test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Man dies launching himself in homemade rocket

ajgurewitzajgurewitz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/02/23/mad-mike-hughes-dead/
Did anyone else see this story and think of Zephram Cochrane?

Comments

• Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    @baddmoonrizin Ten Forward post
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    ajgurewitz wrote: »

Not really no. Cochrane was somewhat of a rocket scientists functioning human with working brain, so knew the Earth is an oblate spheroid.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    i see elon musk more like cochrane. well there is no post apocalyptic earth around him but not everything can be like trek canon
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I thought of this guy more like Wile E. Coyote.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    If you're not smart eneugh to know the earth is round you're proably not smart eneugh to build a rocket
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Did he lose his parachute at lift off, instead of it deploying on landing? I gotta read the article.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Did he lose his parachute at lift off, instead of it deploying on landing? I gotta read the article.

In the video you can see the parachute accidentally getting deployed somehow during launch, and the article goes on to say that there were three other chutes but none of them deployed as the rocket came down.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Not really no. Cochrane was somewhat of a rocket scientists functioning human with working brain, so knew the Earth is an oblate spheroid.

Well, Mad Mike probably knew that, too. I always got the impression that he just suckered the Flerfers into bankrolling his pet project by pandering to them. Still, trying to build and fly your own rocket is a likely lead-in to a Darwin Award, no matter what you believe.

Just wait, the Flerfers will disregard the parachutes and blame this on him hitting the firmament.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    /moved to ten forward
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Didn't someone already prove this a few years ago with an orbital skydive?
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    People can be prize idiots at times.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
      starkaos wrote: »
      Didn't someone already prove this a few years ago with an orbital skydive?
      [sarcasm]
      No! Obviously its all a lie! The Earth is OBVIOUSLY flat, and how you supposedly circumvent the "globe" is Pac-Man physics of you phase off one edge and appear on the opposite edge! ITS SO OBVIOUS THAT IS THE ANSWER!
      [/sarcasm]

Joking aside, some Flat Earther actually DID suggest Pac-Man as a reason for going around the planet.
      Also I once knew someone who believed the Earth was only 5000 years old and Humans lived alongside Dinosaurs. Also apparently Carbon Dating doesn't work. Funny thing is... the guy this person believes, BOTH scientific and religious communities think is a hack. They actually agreed on something.

So yea... people can be dumb. Doesn't matter what evidence you provide to counter them, they will beat you over the head with their own so called "evidence" until you give up or convert.
      Hell... I once heard of a politician who believes wind farms will actually STOP the rotation of the Earth because they consume the wind, which is needed to rotate the Earth.

And whenever I hear these totally STUPID things that contradict all rational, scientific or otherwise...
      source.gif
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
      anodynes wrote: »

Well, Mad Mike probably knew that, too. I always got the impression that he just suckered the Flerfers into bankrolling his pet project by pandering to them. Still, trying to build and fly your own rocket is a likely lead-in to a Darwin Award, no matter what you believe.

Just wait, the Flerfers will disregard the parachutes and blame this on him hitting the firmament.
      Apparently there's already a group claiming he was shot down by NASA.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • Options
      jonsills wrote: »

By NASA? Ha! Amateurs. Obviously the lizard people are framing NASA so it's never discovered that the Earth is not in fact flat, but hollow.

Layers within layers.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options

By NASA? Ha! Amateurs. Obviously the lizard people are framing NASA so it's never discovered that the Earth is not in fact flat, but hollow.

Layers within layers.

I thought the lizard people were trying to prevent humans from discovering that the Earth is designed like an onion not hollow.
    • Options
      starkaos wrote: »

Layers within layers.

I thought the lizard people were trying to prevent humans from discovering that the Earth is designed like an onion not hollow.

No, that's the illuminati.

#TASforSTO

• Options
      dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
      edited February 2020
      obviously this is all a secret plot by the chinese survivors of the third inner-earth war fought between the mole-men and the lizard-people to conceal the fact that the Roswell crash was not actually aliens, but was in fact a top secret prototype flying saucer super aircraft built as a joint German/American effort post WWII and launched from the secret underwater airbase at the bottom of lake Superior. The aircraft collided with a mogul spy balloon that was built as a test-bed for the resurgent Philadelphia Experiment and sent back through time from the far future as a Russian plot to contaminate the American drinking water.

Wheels within wheels...
      Q is a Magical Girl.
    • Options
      legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
      welp...there obviously wasn't a lifeguard in this guy's gene pool​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • Options
      Top contender for the Darwin Awards
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • Options
        Top contender for the Darwin Awards

How many non-posthumous winners of the Darwin Awards are there?
      • Options
        jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
        Not many - to win, you have to creatively remove yourself from the gene pool, preferably before reproducing, and very few of the creative methods permit one to survive the process...
        Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      • Options
        Not many - to win, you have to creatively remove yourself from the gene pool, preferably before reproducing, and very few of the creative methods permit one to survive the process...

This pretty much counts
        NMXb2ph.png
        • Options

It is far more fun to hear about the non-posthumous winners. Especially when they realize that they will have to live with the honor of being a winner of the Darwin Award.
        • Options
          legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
          i think getting your balls bitten off by a beaver would qualify, yes?​​
          Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
          An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
          A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
          A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
          "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
          Passion and Serenity are one.
          I gain power by understanding both.
          In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
          I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
          The Force is united within me.
        • Options
          edited March 2020
          i think getting your balls bitten off by a beaver would qualify, yes?​​

It depends. Dipping them in Peanut Butter and then waving them in the beaver's face would qualify. A beaver sneaking into the sleeping victim's tent and wants a snack does not qualify. The Darwin Awards requires the contestants to intentionally do something incredibly stupid to qualify. Horrifying and humorous accidents that are not the fault of the victim do not apply.