test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

✯✯✯ STAR TREK PICARD ✯✯✯ (reactions and discussion WITH SPOILERS)

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    the display silhouette for the ibn majid makes it look like a sovereign saucer and nacelles attached to a crossfield engineering section

from that top-down image, it actually looks pretty good​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > According to Michael Chabon, on his Instagram account, the ibn Majid was a Curiosity-class cruiser and not a Emmett Till-type starship.

Unless the Emmet Till is Curiosity class. They're certainly similar enough that a silhouette and concept art could meet halfway in some beautiful union.
  • causalityeffectcausalityeffect Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    Speaking of a corrupt Starfleet too; hasn’t this always been the case in some form of another? We’ve had Section 31 operable in three shows already, and they answer to Starfleet.

Every government is, to some degree, most likely corrupt, it just varies on the extensively of that corruption. The Federation for all its good, shouldn’t be any different.

Star Trek Picard is not showing 'corruption' it is doing straight out assassination of the Federation.

It is incredible a Federation Captain would murder unarmed passengers on their ship.
    It is incredible the Federation Captain did so because he was ORDERED to do so.
    It is beyond incredible the Federation Captain legitimately thought Starfleet would destroy an entire ship for not obeying this order.

We have seen Starfleet training, we have seen how Starfleet officers are trained to react under fire and we have even seen how they react when forced to engage each other.
    From all that evidence: It is implausible to the point of absurdity this situation occured. The only way it works is if some fantastic revisionist history or straight out narrative abuse is pulled.

The same kind of revisionism and abuse ST:P has already engaged in by making everything disgusting, grungy, swearing and dark.

We had a brutal torture scene
    We have had multiple vivid mass execution scenes
    We have had multiple graphic depictions of suicide
    We have had excessive amounts of brutal and graphic murder

DS9 is often stated as being 'dark' - You can be dark and edgy without having to resort to the methods ST:P is doing.
    The bottom line is this: ST:P is being narratively and cinematically directed by children that seem to have no class or actual ability to do anything but do cheap shock tactics. As a result, they have to fill the screen with excessive amounts of violence to make the villians actually appear villians rather than be subtle.

DS9 did not need to depict the Cardassians TRIBBLE or mass murdering Bajorans for the message of them being bad to get through.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    So, we find out that star fleet intelligence is, literally controled by the Tal Shiar and people are still complaining about starfleet intelligence acting like jerks?
    regarding the federation fleet, I've a hunch we won't see em go bad. I belvie season 1 of Picard is 10 episodes, episode 9 will be Picard and crew arriving on the synth world, convincing them of their good intentions, showing us how the synths have developed etc. we might even see a leader in the form of a "biological data" if we're lucky. (or they could throw a bit of a suprise and reveal the "father" of the androids is actually Lore making us question how safe they are) at the end of the episode, the romulans show up and begin their attack

season ten ends with the federation arriving and safeing the day, the season ends on a bright spot, with the zhad vash defeated, commadore Oh arrested on some pretty serious charges, the season ends with Picard and co ventering off to explore these 8 worlds and the msytery behind them on the new federation ships USS Normandy....... ok maybe not the bit about the Normandy :)
    If you aren't happy with Picard or Discovery, then please, write a t.v. screen play for us to watch.

If you aren't happy with seeing people unhappy with Picard or Discovery, then please create a new forum. No, not really. But that just illustrates how ridiculous that kind of statement is.

in fairness we've already got a Picard thread. do we really need a buncha "omg I hate this TV show!" threads.
    Besides, just because we saw SOME borg survive in space when specificly sent there does not mean all borg will survive in space always.
    where the hell did you get 8 worlds from? it's ONE world surrounded by eight stars​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    where the hell did you get 8 worlds from? it's ONE world surrounded by eight stars​​

typo actually. but yeah, 8 stars.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    If you aren't happy with Picard or Discovery, then please, write a t.v. screen play for us to watch.

If you aren't happy with seeing people unhappy with Picard or Discovery, then please create a new forum. No, not really. But that just illustrates how ridiculous that kind of statement is.

in fairness we've already got a Picard thread. do we really need a buncha "omg I hate this TV show!" threads.

I agree, but I didn't say anything about creating a new thread.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Besides, just because we saw SOME borg survive in space when specificly sent there does not mean all borg will survive in space always.

Well... normal drones may very well have the capability. The only instance we have of that though is from First Contact. But it does stand to reason that every drone is capable.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    So, we find out that star fleet intelligence is, literally controled by the Tal Shiar and people are still complaining about starfleet intelligence acting like jerks?
    regarding the federation fleet, I've a hunch we won't see em go bad. I belvie season 1 of Picard is 10 episodes, episode 9 will be Picard and crew arriving on the synth world, convincing them of their good intentions, showing us how the synths have developed etc. we might even see a leader in the form of a "biological data" if we're lucky. (or they could throw a bit of a suprise and reveal the "father" of the androids is actually Lore making us question how safe they are) at the end of the episode, the romulans show up and begin their attack

season ten ends with the federation arriving and safeing the day, the season ends on a bright spot, with the zhad vash defeated, commadore Oh arrested on some pretty serious charges, the season ends with Picard and co ventering off to explore these 8 worlds and the msytery behind them on the new federation ships USS Normandy....... ok maybe not the bit about the Normandy :)

This seems unlikely.

Firstly, Starfleet Inteligence doesn't technically come into this. Commodore Oh is Director of Starfleet Security.
    Secondly, Oh's true loyalty is to the Zhat Vash, not the Tal'Shiar.

As for Starfleet 'saving the day'.... I really don't see it. I mean, we're talking about a Starfleet that:
    - went so far as to order one of their Captain's to kill two innocent (synth) passengers on his ship at the threat of the destruction of said ship and death of her crew. Why the heck would their reaction to an entire PLANET of syths be any better?
    - let a child die (Thaddeus Troi-Riker) because of their paranoia about positronic technology

I doubt Picard told Admiral F-Bomb about the La Serena's change of course because frankly, as have said, by all accounts Starfleet would probably just nuke the Synth planet.

It doesn't matter if it is Starfleet Security or Starfleet Intelligence, Starfleet has a policy where they can destroy any Starfleet ship they want if the Captain has a spine and doesn't follow the extremely disgusting orders like killing 2 innocents. I expect something like this from Section 31 not Starfleet.
  • gojkovgojkov Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I believe Star Trek: Picrad is going down the path of Admiral Picard fighting for Starfleet's ideals and honour. My guess is that by the end of the season Picard will bring to light the corruption of Admiral Kirsten Clancy as well as Commander Oh's true loyalty [to the Zhat Vash].

Latest episode actually shows
    that Zhat Vash isn't Tal'Shiar. They have infiltrated Tal'Shiar as much as Starfleet.

Furthermore I'm hoping to see Seven of Nine as a leader of a new Cooperative, even for a short while. Perhaps in season two if not this one. But hey, these are all just hopes and dreams. I very much like Star Trek: Picard and will most certainly continue watching it.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    gojkov wrote: »
    I believe Star Trek: Picrad is going down the path of Admiral Picard fighting for Starfleet's ideals and honour. My guess is that by the end of the season Picard will bring to light the corruption of Admiral Kirsten Clancy as well as Commander Oh's true loyalty [to the Zhat Vash].

Latest episode actually shows
    that Zhat Vash isn't Tal'Shiar. They have infiltrated Tal'Shiar as much as Starfleet.

Furthermore I'm hoping to see Seven of Nine as a leader of a new Cooperative, even for a short while. Perhaps in season two if not this one. But hey, these are all just hopes and dreams. I very much like Star Trek: Picard and will most certainly continue watching it.

The Zhat Vash not being Tal Shiar was actually mentioned by Picard's Romulan helpers. The Zhat Vash was the bogeyman of the Tal Shiar according to Picard's Romulan helpers. There was no need for the Zhat Vash to infiltrate the Tal Shiar.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I seem to recall a scene between Narissa and the Romulan Guard involving the ejection of the pods and basically stating that would in effect kill two birds with one stone. They did not expect survival of the drones after ejection.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    The Cube was still undergoing repairs. Also, at the time, the Romulans were still evacuating. It would make sense to let them leave and then use the repaired transporters and tractor beams to retrieve the drones. Logically, if Queen Seven tried to get the drones before that, the Romulan fleet could have just shot at the ones that had not yet been reclaimed and killed them.

ltminns wrote: »
    I seem to recall a scene between Narissa and the Romulan Guard involving the ejection of the pods and basically stating that would in effect kill two birds with one stone. They did not expect survival of the drones after ejection.

Those were the deactivated droids. The ones that were awake had be to killed manually. They sort of panicked when all of them began to awaken and just quickly got rid of them.
    rattler2 wrote: »

Well... normal drones may very well have the capability. The only instance we have of that though is from First Contact. But it does stand to reason that every drone is capable.

Maybe still you can make all sorts of arguements for and against. If I was tasked with explaining this my explination would be that , for a borg drone to operate in space they'd need to somehow protect their fleshy bits otherwise the fleshy bits would suffer the effects of explosive decompression. we know Borg can project a force field (thats how they handle adaption to energy weapons after all) the logical conclusion is that's how they'd protect from the effects of space. as the drones where deactivated there was no time, or ability for them to have a sheild go up to protect them.
    starkaos wrote: »

This seems unlikely.

Firstly, Starfleet Inteligence doesn't technically come into this. Commodore Oh is Director of Starfleet Security.
    Secondly, Oh's true loyalty is to the Zhat Vash, not the Tal'Shiar.

As for Starfleet 'saving the day'.... I really don't see it. I mean, we're talking about a Starfleet that:
    - went so far as to order one of their Captain's to kill two innocent (synth) passengers on his ship at the threat of the destruction of said ship and death of her crew. Why the heck would their reaction to an entire PLANET of syths be any better?
    - let a child die (Thaddeus Troi-Riker) because of their paranoia about positronic technology

I doubt Picard told Admiral F-Bomb about the La Serena's change of course because frankly, as have said, by all accounts Starfleet would probably just nuke the Synth planet.

It doesn't matter if it is Starfleet Security or Starfleet Intelligence, Starfleet has a policy where they can destroy any Starfleet ship they want if the Captain has a spine and doesn't follow the extremely disgusting orders like killing 2 innocents. I expect something like this from Section 31 not Starfleet.

nooo this is Commadore Oh whose behind all this. it's pretty clear to me that thanks to Oh, Starfleet security proably riddled with Tal Shiar moles. I mean, it'd not be hard to destroy a ship if you need to, we all know there are all sorts of back doors programmed into federation vessels like how Kirk managed to order the Reliant to drop it' shields in WOK, and the Omega directive, which can shut an entire ship down until the captain reads a report, etc. is it really hard to belive that there might be a creditable reason to belive starfleet has kill switches? even if it doesn't.. would you want to risk hundreds of your crew on that being a bluff?
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    The Duras sisters ignored Enterprise' shield just by reading a console display.....

Lets be honest, the Federation don't think things through
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Now that I've finally seen this episode, holy fbomb. I really didn't think this show could get worse.

In the course of finally getting some character development for Rios (because 80% of the season done is a good time to do character development) we learn just how evil Starfleet has become. Is Starfleet 75% run by Tal Shiar? This sort of BS, murdering innocents, fearing losing their ship to save innocents is way beyond what any Stafleet captain should be willing to go along with. That said, showing off the acting chops of Rios' actor and great editing to put it together properly was pretty nice with the hologram scene.

Now, the overall plot of this show is just getting dumber. No one has ever noticed this stable 8 star system before, and thought WOW! We really need to explore this! And that planet in the center of them is not only intact, but habitable, and holds a super important message for the universe? Oookay. I roll my eyes, but I ultimately give that all a pass because it was constructed by a super advanced species--that somehow learned to move entire stars before they learned the folly of synths, which is ultimately the more ridiculous logic leap.

However, this super mind destroying secret that turns mild mannered robot doctors into vomiting murderers and makes 75% of Romulans kill themselves? WTF could it actually be? Watching the destruction of worlds and civilizations is not remotely believable as something that would destroy someone's mind and turn them into cold blooded murderers.

If they actually throw us a twist and say that this terrible "secret" isn't the cause of the suicide and murder syndrome, its that the warning is actually purposefully designed to have the side effect of warping someone's mind, and was deliberately put into a system where any explorers are going to definitely explore, and then cause internal strife and technological decline in the empire that takes this message to heart, and there is no actual problem with synths then I'll be impressed. It is actually the sort of thing that STOs Iconians might have done to keep the lesser species in check while they happily use robots for all kinds of things.

Queen Seven, now that was interesting for she actually had a moral conflict. This is the sort of darkness that does fit Trek. Risk losing her humanity again (well whatever she actually has, the murderer), and maybe save the day, an actual, serious, moral dilemma that shows us that reluctance to do something that could well end horribly. I don't have a problem with her being not able to stop the ejection of the drones, because as others have said the cube was heavily damaged, so she might not have total control or even operable transporters, and as someone else suggested it is entirely plausible those lost drones weren't built for space exposure in mind, as we have always seen drones built differently which suggests specialization.

Of course no one ultimately cares when crazy Blondie Vomit confesses to the murder of Maddox. Oh there's just an insane woman who murdered someone on our ship who we spent 4-5 episodes to find, nothing to worry about, she's not really a threat because we are the main cast. I thought it was bad enough when they ignored it for 3 episodes. Now they know and just don't really care. Her scene with Soji was just embarrassing.

This episode solidifies something in my mind that has been an undercurrent theme in the show, though. We learn the Z V are an all female group apparently, just like the ninja nuns. But, throughout the show the women are also consistently the ones doing nearly everything vile, murdering characters, being despicable whether outright evil like O, or just a b***h like Admiral Hubris, and often emasculating the men.

This is the sort of twisted feminism I don't even know what to make of it, because at this point, I'm fairly sure it is deliberate, trying to portray the women as more powerful than men, to be the movers and shakers in the series. Yet, it doesn't actually make sense because they are all horrible. Not one is a role model that I think a woman can look at and say, "I want to be more like her," unlike say Janeway, Uhura, Jadzia Dax, or Crusher. I'm also fairly sure no men would want to be like Picard or Rios or the elf ninja for how pointless he seems, but again unlike older characters like TNG Picard, Riker, Worf, Kirk, Spock, Sisko, etc.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    If the 8 star system is deep in Rom turf, then how would anyone outside the Romulans know about it?
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    If the 8 star system is deep in Rom turf, then how would anyone outside the Romulans know about it?

The same way we know anything about star systems besides our own today.
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    Interesting, thank you all. :)
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    I think it's safe to say that this order didn't come from Starfleet, but rather was insinuated by Commodore Oh. We know the Zhat Vash orchestrated the synthetic attack on Mars, so they've obviously got a lot of power, and they've all got Tal Shiar training behind them, so if they want something done big enough, they'll get it done.

The whole synthetic war is their undoing; they set everything in motion, and they're no doubt still in a lot of control behind the scenes. It wouldn't be totally unbelievable to think that a lot of what's going on in regard to Federation dynamics at the moment has a Zhat Vash operative involved somewhere. The Zhat Vash were responsible for the attack on Mars. They're also responsible for the war on synthetics, and they're quite possibly ... possible (in part) to having the Federation pull out on aiding Romulan Refugees.

From what we saw of the Romulan Empire in TNG & DS9, they weren't very tolerable of other species, almost xenophobic, but we've got to take into account that the majority of the Romulans we met were military, who were following the orders of the senate. If the Romulan Senate/Military were xenophobic, then you can bet the Tal Shiar were tenfold. Imagine what they must have thought about all their refugees and civilians getting aid from their long-time enemy. It's not a stretch to think that some of the Tal Shiar and/or Zhat Vash would rather their own kin suffer than take aid from the Federation.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Zath Vash are the Bene Gesserit of the Star Trek universe. Instead of trying to create the Kwisatz Hederach, they are trying to prevent 'it/them/etc.'. I thought the suicide of the mediocre 'Sisters' was a bit much. So a civilization fell, get over it and prevent it from happening again already.

'RUK: Yes. Yes, it had been so long ago, I had forgotten. The old ones here. The ones who made us, yes. Yes, it is still in my memory banks. It became necessary to destroy them. You are inconsistent. You cannot be programmed. You are inferior.'
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    The Zath Vash are the Bene Gesserit of the Star Trek universe. Instead of trying to create the Kwisatz Hederach, they are trying to prevent 'it/them/etc.'. I thought the suicide of the mediocre 'Sisters' was a bit much. So a civilization fell, get over it and prevent it from happening again already.

'RUK: Yes. Yes, it had been so long ago, I had forgotten. The old ones here. The ones who made us, yes. Yes, it is still in my memory banks. It became necessary to destroy them. You are inconsistent. You cannot be programmed. You are inferior.'
    Oddly, I was thinking more Babylon 5 what with ancient species and the like. I do wonder who is expected to show up and stop this synth uprising though; a species very old. Maybe it'll be the Voth?

edited March 2020

Oddly, I was thinking more Babylon 5 what with ancient species and the like. I do wonder who is expected to show up and stop this synth uprising though; a species very old. Maybe it'll be the Voth?

I doubt it'll be the voth. or anyone else we have encountered.
    edited March 2020

I doubt it'll be the voth. or anyone else we have encountered.
    Sarcasm doesn't transition well on forums. :(

Whilst you're probably right, it would be nice if we saw some older one off foes back in the game. I keep wondering what the Tholian, Breen, Orion, or even the Xindi are up too these days.

So....... I just had a thought. Ok, so we know the ancient civilization that sent the warning was elimnated a long time, ago and presumably was active in modern day Romulan space. Picard specificly says the message dates back 200,000 years ago. even though Jurati never says that, so mild writing slip up, now.. what highly advanced civilization dissappered 200,000 years ago in the star trek universe?

something happened in star trek? iconians​​

#LegalizeAwoo