test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium per zen prices have dropped sharply

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
I tried a quick search and didn't see anything recent about this, so thought I'd get your thoughts.
Dilithium per zen prices have dropped on the exchange quite a bit-to levels I haven't seen in a long time. 414 about five minutes before posting this. Is it due to the recent change to the Admiralty system? Is it because the availability of dilithium on the market has been reduced? I get confused on the economy of the dil-ex. I understand that if something is rare, it costs more, but I always get confused about what changes drive prices up or down.
Just curious what you guys thought about this development.
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Yes, for admiralty see - https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1254080/admirality-change-no-more-30k-dillithium#latest and for dil see - https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1253957/dilithium-exchange-is-to-high-at-453#latest

Another major reason is that the Legendary Bundle sale is now over. Many people were cashing in all their dil to cover at least part of the cost of the pack.

* admiralty change reduced the potential supply of dil
    * Legendary Bundle sale ended reduced demand for zen, so fewer people who have dil are trying to sell it, so the actual supply of dil was reduced

Both act to make dil more valuable and so lower the cost of zen.
  • Options
    bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    I noticed this as well, its curious I would expect that, it is because of these changes More Zen on the market compared to Dil would drive the prices down, and the opposite is true if there is more Dil than Zen. I am no market expert but that is my take on it. my curiosity is in what people base their buy and sell thresholds at, is it a 6 Dil spread or a ten Dil spread meaning, if I buy Zen at 400/1 for example would it be best to sell at 410/1 But with drastic market flux it makes it harder to pin point when their are trends in up or down. Meh mind gets a head ache trying to math it out LOL!
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    But in typical Cryptic fashion.. they took steps to reduce the exchange rate that worked and now next week.. boom.. an R&D Promo that will drive demand right back up.

We'll see what happens to the rate once R&D Promo boxes go on sale, but I would really LOVE to see Cryptic just lay off for a month or two with the C-Store promos and sales.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Yeah, the admiralty change is big. The market is controlled now by hardcore farmers. The change will reduce that a lot. I think the promo ship is already baked into the price. Usually the biggest price pop comes the day of the announcement.

Dil is still pretty worthless so I'm not sure if we'll see the 300's. Maybe. If so I'll probably sell 10 or 15 mil. to buy... nothing. but then at least i'll have it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Keep in mind that it's only been a few days. Farmers are probably still sitting on large stockpiles of unrefined dilithium. As some of that dries up, the price may go down further.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    The reason it dropped is because of the players know by the end of the next patch the game is up. I could care less if the dil market goes up or down.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    And its on the rise again. Master Key sale.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    jmalmin1jmalmin1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Players has quit the game because of the change to admiralty . I am thinking about leaving myself now that they made 23 off my character useless to me. with less players means less buyers, which again means price will go down.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    westmetals wrote: »
    People have been predicting the end of the game for eight years.

I miss the old DOOOOOOOOM thread. Was funny what things we'd call DOOOOOOOOM over since it was a joke thread.
    jmalmin1 wrote: »
    Players has quit the game because of the change to admiralty . I am thinking about leaving myself now that they made 23 off my character useless to me. with less players means less buyers, which again means price will go down.

And this I don't understand. People go through the trouble of leveling characters to the point they can do Admiralty, then just use them as resource farms. They don't actually play them, but they go through the trouble of outfitting them enough to GET to that point, then relegate them to do nothing more than rotate Admiralty every day.

While I do rotate seven characters myself, I can't bring myself to just make a ton to rotate JUST for Admiralty. I've got more than 7 characters, but I've for the most part just left them sitting as is. Not only that... my ADD would kick in long before I finish going through them all.

And frankly... quitting over that without waiting to see what the result of this change is, is kind of a dumb kneejerk reaction. Immediate result is "I'm not getting quite as much Dilithium now". Long term so far looks to be lower exchange rate for Zen trading.

Only time will tell what the full effect will be.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I was never able to attain 8K to refine per day on my 4-5 characters.... before Event's 50K prizes and Admiralty TOD existed.

That never killed the game for me. This change will be going back to "normal". ::::shrug::::

(I can't believe how long that thread about the TOD losses has gotten...I quit reading, I can't keep up with it)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    This Admiralty event has reminded me of why I stopped doing it daily/on all my 11-12 characters awhile back. So tedious.

Players has quit the game because of the change to admiralty . I am thinking about leaving myself now that they made 23 off my character useless to me.

I do not possess enough eyeroll to respond adequately to this comment.

• Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    And this I don't understand. People go through the trouble of leveling characters to the point they can do Admiralty, then just use them as resource farms. They don't actually play them, but they go through the trouble of outfitting them enough to GET to that point, then relegate them to do nothing more than rotate Admiralty every day.

While I do rotate seven characters myself, I can't bring myself to just make a ton to rotate JUST for Admiralty. I've got more than 7 characters, but I've for the most part just left them sitting as is. Not only that... my ADD would kick in long before I finish going through them all.

And frankly... quitting over that without waiting to see what the result of this change is, is kind of a dumb kneejerk reaction. Immediate result is "I'm not getting quite as much Dilithium now". Long term so far looks to be lower exchange rate for Zen trading.

The immediate result is less dilithium no matter how it plays out. If you have 23 characters like jmalmin, you're talking 1.4m dilithium every time they cycle through the 2 Admiralties, plus whatever they accumulate in the process. I have no doubt that players that made characters for the sole purpose of accumulating dilithium will now quit.

• Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    They were skipping those non-TOD assignments. That makes it less tedious and get done on so many characters.

But in order to take advantage of this weekend event, have to do as many with a Dilithium reward to claim the bonus.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The view of the life of a Dilithium Mule

https://youtu.be/BtMP2EiRH0Y
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    kiralyn wrote: »
    This Admiralty event has reminded me of why I stopped doing it daily/on all my 11-12 characters awhile back. So tedious.

Until the Omega event I hadn't done Admiralty for many months (maybe over a year?) I was spending 3+hrs a day doing it on my toons. It was no fun. Sure I was making Dil, but eh, other than Phoenix Upgrades, didn't really have anywhere to spend it. And the Dil Exchange was TRIBBLE at near 500:1 ratio.

During the Omega event, I finished off 1 KDF and Ferengi ToD to get 60k to pay for the Omega Quality upgrades I was crafting. Now gonna finish a 2nd ToD of them just because I was half way done. After that, gonna forget Admiralty exists again probably. I'll see how fast the Ferengi bonus gets used up under my normal dil acquisition. I rarely hit the daily Dil cap, so might take awhile. The KDF one is TRIBBLE since it can't be used to buy Fleet equipment. (Which it should since most Rep gear outclasses it.) It's just there to dump into Fleet projects and already have millions of Fleet Creds I don't use as is.

I'd assume the price of Dil will slowly go down. With all the stockpiles of unrefined Dil out there, there's a decent cushion of supply to avoid a sharp drop, imo. The price won't hit bottom till all that is depleted.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »

It actually can go by pretty quickly but I generally agree. I severely reduced how many characters I do it on because I started to hate it. I wasn't actually playing the game anymore. So I stopped. And I found myself having much more fun because of it.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    But in typical Cryptic fashion.. they took steps to reduce the exchange rate that worked and now next week.. boom.. an R&D Promo that will drive demand right back up.

We'll see what happens to the rate once R&D Promo boxes go on sale, but I would really LOVE to see Cryptic just lay off for a month or two with the C-Store promos and sales.

We'll see....to be honest I was expect the exchange to hit 500 after the Legendary pack launched.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    With the way scaling works you can very easily hit admiralty level with almost no gearing at all.

The current dip in the exchange is similar to the dips we'd get when the phoenix event happened but the main difference is that both the dip and the spike worked from a more or less stable midpoint the exchange would sit on in between each R&D (a keybox booby prize) gamblebox and phoenix event. What we're seeing now is a dip due to admiralty change but it is a (fairly typical) short term solution to the mishandling of the exchange in order to bleed money out of the game.

It will dip once, then after the next promo box comes along to gouge the unwary it'll be back up at 450+ with nothing around to help reduce it. Phoenix items are now being put into the cash shop so the only dip from those boxes might happen when an upgrade weekend happens.
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited March 2020

Players using dozens of characters to do nothing but farm Dil is exactly why the change was made. Enjoy living in the world you helped create, I guess.
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    It needs to go down between 155-230 that would be a good step.
  • Options
    littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

I miss the old DOOOOOOOOM thread. Was funny what things we'd call DOOOOOOOOM over since it was a joke thread.

I think people have forgotten (or choose to forget) that there are players like me who have about 30 or so characters and we play ALL of them, enjoying all of them. I didn't create that many characters because of admiralty or dilithium. I created them because I just love playing different characters, all with their own back stories. And there are times where I'll focus on one specific character for a few weeks at a time, and then out of the blue, I live a different life.

Admiralty was a great thing because of having those characters, but it was really never the reason for it. Now, I will probably barely sign onto some of the others because admiralty and doffs are about all they'd benefit from, so they'll get their lives when they get their lives. What will happen, however, is I will stop buying ships and extra stuff for them because I don't need it any more. When I was running 30 some characters, I would buy all of the advances, such as more ships, more inventory, more bank space, more ship space, more doff space, ect. Now, they've taken away the incentive I had for doing just that. Again, they're throwing away money in hopes of making a little bit of money.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    monodoso wrote: »
    The reason it dropped is because of the players know by the end of the next patch the game is up. I could care less if the dil market goes up or down.

10+ years - plenty in the Closed Beta figured STO was DoA. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    monodoso wrote: »

10+ years - plenty in the Closed Beta figured STO was DoA. ;)

Oh perhaps, but the earliest I recall is when they let people start playing without a paid subscription.

Yeah, I started playing shortly after LOR and I remember people telling me not to bother starting it because the game was dying off.

Guess they were wrong on that one. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Admiralty was a great thing because of having those characters, but it was really never the reason for it. Now, I will probably barely sign onto some of the others because admiralty and doffs are about all they'd benefit from, so they'll get their lives when they get their lives. What will happen, however, is I will stop buying ships and extra stuff for them because I don't need it any more. When I was running 30 some characters, I would buy all of the advances, such as more ships, more inventory, more bank space, more ship space, more doff space, ect. Now, they've taken away the incentive I had for doing just that. Again, they're throwing away money in hopes of making a little bit of money.

Yeah, except, all those great many goods and services you bought for your 30+ alts, using the free Dilithium you got from the Admiralty for them, still, per saldo, left Cryptic penniless from you. Only if you had put in more than you had taken out, would Cryptic feel the loss. Not sure what's the case here, but far as Cryptic is concerned, they only care about the latter, of course.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.