test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pandemic

STO needs to reach out to the old players who are inactive. The covid19 virus has caused many places around the world to shelter in place. What better way to pass the quarantine time. Perhaps this is an opportunity to increase the profits by offering a new product or mission reward.

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    "Worried about dying? Unlimited free respawns in Star Trek Online!"

(Cryptic: don't use that.)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    An email promo without any mention of real world issues could certainly attract some former players who have found themselves with unexpected free time.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    They might not be inclined to actually spend money on stuff if the virus has impacted them financially.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    I'd settle for even a slight decrease in lag, rubberbanding and general login problems, tbqh.
    I already have to stay at home unless it's a case of absolute emergency, I'd pay to not have to try logging in 3 times just to get to the character list only to wait for 1/2 minutes to actually log in the character I want to play with :/​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    I'd settle for even a slight decrease in lag, rubberbanding and general login problems, tbqh.
    I already have to stay at home unless it's a case of absolute emergency, I'd pay to not have to try logging in 3 times just to get to the character list only to wait for 1/2 minutes to actually log in the character I want to play with :/​​
    If you're stuck in a login queue you actually can pay for LTM, that gives you login priority.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator

Almost sounds like it's more the ISP rather than Cryptic's servers. Don't forget that its not a direct path between you and the server. It could be anything between you and the server that could be causing it.

If you can do a traceroute to Cryptic's servers, it might reveal where the hang up is. A lot of people report that some lag is apparently coming from the people that Cryptic hired to try and protect from DDoS attacks. Akami I want to say? Unfortunately it is apparently hard to tell normal gaming traffic from a DDoS from what I heard.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    @sovereign010 My LTS dates back 9 years and counting, but thanks for the suggestion, though I'm not stuck in any login queue.

@rattler2 yeah nope, my ISP is working just fine, just as fine as the ones of multiple fleetmates all reporting the same problems - and yes, we do have different ISPs.
    I've done multiple tracerts and all points to Akamai as the source of the disturbance, which has gotten even worse since they restarted the servers the other day.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: I agree with @evilmark444 when they say that a promo "without any mention of real world issues" could attack more people. It's worth a shot, why not?​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    The problem is, Akamai wasn't hired by Cryptic - their software was purchased by Cryptic's ISP, and they have about as much say over that as you do over what your ISP does.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User

Have to say, I've never seen this kinda thing happen myself at home, except when the login server was down. Sometimes I've had to log in twice on my comp, but it wasn't because of the internet, it was because of my computer. (Likewise, while it can take a little time for characters/ships to load on the character select screen, I attribute that more to drive access time then internet lag.) Other internet lag I've noticed in game, usually turns out to be caused by other programs on my comp downloading and installing updates in the background. (Say security software.) Again, probably not a common issue, my comp is unusual in that it is offline more then online. Now, at a public wifi hotspot, it's been so bad I couldn't login and stay logged in, and that was due to using a shared wifi hotspot with 20+ other people, and even affected web browsing.

I'm not saying the problems you describe don't exist, just that I'm not seeing them. So the question becomes, why are you? And that I don't have an answer for, but if you could find one, maybe you could find a solution.

Back on topic, promotions now and in the near future could be a good way to pick up players, new or old, who suddenly have more free time. The trick would be getting the attention of people who may not be reading the website. (If I was working for CBS, I might try suggesting they do an STO commercial or something during Picard or maybe other Star Trek shows on H&I. Granted, it might be a budget commercial, maybe just play the Legacy trailer or something.) Or even just put an ad for STO on Picard's website. (I assume the show has one.)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    There's absolutely nothing Cryptic should do regarding Corona. And were Cryptic to seize on the "opportunity to increase the profits by offering a new product or mission reward," in light of COVID-19, it will be regarded as highly unethical and downright distasteful -- if not by others, then certainly by me. Greed is Eternal, I know; but I can only hope Cryptic won't stoop so low as to actually do this.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I would like to see that type of beer as a consumable ingame, but since no RL brands are used that is out of the question.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    If you've been following the lag hunting 2 post and looking at the tracerts, this is more isp. The tracerts I'e seen all point to a hiccup with Akami Netsession.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Oh, I been "stuck in a login queue" on STO before...note it has not happened since LoR... And when it happens, it is clearly announced on the screen and it tells you about how long the wait is.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    It should be noted that unlike with us Europeans, changing your ISP in US might not be easy or even be (practically) impossible depending on the local rules and if one the telecommunication companies has a monopoly in that area now even more so since Trump killed effective net neutrality in US.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    It should be noted that unlike with us Europeans, changing your ISP in US might not be easy or even be (practically) impossible depending on the local rules and if one the telecommunication companies has a monopoly in that area now even more so since Trump killed effective net neutrality in US.

That's not even remotely true. There's more competition than ever, and switching your ISP is as easy as it's going to get.

"Killing" net neutrality had 0 impact whatsoever.

You need to find a new source of information on the US, because whatever you're using now is outright lying to you.

lemme guess, you reccomend fox news?
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User

That's not even remotely true. There's more competition than ever, and switching your ISP is as easy as it's going to get.

You need to find a new source of information on the US, because whatever you're using now is outright lying to you.

How about turning off the TV.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • captainmarvelushcaptainmarvelush Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    "Worried about dying? Unlimited free respawns in Star Trek Online!"

(Cryptic: don't use that.)

Funniest damn thing I've seen all day.
    Captain of the Thunder and the Lightning

46cq7exrnlgb.jpg
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    edited March 2020

lemme guess, you recommend Fox News?

Your bias is showing. Also, not just Fox News holds this opinion, the Heritage Foundation does as well and probably other organizations. There are reasonable people who are against net neutrality. You are free to disagree though.

Now, let us get back to the subject of the title which is about getting back players as a result of COVID-19 virus. No, I do not agree with the OP on this. Contrary to some people, Cryptic is not the Ferengi and they indeed live in expensive California which might be affecting why ships cost so much in the C-Store (I know it is the Z-Store but I am not going to use that phrase, it does not ring well). Only a Ferengi like Quark would think like this.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Now, let us get back to the subject of the title which is about getting back players as a result of COVID-19 virus. No, I do not agree with the OP on this. Contrary to some people, Cryptic is not the Ferengi and they indeed live in expensive California which might be affecting why ships cost so much in the C-Store (I know it is the Z-Store but I am not going to use that phrase, it does not ring well). Only a Ferengi like Quark would think like this.
    This have nothing to do with the discuttion at hand? O.o

Anyway, maybe a giveaway would work, too. Something light, not necessarily big, to show some kind of support?
    Wouldn't be the first company to do something like this, tbh.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

edited March 2020
    This have nothing to do with the discuttion at hand? O.o

Anyway, maybe a giveaway would work, too. Something light, not necessarily big, to show some kind of support?

Yeah, except the OP was not talking about something as noble as a giveaway, but was suggesting Cryptic, as a result of COVID-19, seek 'an opportunity to increase the profits by offering a new product or mission reward.' To which I still, to this date, say even the proposal itself is distasteful -- let alone actually implementing it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >
    > Yeah, except the OP was not talking about something as noble as a giveaway, but was suggesting Cryptic, as a result of COVID-19, seek 'an opportunity to increase the profits by offering a new product or mission reward.' To which I still, to this date, say even the proposal itself is distasteful -- let alone actually implementing it.

Well I'm the OP and you have your opinion. Mine was for Cryptic to reach out to the gaming community to recover non-active players. Besides being a way to take people's minds off their current misery it is an opportunity to increase good will towards the players. This pandemic will pass within a couple of months. So the window of opportunity is very limited. In business there are times when you have a captive audience. Now is one of those times. People can't spend money on sporting events or social activities why not promote the game?
  • hicks#3836 hicks Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    (flame/troll/name and shame/rant post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    arnthebard wrote: »
    Well I'm the OP and you have your opinion. Mine was for Cryptic to reach out to the gaming community to recover non-active players. Besides being a way to take people's minds off their current misery it is an opportunity to increase good will towards the players. This pandemic will pass within a couple of months. So the window of opportunity is very limited. In business there are times when you have a captive audience. Now is one of those times. People can't spend money on sporting events or social activities why not promote the game?

I cannot, and refuse to see Corona as a 'business opportunity.' Promoting the game is always a good idea, as is trying to bring back non-active players. But not by taking the 'window of opportunity' created by a deadly pandemic. I have often called Cryptic greedy and the like, but still like to think they're above this. Free giveaways? I promote those! Especially when given to ppl who are home-bound now. THAT would be a nice gesture; looking at them for the purpose of extracting profit from them, not so much.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

I see Fox News as nothing more than a propaganda channel and fully support Net Neutrality, however I have to agree with captiannemo117 when they say that killing it hasn't had any noticeable effect on service.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    This have nothing to do with the discussion at hand? O.o

My post has everything to do with what the OP is talking about. I was not talking about a giveaway in my post.

Wouldn't be the first company to do something like this, tbh.

My post has everything to do with what the OP is talking about. I was not talking about a giveaway in my post.

Uhm, no? You said that Cryptic are not like the Ferengi - debatable, but not for this thread to assess - and that they live in California where everything is expensive and that's why ships in C-Store costs as much as they do?
    That has nothing to do with OP's suggestion.

And when have I have ever said that you spoke of a giveaway?
    That was *my* suggestion, not yours.

@hicks#3836 uhm, nice rant... probably to go with your thread that was closed down today. Certainly have nothing to do with that's being discussed here.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

edited March 2020

Wouldn't be the first company to do something like this, tbh.

Uhm, no? You said that Cryptic are not like the Ferengi - debatable, but not for this thread to assess - and that they live in California where everything is expensive and that's why ships in C-Store costs as much as they do?
    That has nothing to do with OP's suggestion.

And when have I have ever said that you spoke of a giveaway?
    That was *my* suggestion, not yours.

@hicks#3836 uhm, nice rant... probably to go with your thread that was closed down today. Certainly have nothing to do with that's being discussed here.​​

My comment about the Ferengi is because some people think they are that way. It was my segue to talk about that the Ferengi would do a Covid-19 sale or some type of promotion during that time to make a profit. While I do not necessarily agree with all of Cryptic's decisions. That would be really messed up if they did that which is what a Ferengi would think do. If they do something, then I would find merit in the Ferengi association. They already get a lot of money from ship sales, RNG boxes, etc. which of course helps them to pay server costs, employee costs, etc. Now, I am done with this thread.
This discussion has been closed.