen but a bunch of Zen ships. And I really don't need to be fleeced more than I have been.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    PC Captains - due to a technical issue, tomorrow's patch will not change Tier 1 - Tier 4 ship prices to be in dilithium, but will still remove those ships from the C-store if you have not purchased them. We're working hard on a fix and will have more information soon.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    PC Captains - due to a technical issue, tomorrow's patch will not change Tier 1 - Tier 4 ship prices to be in dilithium, but will still remove those ships from the C-store if you have not purchased them. We're working hard on a fix and will have more information soon.

Why not just delay removal then? Gives everyone a chance to buy what they don't already have if they choose to.
    Maybe with a ship sale in the meantime... :wink:
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Wait.. so you know the patch won't work and you're going to implement it anyway?

I know this sounds crazy.. but why not wait until something works before putting it live? Are you guys just that anxious to make sure people lose the option to buy account wide? What am I missing here?
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    After other things that have happened on this game in the last 2 yrs what is happening tomorrow is no surprise to me at all. I wish it was. Dissapointing :(
  • texasredhawk#6620 texasredhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    It's unfortunate that the T1-4 ZEN store removal is going out tomorrow. I don't get my paycheck until the third, and given local food prices lately I don't have any spending money left over for this month, but I'd been hoping to try to grab some of the ships I don't have as account unlocks before the patch went through. Guess I'll spend my money on something else, then.
    edited March 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk

Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,697 Community Moderator
    Guy's knock it off with the flamethrowers, there's no need for it.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    It doesn't help that the patch notes just showed up and this is LITERALLY only about the reducing the dil price of the already existing ships.

So unless there are unmentioned changes -in that case, why are they?-, without the ships going from Zen to Dil, this update could be post-poned because it brings absolutely nothing.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    What I don't get is why people have a pathological need to unlock literally everything for every character. When I build alts I build them to be unique. Of the 14 alts I switch between each has a couple of ships and a unique build and a set of gear or unlocks that makes them different than the other choices.

Never have I sat there going "I wish I could do this one time and unlock it for all 13 man am I lazy and greedy too."

Sounds like people need to step back and evaluate if they really NEED a thing on all of their characters and if so, WHY? Are you building alts to try out new builds and gear combos to have fun? Or are you just using them to farm and collect all the things over and over again?

I have no problem if the T3 MookBasher Garbage Barge becomes a single-point unlock, because I don't need 13 of them. Odds are I've got the Photonic Compactor console, built a character to use it in conjunction with some other gear and unlocks, then moved on to something else. I don't need a Photonic Compactor console on each of my 13 character because... I just don't.

Problem isn't Cryptic this time, it's the player-base and it's obsession with having all the things across far too many characters.
  • smr12smr12 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    it could be just me, but putting a broken patch live seems kinda stupid to me.
    Until Cryptic fixes the bugs and the huge lag problem, i refuse to give them a single cent. A company that charges hundreds of dollars but can't even give a stable bugfree game (or at least doesn't have bugs that are years and years old), doesn't deserve my money.
    Also when coming back after 2 years not playing STO, spending $30 and getting hit immediately with a 7 day account probation.
    This shows very little respect from cryptic towards their playerbase and, this is another reason to not spend any single cent on this game.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

Wait.. so you know the patch won't work and you're going to implement it anyway?

I know this sounds crazy.. but why not wait until something works before putting it live? Are you guys just that anxious to make sure people lose the option to buy account wide? What am I missing here?

I agree, lol, what's the rush to neuter T1-4 ship account wide unlocks? If anything Cryptic could've been generous & offered players 1 last ship sale before this new change occurred for any that desire account wide unlock.

"but why not wait until something works before putting it live?" A very valid question & perhaps too logical. There definitely seems to be an agenda marching forward with haste.

STO just keeps constricting & constricting options.

• burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Honestly...I don't mind this - it means I can now (if I choose to) get the set parts/consoles/skin I've been missing but wanted (after all, who wants to fork out for a ship you can never fly as is) at a much lower cost (such as the t1 to 4 temporal ships - btw cryptic, how about unlocking the t1 to 4 consoles of all factions as I'd love some of my kdf only consoles on fed and vica versa)

If anything, I'd like an option to buy the account bound consoles seperately, but I digress

Admittedly its going to be painful for new admirality farmers as now the cost exponentially rises but to be honest losing the t1 to 4 ships is not that big of a deal due to their poor admirality card values in my opinion unless you use them for failure runs
    themarie wrote: »
    What I don't get is why people have a pathological need to unlock literally everything for every character. When I build alts I build them to be unique.

What I don't get is why people can't just play their own way without judging how others play. It's great that you make unique alts.. I do the same thing.. but if someone wants to do things differently, then they should be able to.
    coldnapalm wrote: »

I have 5 alien Romulan science captains...who all look the same.

Yeah I make alts to collect things repeatedly...I have a problem.

If that's what you enjoy, then there is no problem. :wink:
    "but why not wait until something works before putting it live?"

I think that's a very fair question. Cryptic seems to have this desire to 'just get it done' rather it's right or not. We see the same thing with incorrect media releases and patches pushed to live without any testing. The only difference between this and the 'status quo' is that this time they realized it was broken before pushing it instead of after.

What makes it worse, is they're just going to do it anyway. Apparently, fixing it.. like proof reading press announcements.. is just too much work.

Not a good look.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Apparently, according to Kael, they simply... can't:

Why? No answer.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Remember that everyone is working from home.. so everithing must work like a clock, if it doesn't, wel... we have this problem. I agree they should pospone the patch, but perhaps there is some code there that need to be implemented now, and cannot wait..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    I agree: things must not be easy right now.
    I also agree that they should postpone it, though if there's something that must be go live now it's not reflected by the patch notes at all.
    I just hope things won't get jumbled too badly.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Unless it's not t5-u for dilithium, this ain't doing much on my part.
    I got plenty of t1-t5 unlocked via the Cstore for consoles (plasmonic, valdore, etc).
    The removal of those ships from the Cstore is good, in terms of making it less cluttered with stuff that's not making a sale these days.
    Hell, not even T5u would make a sale these days.

Perhaps its time to cut on the T6 prices, offering T5u with dil and providing additional tempting things to be purchased via Zen. This 30$ per ship thing is no longer a purchase-friendly business model. The legendary bundles probably sold like far too few ships to make this a good practice so enforcing small constant purchases while keeping the game free to play is the next challenge for the design and development team, especially with this pandemic panic.

The people are at home, there's money to be made.
    > @casualsto said:
    > Unless it's not t5-u for dilithium, this ain't doing much on my part.
    > I got plenty of t1-t5 unlocked via the Cstore for consoles (plasmonic, valdore, etc).
    > The removal of those ships from the Cstore is good, in terms of making it less cluttered with stuff that's not making a sale these days.
    > Hell, not even T5u would make a sale these days.
    >
    > Perhaps its time to cut on the T6 prices, offering T5u with dil and providing additional tempting things to be purchased via Zen. This 30$ per ship thing is no longer a purchase-friendly business model. The legendary bundles probably sold like far too few ships to make this a good practice so enforcing small constant purchases while keeping the game free to play is the next challenge for the design and development team, especially with this pandemic panic.
    >
    > The people are at home, there's money to be made.

why would we spend money on a broken game?
    Until Cryptic fixes the bugs and the huge lag problem, i refuse to give them a single cent. A company that charges hundreds of dollars but can't even give a stable bugfree game (or at least doesn't have bugs that are years and years old), doesn't deserve my money.
    Also when coming back after 2 years not playing STO, spending $30 and getting hit immediately with a 7 day account probation.
    This shows very little respect from cryptic towards their playerbase and, this is another reason to not spend any single cent on this game.
    > @smr12 said:
    > > @casualsto said:
    > > Unless it's not t5-u for dilithium, this ain't doing much on my part.
    > > I got plenty of t1-t5 unlocked via the Cstore for consoles (plasmonic, valdore, etc).
    > > The removal of those ships from the Cstore is good, in terms of making it less cluttered with stuff that's not making a sale these days.
    > > Hell, not even T5u would make a sale these days.
    > >
    > > Perhaps its time to cut on the T6 prices, offering T5u with dil and providing additional tempting things to be purchased via Zen. This 30$ per ship thing is no longer a purchase-friendly business model. The legendary bundles probably sold like far too few ships to make this a good practice so enforcing small constant purchases while keeping the game free to play is the next challenge for the design and development team, especially with this pandemic panic.
    > >
    > > The people are at home, there's money to be made.
    >
    > why would we spend money on a broken game?

> @smr12 said:
    > > @casualsto said:
    > > Unless it's not t5-u for dilithium, this ain't doing much on my part.
    > > I got plenty of t1-t5 unlocked via the Cstore for consoles (plasmonic, valdore, etc).
    > > The removal of those ships from the Cstore is good, in terms of making it less cluttered with stuff that's not making a sale these days.
    > > Hell, not even T5u would make a sale these days.
    > >
    > > Perhaps its time to cut on the T6 prices, offering T5u with dil and providing additional tempting things to be purchased via Zen. This 30$ per ship thing is no longer a purchase-friendly business model. The legendary bundles probably sold like far too few ships to make this a good practice so enforcing small constant purchases while keeping the game free to play is the next challenge for the design and development team, especially with this pandemic panic.
    > >
    > > The people are at home, there's money to be made.
    >
    > why would we spend money on a broken game?
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I also agree that they should postpone it, though if there's something that must be go live now it's not reflected by the patch notes at all.
    I just hope things won't get jumbled too badly.​​

Rarelly back end code ends up in the patch notes...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    smr12 wrote: »
    > @casualsto said:
    > Unless it's not t5-u for dilithium, this ain't doing much on my part.
    > I got plenty of t1-t5 unlocked via the Cstore for consoles (plasmonic, valdore, etc).
    > The removal of those ships from the Cstore is good, in terms of making it less cluttered with stuff that's not making a sale these days.
    > Hell, not even T5u would make a sale these days.
    >
    > Perhaps its time to cut on the T6 prices, offering T5u with dil and providing additional tempting things to be purchased via Zen. This 30$ per ship thing is no longer a purchase-friendly business model. The legendary bundles probably sold like far too few ships to make this a good practice so enforcing small constant purchases while keeping the game free to play is the next challenge for the design and development team, especially with this pandemic panic.
    >
    > The people are at home, there's money to be made.

why would we spend money on a broken game?

Most games have bugs.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I've seen mini-patches/hot fixes before, so there's a chance it'll be fixed before Tuesday.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    As far as these changes go, I like them and I don't. The CStore T1-4 ships are essentially useless anymore outside of Admiralty, their unique consoles/weapons and their costume parts. If the Dil price unlocked the ships account wide, I'd have no issue. I personally feel the price is too high for a character only unlock, but that's just me. I don't hate the change, but not a fan either.

I do think the free T1-4 leveling ships new price is very good and I have no issue with the pricing on those.

I do have a proposition about how to make the now former CStore ships perhaps a better deal. Keep the Dil prices as they are now, but allow players to use the ship upgrade tokens to turn them into an account unlock. There would be the benefit of a Dil sink and by tying in the upgrade tokens, you might get some players to buy the tokens to open the ships account wide.

I know for the old T5 non-mirror ships from lockboxes (like the APU Cruiser, Malon Battlecruiser, Kazon Raider...) that when you used an upgrade token on one of them to upgrade it to T5-U, if you were to get the same ship on another character/s that the ship would automatically be upgradable to T5-U for free. Would it be possible to do something similar for these former CStore ships?

I mean, when was the last time anyone bought a ship that wasn't T6, outside of perhaps buying a bundle that has them? I think at the very least using the upgrade tokens to allow a player to unlock the T1-4 ships across their account once one is bought would quell a lot of issues.

Those that only play 1 or 2 alts AND would want all the ships, cheaper to just buy individually for Dil. Those that have multiple alts and want all the ships, let them buy for Dil once, then spend roughly $5 for each ship to account unlock it. They either spend real money to buy the Zen, or play the game enough to save up the Dil to trade for 500 Zen. I think Cryptic comes out ahead and the players get to make their own choices as to how they want to do things.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    gaevsman wrote: »
    I just hope things won't get jumbled too badly.

Rarelly back end code ends up in the patch notes...
    True enough, but in this case it would be... helpful? Meaning that, since they've said that the switch from Zen to Dilithium is not being implemented but the patch notes only speak about that, it would ease people mind a bit, giving them a tangible reason to "understand" why the patch needs to happen anyway.
    As I said, I just hope things don't get jumbled too much.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

This discussion has been closed.