test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How is everyone doing around the world with the Coronavirus Isolation

Just wanted to say I hope all my fellow players are taking care of themselves and staying safe from the pandemic. So what is everyone doing in their isolation?
Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    What I always do. Play games, knit or crochet.

We're generally homebodies, the Husband and I. I play games and do crafts, he watches tv or Roku.

What games do I play? STO, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3/NV.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • sharmutashlikha#2072 sharmutashlikha Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I'm fine myself so far, making sure to keep my loved ones out of harms way. but I'm blown by my colleagues' and friends' refusal to fathom what's at stake with quoting numbers of yearly flu casualties. the thing this lockdowns are about is to avoid a situation that's happening in italy right now: that people die because of lack of ICU beds. no flu casualty died because there wasn't an ICU bed available during last flu seasons.
    Post edited by sharmutashlikha#2072 on
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Being entertained by watching people panic over something that has a 98% survival rate.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • sharmutashlikha#2072 sharmutashlikha Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Being entertained by watching people panic over something that has a 98% survival rate.

your rates are suggestions at best right now, but I agree, don't panic, be reasonable and stay informed via valid sources.
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    echatty wrote: »
    What I always do. Play games, knit or crochet.

We're generally homebodies, the Husband and I. I play games and do crafts, he watches tv or Roku.

What games do I play? STO, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3/NV.

Just about the same for me, minus the knitting and crochet.
    Right now its STO, FF14, and bouncing around with a few other games. I'm actually thinking of finishing Fate/Extella LINK. Also recently finished watching Discovery season 2. Mom loved it, I enjoyed it... can't wait to see what season 3 brings us. And I do hope they do more with Anson Mount as Pike. He was great.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    moved to 10 Forward
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    I've been chilling here myself. It's probably just as well that I am pretty introverted. If I'm not in STO, I am either in Second Life, or kicking back reading a book, or binging videos on youtube. Good time as any to revisit the Hitch-hiker's Guide books!

And I totally agree that anyone working in the medical field, or any emergency service for that matter, is indeed a rock star. Cheers for you!
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Even if this stat were true (and there's plentiful evidence to suggest it's not), that still means that 2% of the people who contract it will die. Do you consider this an acceptable outcome? Would you still feel it acceptable if you (or perhaps your aged mother, if any - mine's 85 this year) were part of that 2%? Particularly when all you're being asked to do to slow its spread is to stay at home and wash your hands?

As for our household, we're all disabled one way or another and pretty much housebodies anyway. My roommate J. is a little annoyed because going to the gym was one of the ways he treated his PTSD, but he's found an acceptable distraction with his new biker gang in GTA Online (interesting group, as their only commonality is that they're all male and speak English - the Irish guy can get a little hard to understand when he gets excited, but it's still technically English). My wife's a crafter and has taken up the challenge of making masks for health-care workers to help fill the gap until more N95s become available, and she and I spend our evenings in Fallout 76 (or she watches a movie and I play other games, mostly Forza Horizon 4 and Champions Online - generally play STO in the mornings, since I don't have to get the kids off to school right now).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Since I have to leave the house, I take basic precautions to mitigate the risk.
    That said, it's a disaster in the UK, they closed the pubs.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

Oh its just as bad in the US. At least in Washington State, I know for a fact that restarauants are shut down except for take out and drive through, and the bars are closed too. I doubt I could go to my local mall for some nice Chicken Teriyaki at the food court.

I like Sarku. But with all this going on... yea odds are that's closed along with the mall itself.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • the76thrule#0927 the76thrule Member Posts: 6 Arc User
      Finally making an account on Star Trek Online for the first time.

Hello I'm new. :)
      Does anyone else here watch Farscape? Only me? Okay then...
    • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
      Finding out the Walmart delivery schedule for certain products. Pepsi needs to produce more Diet Mountain Dew!!! 🤪
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »

Oh its just as bad in the US. At least in Washington State, I know for a fact that restarauants are shut down except for take out and drive through, and the bars are closed too. I doubt I could go to my local mall for some nice Chicken Teriyaki at the food court.

I like Sarku. But with all this going on... yea odds are that's closed along with the mall itself.

You might be able to go to your local mall to get some nice Chicken Teriyaki. My city has two malls where one mall had all of the fast food outlets open, but the seating area was closed while the other had half the fast food outlets open and limited seating area.
    • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
      Been in isolation for the past week, picked up a chest infection so couldn't risk being out. I work for a major British retail chain and to be honest they where very good, I've been paid in full for the week.

Back to work today, bit concerned as we are pretty much in the face of it and people are getting nasty in the shops but my town has allot of old and vulnerable folk so we need to do our jobs, keep them fed. Established special shopping times just for the elderly and the NHS and our home delivery guys are prioritising them.

We got through Spainish flu as a nation, we'll get through this.
    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      As a cable guy my job is considered essential, so it's business as usual and I'm still going to people's houses for installs and trouble calls (installs are WAY up since this started). I AM wearing gloves in every house and using hand sanitizer after every job though, and we've been given a temporary pay increase. If anyone in a house is sick we are instructed to politely tell them to call to reschedule and then immediately leave.
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png
    • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
      Finally making an account on Star Trek Online for the first time.

Hello I'm new. :)

Welcome to the game
      Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      reyan01 wrote: »
      Have to admit, finding it really difficult here in the UK. Thankfully, we haven't had enforced 'lockdown' applied YET. And I work for the health service, so I'll have to carry on regardless.

I technically work for the water industry (so utilities) so would have had to go in. Then I've got a text from the NHS telling me I can't leave the house for 12 weeks.

I'm starting to wish I'd rioted over toilet roll and Marmite now :/

We've not gone extinct as a species yet from any pandemic. Some close bottlenecks but we're still here.
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
      The UK is in lockdown, there goes my social and family life
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        artan42 wrote: »

We've not gone extinct as a species yet from any pandemic. Some close bottlenecks but we're still here.

It is debatable whether a natural pandemic could wipe out humanity due to isolated tribes and there has never been a pandemic with a 100% lethal rate. Some people have been infected and survived through the worst of humanity's pandemics. Even a pandemic with a 99.9% lethal rate is something we can recover from. On the other hand, grey goo or out-of-control self-replicating nanobots would wipe out the Earth.
        starkaos wrote: »

It is debatable whether a natural pandemic could wipe out humanity due to isolated tribes and there has never been a pandemic with a 100% lethal rate. Some people have been infected and survived through the worst of humanity's pandemics. Even a pandemic with a 99.9% lethal rate is something we can recover from. On the other hand, grey goo or out-of-control self-replicating nanobots would wipe out the Earth.

Good EMP strike will knock out the nanobots. So will hostile terrain like lava.
        JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
        'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
        'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
        '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

I'm dealing with it with a sense of humour, I'm going to order a Plague Doctor's mask.
        https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raxwalker-Halloween-Costume-Steampunk-Cosplay/dp/B07GS7KC77/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
        NMXb2ph.png

We don't know how EMPs will deal with self-replicating nanobots since they currently don't exist. Depending on the size, nanobots could operate using quantum mechanics not electronics. Then there is the problem that nanobots can hide at a certain depth below ground from EMPs. As far as lava goes, it depends on if the nanobots are capable of learning by creating a massive network or just devour and create.

We don't know how EMPs will deal with self-replicating nanobots since they currently don't exist. Depending on the size, nanobots could operate using quantum mechanics not electronics. Then there is the problem that nanobots can hide at a certain depth below ground from EMPs. As far as lava goes, it depends on if the nanobots are capable of learning by creating a massive network or just devour and create.

The bot part means robot. That means they're electronic and made of stuff that's vulnerable to extreme conditions.

Everything operates using quantum mechanics. Even you.

#TASforSTO

• siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User

Of course not, extinction tends to be a one-off event. If we had, we'd not be having this conversation.

The bot part means robot. That means they're electronic and made of stuff that's vulnerable to extreme conditions.

That is pure speculation that nanobots will be made of electronics, especially when quantum tunneling becomes a concern for 7 nm computer chips which requires the use of more exotic materials to be used for more complex computer chips. The smaller the device, the more quantum mechanics plays a role in determining how it works. For all we know, nanobots will use photonics or biology to operate not electronics. So without knowing how the nanobots work, there is no way to know how EMPs will affect them.
        • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
          I have 2 friends I play on the game with, we talk on hangouts at night and play at night.
          The three of us run a klingon and a federation fleet. Right now we sit home and hope the rest of the state does the same thing *which alot wont stay home like there supposed to* so this thing can die sooner than later. When we go out its only to the store and home, get what we need and return to hiding.
        • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
          New York state resident here. Isolated and alternating my free time between playing games and glaring at maps of the US showing how few states have had the sense to even try locking down, and wondering how bad the outbreak will get over the next year due to human cussedness.
          siotaylor wrote: »

Of course not, extinction tends to be a one-off event. If we had, we'd not be having this conversation.

I'm stuck in the house, for all I know we could be extinct and I'm talking to a bunch of bot scripts.

That is pure speculation that nanobots will be made of electronics, especially when quantum tunneling becomes a concern for 7 nm computer chips which requires the use of more exotic materials to be used for more complex computer chips. The smaller the device, the more quantum mechanics plays a role in determining how it works. For all we know, nanobots will use photonics or biology to operate not electronics. So without knowing how the nanobots work, there is no way to know how EMPs will affect them.

Biological organisms are susceptible to EM as well. Gamma-ray bursts are a common theorised mass extinction event.

#TASforSTO