test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Purchase Tier 1 - Tier 4 Ships with Dilithium!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
edited March 2020 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Starting this week on PC, and April 9th on Xbox One and Playstation 4, Tier 1 - Tier 4 Ships in the Ship Requisition Store will be purchased with Dilithium instead of Zen, and at a huge discount. Find out more

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11394603

Update: PC Captains - due to a technical issue, tomorrow's patch will not change Tier 1 - Tier 4 ship prices to be in dilithium, but will still remove those ships from the C-store if you have not purchased them. We're working hard on a fix and will have more information soon.
Post edited by ambassadorkael#6946 on

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Is the dilithium an alternative, or is the account-unlock per Zen not available any more? If it's the latter, once more the game highly discourages us from creating new characters...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Is the dilithium an alternative, or is the account-unlock per Zen not available any more? If it's the latter, once more the game highly discourages us from creating new characters...
    As these ships are now dilithium purchases and under deep discount, they will now be per-character unlocks, instead of per-account. (If you’ve previously purchased the ship with Zen, it will remain reclaimable on all of your characters.)

that sounds to me like the zen purchase option is no longer available​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    And someone used resourses on T1-4 ships? I am missing something here?

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    No more C-Store Account Unlock purchases. If you want that, get that today. This new paradigm will not provide any Reclaim protection.

The following table shows the Tier C-Store Ship, the Zen equivalent @400 Dilitium per, and the maximum Characters on an Account to break even with the new prices vs the old C-Store Zen price.

T1 - 25 - 20
    T2 - 94 - 8
    T3 - 188 - 5
    T4 - 375 - 4

I have all the C-Store Zen T1-T4 ships Account Unlocked anyway so this will have no effect on me other than providing cheaper prices for those non C-Store Ships to get additional Admiralty Cards.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • smoozolasmoozola Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Whoa, why don't we step back a little there? I really feel that having both alternatives would surely fit everybody well.
    How how timeintensive would be the coding?
    Let us just say that the picard and legendary bundles were very interesting tests to see wether people would be willing to have more than one alternative ....
    I also have several other things to contend with... the lack of QOL changes to admiralty for instance whose interface could really benefit from the things the doff system had done to it.
    Filters, a quick slot option that sort of thing.
    So i do not see a lot of programmer time being wasted on this being good.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    150k Dil.. per ship.. per character for T4?

No thanks.

This is clearly meant to be another Dilithium Sink, but just like with the outfits in the Dilithum Store, the development team still fails to realize that in order for a sink to work, the item has to have value proportionate to the cost.

Let me give an example of why this is a bad deal.

I currently have 10 characters.
    A T4 ship is 150k Dilithium each.
    Current exchange rate on PC is 407 Dilithium per 1 Zen.
    150k Dilithum currently buys me 368 Zen.

So if instead of buying a T4 ship that's a per character unlock, I turn that 150k into Zen.. I'll have 3680 Zen from my 10 characters.

That buys me a T6 that's scalable, an account wide unlock, and leaves me 680 Dilithum to buy keys or promo packs to sell for EC.

Your prices Suck.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I don't like anything about this change, and I don't think it will have any effect on the dil exchange rate at all which was most likely the intent, simply because 99% of these are completely worthless. Thankfully over the years I've already purchased the account unlock versions all of the ones I might actually want, or recieved them as a free promo.

How will the cosmetics be impacted by this? Will new players now need to spend dil on a single character unlock just to unlock cosmetics for the T6 variants?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Most people in the game don't have 10 characters, most barely have 3, and even then, don't use them all.
    Source?
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    At first, I thought it was an attempt to curb the dil-to-zen ratios not going down, but then
    As these ships are now dilithium purchases and under deep discount, they will now be per-character unlocks, instead of per-account.
    showed up, so it's really about "encouraging" people to buy the account-wide version of the ships and having one last surge of money before the end of the current fiscal quarter.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Here is where your argument falls apart.

Most people in the game don't have 10 characters, most barely have 3, and even then, don't use them all.

Oh great.. we get to just make things up out of nowhere? Nice.. let me try.

Almost everyone in this game has at least 8 characters so they can easily make that much Zen.

Hey.. that's great.. it's so much easier to win arguments when you just get to make things up!

Insert witty signature line here.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    With the T6 ships playable at low levels, people tended to skip getting the lower tier ships.

I bought all of the lower tier ships before the T6 scalable ships came into effect, when it was more necessary to do so for my lower level characters.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Most people who play STO do not have, and/or play, more then 2-3 characters.

And those of us who do are psychotic. I own up to it, heh heh.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Absolutely incredible work here. The originally announced prices were perfectly fine for per-character unlocks, but if we're going to have to pay 150,000 dilithium for a TIER 4 SHIP, it had better be account unlocked. Seriously! How do you manage to miss something so integral to an announcement as the NEW PRICES OF THE PRICE CHANGE?! Like, if they forgot to mention that there was a ship they weren't going to implement, that'd be fine, but don't intentionally misdirect people with good prices just so you can pull the rug out from under them once you've gotten the positive buzz. The prices are ridiculous as all get out for a per-character unlock, especially considering the prices they originally announced (and somehow failed to notice) were a hundred times smaller.

I don't what to be more upset about, the lack of care when communicating basic information to the players, or the terrible decision to restrict what was once an account unlock to per-character. If I remember correctly, account unlocks being changed to per-character was what got everyone so mad about Sompek, and even sparked the introduction of weekend events. I miss those days.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    The initial Blog was a good deal and I posted about that. The revised one has me confirming that they really have no idea. They pulled the same thing with the Enterprise MACO and TWoK Outfits. If you figured out the Dilithium to Lobi cost conversion it actually was more expensive.

You must always read deep with this crowd. The whole read of the Blog borders on the disengenuous. People have been talking about T1-T4 C-Store future pricing. No has has ever mention the Ship Vendor's Dilitium Ships. The initial Blog is released and people are 'elated' about the new prices for those C-Store Ships. I mean, who would want to buy 16 of those Ship Vendor Dilithium Ships.

Nope, incorrect Blog, the initial Blog's prices was for the ships no one ever complained about. The prices for the C-Store Ships are really 15 times what was originally stated. The Blog's Subject would also seem to point to the C-Store Ships because the other ones could always be purchased with Dilithium.

Maybe the Blog was supposed to be released next Wednesday instead (April 1st).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    One thing is for sure, it's a way of cleaning out older ships from the C-Store.

I would like to make a suggestion for the T5 and T5 ships to have a list of which of the lower-tier ships that their characters would need to have to get the appropriate gear for the console sets.

In fact, it would be nice that the descriptions for the console set consoles to have a mini-list of which ships you need to get the rest of the set, including any event ship that may have consoles that are part of those sets.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Basically what this is is...

1) A pathetic attempt at a dilithium sink.
    2) A pathetic attempt to cater to the least common denominator.... the F2Per with only 1 or 2 characters.
    ltminns wrote: »
    The initial Blog was a good deal and I posted about that. The revised one has me confirming that they really have no idea. They pulled the same thing with the Enterprise MACO and TWoK Outfits. If you figured out the Dilithium to Lobi cost conversion it actually was more expensive.
    Except in this case its mathematically less expensive.

At the current dilex rate of 400ish
    • A T4 zen ship on the Cstore costs 1,500 zen, or 600,000 dil. In the new system you could buy 4 of them for the price of one ship currently.
    • A T3 zen ship on the Cstore costs 1,000 zen, or 400,000 dil. In the new system you could buy 5.3 of them for the price of one ship currently,
    • A T2 zen ship on the Cstore costs 750 zen, or 300,000 dil. In the new system you could buy 8 of them for the price of one ship currently.
    • A T1 zen ship on the Cstore costs 500 zen, or 200,000 dil. In the new system you could buy 13.3 of them for the price of one ship currently.

You are getting anywhere from a 75% to a like 93% price discount on these ships.

For a single character unlock only. If you have alts, the price goes up exponentially.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • rangeramongyourangeramongyou Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Except in this case its mathematically less expensive.

At the current dilex rate of 400ish
    • A T4 zen ship on the Cstore costs 1,500 zen, or 600,000 dil. In the new system you could buy 4 of them for the price of one ship currently.
    • A T3 zen ship on the Cstore costs 1,000 zen, or 400,000 dil. In the new system you could buy 5.3 of them for the price of one ship currently,
    • A T2 zen ship on the Cstore costs 750 zen, or 300,000 dil. In the new system you could buy 8 of them for the price of one ship currently.
    • A T1 zen ship on the Cstore costs 500 zen, or 200,000 dil. In the new system you could buy 13.3 of them for the price of one ship currently.

You are getting anywhere from a 75% to a like 93% price discount on these ships.

Except that the new price is per character, where as the old price was for an account-wide unlock (faction dependent, of course). So in reality, you take those new prices and multiply them by the number of characters you have that can use them. That's the new price. There's only any value or savings for people who only have a couple of alts.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I wouldn't mind a "flash sale" for these ships before they leave the C-Store.
    I'll pick up all the rest I don't already have.
    Either that, or leave them in the store for those that want an alternative method to purchase.

Seriously though, if I'd known this was going to happen during the last ship sale, I would have bought them all then.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    150k Dil.. per ship.. per character for T4?

No thanks.

This is clearly meant to be another Dilithium Sink, but just like with the outfits in the Dilithum Store, the development team still fails to realize that in order for a sink to work, the item has to have value proportionate to the cost.

Let me give an example of why this is a bad deal.

A T4 ship is 150k Dilithium each.
    Current exchange rate on PC is 407 Dilithium per 1 Zen.
    150k Dilithum currently buys me 368 Zen.

So if instead of buying a T4 ship that's a per character unlock, I turn that 150k into Zen.. I'll have 3680 Zen from my 10 characters.

That buys me a T6 that's scalable, an account wide unlock, and leaves me 680 Dilithum to buy keys or promo packs to sell for EC.

Your prices Suck.

Who buys and uses the exact same Tier 4 ship for 10 characters? Nobody! Most don't even buy a Tier 4 ship for Zen at all. The prices still aren't fantastic, and this won't be a great dilithium sink, but it's because these have never been a good value unless they have a really great console, like the Valdore, or you'rte really in love with the skin.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Good grief. For years they were making good progress on making the game alt-friendly, with so many things being made account unlock. Now we're trending toward single-character unlocks again? Color me unamused. Bad enough when they suddenly decided to make things like Winter Event items bound to character, meaning an alt created in the off-season has to wait as much as eleven freaking months to be able to get certain items. (Not too much of an issue normally, maybe. Creating a cold-themed character in the spring and having to wait until December to finish his equipment loadout was not amusing.)

Yeah, I'm going to call this a mistake, but quite honestly not a surprising one. Dollars to donuts, this won't be the last thing they switch to per-character.
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    I’m glad they are talking about the Khitomer Alliance again... does that mean my Fed can buy a T4 B’rel? Cause that would be cool!
  • ambrodeldkambrodeldk Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    I’m glad they are talking about the Khitomer Alliance again... does that mean my Fed can buy a T4 B’rel? Cause that would be cool!

If they actually opened up for all ships to be flown regardless of faction choice..... Oh my!
  • redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    er, no thanks - whats the matter with this game. we can use t6 ships when we start the game up, I dont want to pay dilithium for more, lesser ships that just dont go as far in the game.
This discussion has been closed.