test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Return to the Battle at the Binary Stars!

sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
What does everyone think of recycling this event? Personally, I'd much rather now fight the Battle near Xahea, the same battle where the Dot-7 drone being offered as a prize was actually introduced.

The altering of the dil reward merits attention as well, increasing the initial reward but decreasing the amount by which it's incremented daily. Before, it started at 2,500 and was incremented by that much, daily up to a maximum of 25,000. Now, it starts at 8,000 and goes up by 1,000 with no end cap.

I've been running the numbers, and this is what I've come up with: for the first 8 days, the new system comes out slightly ahead in the total of dilithium ore awarded. Days 9-12, the previous system comes out on top in terms of the total amount of ore awarded, but because the previous system maxes out at 25,000 per day, from day 13 onwards the new system resumes the lead. So even though you won't reach the 25,000 per day mark until day 18, you're still getting more overall unless you finish 9-12 days after collecting the reward.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    For a long discussion of the dil reward change, see: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1254078/so-from-now-on-events-reward-you-with-less-dillithium#latest

Recycling: Cryptic can only create so much new content a year. A new TFO would've been nice, but we just had one along with the two-part story episode so I'm fine with it.
  • colonelsanderzcolonelsanderz Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Im just bummed that Im not getting the spore cannisters when I run this TFO on advanced...
    ?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    And since neither weapons nor pets are given the same treatment the gimmick is complete nonsense.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    True though I do get some enjoyment from my DSC Connie looking like non-carrier ship of that era. That said the "DSC ship transforms into a DSC ship" is rather silly and it would be nice if they could exclude those skins.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    True though I do get some enjoyment from my DSC Connie looking like non-carrier ship of that era. That said the "DSC ship transforms into a DSC ship" is rather silly and it would be nice if they could exclude those skins.

:D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    it is a bit of an odd choice, space barbie is a huuuge part of the game for some people. and the entire battle is specificly said to be a simulation anyway.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I think it would've been more inspired to limit the mission to require flying a real disco-era ship if that was the goal, instead of overwriting your ship graphics for no reason.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I admit it surprised me when my Alliance Battlecruiser turned into a Nebula-class. Other than that, I enjoyed the TFO as I hadn't played it before.

Still, playing it over five accts (my two + three family members [gotta get them a free ship token too ;)]) I enjoyed them all. It only takes me a little over an hour to do them all.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The pew pew is fun, but space barbie. Forcing us into the ugliest ships in the game to fight equally ugly ships is not fun.

It also locks out fleet support, which is "fun" when I do run a character with the command spec trait and realize I'm actually only running 3 traits in that battle. I'm not sure but I think it may also prevent the ship from the section 31 trait from showing up too, which would actually be absurd.
  • nasedo0nasedo0 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    For a long discussion of the dil reward change, see: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1254078/so-from-now-on-events-reward-you-with-less-dillithium#latest

Recycling: Cryptic can only create so much new content a year. A new TFO would've been nice, but we just had one along with the two-part story episode so I'm fine with it.

Sounds like to me they need a bigger team, stop running on a skeleton crew
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    What bothers me about this mission is that you don't actually start to get any experience until the latter part of it, meaning you're pew pewing for quite some time before you ever start to actually get any credit for anything you do.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Done it two days now. Trying to imagine how I can hold on for another 12. But that's true for me with any particular TFO. Haven't had much success yet with any of these 14-day events.

It's helping me get Disco marks on my alts that haven't done it yet, though.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Just as boring as I remember it. I've only ever played this queue when it's been an event. And yeah, having to sit thru the cutscenes and the time gates... ugh. The things we go thru to get free stuff.

Though to be honest here, I think regardless what queue they made use of for the event, after 14 days of it, I would be complaining about the repetitive nature of it anyway. Now, if it were opened to ANY of the Disco queues and we got to pick, I could at least break the monotony by not running the same one day after day. Unsure why they didn't do that this time around.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    This tfo is boring, it is just a pew pew party ( I'm starting to hate this part of the game) with too many timegates. honestly, I don't know if I would have the courage to do it more than 14 times; currently after 2 days i'm already tired by all these events. I'm not sure that even the possibility of earning lobi, a T6 ship will be enough, to keep me playing at this tfos, and the next ones.

too many events kill the events.
    Post edited by sennahcherib on
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    this is pure time gate... also advanced does not award elite marks at all. might as well just do basic version. go on follow and set weapons to auto fire... come back 10 mins?
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    go on follow and set weapons to auto fire... come back 10 mins?

Feels like closer to 20, but yeah.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Personally, I HATE this mission. I mean the pew pew part of it is fine and quite fun actually. I hate that I can't use the ship skin I wanna use. They really should just get rid of that aspect for this map.
    Yeah - I know the mechanics of it are impossible to overcome, but I must admit it does irk me when my Discovery era ship is 'transformed' into another Discovery era ship.....
    Have you tried playing it in something WTF huge like a Vonph or a Sarcophagus.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    But, but, there's no cooldown, so you can run this over and over and over and over and over again (but only once per 20 hours for progress).

And this is from the same people that said that players just hated rerunning a Featured Episode twice more for the rest of a Set.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Personally, I HATE this mission. I mean the pew pew part of it is fine and quite fun actually. I hate that I can't use the ship skin I wanna use. They really should just get rid of that aspect for this map.

Yeah - I know the mechanics of it are impossible to overcome, but I must admit it does irk me when my Discovery era ship is 'transformed' into another Discovery era ship.....

yeah, I was like wtf what happened to my SHIP :o
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

On the upshot, there's no longer any denying Cryptic could add a ship-visual slot for our existing ships, if they wanted to. Obviously there are no technical impediments for it, whatsoever.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

On the upshot, there's no longer any denying Cryptic could add a ship-visual slot for our existing ships, if they wanted to. Obviously there are no technical impediments for it, whatsoever.

Yes, there are no technical impediments, but there is still possibly a fair amount of work.

Right now they have code to switch all player ships to one specific skin, which they've used since Night of the Comet. They also have the code to let specific ships take on other specific skins that are unlocked for it.

They'd still need to expand the tailor logic to allow every skin for every ship you own (with some limitations, like not using T1 Connie with other T5U+ unless you own a T6 Connie), plus create a matrix of what parts can be mixed and matched across different ship skins.

I'd really like to be able to use any ship skin with any ship. I hate the look of recent KDF ships like the squished Qugh and the double-sausage from Discovery, but if I could use a classic KDF ship skin I could fly them.
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User

Yes, it must be absolutely arduous to put together these space TFOs that have the cookie-cutter scripted complexity of a beginner's Foundry mission. At the rate new content is produced they must have about 5 people, two of which just fetch coffee and give shoulder rubs.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    And since neither weapons nor pets are given the same treatment the gimmick is complete nonsense.

some vanity shields and normal rep shields are not hidden (terran shield for example).
  • scorpwanna#3529 scorpwanna Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    I agree with a lot of you about it being boring as hell. When the simulation is paused, I think the weapons fire should be halted as well (suspended in space).
  • saipan2saipan2 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    as a Klingon i hate the fact i fight my own people
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    Whatever happened to getting multiple ways to do an Event? I liked that particular change, but now it's back to "Grind the same thing 14 days in a row..." - joy.

(And yes, I know I could skip it, but yeah, I want the reward of the 4 part Event, and the only way to do that it do the Events as presented - and no, I don't want to waste Zen on a buyout.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    saipan2 wrote: »
    as a Klingon i hate the fact i fight my own people
    I know, it's so out of character for Klingons to fight it out when they have a disagreement. they should totally sit down, calmly discuss their differances thats the Klingon way right?
    1d7b5v.jpg

This discussion has been closed.