test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When will we get a lag free game?

Comments

• section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Um... what's the game engine have to do with it? Because that would basically mean just making STO 2.
    > Right now it appears that the issue is with security.

The game could use an overhaul. If a new buyer is going to invest in replacing the servers with state of the art equipment why not introduce a new game engine? You would already be in for a penny might as well be in for a pound. Sure it will be a costly investment but the game is 10 years old and the graphics show it.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    This thread has to do with having a lag-free game. No talk about STO 2.0. That is an FCT. Also, they would lose me as a player, I would rather they optimize the game (as well as update the graphics but no engine overhaul) which some of these patches are addressing. You do not need to have modern graphics to have a good game.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    that's not lag, those are time dilations and are a feature left from the AOY and Delta content...
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Honestly I can remember only 1 game that (possibly) had an engine swap after launch (that being Final Fantasy XIV) and even there the 2 versions of the game share a lot of assets. Also WoW was able to have major grafical overhaul without having to swap the game engine, people don't seem to get what swapping a game engine means to a game.

I've said this before but a game engine is the foundation upon which everything else in the game is built, it's not something that's plug-and-play. Pretty much everything might potentially have to be rebuilt to work on a new engine, yes that includes things like 3D models of the ships, voicefiles and music and you can bet that character database won't work on the new engine, especially if said new engine was chosen based on graphical performance.
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Every game has lag!!

Do.. do you guys play other games? Nothing Lags as badly, as consistently as STO.. I've played MMOs on Japanese servers that ran smoother and with less input lag, no rubber-banding issues and without having misfires. Phantasy Star Online 2, a game with ALL the visual garbage of spell effects, explosions and massive flashy abilties AND people screaming around the levels and bosses doing all their utter nonsense and it runs smooth from half a world away with about 90ms of delay.

Meanwhile in STO is and its just OOO rubbberband man time. whats that Dyson? lag fest rubberbanding city. did you click that ability? are you sure? maybe you should click it again.. naw im just kidding its not gonna work lul.

STO has been the simple worst game I've ever played for how it runs on a CONSISTENT basis. It's not their ISP it's Cryptic, if every other gaming company out there can seem to figure this out there's no reason these people shouldn't have been able to in the what 10 years they've been making this?

• evilspokevilspok Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    I'd like to point out that the last time they "fixed" lag in the game it was discovered to be a coding issue. Had nothing to do with servers.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    evilspok wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that the last time they "fixed" lag in the game it was discovered to be a coding issue. Had nothing to do with servers.

I think its a bit of both last time powertray misfires were an issue I remember Borticus mentioning it was due to poor optimisation. This was a few years ago now.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • evilspokevilspok Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Have quit STO at least twice over the years because of lag and disconnects. Differing locations, pc's, ISP's, etc. Fortunately most of the lag I experience is in social zones. However, the frequent disconnects upon map changes or joining a TFO has got to stop. I'm sure I am an outlier in that I come back....I'm sure most don't.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,714 Community Moderator
    First people need to quit with the inflammatory accusations against Cryptic as they help nothing and will get people nowhere fast.

Knowing what's broken is only half the battle, actually formulating a fix is something else entirely. If it turns out to be something purely on Cryptic's end, this is something they can address alot faster than something outside the game and their control. Akamai is contracted by their ISP for security purposes. Akamai is also not under the control of Cryptic so not only are they at a disadvantage when identifying the problem, they are also at a disadvantage in getting a fix to the issue. Cryptic can't just walk over there, put a phaser in someone's face and say "fix this or get vaporized" as it doesn't work like that. Generally they're going to have to raise the issue with their ISP first, who will then have to raise the issue with Akamai on Cryptic's behalf, so basically going through a middle man. From there it will take all of them to come up with an adequate solution that allows for more traffic to get through, fixes the issues, and all of that WITHOUT opening Cryptic and others up to attacks. Also even if Cryptic were to switch ISPs if that new ISP is using Akamai, then the issues won't change. They MUST have their ducks in a row before changing ISPs or taking action. No one is saying to "just deal with it" but what folks like me are saying is to be patient and let them do their jobs. You're never going to have a 100% lag free game as that's simply an unrealistic expectation. I know folks don't want to hear that sort of stuff but it's the truth, especially if there are contracts and lawyers involved, then Q help us all.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    edited March 2020
    I note that when I put in references and dates showing that this issue has been outstanding with Cryptic for over 10 years, it gets deleted. If I offer to post links proving the longevity of the issue, or show that if it was primarily due to an "outside factor", such as a common service provider like Akamai, then it would similarly affect other games that pass through said service, it becomes "you dont want to hear the truth".

Just please keep in mind that it has not been proven that the issue is caused by Akamai, although that it is certainly an avenue to investigate. What I find curious here is how the issue is consistently deflected away from "this may be on Cryptics end because, you know, if its been happening to them for over a decade then its likely something consistent in their netcode", and towards "this is probably something outside Cryptics sphere of influence".

It may even be an inter-related issue, such as that Cryptics client packages its data in such a way that it causes more mis-identification of Cryptic game packets as "something to be filtered out by protection services".

Just tossing it out there because from my perspective over the past 10 years, its better to target the most likely source of problems than it is to imagine a situation involving contracts and lawyers as being part of a resolution to a long-standing lag problem.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I note that when I put in references and dates showing that this issue has been outstanding with Cryptic for over 10 years, it gets deleted. If I offer to post links proving the longevity of the issue, or show that if it was primarily due to an "outside factor", such as a common service provider like Akamai, then it would similarly affect other games that pass through said service, it becomes "you dont want to hear the truth".

Just please keep in mind that it has not been proven that the issue is caused by Akamai, although that it is certainly an avenue to investigate. What I find curious here is how the issue is consistently deflected away from "this may be on Cryptics end because, you know, if its been happening to them for over a decade then its likely something consistent in their netcode", and towards "this is probably something outside Cryptics sphere of influence".

It may even be an inter-related issue, such as that Cryptics client packages its data in such a way that it causes more mis-identification of Cryptic game packets as "something to be filtered out by protection services".

Just tossing it out there because from my perspective over the past 10 years, its better to target the most likely source of problems than it is to imagine a situation involving contracts and lawyers as being part of a resolution to a long-standing lag problem.

The powers activation delay/failure is something I always remember being part of the game, so that part is definitely a bug possibly involving the heads-up display overlay that's known to rob a lot of FPS and place unnecessary strain on hardware. The rubberbanding lag is more recent and has become a permanent 'feature.' I wish they would take it seriously to resolve it since the adverse consequences on the gameplay is really ruining it and making it feel outdated. You clearly have experience in the field and with STO, and it is a sad state of affairs to see things come to this.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    For me most of the time I do not have lag. Lag occurs when there are many players on especially during weekends and after dinner till midnight. However, the last few days lag has been really bad at almost all time zone except early in the morning. Too many players being quarantine at home playing sto. The servers cannot cope with many players.

At my end if there is heavy internet use on the weekends it does lag. Sto lag's more than most other games.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    To be fair, yes it is not exactly a simple push of a button type matter to change ISPs. With that said, IMO the Akamai issue has been going on long enough and caused enough problems to warrant moving to a different ISP. I think it safe to say most people will tolerate intermittent, infrequent lag. Enough people appear to have this problem full time and telling them "just deal with it" is not a good answer to provide them.

yesterday, I have experienced "disconnect from server" and "lost server from loading -or something like that", so many times, that the last time I had this problem, I simply shut down STO (right click on the icon). This lag/rubberbanding/disconnection problem occur too often to enjoy this game. Ground zones are a lag/rubberdanding fest, space is the kingdom of rubberbanding and misfire.

I'm a very patient person, but if this problem is not seen as a major problem by Cryptic, i'm not going to play a long time in these conditions.

I decided to keep my wallet closed until I see an improvement of the game. For the first time since my first day in this game (2012), i grind dilithium to buy a ship.
  • basilieusbasilieus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    At its worst - your character/ship just get smashed in battle before you have even "formed" or respawned, and when its a respawning lag - you cant even move away from the area, and the enemy seems to camp over the respawn area and magically regenerate to 100% stats. That happens too often, then its time to pull the plug on that mission and try again another day.

I agree that its time to step up the support for the game - it might be ftp now but Arc at least is making damn good money from Zen sales.

A lot of the "in game support" seems to have a similar response - post a bug report and see what the other players are doing/have done to solve. Sorry but this is like Toyota saying, "We'll give you a basic car, and sell you addons that you need to keep up - but don't ask us about mechanical issues - ask other drivers". If you are running a game and/or making money from a game, then step up with proper in game support. Please don't pass the buck. I haven't seen this style of buck passing on any other game I play or have played - and it is something that has really stood out to me.

The powers activation delay/failure is something I always remember being part of the game, so that part is definitely a bug possibly involving the heads-up display overlay that's known to rob a lot of FPS and place unnecessary strain on hardware. The rubberbanding lag is more recent and has become a permanent 'feature.' I wish they would take it seriously to resolve it since the adverse consequences on the gameplay is really ruining it and making it feel outdated. You clearly have experience in the field and with STO, and it is a sad state of affairs to see things come to this.

Yeah, the power activation delay is a noticeable issue, but one I've sort of gotten used to. Mostly because I don't play 'on the edge' much where instant activation is the difference between survival and dying in a massive explosion. I generally notice it when I am moving the mouse too quickly between powers, and if I click on a power and rapidly move off the icon, the power doesn't 'delay', it just never activates at all.

The same thing is noticeable in NeverWinter, but less so. Possibly because there are fewer powers to activate and they're closer together (so I'm not moving the mouse as fast), or because the icons are just a little larger on my UI.

I know a lot of people don't even notice it because they use a lot of macros and keybinds to activate powers, and that doesn't seem to suffer the same issues as mouse-click activation.

For me at least the power delay I can live with. It's the walking up to the exchange, then being scrolled back 20 feet, then walking back up to the exchange, scrolled back 12 feet, walking back up, scrolled back 6 feet, finally walking up and waiting 3 seconds for the exchange button to pop sorta thing that drives me to distraction. It would be okay if it was occasional. It's not okay when it happens 20% of the time.

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I have had some lag not enough info to report it in the section of General Discussion where such reports need to be posted there. That involved the Battle of the Binary Stars historic simulation. Had a server disconnect last night trying to complete that near impossible accolade regarding taking no damage as Leck on my main character. Still have not completed that. I am like Captain Ahab hunting Moby TRIBBLE. Otherwise, had no problems last night. Most of it was smooth sailing.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Well, every single run of the "Battle at the Binary Stars" is a lag festival for me, and i can't understand why the Devs haven't at the very least offered something else (going through a solo ground mission twice for example) to get the daily campaign progress done.

Another idea could be to move away from these crazy fights with massive amounts of enemies and more towards encounters with less enemies that are tougher to balance it out - qualitiy over quantity so to speak.

Anyway, going to lag through this mess a few more times to get the 14 "victories", but i think that will be it for me, i could use the extra Dil from the following days, but lagging through that thing for 15-30 min. per run isn't fun for me or anyone else in it...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    I know a lot of people don't even notice it because they use a lot of macros and keybinds to activate powers, and that doesn't seem to suffer the same issues as mouse-click activation.

Believe me, it's pretty noticeable even while using keybinds. I wish it werent's like that, because at least we'd have a workaround for everybody while we wait - endlessly, because this is a problem that has always been there.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Everyone seems to be whistling past the Akamai graveyard.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Knowing what's broken is only half the battle, actually formulating a fix is something else entirely. If it turns out to be something purely on Cryptic's end, this is something they can address alot faster than something outside the game and their control. Akamai is contracted by their ISP for security purposes. Akamai is also not under the control of Cryptic so not only are they at a disadvantage when identifying the problem, they are also at a disadvantage in getting a fix to the issue. Cryptic can't just walk over there, put a phaser in someone's face and say "fix this or get vaporized" as it doesn't work like that. Generally they're going to have to raise the issue with their ISP first, who will then have to raise the issue with Akamai on Cryptic's behalf, so basically going through a middle man. From there it will take all of them to come up with an adequate solution that allows for more traffic to get through, fixes the issues, and all of that WITHOUT opening Cryptic and others up to attacks. Also even if Cryptic were to switch ISPs if that new ISP is using Akamai, then the issues won't change. They MUST have their ducks in a row before changing ISPs or taking action. No one is saying to "just deal with it" but what folks like me are saying is to be patient and let them do their jobs.

Only speaking for myself here, but how much time is really needed to identify the problem and address it? This is not a problem that has been going on for a few days or a few weeks. This has been going on for the better part of a couple of years now, if not longer. Surely PWI/Cryptic have sufficient data and information at this point in order to make a decision. I very much doubt every cloud host and/or SaaS provider is using Akamai.

The correct answer here is a short amount of time to never.

While the problem might be easily identifiable, finding a way to fix can take a long time, and vice versa. Then again, the problem could be identifiable, but finding a fix for it is not possible. Especially, in the area of not opening the servers up to more attacks.

Now could Cryptic change ISPs? Yes, but again there's the time consuming problem to make sure the new ISPs security and the game actually work together.

So, either way they go here, it's likely to take some time to figure out what, if anything, they can do.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Yea... people are going "FIX NAO" without actually thinking of what that fix is, or if it will be effective at all.
    What if the next ISP also uses Akami? Well... we'll be right back at square one, with this same discussion and accusations of negligence even though they actually tried something.

The only thing we can do is provide data and be patient. The lag seems to affect some people more than others. But still... WE, as in the playerbase, can't really do anything more than we are now. Expecting a fix as if its as easy as flipping a switch is unrealistic. And no amount of waving signs or hammers or declarations of somehow knowing the system better will make a difference.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    regenerde wrote: »
    Well, every single run of the "Battle at the Binary Stars" is a lag festival for me, and i can't understand why the Devs haven't at the very least offered something else (going through a solo ground mission twice for example) to get the daily campaign progress done.

Another idea could be to move away from these crazy fights with massive amounts of enemies and more towards encounters with less enemies that are tougher to balance it out - qualitiy over quantity so to speak.

Anyway, going to lag through this mess a few more times to get the 14 "victories", but i think that will be it for me, i could use the extra Dil from the following days, but lagging through that thing for 15-30 min. per run isn't fun for me or anyone else in it...

BoBS is pretty graphics intensive. There's a lot more going on than in most TFOs/missions. Sometimes major lag isn't net-based, it's because your graphics or RAM are getting chewed up trying to keep track of everything on the screen.

Have you tried turning graphics settings down to the bare bones for at least one run to see what it does for you?
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    regenerde wrote: »

BoBS is pretty graphics intensive. There's a lot more going on than in most TFOs/missions. Sometimes major lag isn't net-based, it's because your graphics or RAM are getting chewed up trying to keep track of everything on the screen.

Have you tried turning graphics settings down to the bare bones for at least one run to see what it does for you?

Reducing the graphic options to the min. doesn't change much, the lag is still intense, 32GB RAM btw.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • basilieusbasilieus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Had graphics turned right down to lowest setting - so much that some of the detail in missions was lost and turned it back up - running low or medium settings on a new high end machine, doesnt change the issues - if it was a old low powered laptop I would agree. These lag issues and rubberbanding (Boing) have been going on for years. I initially played in 2012 and got so frustrated with rubberbanding, the inability to complete missions, being smashed in missions before even respawning - I walked away from the game until this year.

The issues are still there, and that it why so many people are rightfully asking - when is something going to be done to fix major issues affecting gameplay? There has been a lot of money made over the years by the developers of this game and by those offering items in the game - and yet besides new shiny items to distract players - it is hard to see genuine attempts to fix major issues.

The support is very light on, if an ingame issue is not being able to complete a mission, or completing the mission and not getting the rewards/payout - that is a matter for the game devs - to acknowledge, to fix, to payout if need be - instead there are numerous responses telling players to find out how other players are dealing with the issues. A player knowledgebase is a great thing in any game - showing a healthy and involved community, but it is not the default support setting. Issues reported on NPCs offering items that arent (Klingon Costume Tailor at Klingon Academy offers Klingon Defense Force Elite Starter Pack - contains a T6 ship that levels with character. Um, no it doesnt - still listed as that item - got apology and refund of Zen - but the item is still offered by this character - up to support staff to remove this item from his inventory - not up to players to warn other players this doesnt work).

As has been said many times across all different bug reports/issues - it is well past time for Cryptic and Arc to get behind this game properly and provide a service where major issues are addressed, rather than just cashing in on hopeless Trekkies looking for a fix. Stop putting Mag Wheels and Spoilers on a car that wont go more than 10km/hour.
    edited March 2020
    Also on the skill activation problem that's been mentioned. I've seen this, and I've seen a couple things that cause it.

As I use a Logitech G-600, 20 button gaming mouse. I've noticed I can push a button on it to activate a power, and then something on my keyboard, like spacebar, nearly at the same time. The power fails to activate, because the the weapons fire command was the last good command. Meaning the power got skipped there. This is an operator error, we all make them.

Second, is the power tries to activate but the NPC dies before it actually does. Which can either reset the power back to ready to use, or cause it to go on cooldown. This is just one of those odd little quirks of the game, not much can be done here.

Another is, the skillbar doesn't exactly agree with clicking powers. Some times you need to click once. Others you need to click twice. And then there are those times you want to beat it with a hammer to see if you can get it to work. This is part of the reason you'll see UI upgrade requests and suggestions bouncing around on the forums.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    basilieus wrote: »
    As has been said many times across all different bug reports/issues - it is well past time for Cryptic and Arc to get behind this game properly and provide a service where major issues are addressed, rather than just cashing in on hopeless Trekkies looking for a fix. Stop putting Mag Wheels and Spoilers on a car that wont go more than 10km/hour.

3t54ud.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I've been playing BotBS for almost two weeks and haven't experienced lag or rubberbanding. And I run it across five accts cause I play for my family. Yes, they gave permission.

My machine isn't anything special either. I run it on medium graphics. I only run low graphics during the Anniversary cause it's the only way to get a good score in the Omega game.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
This discussion has been closed.