Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    (response to redacted post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Saavik was raised by Vulcans too, and in a house that had no humans in it like Spock's family did, yet she cried at Spock's funeral. And she was adopted at a younger age than Burnham was so she spent even more time in the Vulcan culture.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Did you watch TMP, old? Spock wept in Sickbay after his mindmeld with V'ger.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rocketman33#0665 rocketman33 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    It's great that people are into the story, but it is science "fiction", so they have a lot of leeway with their story development. I'm more concerned that there is no cure for baldness in the 24th century, and time travel gets a little abused.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,206 Arc User
    I really hated Burnt Ham's inclusion in the story. It was one thing eith her just as a character in the show but in game? Her holier than though attitude is so damn annoying.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    there IS a cure for baldness - but no one cares about such things anymore, so people don't use it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • olddad78#2157 olddad78 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > You do not speak for the player base, it's a slap in the face TO YOU.
    >
    > The only thing it offends is your personal opinion which no one cares about anyway.

Well obviously you care. You are replying.

And you are the exact fan Star Trek is looking for.... (Im sure just ur typical millenial)

Oh Spock had a sister all this time... PLEASE TELL ME MORE!!! OH SUPER COOL SHE IS RAISED BY VULCANS, BUT CRIES JUST LIKE A MILLENIAL!! FINALLY A STAR TREK THAT SPEAKS TO MY MILLENIAL HEART!

CANT WAIT TO TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!!

Hopefully they really dig deeper into the whole red angel thing.... Because Space, Black holes, and 4th dimensions just leave alot to be desired! I dont know bout u guys.... but id really like to see some more Angels!
    Red ones!!
    And ive watched every star trek ever made several times. (With exception of the animated series) I know Spock has had his moments of emotion. Heck, he is half human, so i totally buy his character. But M.B. cries every episode. I dont ever remember her checking herself in sickbay for crying. Her character is just too unbelievable for me. Although, there is alot more wrong with that series than M.B.

Thats why i dont watch discovery.
    Thank goodness for Picard! I know its started kinda slow. But i hav full confidence before its over, the old crew will be together. And the crew of Enterprise will re-shape star fleet...... Its gonna set the bar for Star Trek
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Burnham isn't a Vulcan, she's a human, humans cry as part of our natural emotional reactions. It's actualy pretty healthy for a human to cry.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    (Im sure just ur typical millenial)

And you would be wrong.

There are reasons behind all of your silly complaints but obviously you're here to rant and get attention.. seems you're doing a good job of it so congrats I guess.

Funny how you attack everyone else based on what you perceive their age to be but yet you're the one acting like a child.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    > @fallenkezef#4581 said:
    > Burnham isn't a Vulcan, she's a human, humans cry as part of our natural emotional reactions. It's actualy pretty healthy for a human to cry.

Lol.... I know its healthy. But goodness it cant be healthy to watch a human cry.. 1-hour a week. I dont know. Im just a human, raised by humans. 👽
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Season 2 really fleshed her out as a character they explain her background the reason why even Sarak adopted her. Sarak can be well to put it mildly to extreme when it comes to his son being all pure logical and has high expectations. She was there to help his son or something with empathy and to help guide him in a way he didn't trust Spocks own mother to do for him so a sibbling relationship. I'm guessing it happened some time after the banishment of Sybok it could even be because of Sybok that Serak choose to give Spock another sibling only this time a human child he seemed to be strick on Amanda staying out of Spocks life when it comes to Emotional support. So the Vulcan way is very harsh and there is so much expected of the children they undergo extreme conditioning to control their emotions. Given Sarak banished Sybok and excommunicated him from the family shows how harsh he could really be and how seriously Vulcans take emotional control. Abandoning it can be grounds for excommunication from Vulcan Families. Its you do this or you are outcast shunned from Vulcan Society that is the environment Michael Burnham was raised in.

Spock also had an empathy deficit but we know he becomes very empathetic later in his life. Which is why Michael Burnham was brought into the Family. Her purpose was to fill a role that taught Spock to feel Empathy something that Vulcans I think are expected to have without having the overbearing reverence effect that Spock felt towards his Mother. So that was the reasoning for Michael Burnham.

But he might not have learned it fully until the later events of season two of discovery. So the effect I think they wanted to tell with Spock's discovery story was him becoming the Spock everyone loves. So she was part of his Journey and he was part of hers. So I really think they did a very good job showing that off. Like her or hate her, at least they do a wonderful dynamic that morphs Spock into Spock. Kirk and his Friendship with him also helped him along too. But it all started with his foster sister. So the Spock in tos and the movies was shaped by his experiences with his Foster Sister. Given how secretive Spock was about his family. It makes sense why she was never ever mentioned. Which is why it makes sense canonically as he never mentioned Sybok or talked about him either until he had no real choice but to do so. Which was seen in Star Trek Five. So Spock won't mention Family like this unless he had to mention it was already canon before Discovery.

I liked how Sto did Burnham. One she has unique dialog for Romulan Characters. Not to found how they ended the second mission with her in it. But then I understand it was done so they could potentially use her again. Not sure why the Rock people created her for the mission but it might had something to do with the recent events with Jula and well the Network.
    I know some people might not be to fond of the Character. But I think some of the things people really don't like about her and it has nothing to do with the actress but how she was written as a character. What people precieve to be bad writing tends to turn people off when it comes to characters.
    Post edited by thevampinator on
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    > Burnham isn't a Vulcan, she's a human, humans cry as part of our natural emotional reactions. It's actualy pretty healthy for a human to cry.

Lol.... I know its healthy. But goodness it cant be healthy to watch a human cry.. 1-hour a week. I dont know. Im just a human, raised by humans. 👽

She doesn't cry nearly that often. There's also always a reason for it. How dare they show that people are complex, and have emotional reactions to appropriate stimuli, right? Storytelling has moved on a bit over the last 54 years, sorry if you can't keep up.

I feel like there's a pithy phrase that should go here, something like Oklahoma Beemer. No, that's not quite right.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    As Yranac said to Riker, "As a man with a sister, a sister with a temper, I can sympathise with you."

But seriously, Burnham is annoying, holier-than-thou, and what not. But next to the 'Planet of the Apes' masks those Klingons were wearing, she was just fine. :p

Now, even more seriously, Burnham is just part of the show. We need to deal with that. And, as BMR once said, 'gatekeeping' is, if not outright verboten, certainly frowned upon. Things tend to go downhill really fast when infighting starts over what is true Trek, and who belongs, etc. So, best we simply don't go there.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > You do not speak for the player base, it's a slap in the face TO YOU.
    >
    > The only thing it offends is your personal opinion which no one cares about anyway.

Well obviously you care. You are replying.

And you are the exact fan Star Trek is looking for.... (Im sure just ur typical millenial)!

Okay, now you're just trolling. Should have seen that coming a mile wide.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Saavik was raised by Vulcans too, and in a house that had no humans in it like Spock's family did, yet she cried at Spock's funeral.

Saavik's emotions in TWoK are due to the character initially being written as half-vulcan, half-romulan. That detail is never mentioned on screen though (filmed dialogue mentioning it was removed before the movie was released), and if I remember right the second actress played her completely emotionless like a pure vulcan, so her romulan heritage may not actually be canon. Anything that may have happened in a novel is also not canon.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Saavik's emotions in TWoK are due to the character initially being written as half-vulcan, half-romulan. That detail is never mentioned on screen though (filmed dialogue mentioning it was removed before the movie was released), and if I remember right the second actress played her completely emotionless like a pure vulcan, so her romulan heritage may not actually be canon. Anything that may have happened in a novel is also not canon.

Such as her banging David Marcus in the novelization for The Search For Spock? In Paramount/CBS's "TRIBBLE all books" world, does the novelization of a movie count as canon or not?

Per the OP, I'm not a fan of Burnam as written either. What mention there is of her heritage is incredibly shallow and mostly used as an excuse for her to act badly and I am baffled that she is considered some kind of moral leader on the show while clearly Saru, Pike, and (original) Georgiou have better moral compasses than she does. I am also quite disgusted with their treatment of Sarek who comes off very poorly.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Did you watch TMP, old? Spock wept in Sickbay after his mindmeld with V'ger.

Then again, it was an overpowering/overwhelming experience.

Anyways, Michael Burnham was shoehorned into Spock's family. There was no way that if she was adopted by Sarek and Amanda, that Sarek would have been the one to help her with her emotional trauma. Amanda, a former teacher, would have been the one to take Michael under her wing, and would have helped her with Post-Traumatic Syndrome.
  • revanmichaels#6727 revanmichaels Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    Until 3 weeks ago I have watched zero episodes of Discovery. I’ve been playing STO for a year so when I was able to get access to CBS online and start watching Picard and Discovery I signed up.

Starting out I liked the back story or concert of Michael but after watching season 1 and half of season 2, yes she is getting on my nerves and I am fast forwarding half of her and stamits screen time. its like watching winey millennials
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I quite like Burnham, prefer Tilly and the doctor and my wife's fave is Saru.

I am of the opinion that Disco is marmite and people who do not like it are scrabbling for every and any reason to slag it off.
    Post edited by fallenkezef#4581 on
  • revanmichaels#6727 revanmichaels Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    > I quite like Burnham, prefer Tilly and the doctor and my wife's face is Saru.
    >
    > I am of the opinion that Disco is marmite and people who do not like it are scrabbling for every and any reason to slag it off.

Honestly I cannot tell you what it is about her. I wanted to give the show a chance, but there is just something about her bad acting or something that is just like watching fingernails scratching a board. I’m going to tuff it out and watch some more, but she may keep getting fast forwarded if this keeps up.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited March 2020
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    good grief man, you need to dial it way back with that stuff. /thread
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.