test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thoughts on Seven’s Rifles

revanmichaels#6727 revanmichaels Member Posts: 91 Arc User
My favorite ground weapon is the disco rifle from the lobi store. But I don’t do gamble boxes, so I don’t have enough lobi to equip more then 3 of my 12 toons. So I ended up just using the best drop weapon I can get. Some of the rep weapons are ok, but so far I find them disappointing.

I got seven’s rifles this weekend and I think I like them so far, if I can upgrade them. They may become my go to until I can get the disco rifle.

What does everyone else think of them and will we still have access to this mission post anniversary event? I’m wondering if I need to try and rush getting these guns on all 12 of my toons.

Far a second thought. What non-lobi or c.store ground weapon does everyone else like?

Third, May be it’s the programmer in me but I can foresee a bug. Has any confirmed sevens guns benefit from the bonus rifle trait or bonus pistol trait like all the other dual weapons?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    like any other mission since dust to dust, its rewards should be permanent

and as for which trait boosts seven's tets...probably the pistol one, since they probably copy-pasta'd the base code from dual pistols - but you can always check by slotting one trait, then the other and seeing which one actually changes damage​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Some other choices for a change of pace (not saying they're better or worse than anything else):

If you have R&D skills you can also craft ground weapons at Mark II VR and level them up.

The New Romulus command center has the Piercing plasma weapons. Buy them at Mark 1 and level them up.

Fleet Elite can be sweet. Phoenix tokens have a few too.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    So does Dyson Ground Command. The Plasma Repeater Pistol is very good too.

'Uneasy Allies' has the Mk XII VR of the Pistol as a Reward.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Best 'free' weapon for me is still the Plasma Wide Beam rifle.. that thing is great.

I do mostly use Lobi Weapons (DSC Rifle, Hearald Staff, Boolean, etc) but on characters that I don't want to put a lot of resources into, I just give them Plasma Wide Beams or the Corfeld Plasma Cutter. They are quite effective weapons.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    @seaofsorrows My main for one of my guys is the plasma cutter...nothing quite like a long, coherant beam of plasma that you can paint over enemy units like you are the Bob Ross of death and destruction while my drone force wreaks havoc (especially if you understand its quirks and what powers and modules it combines with)

Two other weapons most people don't use but has the potential for destruction in the right build are the Kentari sludgethrower and the romulan flamethrower - the Kentari requires some setup to be effective (primary to ten stacks before secondary slapping) but its secondary stack buffed damage and dot can be powerful on singular enemies such as bosses (treat the aoe aspect as incidental)...plus who doesn't enjoy coating enemies in purple sludge and orange lube that then detonates? :D

Its why I also carry the romulan plasmathrower as that is an aoe weapon that can chalk up high numbers with its regular damage and its dot aspect (for boff weapons its pretty awesome as they don't need to worry about the plasma cell ammo and four streams of plasma murders anything..plus who doesn't like running around with a literal fireteam?)

As to the free romulan weapons, my personal favourite is the repeater pistol - why? Its as its a handheld minigun by another name!

The best free mission weapon though in my opinion is Lecks knives - blunted somewhat by the new borg tricks; its still an effective anti borg weapon that does more than ample damage on any other ground mob in sto - As long as you recognise there is no advantage in using the secondary if theres only one mob (in fact a detriment due to time taken for the animation and the fan only does normal damage per target hit) the humble knife can be a powerful free weapon
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I can't stand the throwing knives myself.. the fact that they root you is a deal breaker for me. My 'go to' against the Borg is the Replica Thompson. Pretty much melts Borg even in Elites. :smiley:

I have seen people do quite well with the Knives, they're a good weapon for sure.. I just personally don't care for them.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    My favorite ground weapon is the disco rifle from the lobi store. But I don’t do gamble boxes, so I don’t have enough lobi to equip more then 3 of my 12 toons. So I ended up just using the best drop weapon I can get. Some of the rep weapons are ok, but so far I find them disappointing.

I got seven’s rifles this weekend and I think I like them so far, if I can upgrade them. They may become my go to until I can get the disco rifle.

What does everyone else think of them and will we still have access to this mission post anniversary event? I’m wondering if I need to try and rush getting these guns on all 12 of my toons.

Far a second thought. What non-lobi or c.store ground weapon does everyone else like?

Third, May be it’s the programmer in me but I can foresee a bug. Has any confirmed sevens guns benefit from the bonus rifle trait or bonus pistol trait like all the other dual weapons?

Thompson Replica, 2x S-31 rifles, 2x Choice weapons from reps.

Then every ground episode and battlezone becomes, Ring around the rosey, pocket full of posy, and they fall down.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    My criticism with Seven's Dual Rifles is that they're not the ones she used in Picard.
    giphy.gif
    star-trek-picard-seven-of-nine-violence-darkness-1208736-1280x0.jpeg

XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    but they are still a very lovely pair of tets​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    but they are still a very lovely pair of tets​​

7XDjFV5.gif
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    They are nice looking however I really wish they would make weapons like the mission ones with these special types of weapons Scaling weapons that scale up when you level up.
  • Options
    testsubject228testsubject228 Member Posts: 34 Arc User

My fav ground weapon is hands down the Disco Full auto rifle.
    If you can't afford Disco rifles for boffs, give them Romulan wide beam rifles or split-beam rifles.
    Can't really go wrong with rifles with 35m range on both primary and secondary fire.

Seven's rifles are boosted by the rifle personal ground trait.

As for what I think of them... I don't use them.
    But then again I avoid any ranged weapon with less than 30m range.
  • Options

My favorite weapon is the Disco full auto rifle.
    If you can't afford Disco rifles for Boffs get them Romulan Wide-beam rifles w/critD or split-beam rifles w/critd.
    Can't really go wrong with rifles with 35m range on both primary and secondary fire.
    Seven's rifles are boosted by rifle personal ground trait.
    As for what I think of them.. I don't use them. I generally avoid any weapon with less than 30m range.
  • Options
    > @testsubject228 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > My favorite weapon is the Disco full auto rifle.
    > If you can't afford Disco rifles for Boffs get them Romulan Wide-beam rifles w/critD or split-beam rifles w/critd.
    > Can't really go wrong with rifles with 35m range on both primary and secondary fire.
    > Seven's rifles are boosted by rifle personal ground trait.
    > As for what I think of them.. I don't use them. I generally avoid any weapon with less than 30m range.

Is 5m range that big a difference? As long as you have one boff doing crowd control and one healing it has been my experience it’s just about how much dps you can dish out to clear the mobs. The AI is to stupid to do anything other then “charge”.
  • Options
    This is a personal preferance thing.
    That being said: I prefer to position my self so I can get as many NPCs in rage as possible,
    then buff up my dmg buffs and just wipe them out.
    The more range have, the more enemies I can reach and kill.
    As for does 5m really matter.. swarmers in Dyson Battlezone hover at 25-30m some times, which really irks me.

As for the boff AI: the longer range weapon the earlier they start to shoot. But like you pointed out the AI ain't too smart and won't use secondary fire too often or smart. which makes the DSC rifle perfect for them since it's primary packs punch and has a really short refire rate.

This my boff setup if you are interested. (found this on reddit, tried it. never looked back.)

Science Boff #1 - Medical Tricoder I & II, Cold Fusion Flash III, Hyperonic Radiation.

Engineer Boff - Chroniton Mine Barrier I & II, Sabotage III, Quantum Mortar II

Science Boff #2 - See #1

Tactical Boff - Graviton Spike I, Battle Strategies II, Overwatch I and Target Optics III

When it's me and only 2 boffs I use sci and tac.

In closing: the range thing is mostly a personal preferance, but it does make things easier/quicker.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    The Piercing Plasma Rifle and the Plasma Repeating Pistol from the Romulan's ground weapon store are sweet weapons. I really do love them.
    The Replica Thompson is a second favourite, mainly because I love the Thompson.
  • Options
    > @testsubject228 said:
    > This is a personal preferance thing.
    >
    > As for the boff AI: the longer range weapon the earlier they start to shoot. But like you pointed out the AI ain't too smart and won't use secondary fire too often or smart. which makes the DSC rifle perfect for them since it's primary packs punch and has a really short refire rate.
    >
    > This my boff setup if you are interested. (found this on reddit, tried it. never looked back.)
    >
    > Science Boff #1 - Medical Tricoder I & II, Cold Fusion Flash III, Hyperonic Radiation.
    >
    > Engineer Boff - Chroniton Mine Barrier I & II, Sabotage III, Quantum Mortar II
    >
    > Science Boff #2 - See #1
    >
    > Tactical Boff - Graviton Spike I, Battle Strategies II, Overwatch I and Target Optics III
    >
    > When it's me and only 2 boffs I use sci and tac.
    >
    > In closing: the range thing is mostly a personal preferance, but it does make things easier/quicker.
    >
    > Hope this helps :)

Your setup is pretty close to one I use.

1.I don’t use the mortar and prefer the drones since they are more mobile.

2. I don’t have grav spike, but I make my first officer( tac officer) a temporal officer. This allows me to give her the temporal power( don’t know the name of the top of my head) that sucks all the bads to a spot then explodes. This allows me to shred them with secondary fire and kit torps.
This discussion has been closed.