test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What will cryptic nerf next

grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
I have been thinking about all the nerfing that has gone on over the years in game. The latest thing is the dil market. My question what will be next? Will it be something that will benefit the players that have been playing for years or benefit new players. I feel all the nerfing that has gone on in game has benefited the new players. Maybe I'm wrong. Will this lastest nerfing of the dil market drive end gamers away? What is everyone's thought on this
Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    I've seen people theorize that they'll put a cap on how many toons you can refine dilithium on per day.

Other than that they seem to just choose things randomly to nerf.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Probably more nerfing to multi-character farming of dil, EC, marks.

The nerfs haven't been so much against old time players (I started in 2012) but against those who use 5+ alts to farm daily.

Many of the nerfs have increased dil rewards for those who only play 1-2 characters a day, whether you started last week or 5 years ago.

For example the increasing dil rewards after event completion give more dil for playing with one character, less to the farmers who would complete the event on 5+ characters at once to get the event completion dil jackpot.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    (deleted)
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    I'm guessing Exotic damage or Beam Overlord. Exotic has had a lot of buffs over the last few years and BO is pretty strong. Wouldn't surprise me if BO had it's ability to Crit taken away,
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    Wouldn't a nerf to the dil economy require them ADDING more source of dil, which in turn makes dil less valuable, and drives up the dilex making it harder, and more expensive, to buy anything?

As it stands, this is the definition of a anti-nerf. They are bringing the dilex down, making it cheaper, and easier, for people to get zen to buy stuff.

Pretty much. Cryptic doesn't seem to quite understand their own economy here, if they really wanted to lower prices they would make it so that you can earn more, and refine more dil. This lowers the Dil to zen ratio, making it less worthwhile to sell zen, but much more worthwhile to sell dil for the few who are going to sell zen no matter how low it goes.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    if they wanted people to lose their minds more? Competitive Engines or phoenix upgrades.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    westx211 wrote: »
    Pretty much. Cryptic doesn't seem to quite understand their own economy here, if they really wanted to lower prices they would make it so that you can earn more, and refine more dil. This lowers the Dil to zen ratio, making it less worthwhile to sell zen, but much more worthwhile to sell dil for the few who are going to sell zen no matter how low it goes.
    Allowing people to earn and refine more dil wouldn't make the dilex go down, it would make it go up since now it is not only easier to get dil, but faster to get it in a usable state. This would drive the dilex back to up near 500 in a heartbeat.

As it stands, making the phoenix boxes always on, and this recent admiralty change, has brought the dilex down to between 410-420.

They very clearly do understand their own economy here.

You're confusing me. It seemed like you were arguing that they were attempting to try and make it harder for people to just buy zen with dilithium, and now you're arguing the opposite.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Allowing people to earn and refine more dil wouldn't make the dilex go down, it would make it go up since now it is not only easier to get dil, but faster to get it in a usable state. This would drive the dilex back to up near 500 in a heartbeat.

As it stands, making the phoenix boxes always on, and this recent admiralty change, has brought the dilex down to between 410-420.

They very clearly do understand their own economy here.

You're confusing me. It seemed like you were arguing that they were attempting to try and make it harder for people to just buy zen with dilithium, and now you're arguing the opposite.

They're trying to make it harder for factory farmers to buy zen, not all F2P players. The change will actually make it easier for more casual players who play 1-2 characters to buy zen if they choose to.

Farmer: sells 600,000 dil at 470. Has farming nerfed to 300,000. Regepost!
    Casual: sells 100,000 dil was at 470 is now at 420. Is happy!
  • smr12smr12 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They're trying to make it harder for factory farmers to buy zen, not all F2P players. The change will actually make it easier for more casual players who play 1-2 characters to buy zen if they choose to.
    >
    > Farmer: sells 600,000 dil at 470. Has farming nerfed to 300,000. Regepost!
    > Casual: sells 100,000 dil was at 470 is now at 420. Is happy!

you forgot about the part that the casual player takes a lot longer to farm that amount of dil
    Until Cryptic fixes the bugs and the huge lag problem, i refuse to give them a single cent. A company that charges hundreds of dollars but can't even give a stable bugfree game (or at least doesn't have bugs that are years and years old), doesn't deserve my money.
    Also when coming back after 2 years not playing STO, spending $30 and getting hit immediately with a 7 day account probation.
    This shows very little respect from cryptic towards their playerbase and, this is another reason to not spend any single cent on this game.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    dil cap... it wont be 8k per toon... they boost it cause people have asked for it... but it'll be a cap per account. 15k to 20k a day. be careful what you wish for...
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    smr12 wrote: »
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They're trying to make it harder for factory farmers to buy zen, not all F2P players. The change will actually make it easier for more casual players who play 1-2 characters to buy zen if they choose to.
    >
    > Farmer: sells 600,000 dil at 470. Has farming nerfed to 300,000. Regepost!
    > Casual: sells 100,000 dil was at 470 is now at 420. Is happy!

you forgot about the part that the casual player takes a lot longer to farm that amount of dil

I'm pretty casual. Usually just rotate 7 characters through Admiralty before playing a bit on one or two. And I don't rotate them more than once a day even if I slot 15 minute assignments. The DL is pretty good, but I'm also gunning for ECs. I'm gonna give it a week or two to see how the Exchange rates go. But I'm still rotating those characters. It also lets me build up some Crafting mats I may need on my crafter. Only have one with any crafting ability so having a good supply of mats is handy.

On average I made about 100 Zen a day so... thinking it might be a bit more or less, but not too much of a hit to me. Main thing is the ToD rewards for Ferengi. Only time will tell how that affects it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I'm guessing Exotic damage or Beam Overlord. Exotic has had a lot of buffs over the last few years and BO is pretty strong. Wouldn't surprise me if BO had it's ability to Crit taken away,

Beam Overload has been nerfed so many times already. I don't know how much lower Cryptic go with it.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
    It wouldn't make sense for them to nerf any beams or beam based abilities, if anything cannons are overperforming significantly. (A common issue over the course of the game's life has been that they will nerf cannons, or beams, and buff the other until the reverse it, nerfing beams and buffing cannons for instance. It has happened so many times over 10 years, for some reason they really don't like the two being equal)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    To continue on with Admiralty, after all Specs are maxed out, they currently give out 2,880 Dilitium. They could stop that and let you accumulate extra Spec Points like they previously did. Perhaps give out 2,500 Reputation Dilithium instead.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    ...As it stands, this is the definition of a anti-nerf...

I believe the term you are looking for here is BUFF.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    They will nerf the nerf bat because it's to nerfy.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I hope they nerf people correcting other people who weren't wrong on the forum because they simply did not like the format or tone of the person's comment.

Lol well they already do that
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The dil nerf was an attempt to prevent the exchange capping out when they unleash the next tsunami of gamblebox promo ships.

They might do us all a favour and give the option to nerf visuals just to player, enemies and select abilities so the game doesn't take a massive dump in performance every time a pet heavy ship like the discoprise opens up within 15km of you.

Or a better nerf would be to trim the junk out of the key based gambleboxes and make those worthwhile. Why is it the R&D box is deemed worthy of being a promo box while at the same time its considered to be a trashy padding item? Other than greed driven design anyway.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I'm a casual, only have one toon and I have WAY more dil ore than I could refine for a very long time. None of these changes really effect new or casual players despite all the arguments trying to use us for or against.

The simple truth is the exchange is pointless for casuals and new players, prices are too high because the whales with large numbers of alts and time dedicated to farming basicly dominate the prices. It's a free market economy which means that the ones with the most disposable EC and dil control it and that'll never really change I think.

Seems to me that these changes only effect the guys with multiple toons on multiple accounts. Those of us who are new or casual with just one toon or a handful won't really notice the changes either way because we just don't have or will have the resources to get into this market anyway.

• section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    > @tigeraries said:
    > dil cap... it wont be 8k per toon... they boost it cause people have asked for it... but it'll be a cap per account. 15k to 20k a day. be careful what you wish for...

Yes and they might move the Zen cap from 500 to 2,500. Effectively turning the market on it's ear. Call it devaluing the currency (something the Chinese are quite familiar with).
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Not to argue semantics but a "change" & a "nerf" aren't always the same thing & very subjective. I look at the KDF Admiralty change as a nerf simply because it wasn't presented as a selectable option for players. Cryptic took away an option completely & replaced with a mandatory & to me that shows lack of trust &/or confidence. Even though I disliked this nerf it didn't affect me much since I have difficulty even remembering Admiralty half the time & complete a tier 10 maybe every couple of weeks, but I'm sure my focus about it will change now.

Also, I think Cryptic sometimes changes up the balancing of certain abilities or items' performances just to keep us players & the game moving even if it isn't progressing to avoid stagnation hence why time to time Cryptic might change the prowess of some weapons.

ltminns wrote: »
    To continue on with Admiralty, after all Specs are maxed out, they currently give out 2,880 Dilitium. They could stop that and let you accumulate extra Spec Points like they previously did. Perhaps give out 2,500 Reputation Dilithium instead.

Now Specialization Points is something I wish Cryptic would offer more opportunities at, I'm simply terrible & slow at it. I attempt to reach 45 or 60 now for each of my characters then forget about them. I also still think the 2 in-game mechanics of the whole random-TFO being Ground or Space & the Specialization Points not being able to be changed for such even though minor is a lazy counter-acting design flaw that handicaps players.

I know some players considered that Omega items change a nerf & I suppose it is but overall it didn't bother me too much sicne I didn't fervently go after those, thought account-bound was a good call, & was really impressed with Cryptic giving like a week's heads-up!

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The klink change is a nerf for most folk who are in a long term and well established fleet. Maybe if they'd allowed the dil tokens to be used for fleet gear instead of only projects it'd have been better received.

To me spec points are like ship traits, I work towards the ones I want and forget about the rest. They're just ways of getting bums on seats doing the same tired content over and over.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    if only they could nerf the lag/rubberbanding/misfire :*
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    if only they could nerf the lag/rubberbanding/misfire :*

Amen to that.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
This discussion has been closed.