What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mudd's Market - Discussion and Feedback

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • garak74205garak74205 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I thought that this was discussion and feedback about Mudd's Market...?
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    Let's return to the original discussion about Mudd's Market. Otherwise, people will be modded and the thread might be closed down because of it.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Guys drop the political stuff and drop it now. If you folks want to discuss that stuff then there are other places to discuss it, and this forum is not one of them. If folks want to keep discussing Mudd's Market that's fine as long as yall keep it civil, but the political junk ends now.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • jakeesanjakeesan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Like i said on my own post, even if i were rich i wouldnt pay these moronic prices. Unreal. 130.00 USD for a ship? Where did you guys come up with this? It's so disgusting, i wont even buy the normal priced stuff. You deserve nothing for this. This is the most vile and disgusting market ive ever seen in ANY video game. Literally.

EDIT: I was just informed of the "joke" about the market. I get it. Even the humor aspect. But that means waiting for a sale. This is just some predatory attempt at getting you to log in every day in hopes you catch the item you want. If there is some ship i really want that looks so much better than the ones i can already get, what is my motivation for continuing to go through content with a ship i dont like? Why would i want to burn through content while im unhappy with my aesthetics and functions when i know something i want might not be available for a while? This is a bad practice.
  • oclosoclos Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    jakeesan wrote: »
    Like i said on my own post, even if i were rich i wouldnt pay these moronic prices. Unreal. 130.00 USD for a ship? Where did you guys come up with this? It's so disgusting, i wont even buy the normal priced stuff. You deserve nothing for this. This is the most vile and disgusting market ive ever seen in ANY video game. Literally.

EDIT: I was just informed of the "joke" about the market. I get it. Even the humor aspect. But that means waiting for a sale. This is just some predatory attempt at getting you to log in every day in hopes you catch the item you want. If there is some ship i really want that looks so much better than the ones i can already get, what is my motivation for continuing to go through content with a ship i dont like? Why would i want to burn through content while im unhappy with my aesthetics and functions when i know something i want might not be available for a while? This is a bad practice.

You do the content so the toon/alt gets the levels, so you reach top level and then redo the missions to get better versions of the equipment you liked. By then, you usually have assembled the zen, lobi or dilithium to do it with a better ship as well. Also lifetimer subscriptions often get a big discount every now and then on the subscription cost. Which gradually kinda pays for itself too, with all the benefits it provides, including but not limited to, monthly zen. There are apps out there that charge for cash every day if possible without anyway around it. I know people that have spend 1000's per month or week in an entire year. Neverwinter included to an extent(though there are astral diamonds that can be acquired, similar sources of currency in other apps ALSO have to be bought!)In a market of such aggressive monetizing policies - and by users too often[see Google and clickbait videos for instance] Cryptic can look almost like Saints a lot of the time and provides more for the user than any similar
    company I am aware of.

It's not perfect, but not a source for constant complaints I see posted a lot of the time either. If anything, I blaim the community more than the devs for many of the problems cause they keep complaining even if the devs do things almost perfectly(often those that haven't put a single dime in this do most of the complaining in the source of demands too, which I find troubling - at least they could be polite and ask. But it's probably the same people who used to criticize Roddenberry in various BBS' and now treat his legacy like a god if it proves their point of view that specific day). Star Trek has many fans, it is nearly impossible to keep them all happy. Yet, to a very big extent, STO has managed through the years. It also has more content than many other titles and retains a very good level graphics and mechanics wise. The only years I didn't enjoy being around where late 2014 to 2016. Before and after they seem to listen to an acceptable rate. This is also, I like to believe, CBS' policy, who percieves and rightfully so, STO customers, users and players as their own potential customers. STO helped greatly in years of almost no Trek at all to "keep the candle lit". We must not forget that.
    Adm. Necheyev didn't own ANY Starfleet ships. Starfleet did. Also she didn't make one bolt, connect a single wire, gelpack or device, or otherwise helped on making them. I find it presumptuous she claimed it was HER ships. In fact saying as much would probably warranty a reprimand from any of her superiors in Federation and possibly not participating in said actions as other superior personnel do, would in our days(2409 onwards) result in herself facing the same fate as what she has threatened, in that same penal colony.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    As has been said throughout topics related to F2P models here, STO is the most generous one around. You don't pay for content, you get several T6 ships just for performing a small task every day for a set time throughout the year, you get nice equipment sets as mission rewards or through reputation and you don't have to spend a dime if you don't want to.

Mudd's Market is designed around Harcourt Fenton Mudd from ToS. Just Google him to find out all you ever want to know about that rapscallion. The *original* prices are not meant to be taken seriously, they have a *sale* now and then where the prices drop to the equivalent, or just a bit more, of C-store prices. Most of what's in there was gotten from events and had been retired, never to be gotten again, so it's a way for new players to acquire them and not be left out. Some F2P games don't even offer that for event stuff, so this is a good thing they do.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • gundamt3#5701 gundamt3 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    The Concept of a market that provides the ability to gain things like Event Specific Ships, Gear and other special items is decent. But to purposefully stick an insanely high tag on those items is just a blatant attempt at grabbing for money in my opinion. At max, most things shouldn't go for more than 8000 zen at normal pricing. That way it's at least a decent attempt at making things purchasable without making it seem like price gouging. Just an opinion of course.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    They don't really expect people to pay the insanely high prices, those are just an homage to Mudd himself, who would probably charge such insane prices.

That's why there are 'sales' every now and then in there, where the prices drop to something more reasonable.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    They don't really expect people to pay the insanely high prices, those are just an homage to Mudd himself, who would probably charge such insane prices.

That's why there are 'sales' every now and then in there, where the prices drop to something more reasonable.

It is unlikely if/when some player pays one of those "insanely" non-sale Mudd prices Cryptic denies the purchase out of the goodness of their heart or refunds the difference from a sale price. That's why Cryptic priced it high but not an actual unachievable high price.

That, "They don't really expect people to pay the insanely high prices," rhetoric is weak-sauce & is untrue. Otherwise, there'd be sale prices then the non-sale prices would be some unattainable amount like 999,999 zen. Cryptic is hoping players will pay those higher prices so let us call it the cash grab that it is banking on the fear of missing out which Cryptic creates, nothing wrong with that, & not white-knight it.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    It is predatory marketing no matter how you look at it.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    It is predatory marketing no matter how you look at it.

No it is not predatory marketing. You decide to buy it at the sale or at full price. It is your decision.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited April 2020
    I'm wondering with the 60% sale instead of 80% that, that goes along with a general price reduction of items by 50%.

An 18,000 item at 80% off is 3,600. But by cutting the 'list' price to 9,000 instead, at a 60% off, the sale price is the same at 3,600. This, I would think that they believe, would cut down on all the 'predatory pricing', 'Muggs Market', yadda, yadda, yadda talk on the Boards and maintain their same margins. (Except for those few that bought at list price and they would be partially saved from themselves, a 'goodwill' gesture).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    I'm wondering with the 60% sale instead of 80% that, that goes along with a general price reduction of items by 50%.

An 18,000 item at 80% off is 3,600. But by cutting the 'list' price to 9,000 instead, at a 60% off, the sale price is the same at 3,600. This, I would think that they believe, would cut down on all the 'predatory pricing', 'Muggs Market', yadda, yadda, yadda talk on the Boards and maintain their same margins. (Except for those few that bought at list price and they would be partially saved from themselves, a 'goodwill' gesture).

Valid point & I think fair maneuver by Cryptic if true. It might wash away some or any of the negative perceptions. I guess wait & see what the price will be. I don't care what the price is until I'm deciding to buy something lol.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Corrosive Plasma seems to be a one and done item.

According to the write up, we should be able to get multiple corrosive plasma weapons to deck our ships, but there's no way of getting the one I got from the weapon box that went into my character's inventory after I got it from the Mudd's Market.
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    The pricing at 'Muggs Market' is ridiculous...dont cryptic want to make money? If the Benthan cruiser was 3000zen i would buy it. But 18k!!! what the hell....hey only 6800 on sale!!! dont be silly, thats just a nonsense. Ill keep my cash thanks. I really dont understand the cryptic business model....or the people who signed off on it....who the heck thought it was a good idea??
    lordbeefy7 wrote: »
    The pricing at 'Muggs Market' is ridiculous...dont cryptic want to make money? If the Benthan cruiser was 3000zen i would buy it. But 18k!!! what the hell....hey only 6800 on sale!!! dont be silly, thats just a nonsense. Ill keep my cash thanks. I really dont understand the cryptic business model....or the people who signed off on it....who the heck thought it was a good idea??

I too think the 6800 zen is too high but the space-whales will buy it regardless probably. I think Cryptic's pricing it more on hype than the value that the ship offers but that is subjective. I expected the price to be a bit more than 3k zen since it is an older ship & was never a pinnacle super popular ship even when it was released though it looks cool & this is account-wide. An easy pass for myself at this price for this item.

Corrosive Plasma seems to be a one and done item. According to the write up, we should be able to get multiple corrosive plasma weapons to deck our ships, but there's no way of getting the one I got from the weapon box that went into my character's inventory after I got it from the Mudd's Market.

That is concerning. I had read it as being for account-wide too. To me definitely not worth it IF only one & done for a character & seems expensive.

I had entertained the idea that with a 60% off Sale they were going to reduce the obviously ridiculous list prices by half permanently (see my post above). They really don't have a clue.

The other thing I noticed last night that all that displayed in the Mudd's Market Tab were the Bentham Crusier and two Event Ships, nothing else. The Corrosive Plasma Weapons and Prior's World Satellite were under the New Tab. All the Mudd's Market stuff was under the Sales Tab as well. Confusing.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • zeluthaszeluthas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Will the recently removed items return eventually? I was saving up for the "all about time" package, as I wanted to have those items on my newer alts and the FE rerun hasn't happened for years now. But now it's completely gone. I'm a bit disappointed, that Mudds market appears to capitalize on the fear of missing out...

EDIT: Disregard this. I found the package, it just has moved outside of Mudds store for some reason... Well, at least I didn't save up Zen for nothing then...
  • calford24calford24 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Corrosive Plasma seems to be a one and done item.

According to the write up, we should be able to get multiple corrosive plasma weapons to deck our ships, but there's no way of getting the one I got from the weapon box that went into my character's inventory after I got it from the Mudd's Market.

Are you sure you can't go back and claim the item again as many times as you want on all your characters? That's how it is with the Lorca armor, I logged into all my toons and claimed it over and over for all my Boff's. The Wiki says The Plasma pack has an infinite reclaim.

Edit* FYI, if you bought it under the sale tab, after the first claim, it will move to the Mudd's market > Space tab.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    zeluthas wrote: »
    Will the recently removed items return eventually? I was saving up for the "all about time" package, as I wanted to have those items on my newer alts and the FE rerun hasn't happened for years now. But now it's completely gone. I'm a bit disappointed, that Mudds market appears to capitalize on the fear of missing out...

EDIT: Disregard this. I found the package, it just has moved outside of Mudds store for some reason... Well, at least I didn't save up Zen for nothing then...
    The Mudd store now has tabs to sort the contents.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    zeluthas wrote: »

They messed up the Store Headings. Mudd's stuff now falls under Sale and the sale items are under the Mudd's heading for some reason.
    edited April 2020
    They also created sub-Tabs under Mudd's Market, which I didn't realize until pointed out by markhawkman in a different Thread.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    there's a sucker born every minute & a fool and their money is soon separated
    echatty wrote: »

It is unlikely if/when some player pays one of those "insanely" non-sale Mudd prices Cryptic denies the purchase out of the goodness of their heart or refunds the difference from a sale price. That's why Cryptic priced it high but not an actual unachievable high price.

That, "They don't really expect people to pay the insanely high prices," rhetoric is weak-sauce & is untrue. Otherwise, there'd be sale prices then the non-sale prices would be some unattainable amount like 999,999 zen. Cryptic is hoping players will pay those higher prices so let us call it the cash grab that it is banking on the fear of missing out which Cryptic creates, nothing wrong with that, & not white-knight it.

If they really wanted to price it so high that it wouldnt go thru... they need to price it in the tens or hundreds of thousands... they dont expect folks to buy it... but they hope a sucker will come along and do buy it.
    I hope this latest 60% Discount surpressed sales to almost non-existence. I thought that by only having a 60% Sale that was going to go hand-in-hand with a 50% permanent price cut. 60% on something half the price is the same end cost as 80% at full. By reducing the prices generally, they could have blunted much of the Ill-will and still maintained the same end pricing.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jayfresh11jayfresh11 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    I’m really glad you can now buy the EMH and also Geordi La Forge bridge officers, I’ve been wanting them for a while now and happy I was able to snag them. I really like the fact that they are account wide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    reyan01 wrote: »
    https://arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11435073?fbclid=IwAR036DFWVfoZtE2iql8Hf3eaQoWS4M59tGpalkx0dcpWTEI07782PugmLm4

Amarie and T6 Temporal ships (Verne class etc) now to be made available via Mudd's Market.

Another Mudd's Market rip off.

If you got all the things in the bundle, it would be a good deal at the 50% discounted price. However, since you can only choose 3, the bundle is only worth at most 4x3000=9000 zen, the equivalent of 4 T6 ships in the zen store, if you choose the ship coupons and two of the "special" ships.

Also, notice the "opening sales" keep going down: first 80%, then 60%, now 50%.
    Post edited by garaffe on
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    The question that raised in my head is, Can you buy the Choice package more than once so you can choose the ships you didn't in the first place?
This discussion has been closed.