test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When will we get a lag free game?

smr12smr12 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
So like the title says, when will these lag problems be solved?
Every single day it's the same things, lag, delays, non responsive things.
Many times i just die because the game isn't responding at all and to be honest it's getting pretty frustrating.
This game is FTP, but the cashshop sells us things up to hundreds of USD and for all that money spends we don't even get a game without lag.
I've been playing since 2013, and i can't remember a time when this game would be running without an unacceptable lag.
I know it's not my connection, but i do know that any online game from cryptic suffers from the same lag.
What will be done about this?
Until Cryptic fixes the bugs and the huge lag problem, i refuse to give them a single cent. A company that charges hundreds of dollars but can't even give a stable bugfree game (or at least doesn't have bugs that are years and years old), doesn't deserve my money.
Also when coming back after 2 years not playing STO, spending $30 and getting hit immediately with a 7 day account probation.
This shows very little respect from cryptic towards their playerbase and, this is another reason to not spend any single cent on this game.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    If you look up top of General Discussion, you'll see the lag hunting post. So Cryptic is trying to see what they can on their end.

However, due to the nature of an online game, there are a lot of factors that go into that. How the player connecton, ISP on both ends, connection routing, and such. Which means, there will never be a 100% lag free online game. Especially not the MMO genre, as now you have thousands, or more, players connecting to it. This present a great many ways for lag to occur, bugs to form, and things that just get broken.

Right now, if you look at the Lag Hunting post, the majority of it seems to be pointing at Akami Technologies. Or as it runs on your computer, Akami Netsession.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    No game is lag free. Especially Cryptic, which has had lag issues since way back when they were doing City of Heroes, before they transitioned away from there and into their new projects (but kept the same engine and base code).

The main factors: they're not a high end company, and a lot of their profit goes to PWE (the actual owners)... so they can't afford to have the latest and greatest either in servers or programmers. Their old netcode had issues from day one (in CoH) and it's likely they stuck some old TCP/IP library routines in there and have never looked at them since. They apparently use Akamai to filter their incoming traffic and that appears to cause another set of issues. Finally, they sometimes do something on patch days that cuts off their own account and login servers. Apparently they never learn from the many times they've done this, how to stop doing it.

Add all that together and you will never get a lag-free Cryptic game. You'll be lucky if you get a Cryptic game that isn't the laggiest game you've ever played.

(Edit: Yes, your home setup, ISP and net traffic are a factor. But those factors apply fairly equally to every internet destination you use. If STO is laggier than other games and services for you, then that's an STO issue for the most part.)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Again, Cryptic does not use Akamai. Cryptic's ISP does. Akamai is employed by ISPs to look for DDoS traffic, and slow it so that end users can adapt. Unfortunately, their algorithms at this point apparently can't tell the difference between a DDoS attack and MMO traffic, especially when traffic spikes during a special event (like the Anniversary, or the Winter Event).

Some MMOs can handle this by routing traffic among their many server farms - Blizzard is especially famous for this. Cryptic, however, apparently only owns the one server farm, somewhere outside Boston, MA (which also means we can be subject to the vagaries of Eastern Seaboard weather, but that's a whole different matter).

Remember that we first learned of the Akamai link when research into game lag turned up a long-running issue with Elder Scrolls Online - and Bethesda's servers, to the best of my knowledge, don't use the same ISP as Cryptic's. (I think their main center is located in Texas, but don't quote me on that.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    When cryptic decides to put some actual money into good servers and not the hamsters they currently cheaply use
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Again, Cryptic does not use Akamai. Cryptic's ISP does. Akamai is employed by ISPs to look for DDoS traffic, and slow it so that end users can adapt. Unfortunately, their algorithms at this point apparently can't tell the difference between a DDoS attack and MMO traffic, especially when traffic spikes during a special event (like the Anniversary, or the Winter Event).

Some MMOs can handle this by routing traffic among their many server farms - Blizzard is especially famous for this. Cryptic, however, apparently only owns the one server farm, somewhere outside Boston, MA (which also means we can be subject to the vagaries of Eastern Seaboard weather, but that's a whole different matter).

Remember that we first learned of the Akamai link when research into game lag turned up a long-running issue with Elder Scrolls Online - and Bethesda's servers, to the best of my knowledge, don't use the same ISP as Cryptic's. (I think their main center is located in Texas, but don't quote me on that.)

Some insightful information, if accurate, pertaining to the ever present STO lag. Most times, 85%+, it isn't too bad for me & only like 5% unplayable very rarely.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    With the end of net neutrality it is likely to get worse in the future, forcing the need for anti-lag pathing services (in fact, the odd way ArcheAge is coded it is already feeling the problem (latency has a massive effect on that game's dps) and some of the more serious AA players have signed up for such a service).
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    A couple of things you need to understand. You will never have a 100% lag free anything. Better technology and connections can reduce it to where it's rarely ever felt but you will never have a 100% lag free game 100% of the time, especially depending on what you're doing in said game.

First there is a ton of things that can cause lag. If you're running on an underpowered rig, they're running on underpowered servers or something along those lines, it will cause lag. It's also not a straight shot to their servers from your computer. Each time you send a command to the server, such as to turn your ship, a signal gets sent to their servers from your computer to turn the ship. The signal is routed through several hops through data centers that process the signal and route it on to the next center until it reaches the destination of their server. An acknowledgement of your signal is then received by the server and sent back to you to show the ship is turning. All of this happens at or near the speed of light. It's possible that your rig, their servers, and data centers are fine, but something else is going on. There is also typically hundreds of miles of wire between your rig and their servers. If something is happening to a line your rig is taking to communicate, it will appear as lag.

Second, Akami was contracted by Cryptic's ISP not Cryptic themselves. Akami is a security company and part of their job is to protect against DDoS attacks. The problem is that it's often times hard to distinguish between a DDoS and legitimate traffic without having someone constantly monitor it. Each time someone logs on or tries to do so it pings the server and sends a request to connect. When someone attempts to do a DDoS it pings the server and attempts to bog the server down with a ton of requests to the point it can't keep up. These often appear similar to a server getting alot of login requests. In fact Blizzard had an instance where they thought were getting hit with a DDoS, but it was just folks trying to log in. So the question for Akami is how to tell the difference between legitimate traffic and DDoS. Also, how do they open up more traffic to Cryptic so they're not throttled without also opening them up to attacks. It's not that simple as you would think.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    smr12 wrote: »
    [...]

My power trays never activate in a timely or reliable way, ground or space.

Ruins the game.

I just no longer play STO much.

Why bother when every other game out there has highly responsive controls that keep it properly challenging.

I play massive fast paced battles leading platoons of infantry and vehicles - hundreds of real players - on the same map on ~50 ping, even with others from EU that sit around 200 ping very competitively. Sure it's far from perfect, but not stone age and half-broken like STO.

STO can't fix its power tray bug. STO can't eliminate its rubberbanding.

STO can continue to watch its player base dwindle then.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    What's more concerning for me about the power tray misfires/rubberbanding and lag is it is now 2020 and the game has never run more poorly since I started playing in 2011.

Last time I remember it being this bad was when they started sharing servers between Neverwinter and STO that caused a few performance issues
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    edited March 2020
    Well I honestly don't know which ISP Cryptic uses, nor have I ever seen an official statement from Cryptic that they do not use Akamai but their ISP does. Not saying such a statement doesn't exist, just that I've never seen it. What I do know is what my tracert's consistently show:

C:\Users\xxxxx>tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms d67-xxmystuffxx- [67.193.188.241]
    2 9 ms 8 ms 12 ms morexxxs
    3 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms stillmorexxs
    4 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms 10.0.18.69
    5 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms toro-b1-link.telia.net [62.115.54.234]
    6 20 ms 17 ms 15 ms toro-b2-link.telia.net [62.115.117.229]
    7 26 ms 26 ms 27 ms chi-b21-link.telia.net [62.115.118.100]
    8 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms akamai-ic-326536-chi-b21.c.telia.net [213.248.74.223]
    9 26 ms 25 ms 27 ms po110.bs-a.sech-ord.netarch.akamai.com [23.57.98.243]
    10 25 ms 26 ms 35 ms a72-52-1-137.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.1.137]
    11 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms ae120.access-a.sech-ord.netarch.akamai.com [23.57.98.249]
    12 35 ms 36 ms 36 ms ae156-2220.access-a.sech-iad.netarch.akamai.com [23.211.114.15]
    13 45 ms 45 ms 44 ms a209-200-147-156.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [209.200.147.156]
    14 66 ms 45 ms 47 ms 198.49.243.237
    15 47 ms 41 ms 46 ms patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]

Trace complete.

(198.49.243.247 is an address owned by Cryptic.) This shows me almost half the links between me and Cryptic are Akamai, and generally when I experience lag or dropped packets, it's in those links. Also that the last links before Cryptic are Akamai, not an ISP. Maybe I'm reading the tracert wrong, I haven't had much practice because for all my other games I don't need to, and for Cryptic it never does any good anyway.

Personally, if my company was using an ISP that employed a technology that regularly disrupted thousands of my customers... I'd be shopping for a new ISP.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Personally, if my company was using an ISP that employed a technology that regularly disrupted thousands of my customers... I'd be shopping for a new ISP.

First, the connections are routed through Akami much like a security checkpoint before entering a City Hall type building. Also I would advise adding your tracert to the lag hunting post that I have pinned at the top of this GenDisc forum. Cryptic has no control over what their ISP does as far as who the ISP contracts with and so on. Secondly, they can't just jump ISPs at the drop of the hat. As I pointed out above it can sometimes be very difficult to tell the difference between legitimate traffic and a DDoS without looking under the hood with a microscope. Aside from possible contract issues and legalities like that, Cryptic would need to have something else in place before they changed ISPs. Even then that ISP would also have a company under contract most likely that protects against DDoS attacks. The issue that Akami and any security company will face is how to open up for more traffic without leaving Cryptic and anyone else vulnerable. As annoying as it is, it's just not as simple as you're making it out to be. I really wish it was but it's just not.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    As much the suppose blame can be put on the creators of said game. They are not at fault, the many gateways that exist between them and us, are the problem. And overtime, the damage to the infrastructure has been ongoing and the repairs are slow or none. So...traffic is diverted to another gateways which become more traffic to that specific gateway can handle. And it has lead to bottlenecking, again nothing can be done from Cryptic side.

In the early years of this game...that issue was a few and far between. Today, the impact is touchable and getting worse. We all are at the mercy of ISPs, besides complaining to kill the lag, just pray the current infrastructure holds up for now.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    None of us know the exact setup Cryptic has. It's possible their management or IT staff have dropped the ball, but there might be good reasons why they can't easily move even after suffering months of poor service.

We have one web and application server that we would really like to move to Amazon Web Services, but several of the applications are 10+ years old and using ancient Perl, PHP (not compatible with 7.x), and flat files instead of SQL databases. It's also the company mail server.

There is a list of re-writes needed for the code, we need to migrate to something like Exchange Online, and finally we need to find a good time to have the server offline when it's used 24x7 by customers around the world. And we need to fit this in while still doing normal development and maintenance.

Setting up new servers on AWS is easy but moving to them isn't always practical.
  • smr12smr12 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    darkbladejk can you please close this thread?
    if people start putting the tracerts in my whine thread than it better be closed.
    Until Cryptic fixes the bugs and the huge lag problem, i refuse to give them a single cent. A company that charges hundreds of dollars but can't even give a stable bugfree game (or at least doesn't have bugs that are years and years old), doesn't deserve my money.
    Also when coming back after 2 years not playing STO, spending $30 and getting hit immediately with a 7 day account probation.
    This shows very little respect from cryptic towards their playerbase and, this is another reason to not spend any single cent on this game.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    darkbladejk can you please close this thread?
    if people start putting the tracerts in my whine thread than it better be closed.

Umm...what?!? You are complaining that people are attempting to fix something you are complaining about?!?

There's already a sticky thread for tracerts at the top of General Discussion: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1252798/lag-hunting-data-submissions-round-2#latest
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I ran across an interesting tidbit going through a tracert using whois. It turns out that Cryptic's CDN is actually Cloudflare but apparently that part of Cloudflare is islanded in a sea of Akami (it is almost impossible to do anything in the US without going through Akami somewhere so that is definitely possible) so the problem could be some pissing contest between Akimi and Cloudflare or whatever.

It could even be that the anti-DDoS systems the two CDNs use might not play well together or something like that. A quick look at the Cloudflare community turns up reports of problems where things route through both networks in fact.
  • accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    A couple of things you need to understand. You will never have a 100% lag free anything. Better technology and connections can reduce it to where it's rarely ever felt but you will never have a 100% lag free game 100% of the time, especially depending on what you're doing in said game.

I don't think ANYONE can realistically expect a 100% lag free game. But it has honestly felt like a ZERO percent lag-free experience for MONTHS now. Every...single...day...at ANY given time, space OR ground...ANY map...the lag and rubberbanding is HORRIBLE. I've been playing STO since right before Legacy of Romulus was released (a long time now), and it has NEVER been this bad until about 7 or 8 months ago now. Even back then, yeah I saw rubberbanding every once in a great while. But this is just exaggerated now..
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    So like the title says, when will these lag problems be solved?
    Many times i just die because the game isn't responding at all and to be honest it's getting pretty frustrating.
    This game is FTP, but the cashshop sells us things up to hundreds of USD and for all that money spends we don't even get a game without lag.
    I've been playing since 2013, and i can't remember a time when this game would be running without an unacceptable lag.
    I know it's not my connection, but i do know that any online game from cryptic suffers from the same lag.

But how do you "know" it isn't your connection? I know I don't get lag that causes me to die..sometimes I'll get a little rubberbanding but nothing major
  • smr12smr12 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    > @lianthelia said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > But how do you "know" it isn't your connection? I know I don't get lag that causes me to die..sometimes I'll get a little rubberbanding but nothing major

because I know, I tested it and every website software and game shows no problem on my end.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,342 Arc User
    Apart from the odd rubberband when something warps in or out, I have no issues. I'm in the UK and not using an proxy.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    leemwatson wrote: »
    Apart from the odd rubberband when something warps in or out, I have no issues. I'm in the UK and not using an proxy.

I'm in the UK and whether I use the EU/US or no proxy it makes no difference. I did once change the compatibility for the launcher to run under Win 7 instead of Win 8 (my OS is Win 10) for 2 days everything was running great then the rubberband monster managed to find me again and now that change makes no difference.

Post edited by ussvaliant#6064 on
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    edited March 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I keep a tune by The Spinners called "Rubber Band Man" queued up on my cell phone nearby at all times when playing STO for just such instances when the herky jerky lag hits me a couple of times too many. Man, cranking up that golden oldie really helps deal with this kind of nuisance and in the best way possible too!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    (response to redacted post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Hey Jon

The short answer is when PW sells STO to someone who will furnish the game with state of the art servers. Cryptic has always had LAG. When PW bought the game they made it worse by stacking other games on the same servers. Right now PW has roughly 47 million dollars in the game. It would take an investor with roughly 100 million to properly fix the game and update it to an Unreal Engine. With the age of the equipment I can't say what PW would sell STO for. You can only surmise it will be for a tidy profit.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Um... what's the game engine have to do with it? Because that would basically mean just making STO 2.
    Right now it appears that the issue is with security.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.