test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Remembering the bloody log-in password for launcher option?

kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
So, I have a fairly elaborate password for STO.
I need to look this up, copy and paste it each time I want to get in.

Could we PLEASE have an optional Password Store?

Thank you.
Klingons don't get drunk.
They just get less sober.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    So, I have a fairly elaborate password for STO.
    I need to look this up, copy and paste it each time I want to get in.

Could we PLEASE have an optional Password Store?

Thank you.

Or you can use a more simple pasword... still complex, but simple to remember... i do, not that difficult :neutral:

The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    1 ph34r h4xx0r5.... :(
    :lol:
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    #Iw4nt2P3Wn0w!
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    trennan wrote: »
    #Iw4nt2P3Wn0w!
    If I can find my password... :P
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I keep mine in a secret file to copy-paste.

I only need it for the website / fourms when the cookie expires since Arc fills it in automatically when launching the STO client.
    THIS!!!
    But I kept it so secret... that I lost it...
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Use Arc.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Use Arc.

Some people dislike arc though and like to use the original launcher.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User

I only need it for the website / fourms when the cookie expires since Arc fills it in automatically when launching the STO client.

I tend to do this, due to the deluge of services/bills/whatnot that require passwords, all unique (mostly), keep separate files, backup, and 2-factor authentication, not to mention never saving passwords on browser, and nowadays people say use a password program, but same time, passwords are pointless/broken.

It is the circle of life that is a pain in the kisser nowadays...sometimes I just wish we had bio chip things, or retina scan, but seeing as how everything is hackable or social engineering acquirable...it's an endless endeavor...

So yes to the OP, change your password, keep your Paypal/whatever you use a different password/username, your CC/bank account, your email, and etc. different.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    This is a PEBKAC problem.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    Use Arc.

Use arc for codes. Since they removed Arc Quests, it's a waste of space.

You can use the original game launcher, which requires you to enter your password. Or you can use Steam, which brings up a launcher that requires you to use your paassword.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Complex passwords are too much of a pain to remember for most people. Release the Dogs of War is easy to remember or whatever your favorite phrase is and is less likely to be cracked compared to alphanumeric gibberish like C1OX42!19eaq or P!caRd1.
    starkaos wrote: »
    Complex passwords are too much of a pain to remember for most people. Release the Dogs of War is easy to remember or whatever your favorite phrase is and is less likely to be cracked compared to alphanumeric gibberish like C1OX42!19eaq or P!caRd1.

No, easy to use things are easier to crack. The gibberish as you say, actually falls within encryption bits. For example the U.S. Army says that at a minimum your password needs to contain, 2 Upper case, 2 lower case, 2 numbers, 2 special characters, and be a minimum of 10 characters long. This puts the password in the 158+ bit encryption area, making it far more difficult to crack. The more characters you use here, the higher the encryption bit gets. If memory serves, a 15 character password like this puts it in the 250+ bit encryption range.
    Mm5NeXy.gif

No, easy to use things are easier to crack. The gibberish as you say, actually falls within encryption bits. For example the U.S. Army says that at a minimum your password needs to contain, 2 Upper case, 2 lower case, 2 numbers, 2 special characters, and be a minimum of 10 characters long. This puts the password in the 158+ bit encryption area, making it far more difficult to crack. The more characters you use here, the higher the encryption bit gets. If memory serves, a 15 character password like this puts it in the 250+ bit encryption range.
    4h, 533m5 1 4m n07 7h3 0n1y 0n3 7h47 ph3425 h4xx022!l!!l
    p455w02d 54f37y f7w! XD
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited March 2020

Using the same password on multiple sites seems like a great time-saver, until you find out that one of those sites had their password database stolen and it was either plaintext or easily cracked hashes.

4h, 533m5 1 4m n07 7h3 0n1y 0n3 7h47 ph3425 h4xx022!l!!l
    p455w02d 54f37y f7w! XD

LMAO. Man after 11 years in the Army and having to deal with it, plus being a disable vet and still dealing with with the VA. IT'a both funny and infuriating at the same time. Since I still have to change my password every 150 days, because the one I was using expires.

So, at least with games, you don't have to do the mandatory password change twice per year. At least with a game, or other website, you jus thave to remember the on password that you don't actually have to change.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    @trennan that was one of the reasons I asked for the option to store game password in the game itself.
    One can then create a decent password, and not having to look it up every ten minutes to log in.
    PROVIDING he is on a system he alone accesses, naturally.
    That then, should be quite obvious, I reckon...?
    edited March 2020
    Still, STO have account guard, so its a 2 way autentication... and for that they would need access to your email
    edited March 2020
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Still, STO have account guard, so its a 2 way autentication... and for that they would need access to your email
    So true, but the optional PW store on login screen has nothing to do with that 2-way auth, does it, sir? :)
    So true, but the optional PW store on login screen has nothing to do with that 2-way auth, does it, sir? :)

As far as this goes. The easiest way to insure that your information is safe, is to never save it on your computer or phone. Anytime I buy something online, say from tigerdirect, bestbuy, amazon, etc. I have to enter my card information every time. This is, if someone does gain access to sch things, all they're going to get is a whole lot of nothing.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Not gonna lie, when I saw the thread title I wondered why someone was trying to get my password.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, when I saw the thread title I wondered why someone was trying to get my password.​​
    I figured asking politely would be better than.... ROFL...

Hmmm, maybe the title isn't all that clear, thank you for pointing that out.

Oh I'm not against this type of thing, for those that would want to use it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    I figured asking politely would be better than.... ROFL...

Hmmm, maybe the title isn't all that clear, thank you for pointing that out.

Well, a title that says "Put here your passrowrds so you never forget.." was kinda obvious! :lol:
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Use Arc.

Some people dislike arc though and like to use the original launcher.
    A problem of their own making, then.
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    I use short phrases were I capitalize the first letter and change some letters to numbers or special characters they look like.

I Like STO = 1L1k3$T0
    mez83 wrote: »
    I use short phrases were I capitalize the first letter and change some letters to numbers or special characters they look like.

I Like STO = 1L1k3$T0
    L337 forever eh! XD
This discussion has been closed.