test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bill Shatner as Capttain Kirk

grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
So today I read a article about a interview of Bill Shatner. He was asked if he would ever reprise his role again as Captain Kirk if it ever came up. He said that he would never do it again. You would think a series that put him on the map career wise, he would jump at it. Now I have never been a huge fan of Shatner outside of Star Trek. Mind you the only performance besides Star Trek he did that was good was in the original Twilight Zone. Everything else he is terrible. He can't sing and he's not a real good actor. What is everyone's thoughts on it.
Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I think the world of William Shatner. But he’s been passed up so many times or given the shaft, I can understand why he’s decided not to revisit the role...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Via William Shatner’s Twitter: “🙄 What was any different about my statement on Kirk that I haven’t said before? 🤷🏼‍♂️ I don’t do cameos (that one stretches back to 2008 & JJ) Kirk’s story is well told out of any other captain’s story. Kirk died in Generations. What is really left? Adventures in the ribbon?”
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Shatner blocked the STO Twitter profile so there's that. I thought he did well in Boston Legal. Rene Auberjonois did well too and even Armin Shimmerman was in at least one episode as a judge. I had hoped for a scene to develop as such. Rene plays the part of an attorney arguing his case to Shimmerman, and suddenly Rene grumbles "Quuuaaarrkkk!" Sadly, it didn't happen, but the show does have several nice Trek references.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    yeah I don't see this as any grand revealation Shatner is being realistic, there's no ROOM to do say.... a kirk series Ala Picard (unless CBS basicly canonized the shatner trek novels... and I doubt there is any intreast in doing that) and he'd want a meaty role, he doesn't want some clever camo. he'd feel thats insulting to himself, his fans, the actors in the series he's doing a cameo in (to implication they need him to show up to boost their ratings)..
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Some things must come to a natural conclusion. The Kirk story has been told and told well but it's over.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I understand why he thinks this way. It is his choice to do so. I also do not think anyone should be upset or disappointed by Shatner choosing to not play James Kirk just one more time.

Bashing him publicly is very bad form, OP. I expect better from my fellow Star Trek fans
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    I follow Shatner's twitter feed, and I honestly get the impression that he's just busy. He's also getting really old, which limits him to basically doing things he immediately chooses to do. The fact that he's still attending gatherings all across the planet and still engaging (and arguing) with people on an almost endless basis is something I find completely fascinating about the man. He's created a legend of himself so that whenever I hear the name Shatner, I think of Kirk. When I hear Chris Pine, I think Chris Pine. No one will ever encapsulate a character as well as Shatner did Kirk, so that they're almost interchangeable. And I'm thankful for him and his role. We probably wouldn't be here on this forum today if it had not been for his embodiment of that original character.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Shatner is 88 years old. Even if he agreed to play Kirk one last time, what could he possibly be? Some old admiral in an office? A retiree living in a mountain cabin? It would be nothing like what he used to be. I understand how this prospect wouldn't appeal to him.
  • Options
    mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    I agree Kirk's story has been told, there isn't anywhere left to take the character.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    I would not mind William Shatner taking on his former role as James T. Kirk for the TOS faction but otherwise I have no problem with him not wanting to do that.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Has Been is good music, even if you have no idea who Shatner is. Ben Folds did a great job backing up Shatner and bringing in people like Aimee Mann, Joe Jackson, Henry Rollins, Brad Paisley to work with him. Young folks might dismiss it for the lack of autotune though.

It's too bad Cryptic couldn't get him for the TOS expansion, but that's the only place where he'd have fit into the game.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    monodoso wrote: »
    So today I read a article about a interview of Bill Shatner. He was asked if he would ever reprise his role again as Captain Kirk if it ever came up. He said that he would never do it again. You would think a series that put him on the map career wise, he would jump at it. Now I have never been a huge fan of Shatner outside of Star Trek. Mind you the only performance besides Star Trek he did that was good was in the original Twilight Zone. Everything else he is terrible. He can't sing and he's not a real good actor. What is everyone's thoughts on it.

Patrick Stewart said the SAME thing WRT the character of Jean-Luc Picard (and at first turned down Alex Kurtzman and Co.); however, once he got a treatment he liked - he said "Yes"; and we now have "Star Trek: Picard".

Like anything, "No" only means "No" until:

- The money's right (IE too good to pass up).

- The actor sees something in the new pitched take on the character/story that he personally likes.

- Some combo of the above two factors.

szim wrote: »
    Shatner is 88 years old. Even if he agreed to play Kirk one last time, what could he possibly be? Some old admiral in an office? A retiree living in a mountain cabin? It would be nothing like what he used to be. I understand how this prospect wouldn't appeal to him.

How about some old Admiral on a Tramp Freighter, out saving the Universe...oh, wait... ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    Remember when Sean Connery said he'd "never" do another Bond movie? They literally ended up naming his comeback movie Never Say Never Again....

That said... it has literally been over 20 years since he played the character (in Generations) and he was killed off then. If he doesn't want to come back to it on-screen, that's perfectly understandable. And as for in-game, Cryptic would have to pay him, and considering that none of the series leads are in game, I have a feeling that's beyond the budget they are willing to pay.

I get what you're saying but WRT series "Leads":

Leonard Nimoy (Spock) has been in since launch (Although yes, CBS/Paramount probably helped cover the cost of him).

And, (whether or not you like the show); Sonequa Martain Green who plays the lead character of "Michael Burnham" in Star Trek Discovery did VO for the new STO 10th Anniversary episodes.

So yeah, Cryptic has managed to get one Lead actor on their own at this point in the life of the game. That said, a previous STO CM (Branflakes) posted something on William Shatner's Twitter Feed years ago that Mr. Shatner didn't care for, effectively ending any chance Cryptic had of getting him to do anything for STO.
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    Remember when Sean Connery said he'd "never" do another Bond movie? They literally ended up naming his comeback movie Never Say Never Again....

That said... it has literally been over 20 years since he played the character (in Generations) and he was killed off then. If he doesn't want to come back to it on-screen, that's perfectly understandable. And as for in-game, Cryptic would have to pay him, and considering that none of the series leads are in game, I have a feeling that's beyond the budget they are willing to pay.

I get what you're saying but WRT series "Leads":

Leonard Nimoy (Spock) has been in since launch (Although yes, CBS/Paramount probably helped cover the cost of him).

And, (whether or not you like the show); Sonequa Martain Green who plays the lead character of "Michael Burnham" in Star Trek Discovery did VO for the new STO 10th Anniversary episodes.

So yeah, Cryptic has managed to get one Lead actor on their own at this point in the life of the game. That said, a previous STO CM (Branflakes) posted something on William Shatner's Twitter Feed years ago that Mr. Shatner didn't care for, effectively ending any chance Cryptic had of getting him to do anything for STO.

Neither of those was the lead character of the series. (I would use the term "captain", except there's the whole Sisko situation.)

If you want to extend it to the category you're mentioning here, there's actually several more examples.

For Discovery they have Tilly, Stamets, Burnham and Lorca so I think you have count that as the leads.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I agree with him, probably best if Kirk stays dead...
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Patrick Stewart could return to JL because the character wasn’t killed off.
    Sean Connery could return to Bond because he wasn’t killed off.
    These situations don’t exist for Shatner and Kirk.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    khan5000 wrote: »

Sure it can happen for William Shatner / Kirk. We have time travel missions all over the place in STO. Kirk may have been killed off in Generations, but what's to stop a mission sending us back into say, TOS era and interact with Kirk?

The Lorca we know in Discovery did get whacked in the show, but here we are in STO and we worked for him in a couple missions because it predated him getting killed.

In addition, there have been more missions now using holodeck simulations as a way of telling a story.

Now, whether Cryptic, Shatner want to do this, or more likely Cryptic putting the money for this venture, that's probably a whole different story. I'm sure in the past years the idea of getting Shatner involved, especially for an anniversary event, has probably arisen among Cryptic's people. But for various reasons it just isn't happening.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    The question is: Does Shatner think he can get away with his 60's style of acting without making an absolute fool of himself?
    If his answer to said question is "No, i cannot get away with it" then i am happy to stand by his decision to stay away from further acting jobs.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    questerius wrote: »
    The question is: Does Shatner think he can get away with his 60's style of acting without making an absolute fool of himself?
    If his answer to said question is "No, i cannot get away with it" then i am happy to stand by his decision to stay away from further acting jobs.

It's...Not!...a 60s style. IT'S. a Shatner style!

I can't recall anyone else on TOS using the same style. Or any other actor on any show ever except to parody him.

https://youtu.be/yqf04PAeFnE
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    khan5000 wrote: »

Right because in the 23rd century, there's NO WAY Kirk could be pulled out of the Nexus for a time, then sent back...oh, wait... ;)
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    Now I have never been a huge fan of Shatner outside of Star Trek. Mind you the only performance besides Star Trek he did that was good was in the original Twilight Zone. Everything else he is terrible. He can't sing and he's not a real good actor..

As a graduate of the Institute for Toupological Studies and Archbishop of the Church of Shatnerology, I find your remarks quite blasphemous. May the heavens open up and lightning smite you from above.

Shoo, go and watch reruns of TekWar while retaining whatever sanity you have left.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Now I have never been a huge fan of Shatner outside of Star Trek. Mind you the only performance besides Star Trek he did that was good was in the original Twilight Zone. Everything else he is terrible. He can't sing and he's not a real good actor..

As a graduate of the Institute for Toupological Studies and Archbishop of the Church of Shatnerology, I find your remarks quite blasphemous. May the heavens open up and lightning smite you from above.

That is funny
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    questerius wrote: »

It's...Not!...a 60s style. IT'S. a Shatner style!

I can't recall anyone else on TOS using the same style. Or any other actor on any show ever except to parody him.

https://youtu.be/yqf04PAeFnE

The point remains, if Shatner doesn't think he can get away with that kind of acting then by all means let him retire and keep any sort of media as far away from him as possible.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User

He has done his run, and nearly ninety....let him enjoy his time to himself.

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Discovery - I refuse to pay for a streaming service that I would only be using for that, so have not seen it.)

Popcorn-time
    (wink)

This discussion has been closed.