test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ideas to make Obtaining Elite Marks Easier

sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
Because right now some elite marks (cough Competitive cough) are not easy to obtain due to not having a battlezone and the advanced and elite queues for them having almost no activity unless it's part of a universal endeavor. Also, the boxes obtained from completing the hourly and daily projects, while able to award elite marks, are too unreliable to be a good source. This leaves the once per day project that costs 100 regular marks as the only viable option for obtaining them. This, IMHO, is far too limiting. Therefore, here are some ideas I propose for making them easier to obtain.
  1. Raise or remove the once per day limit on the 100 regular marks for 1 elite mark project.
  2. Add a box that awards 1 elite mark of choice to the rewards for doing a Random TFO (advanced).
  3. Add the ability to buy the box from idea 2 in the mark trade in store at a net loss.
I'm leaning towards the last idea because, due to not being a perfect 1:1 ratio, it would be a sink for the elite marks that are easy to farm (cough Omega cough).
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    or.... just have it give the elite marks that correspond to the type of normal marks someone chooses from the available selections, and give double the elite marks if they select the one that corresponds to the TFO type. That way if you want, say, Iconian Balls (I honestly don't keep track of what they're called) you can get them from any advanced or elite TFO from which you select Iconian Marks, or if you run an Iconian TFO you can collect them even faster.

If people select Fleet Marks then they get no elite marks.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Elite marks are pretty easy to obtain. Some more than others like the OP said. The time-gating of less available elite marks like competitive isn't much of an issue IMO. Since you need to level your competitive rep up to at least Tier 5 anyway, it will take more days to level up than you will need to get the elite marks you need.

For instance, I wanted 10 competitive elite marks per character to get the innervated shield and engines on all characters. During the rep leveling process (20-40 days), I just did whatever event was going on at the time that granted any marks. Either crystalline, BBS, The Breach etc and had plenty of marks to turn into elite marks. And I had plenty of days that I had to wait anyway since I was leveling my reputation to actually buy that gear.

In the end, I don't think this is necessary. It's already easy to get everything that you need from reputations. But if you think things need to be made even easier for some reason, then the OP has some good ideas.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    If people select Fleet Marks then they get no elite marks.

Which is one of the reasons I made option 2 be a separate choice box.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    They need more Dilithium Sinks anyway.. one of the perks at T6 rep should be the ability to just buy Elite Marks for Dilithium.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    They need more Dilithium Sinks anyway.. one of the perks at T6 rep should be the ability to just buy Elite Marks for Dilithium.

This caught my attention, a fantastic idea.

gHF1ABR.jpg
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited March 2020

The purchase price would have to be the same as trade in price. Which would be what, 1 mark for 1000dil?

And while I like the idea. That's not much of a dil sink. You can take elites and swap them back for the same price. So you're not losing anything with it.

On this it might be better to do a 5 pack Elite Choice mark for 50K dil in the dil store. Then you're only getting 15 elite marks, of your choosing, but can't swap them back out to regain the purchase cost. Even if you do this at a 25k dil cost, the player is still short 10K dil if they try to trade them back in.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Don't they usually gyp us on purchases vs sale, for example Recycle EC payout vs EC purchase price. I'm thinking they'll probably go with 2,000 or 2,500 Dilitium per.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Don't they usually gyp us on purchases vs sale, for example Recycle EC payout vs EC purchase price. I'm thinking they'll probably go with 2,000 or 2,500 Dilitium per.

Can't remember, I seldom buy anything with ec any more. Might buy some white ship shields for a gain salvage endeavor, or the occasional regenerator or ship parts. Most of my ec is spent on the exchange.

But with the purchase cost, I see we're thinking along the same lines.

However, with this, the elite marks aren't hard to obtain for Comp rep. Just time consuming, since the tfos aren't popular. For me, there's nothing in that rep that I actually want, other than to get the armor appearance. So, I just use my choice mark packs to get comp marks, then spend 15 days getting the elites with just buying the from the rep.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Disagree. They are too easy to get as it is.

The fact majority of the game content is "not popular" is a failing of the reward incentives. They should remove the dumb buyout projects, players would play the content if there wasn't a cop-out alternative to get the rewards.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    I never heard anybody to have problems to get Borg neural processors.

The respective currencies from other reputs keep on getting mentioned. PvE maps from other reputation systems should be closed and re-designed to make its rewards as acquirable as Borg neural processors.

Problem solved.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    warpangel wrote: »

The fact majority of the game content is "not popular" is a failing of the reward incentives. They should remove the dumb buyout projects, players would play the content if there wasn't a cop-out alternative to get the rewards.

While we can agree on the removal part. I don't think it would help to much, in the played area. The comp maps, like beach assault are not part of the random TFO system. So you have to manually queue for them. Which hardly anyone does, so the comp elite buying really is the best way to get them. right now. Sure, it would mean that people would play them. It would just put the queue times in as a rare occurrence instead very rare to ultra rare.

If you joined the simulation, simulation(fed), and/or simulation(kdf) chat channels, you'd see that even those are barely done any more. These started dying off when they removed the ec price from the provisions and players could no longer sell them.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    After the problem a few months back where TFOs and BZs were awarding Marks or Elite Marks, they fixed it but left the Kobali BZ end two Missions with either Iconian or Delta but not both per run as itwwas before the Marks/Elite Marks kerfuffle.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »

While we can agree on the removal part. I don't think it would help to much, in the played area. The comp maps, like beach assault are not part of the random TFO system. So you have to manually queue for them. Which hardly anyone does, so the comp elite buying really is the best way to get them. right now. Sure, it would mean that people would play them. It would just put the queue times in as a rare occurrence instead very rare to ultra rare.
    If people want the rewards, they would play the content. And if people don't want the rewards, well then it doesn't matter either way. In that case, I suppose the problem would be Cryptic not making the rewards desireable enough.

But people certainly aren't going to play the content as long as buying the reward is the best way to get it. In that case, the content might as well not even exist.
    If you joined the simulation, simulation(fed), and/or simulation(kdf) chat channels, you'd see that even those are barely done any more. These started dying off when they removed the ec price from the provisions and players could no longer sell them.
    Exactly. Reward incentives lost there, too. Nobody needs that much provisions, fleet coffers get full and they become useless waste of inventory. Same happened to fleet marks years ago, too much supply not enough use. I remember when my fleet would organize runs of the fleet queues to fill the projects. Now flarks are garbage that people can't get rid of fast enough.

More uniqueness and diversity to the reward incentives is needed to give people reason to play.
  • drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    On the competitive part. Most people despise mmorpg PvP. Its always got a reputation as being so badly balanced that you need a build specific for it to even have a snowflakes chance in a volcano of winning in the first place. And its not fun auto losing to someone whos toon is specifically made for it.

And smart people play other genres for PvP. Like shooters or rts or fighting games(yes there is a ton of depth to fighting games from frames and attack distances/stances/ect. Its why you see a meta there to yet they are far better balanced usually). Sto is an mmorpg that kind of disqualifies its PvP for most in an instant.

Second, I'm not a fan of time gating. Time gating the rep progress itself was always a nuisance but can see why. Elite marks, I see no excuse. And competitive impulse is essential to keep up with a lot of other players in random tfos.

So I can see why people would like it if elite marks are easier to earn. Some of the content for them sucks.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    laughinxan wrote: »
    On the competitive part. Most people despise mmorpg PvP. Its always got a reputation as being so badly balanced that you need a build specific for it to even have a snowflakes chance in a volcano of winning in the first place. And its not fun auto losing to someone whos toon is specifically made for it.
    Considering the only pvp part in Competitive's queues is "first team to finish, win", I don't even consider them PvP.
    It's a race between two teams, simple as that.
    And while, yes, you can try and make it harder for the other team - by spawning more enemies in their lane, for example, or by "transforming" into a drone and beaming over to the other lane to fight them - most of the time the teams don't even interact.

There's also another couple of Elite Marks that could do with a "boost", so to speak:
    - Gamma, especially because the reward for doing the Battlezone, if you can even call it a Battlezone, are extremely underwhelming;
    - Lukari, because the queues don't start as frequently as others, (and finishing "Gravity Kills" is a pain in the TRIBBLE most of the time, what with people leaving or simply pew-pewing instead of getting the particles) and the Battlezone is a nightmare. Last time I was in there, it took us one hour to complete it and no Protomatter Microcontainer in sight.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    yea you know, its super easy to get the elite tokens usualy. doesnt take more than a few advanced maps, and most of them will pop because of the rtfo system.
    for competitive elite marks => binary circuit elite and promote them in several pve related channels ingame. usualy take a few minutes but its possible to start them.
    if i would remove the limitation to one token per day via rep i would drastically increase the amount of marks needed. so like 500 marks per token. and than you could get them all you want directly ;)
    Considering the only pvp part in Competitive's queues is "first team to finish, win", I don't even consider them PvP.
    And while, yes, you can try and make it harder for the other team - by spawning more enemies in their lane, for example, or by "transforming" into a drone and beaming over to the other lane to fight them - most of the time the teams don't even interact.

There's also another couple of Elite Marks that could do with a "boost", so to speak:
    - Gamma, especially because the reward for doing the Battlezone, if you can even call it a Battlezone, are extremely underwhelming;
    - Lukari, because the queues don't start as frequently as others, (and finishing "Gravity Kills" is a pain in the TRIBBLE most of the time, what with people leaving or simply pew-pewing instead of getting the particles) and the Battlezone is a nightmare. Last time I was in there, it took us one hour to complete it and no Protomatter Microcontainer in sight.​​

For gamma battlezone, that one can actually pay pretty well on the elite marks. This is actually participation based. If you open the map in gamma, you'll see the battlezone progress bars. Under them should be a fourth bar, this is the participation bar. The more you participate in the gamma bz. the higher this bars get, and the more rewards you collect after the final stage is done.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited March 2020
    For the Gamma BZ
    Xs4ouHi.jpg

Max Rewards
    OSD3VEw.jpg?1

This is on top of everything else you earn there.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    There's a large discrepancy on the amount of content that awards each type of mark.
    Some reputations have many options available, some have very few or even just one source of Mark.
    Whilst I don't agree that there needs to be easier ways to obtain the elite marks, there needs to be some additional ways to farm some of the mark types made available.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/

- Lukari, because the queues don't start as frequently as others, (and finishing "Gravity Kills" is a pain in the TRIBBLE most of the time, what with people leaving or simply pew-pewing instead of getting the particles) and the Battlezone is a nightmare. Last time I was in there, it took us one hour to complete it and no Protomatter Microcontainer in sight.

For gamma battlezone, that one can actually pay pretty well on the elite marks. This is actually participation based. If you open the map in gamma, you'll see the battlezone progress bars. Under them should be a fourth bar, this is the participation bar. The more you participate in the gamma bz. the higher this bars get, and the more rewards you collect after the final stage is done.

Thank you for explaining how it works... I would never have guessed otherwise! /sarcasm

It's still not a Battlezone and the rewards are still underwhelming.
    Why they thought this was a good idea is beside me. I'm all for participation based rewards, but they could've done it with an open map, instead of forcing people to queue multiple times for the same damn queue... for more than one sector if you want to actually go home with something more than a handful of dilithium and a few marks.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

- Lukari, because the queues don't start as frequently as others, (and finishing "Gravity Kills" is a pain in the TRIBBLE most of the time, what with people leaving or simply pew-pewing instead of getting the particles) and the Battlezone is a nightmare. Last time I was in there, it took us one hour to complete it and no Protomatter Microcontainer in sight.

Thank you for explaining how it works... I would never have guessed otherwise! /sarcasm

Why they thought this was a good idea is beside me. I'm all for participation based rewards, but they could've done it with an open map, instead of forcing people to queue multiple times for the same damn queue... for more than one sector if you want to actually go home with something more than a handful of dilithium and a few marks.​​

You can get all your Comp Marks by picking random queues. Because of RNG, they reward multi-marks packs.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Finally a USEFUL Dilithium sink idea! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited March 2020
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Why they thought this was a good idea is beside me. I'm all for participation based rewards, but they could've done it with an open map, instead of forcing people to queue multiple times for the same damn queue... for more than one sector if you want to actually go home with something more than a handful of dilithium and a few marks.

You can get all your Comp Marks by picking random queues. Because of RNG, they reward multi-marks packs.

Cool, too bad we were talking about ELITE marks and the Gamma Battlezone.
    But go off, I guess.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

'A bit sarcastic' yourself, it seems. Who'd have thunk it?! :p
    Cool, too bad we were talking about ELITE marks and the Gamma Battlezone.
    But go off, I guess.​​

Now who's being rude and insulting?! Medice, cura te ipsum!

And were we talking about the Gamma BZ?! Really?! Because the OP only said 'right now some elite marks (cough Competitive cough) are not easy to obtain due to not having a battlezone'. And ELITE Marks can be obtained by trading regular ones in for them. Not at a particularly high rate, but your Gamma Battlezone ain't gonna change that. Best bet is still doing random TFO's, and the trade-in. Or actually do the PvP-queues (problems with those the OP already spoke of: namely, they don't pop enough).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited March 2020
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And were we talking about the Gamma BZ?! Really?! Because the OP only said 'right now some elite marks (cough Competitive cough) are not easy to obtain due to not having a battlezone'. And ELITE Marks can be obtained by trading regular ones in for them. Not at a particularly high rate, but your Gamma Battlezone ain't gonna change that. Best bet is still doing random TFO's, and the trade-in. Or actually do the PvP-queues (problems with those the OP already spoke of: namely, they don't pop enough).

This is the post you quoted

Why they thought this was a good idea is beside me. I'm all for participation based rewards, but they could've done it with an open map, instead of forcing people to queue multiple times for the same damn queue... for more than one sector if you want to actually go home with something more than a handful of dilithium and a few marks.
    in which I was talking about the Gamma Battlezone and answering a post talking about the same thing.
    We all know that you can "trade regular marks for Elite marks", as the OP clearly said - even going so far as to propose a raise or removal of the "only once per day" limit.
    And indeed, this thread contains suggestions on how make it easier to obtain certain kind of elite marks.
    While the OP spoke clearly about the Competitive Elite Marks and the difficulty of obtaining them, particularly compared to Borg Neuralprocessor, I pointed out that there are a couple more type that could to with a "boost".
    So, I used a thread titled "ideas to make obtaining elite marks easier" to speak about... elite marks that could really be granted in more ways than they currently are, thus making "obtaining" them "easier".

And if you think that "but go off, I guess" is rude and insulting... well then: go off, I guess.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

OK, the bickering in here reminds me of this ;)

https://youtu.be/kl-Y8ZkUenk
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Second, I'm not a fan of time gating. Time gating the rep progress itself was always a nuisance but can see why. Elite marks, I see no excuse.

Timegating Elite Marks, I suppose, is just Cryptic's passive-aggressive way of keeping you playing the game (instead of just trading in the Marks). At least, that would make a modicum of sense for Comp Marks, as one can readily see how one would wish to avoid the semi-PvP queues. But for other rep Marks?! Like was said, who's ever been in dire need of Borg neural processors? Like no one. And yet the same timegate exists for those. So, overall, these timegates are kinda silly.

And then there's the irony of putting you on cd when you actually *do* try and queue up (thus play the game). Go figure. :p

In one of the earlier Events, right around when the Comp rep came to be, I gathered around 6,000 Comp Marks, doing that one Event alone. And had literally all Comp space gear (and variations of some equipment) by the time the Event ended. So, it's quite possible, doing it with the trade-ins alone, like I did. You get 5 already from reaching Tier 5 of the rep (and maybe a few inbetween, when the RNG gods love you). And I was simply doing the daily trade-ins, while going towards Tier 5 of the rep.

Still, no reason to timegate them. Especially since Cryptic is allegedly looking for Dilithium sinks. And you'd think that players buying much rep gear helps with that.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.