test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Visual Slot: Weapons

kommodore#9003 kommodore Member Posts: 12 Arc User
I have returned to STO after a long hiatus and am thoroughly enjoying the game again; however, I do have one major quibble. I specifically chose Polaron Space weapons due to the awesome purple color. After leveling up a few new reputations and gathering stronger Polaron Cannons for my bug I am now shooting out large whitish-blue bubbles instead of tight purple burst. This has caused me much frustration as I was working for a new Polaron but the color changed significantly.

Instead of calling for a revamp of the newer weapons (which some may enjoy) I am going to ask is there a way we could control the look of our weapons (or just the color even) by way of the new visual slots? Maybe a Cannon, Beam, Torpedo slot for the fore and rear of the ship.

Just a thought,
Kommodore ~ Career Officer

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    As of right now... no.
    Not only has weapon customization been nixed by CBS, I believe that is covered in the FCT or somewhere, it is also how players can determine what is being shot at them.

The subject has come up many times, and the answer has always been the same.
    However... there is nothing stopping you from making a functional theme build. The only time you're really gonna see mixed colors is if you're trying to get the absolute most out of a build and are using multiple set pieces that may not visually match, for example having the Nausicaan set and Terran Taskforce set for a Disruptor beam build combined with Spiral Wave Disruptors.
    But theme builds are still functional. I've actually got a couple builds that don't use every last piece of gear to augment the damage types. A Kelvin Phaser build on my Kelvin Connie can still do just fine in TFOs like Infected and Starbase 1.

So really if you're not happy with something... try going for pieces that visually match what you're looking for and upgrade those. You may lose set bonuses, but if you're more interested in how it looks, set bonuses may not be as necessary. Also any damage boosts tend to come from 2 set bonuses rather than full set bonuses anyways so being able to mix and match is a thing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Sadly they've said no to visual slots, to morphing individual weapons, to any form of unifying weapons :(

All you can do is find matching weapons, for example inhibiting polaron or morphagenic polaron from the Home episode, and use only the non-weapon parts of other non-matching sets.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    it is also how players can determine what is being shot at them.

Given how many different variants there are of every weapon type, the amount of visual fireworks going off in general, and the overall lack of pvp action these days... that's not the most meaningful argument.

Them saying "no, it's not going to happen," on the other hand, is pretty compelling. ;)
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    major quibble.

[/quote]

Perfect description of polaron weapons. Real men use Antiproton. Just kidding
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    AP was so years ago. ;)

I can tell you that in Lord of the Rings Online, when you go into the PvMP area, the Free People's are visually set to their equipped armor and weapons, regardless of the cosmetic armor they may be have been displaying.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    From twitter last night:
    I guess that Polaron has always been purple on screen doesn't matter. C'est la vie... I'll get over it but it's still disappointing.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    From twitter last night:
    I guess that Polaron has always been purple on screen doesn't matter. C'est la vie... I'll get over it but it's still disappointing.

Yeah its pretty ridiculous. None of my polaron boats look like polaron boats. They look like they are shooting skittles because of the different sets they use. Taste the rainbow. Phasers can be pretty bad too.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Does anyone know the color of:

*Elite Fleet Dranuur Polaron Dual Heavy Cannons
    *Wide Arc Polaron Dual Heavy Cannons
    *Protonic Polaron Dual Heavy Cannons
    *Advanced Temporal Defense Polaron Dual Heavy Cannons
    *Advanced Thoron Infused Polaron Dual Heavy Cannons

Thanks
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Wide Arc Polaron is the crafted right? Should be standard Polaron Purple.
    I believe Protonic has a bit of blue mixed into the purple.
    Not sure on the Temporal Rep Polaron as standard Temporal Rep Chroniton is rainbow.
    Advanced Thoron Polaron is most likely some variant of yellow, as I believe standard Thoron Polaron is Yellow.
    The icons for the weapons MAY give a clue as to the color too.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    The right-hand side has a list of types, with tiny visuals for many - https://sto.gamepedia.com/Polaron_weapons_(space)

This video is out of date but has almost everything available up through mid-2018, nicely labeled - https://youtu.be/5BZa_gFAMqA
  • Options
    Thanks for the video :smile:
This discussion has been closed.