test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Return to the Battle at the Binary Stars!

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    As I'm sure has been mentioned here, Federation ships are not completely structurally sound. This is why they have a subsystem for Structural Integrity. You can even get boff abilities that feed this, like Emergency Power to Structural Integrity.

Without this power system, it's pretty safe to assume that a Federation ship would get crushed, like a stomped soda can, in high gravity areas, and fly apart at warp speed.

Add to this they also come with an Inertial Dampener system as well, and we have evidence that the Federation really needs to learn how to build starships.

Every ship, Fed, Klink, and Rom alike will use Inertia Dampeners, lest any acceleration/deceleration on going to warp (subsequently, dropping out of it), would flatten them like a pancake.

Also, Aux to Dampeners (a bit of misnomer) is the closest I can think of that resembles any active hull hardening (not just replenishment).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Also, Aux to Dampeners (a bit of misnomer) is the closest I can think of that resembles any active hull hardening (not just replenishment).
    Emergency Power To Structural-Integrity Fields. It's an Engineer BOff power, as I recall.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    jonsills wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Emergency Power To Structural-Integrity Fields. It's an Engineer BOff power, as I recall.

Emergency Power To Structural-Integrity Field adds hull points (and some resists). Auxiliary Power to the Inertial Dampers (with the doff, adding extra resists for energy too, and prolongs its duration) adds massive resists across the board, and, with all cd reducers, can be up all the time with a single copy. I like it better than Emergency Power To Structural-Integrity Field, as the Dampers add a huge turn-rate buff (+100% turn rate strength) as well. Ideal for cruisers.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    As I'm sure has been mentioned here, Federation ships are not completely structurally sound. This is why they have a subsystem for Structural Integrity. You can even get boff abilities that feed this, like Emergency Power to Structural Integrity.

Without this power system, it's pretty safe to assume that a Federation ship would get crushed, like a stomped soda can, in high gravity areas, and fly apart at warp speed.

Add to this they also come with an Inertial Dampener system as well, and we have evidence that the Federation really needs to learn how to build starships.

As it's stated inertial dampeners are a must due the level of acceleration Star Trek ships under go when doing to warp, I wouldn't be surprised at all if combating those forces was the main purpose of the SIF too. We've seen unpowered Starfleet vessel (or parts of them) in earth gravity and those didn't collapse under their own weight so it's likely Starfleet vessels aren't that flimsy.

EDIT:we should also remember that the Europa got hit directly at the main deflector dish, a part of the ship that's known be somewhat explody if damaged badly so part of the damage we see might not in fact be cause by the cleave ship directly but rather by parts of the main deflector exploding due being hit by the "blade" of the Cleave ship. Oh and yes the Deflector would get damaged if hit physically since like I've said several times mass is slow and things do get damage by collisions in vacuum (in fact collision in vacuum can be more dangerous due there being no air to slow things up).
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

I think you need a better citation than SIF exists. There is no reason to believe that a ship is so structurally unsound that it would collapse with the power off. That's a terrible ship design.

SIF is more reasonably assumed to be used for damaged areas and for better stress distribution.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited March 2020

I think you need a better citation than SIF exists. There is no reason to believe that a ship is so structurally unsound that it would collapse with the power off. That's a terrible ship design.

SIF is more reasonably assumed to be used for damaged areas and for better stress distribution.

I didn't say that were that structurally unsound, just that they were not completely structurally sound. I mean, we have derelicts and such to prove in normal space environments and dry dock, they are maintaining it without power. Plus, they don't have power when being constructed at a shipyard. Granted, the derelicts tend to be non-Starfleet, since a Starfleet ship will self destruct after 24 hours if there are no life signs from the crew, aside from those that have been decommissioned or destroyed. It's how they're designed, this may even apply to all Federation ships as well.

The examples I gave, high gravity areas, or systems with higher gravimetrics than Sol's norm, and at warp speed. This would be out of combat uses for the system. As you pointed, SIF and Inertial Dampeners, have combat applications as well. I mean take the TFO Gravity Kills, you'd definitely want you SIF running full time in that area.

Edit: Mouse did it's on double click for a double quote. Fixed it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

I didn't say that were that structurally unsound, just that they were not completely structurally sound. I mean, we have derelicts and such to prove in normal space environments and dry dock, they are maintaining it without power. Plus, they don't have power when being constructed at a shipyard. Granted, the derelicts tend to be non-Starfleet, since a Starfleet ship will self destruct after 24 hours if there are no life signs from the crew, aside from those that have been decommissioned or destroyed. It's how they're designed, this may even apply to all Federation ships as well.

The examples I gave, high gravity areas, or systems with higher gravimetrics than Sol's norm, and at warp speed. This would be out of combat uses for the system. As you pointed, SIF and Inertial Dampeners, have combat applications as well. I mean take the TFO Gravity Kills, you'd definitely want you SIF running full time in that area.

I can agree they probably need/want SIF near a black hole or star, but why would Starfleet ships be any different than any other empire's ships in this regard?
    ...a Starfleet ship will self destruct after 24 hours if there are no life signs from the crew, aside from those that have been decommissioned or destroyed.
    [citation needed]

Neither the Defiant NCC-1764 nor the Exeter NCC-1672 "self-destructed", even though both had been derelict and uninhabited for much more than 24 hours. Hell, the Jenolan NCC-2010 was on the outer surface of a Dyson sphere for 75 years with nary a life sign aboard, but she was still there when Enterprise NCC-1701-D found her.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited March 2020

I can agree they probably need/want SIF near a black hole or star, but why would Starfleet ships be any different than any other empire's ships in this regard?

Because lore, both ingame and on memory-alpha, state that Klingons have been a spacefairing race for a thousand years. But with this ingame lore kind of makes it tricky. With the Hur'q and Fek'lhri both tied to the Dominion, and the klingons reversing engineering the tech of those that attacked them. Leaving one to have a consider if that was Hur'q tech, or Fek'lhri tech. Fek'lhri being first, not long after the time of Molor.

Memory-alpha, doesn't have the Fek'lhri and Dominion tied together, thus points to it being the Hur'q's tech. A thousand years of building starships, versus the Federation's 300. A thousand klingon years, which are long that the human year. Something like 386 days, instead of 365. Which would be 1057.5 human years.

Plus, Imperial ships are built for war, meaning they have to be able to take a beating. Until recent ships ingame, if you look at klingon ships, they have very few windows on them.

Then you can break it down by the races.

Gorn and Ferasan being the two conquered species, so their designs would be more that of the klingon's here.

Then the allied species.

Orions, have the longest history of space travel in the the Empire. But go with form more than function. It has to be pretty.

Letheans and Nausicaans being the questionable designs. Spacefaring time is unknown for both. But with both being more of a predatory species, probably a bit more function than form.

Starfleet ships are designed for Science and Exploration more than war. Now, am I saying they can't take a bit of a beating? No. The shows themselves prove me wrong there. But you also have to pay attention there as well. If a Starfleet ship takes weapons fire on solid hull, it does some damage and leaves a nice scorch mark. However, when that same weapons fire hits one of the many windows on a Starfleet ship, every bit of hull in that area is now space debris. If you look at the ships, TOS era ships had very few windows. But you as get into the TNG era the ships have lots of windows. Sure, it makes them pretty, but it also adds inherent structural weak points.

So to say that Starfleet ships have the same structural integrity as a a klingon ship, is about the same a saying a Disney cruise liner has the same structural integrity as a nuclear submarine. Now, with the induction of the more war oriented ships we see in game, these are more focused on structural integrity. Falling the with the rest of the U.S. Navy's ships the carriers, amphibious assault crafts, cruisers, litorral combat ships and destroyers.

Now, for the game, having to code structural weak point for windows would be a down right pain. Thus, it's easier to make them the same across the board, whether they're 100% windows or a 100% hull.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    ...a Starfleet ship will self destruct after 24 hours if there are no life signs from the crew, aside from those that have been decommissioned or destroyed.
    [citation needed]

Neither the Defiant NCC-1764 nor the Exeter NCC-1672 "self-destructed", even though both had been derelict and uninhabited for much more than 24 hours. Hell, the Jenolan NCC-2010 was on the outer surface of a Dyson sphere for 75 years with nary a life sign aboard, but she was still there when Enterprise NCC-1701-D found her.

As far as I can tell this is completely made up. Not even the technical manuals mention that. So it's probably a obscure novel reference that obviously is overwritten by actual canon.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Spending multiple pages arguing the 'proper physics' of a warp-capable, invisible starship colliding with another starship under questionable conditions seems... gratuitous to me. It's kind of like arguing that 'the Force' doesn't obey proper mass-energy relationships. But I digress.

The important thing here is to recognize the importance of the Admirals' quote:
    "Because if we're fighting, we're not talking."

I always picture the proper reply being a mumbled "Ah, good, Starfleet. Finally you understand the Klingon way!"
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    you mean the most TRIBBLE words ever spoken in star trek? seriously, that's something one would say to a TODDLER, not an enemy commander...unless you WANT to be viciously murdered, which i guess he did​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    you mean the most TRIBBLE words ever spoken in star trek? seriously, that's something one would say to a TODDLER, not an enemy commander...unless you WANT to be viciously murdered, which i guess he did​​
    The ham and the cheese are indeed strong in that dialogue. On both sides.
  • drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    > @warpangel said:
    > (Quote)
    > The ham and the cheese are indeed strong in that dialogue. On both sides.

I'm always laughing now. Especially on my mains. Poor t'kuvma.

He only wanted to curb stomp the player team only I end up blowing up every other ship in a single shot. Then he says he still won :D

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    laughinxan wrote: »
    I'm always laughing now. Especially on my mains. Poor t'kuvma.

He only wanted to curb stomp the player team only I end up blowing up every other ship in a single shot. Then he says he still won :D
    "Klingon supremacy" = "I reject your reality and substitute my own." :D
  • drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > one of them is NOT a black hole - they are both stars, as burned ham's log entry in vulcan hello makes abundantly clear
    > (Quote)
    > ​​

A hair late but...

Ok so small mishap there. Point still stands both ships have mass and one of them is concentrating a lot of kinetic energy into a small space onto a ship that while smaller, is still a rather large ship.

Two large objects colliding will cause one another to inflict damage on one another from energy transfering from one into the other. And even if the stars were not there both ships project a small field of gravity.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    NEEE-EERRDSS!!

As a somewhat-on-topic comment: I've actually really been enjoying using support builds over traditional pewpew-boats for this event. Aside from the usual space-magic stuff, making glass cannon ships near-indestructable with my Triage/Repair ship has been a real treat as well - even gotten a few nice tells from people thanking me for saving their hides.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    I've noticed that happen as well; I'm not sure if it's because BoPs can run off with them or if it is an actual bug from latency(like what rarely happens in the badlands BZ during the starbase phase).
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Okay so here is a logic question...so ships have deflectors to prevent dust and small rocks from ripping ships apart at somewhere between .25 to .5c right? A small rock at say 25% of light speed is about 75,000 km/s. Let's say this works on rocks up to a kg. To make the math easier...but honestly it should work on heavier rocks as a star ship the size we are talking about won't be able to dodge rocks much...MUCH bigger than those. So we are looking at 2.8 TRILLION joules. That ship wasn't even going 1 m/s...which means the mass of that ship has had to have over 5.6 TRILLION KG AFTER the SiF to bypass the deflectors ability to absorb kinetic energy. How the hell did they make a ship that heavy?!? I mean did they strip mine entire planets to build one ship?
    Deflectors are used in flight. The ship was basically sitting there, with a tractor on the Shenzhou, and of course shields were down (as they were expecting the envoy to beam in, rather than using a rather more, ah, straightforward approach). Also, given the speed with which the Cleavage- pardon me, the Cleave ship cut through, it must have been moving considerably faster than 1 m/s relative.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Okay so here is a logic question...so ships have deflectors to prevent dust and small rocks from ripping ships apart at somewhere between .25 to .5c right? A small rock at say 25% of light speed is about 75,000 km/s. Let's say this works on rocks up to a kg. To make the math easier...but honestly it should work on heavier rocks as a star ship the size we are talking about won't be able to dodge rocks much...MUCH bigger than those. So we are looking at 2.8 TRILLION joules. That ship wasn't even going 1 m/s...which means the mass of that ship has had to have over 5.6 TRILLION KG AFTER the SiF to bypass the deflectors ability to absorb kinetic energy. How the hell did they make a ship that heavy?!? I mean did they strip mine entire planets to build one ship?

This also has a lot to do with speed and size.

Here' an example. A 1996 Nissan Pickup(Pup) Se versus a Ford F250 Dual cab. In this scenario 90% of the time the F250 just wins on sheer size. OR you can be me, road zombie, run a stop, t-bone where at the cab/bed are and end up totaling both vehicles. But, again, this is the only scenario where the Nissan here has the ability to do that.

Now, with the cut scene in question. The ships being rammed is stationary. The ship being rammed is also a light cruiser. It metric tonnage is going to be in the 50-70k range, as most cruisers start weighing in at the 100 metric tonnage range.

Looking up the information, which all I can find for the cleave ship sis the length, at 934.5 meters. However given it's overall height, and that cleave part has to be pretty solid. We can easily speculate this beast is going to weigh in at a 300-500k metric tonnes.

Now, the smaller ship is stationary, using a tractor beam.The cleave ships is probably moving a full impulse. When you look at it in just size and weight differences, even with SIFs in play, all you're going to get is...

x8dGaoI.gif
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited March 2020
    Deflectors are used in flight. The ship was basically sitting there, with a tractor on the Shenzhou, and of course shields were down (as they were expecting the envoy to beam in, rather than using a rather more, ah, straightforward approach). Also, given the speed with which the Cleavage- pardon me, the Cleave ship cut through, it must have been moving considerably faster than 1 m/s relative.

Wait...since when did they have to turn off shields for tractor beams? I don't remember that anywhere. And deflector shields turn off when not in flight? So all that space debris that is whirling around can hit the ship...that doesn't make any sense either. Obviously the main shields are down...which is why I didn't mention those. As for the speed of the ship...what you saw on screen is more than 3 feet in a second?!? I don't think so. Fine, let's be generous and say it was going 100 m/s...that is at a LOWEST weight of 56 BILLION kg. For ONE ship...that seems...unreasonable still. And remember that this is the LOWEST end of the calculation. If we keep the 100m/s and use the .5c end with a more reasonable 10kg rock weight, we are looking at 1.25 TRILLION kg. Now mind you, this level of nerdery should not really be expected in soft sci fi like Trek...but I figured might as well jump into the nit picking.

Can't take on screen speed literally. Most times such scenes are actually slowed to to better show what's going on. Also the distance it moved wouldn't be 3 feet. It would appear that way. But, in this case that's more 3km in a second.
    Mm5NeXy.gif

Wait...since when did they have to turn off shields for tractor beams? I don't remember that anywhere. And deflector shields turn off when not in flight? So all that space debris that is whirling around can hit the ship...that doesn't make any sense either. Obviously the main shields are down...which is why I didn't mention those. As for the speed of the ship...what you saw on screen is more than 3 feet in a second?!? I don't think so. Fine, let's be generous and say it was going 100 m/s...that is at a LOWEST weight of 56 BILLION kg. For ONE ship...that seems...unreasonable still. And remember that this is the LOWEST end of the calculation. If we keep the 100m/s and use the .5c end with a more reasonable 10kg rock weight, we are looking at 1.25 TRILLION kg. Now mind you, this level of nerdery should not really be expected in soft sci fi like Trek...but I figured might as well jump into the nit picking.

Can't take on screen speed literally. Most times such scenes are actually slowed to to better show what's going on. Also the distance it moved wouldn't be 3 feet. It would appear that way. But, in this case that's more 3km in a second.

3km/s?!? Are you serious? At that speed, the cleave ship would have gone through MULTIPLE lengths of the ship in a second. Like hundreds if not a thousand lengths.

That's what the Cleave ship is designed to do. However, for something like this, it' doesn't fit. So, add in some SIF and Interial Dampners, and polish it up with plot armor, and "Ta-DAH!" You have a cutscene.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    SIF doesn't increase kinetic energy. That's silly. It increases the tensile strength of the superstructure of the ship, enabling it to resist both in-flight stresses and impact energies better than it would without such a field. (This also enables the contractor to construct the ship out of lighter materials, speeding the process of cranking them out.)

The shields weren't down for the tractor beam; the tractor was helping hold the ship in place, as the mass of the Shenzhou was effectively added to the rest mass. The shields had been lowered because Adm. Anderson expected the Klingons to beam an envoy aboard, something that can't be done with shields up.

And what "debris whirling around in space"? Outside immediate planetary orbit, do you have the least idea how improbable it is to be struck by any significant debris while sitting still? (Hint: the average distance between bodies in Sol's asteroid belt is about 600,000 miles, or about 2.5 times the distance between Earth and Luna.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.