test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

✯✯✯ STAR TREK PICARD ✯✯✯ (reactions and discussion WITH SPOILERS)

Comments

• captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    um...doctor mccoy would like a word with you
    In 1986, Dr. Leonard McCoy gave a kidney pill to an elderly woman in San Francisco who was suffering from "kidney dialysis." The pill apparently caused the spontaneous growth of a new kidney. (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home)
    ​​

Maybe but I counter that with TNG's episode Ethics and, as has been noted, Picard's heart. So clearly this tech is limited

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, yes - kidneys are clearly nowhere NEAR as complex as hearts...or lungs​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I could believe the issue with a new heart is what happens to the old one. Kidneys you can survive without for a little bit, not so much a heart.

Still, this sort of thing was established in TOS, and right now we are working on growing organs in pigs. It never quite made sense that Picard needed a fake heart when there is no reason to believe ST science wouldn't be able to provide him with a genuine one.

This also extends to the Borg implant issue, though. Why can't they be fully removed if medical science can replace organs completely? It has never quite made sense. With Voyager, at least they were so far from home and only had an EMH, so you could buy that as a reason, even if that wasn't the stated reason.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    This also extends to the Borg implant issue, though. Why can't they be fully removed if medical science can replace organs completely? It has never quite made sense. With Voyager, at least they were so far from home and only had an EMH, so you could buy that as a reason, even if that wasn't the stated reason.
    The Borg seek perfection. What is the point of perfection for a "species" led by an evil Collective if any lesser species can easily remove all those perfect gifts given to their flesh?

I'm pretty sure as time goes, more and more Borg implants get more complex and intrusive, having some kind of kill-failsafe to prevent as much of a de-assimilation process as possible.

Though, the idea of several species actually managing to fully and easily remove all those precious perfect implants from drones and causing the Borg to do the (Borg-ified) Pikachu face is hilarious.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The Borg seek perfection. What is the point of perfection for a "species" led by an evil Collective if any lesser species can easily remove all those perfect gifts given to their flesh?

I'm pretty sure as time goes, more and more Borg implants get more complex and intrusive, having some kind of kill-failsafe to prevent as much of a de-assimilation process as possible.

Though, the idea of several species actually managing to fully and easily remove all those precious perfect implants from drones and causing the Borg to do the (Borg-ified) Pikachu face is hilarious.

Star Trek has completely ignored the biological distinciveness of "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own." Although, it would be extremely difficult to get Liberated Borg almost back to normal if they genetically altered their drones.
    edited February 2020
    Another thing to consider, is that TNG isn't the future of now so much as it's the "future of the 90s" and TOS is the "future of the 60s"
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @khan5000 said:
    > > @lordgyor said:
    > > Manu apologized for the Spacy tweet and either way it doesn't justify cancelling him, Amber Heard has done far, far worse things (domestic abuse against Johnny Depp among other things), then a tweet, yet she gets to keep her career and Manu and Icheb fans get screwed over a tweet. Hollywood really sucks.
    >
    > I didn’t say they were canceling him. However I don’t know how Rapp feels about all this but as a producer I wouldn’t use him and potentially have a situation where these two men are in the same room together at Vegas or Comic-Con. It comes down to siding with a cast member of the flagship show or a guest actor who is only shooting one scene.

That whole situation just isn't black and white. It raises many questions. But those aren't for here. The casting decision was made and is out of all our hands.

I'm sure half the voyager cast didn't get along that much. Mainly beltran.

The new actor they had playing Icheb actually looked a lot like the guy who played him when he was a lt commander in that alternate future seen in Shattered.

Also Seven being girlfriends with that gleefully evil Jay lady means that awful and forced Chakotay romance is dead.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    Also Seven being girlfriends with that gleefully evil Jay lady

When was it stated that they had a romantic history? If it was then I missed it.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    I'm sure half the voyager cast didn't get along that much. Mainly beltran.
    It's quite notorious that the behind-the-scenes drama involving pretty much everyone working on the show (mainly Mulgrew Vs Ryan and the writers Vs everyone) was half-jokingly considered a much better "Starfleet-Vs-Maquis mindset" on-going storyline than the show itself.

You gotta give props to Ryan and Mulgrew's acting though, considering their characters went along so well.
    #TASforSTO
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Very nice episode, we're moving forward.
    Picard and Hugh meeting again was wonderful. Finally, Soji is "activated" and we can get to the bottom of things. Narek reveals his true colors two-fold. Like it.
    Interesting that the liberated drones still remember Picard as Locutus. He wasn't Locutus all that long.

Also it seems like the Borg aren't quite over and done yet - they had time to assimilate one of the early Voyager "hosts", or at least enough of them to get that Trajector tech. I don't think that happened during the Voyager's time in the Delta Quadrant, tough we might just not have been privy to it. If the Borg had encountered Kazon already, they might have had ships in the general area already.

Side note: Quentin Tarantino might not be directing any Star Trek movies, but there are a lot of bare feet in this season, so he seems to be there in spirit at least.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    An interesting side note I noticed, in First Contact, it had been mentioned that the borg queen had been onboard the Locutus cube during Best of Both Worlds. The trajector in the queen's chamber in this episode may provide a backhanded explanation as to how she escaped that cube before it exploded, and also may explain how/why there were starfleet officers assimilated at Wolf 359, but ended up back in the delta quadrant even though the Locutus cube apparently never met up with any other borg vessels before its destruction.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    An interesting side note I noticed, in First Contact, it had been mentioned that the borg queen had been onboard the Locutus cube during Best of Both Worlds. The trajector in the queen's chamber in this episode may provide a backhanded explanation as to how she escaped that cube before it exploded, and also may explain how/why there were starfleet officers assimilated at Wolf 359, but ended up back in the delta quadrant even though the Locutus cube apparently never met up with any other borg vessels before its destruction.

IMO, the Borg Queen is a "consciousness", not a specific body. So the body that was on board the cube that was destroyed in Wolf 359 was in fact destroyed, but the consciousness survived through some Borg version of the cloud that is constantly being "backed up".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

IMO, the Borg Queen is a "consciousness", not a specific body. So the body that was on board the cube that was destroyed in Wolf 359 was in fact destroyed, but the consciousness survived through some Borg version of the cloud that is constantly being "backed up".

This has always been my understanding as well, and Hugh also says that the gate thing was from after Picard's time as Locutus.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    why are people referencing eps from Next Gen to this Picard? This IS alt universe version from Next Gen. In Next Gen it clearly states that humans/Earth have moved past money and poverty and the like. You can't have homeless on Earth unless it's in an alt universe from Next Gen. That was the point of Star Trek from Roddenberry, that Earth/Humans have moved past race, sex, money & nations... Star Trek was a shinning beacon of hope.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @tigeraries said:
    > why are people referencing eps from Next Gen to this Picard? This IS alt universe version from Next Gen. In Next Gen it clearly states that humans/Earth have moved past money and poverty and the like. You can't have homeless on Earth unless it's in an alt universe from Next Gen. That was the point of Star Trek from Roddenberry, that Earth/Humans have moved past race, sex, money & nations... Star Trek was a shinning beacon of hope.

Who is homeless?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User

This has always been my understanding as well, and Hugh also says that the gate thing was from after Picard's time as Locutus.

yes, I think the same thing; Us "pathetic humans :p " we have the cloud, why the borg wouldn't have something similar, as thegrandnagus1 said it previously. These creepy dudes are a technolgy civilization, everything is possible for them. When I see the cube in STP, I ask myself why their nanites can't modify their resitance, aspect (modification of their armor etc) each second when needed.

btw, the borg visuals in STO need a serious upgrade. the Borg in Sto seem really pitiful in comparaison the tech shown in STP.

Good episode 6, I like the sentence at the end, Elnor is really badass.
    The superimposition of the faces of Picard and Locutus in the holodeck, it was simply a wonder. what a cool idea.
    I'm wondering if the Ex-borg all reckongizing Picard could play a bit of a role in the story, perhaps a EB uprising on the artifact?
    valoreah wrote: »
    When did Picard become so afraid of the Borg? According to him, he had "completely recovered" from his experience with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smdqe2eluEI

He seemed pretty gung ho to fight them in First Contact as well.

What was the point of calling in favors to get diplomatic access to the cube if Elnor could just beam over with no issue? Especially with the station on high alert? Nobody questions what happened to the EMH when Maddox went into cardiac arrest?

Very badly written episode in my opinion.

ok first of all, don't listen to what Picard says, watch his face when he response to that, he takes a second to respond, before he says he's completely recovered. it's clear to me that he may not have recovered as completely as he claims. also if he has completely recovered, yeah sorry... it's not PICARD that's badly written. (seriously, you don't go through something like that unscarred)
    as for being gung ho to fight them in first contact............ that's kinda the point. Jean Luc Picard is useally a measured throughful man.. in FC.. he was Ahab.
    as for elnor beaming over, keep in mind, this was after weapons and shots where being fired so the time for being nice guys was over
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    tigeraries wrote: »
    why are people referencing eps from Next Gen to this Picard? This IS alt universe version from Next Gen. In Next Gen it clearly states that humans/Earth have moved past money and poverty and the like. You can't have homeless on Earth unless it's in an alt universe from Next Gen. That was the point of Star Trek from Roddenberry, that Earth/Humans have moved past race, sex, money & nations... Star Trek was a shinning beacon of hope.

your head canon has nothing to do with this.
    When did Picard become so afraid of the Borg? According to him, he had "completely recovered" from his experience with them.

What was the point of calling in favors to get diplomatic access to the cube if Elnor could just beam over with no issue? Especially with the station on high alert? Nobody questions what happened to the EMH when Maddox went into cardiac arrest?

If you had noticed his apprehension and aggressively uneasy feelings he has about the Borg and the nightmares he has being assimilated again. it points to someone who has never been certain about himself around the Borg. he never fully recovered from the experience and after 20+ years since the last time he encountered the Borg, while he still remembers but wasn't prepared to revisit a Borg cube.

While his enterprise may have been partially assimilated back then, it was still his ship, but the last time he was on an actual Borg cube? that was almost 30 years ago, and that is part of him he has never faced, and no amount to talking about the subject can prepare him for such an unpleasant experience.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Judging on Narek's reaction, i'm wondering if it were a setup, one created by Soji and Narek to fool his sister and the last look by Soji was one of a nod to start the next part of the plan. The radiation wasn't strong enough to affect Soji but more than enough for any other lifeform, which was part of the plan.

All the above suggests that they were counting on Picard to find Soji though. I wonder if Narek had a recording device or something in her room to observe Picard's movements? I wouldn't put it past Narek though, he is after all a Romulan and an operative.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    tigeraries wrote: »

Who was homeless in Federation territory in Picard?
    How can Doctor Crusher get something charged to her account on the Enterprise in Encounter at Farpoint when the Federation has moved past money?

I think it's really easy to understand what's going on with "Money".
    • Inside the Federation, you don't need money (unless, presumably, you want something illegal).
    • Outside the Federation, you do, unless the place you visit happens to work exactly like the Federation (even for outsiders).
    Hence no surprise that Beverly needs to pay for some clothes on a non-Federation world like Farpoint, or you need to pay someone like Rios money so he transports you to areas outside Federation space, but you don't need money to eat at Sisko's.

I hope you're not just trying to be disingenuous, because if I want that, I can just watch a re:View from Red Latter Media or something like that, they'll probably be funnier because they actually do this kind of stuff more or less professionally
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

ok first of all, don't listen to what Picard says, watch his face when he response to that, he takes a second to respond, before he says he's completely recovered. it's clear to me that he may not have recovered as completely as he claims. also if he has completely recovered, yeah sorry... it's not PICARD that's badly written. (seriously, you don't go through something like that unscarred)
    as for being gung ho to fight them in first contact............ that's kinda the point. Jean Luc Picard is useally a measured throughful man.. in FC.. he was Ahab.
    as for elnor beaming over, keep in mind, this was after weapons and shots where being fired so the time for being nice guys was over

There's a difference between being changed/affected by an experience and being scarred by it. You can easily have the alternate explanation that Picard knows intimately how dangerous the Borg are and since he knows them best, he knows how to best fight them, by being more aggressive.

And in First Contact, he's watching his ship get assimilated and knows if they succeed then all of history is erased as they will then assimliate Earth. He has to fight them, the stakes are too high. What captain wouldn't come to the same conclusion? It doesn't mean he's thinking clearly, but with that much on the line, could any captain think completely clearly, and with all his officers on the planet who might have different ideas to propose? I don't buy it being unique to Picard or his experience with the Borg.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    If you had noticed his apprehension and aggressively uneasy feelings he has about the Borg and the nightmares he has being assimilated again. it points to someone who has never been certain about himself around the Borg. he never fully recovered from the experience and after 20+ years since the last time he encountered the Borg, while he still remembers but wasn't prepared to revisit a Borg cube.
    He was not cowering in fear over strolling into a nest of them aboard the Enterprise to try and rescue Data.
    He did talk about how scared he was in FC though. He may not have been cowering on the OUTSIDE, but....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2020

He was not cowering in fear over strolling into a nest of them aboard the Enterprise to try and rescue Data.
    It was his ship and he knew more or less which parts of the ship were overwhelmed and under Borg control, so he knows where to hide/escape/shoot at when needed to get an advantage.

Here, he was on a cube not expecting if all of it was under control, if the Vinculum was still operational, and he's 30 years older. And that's excluding the Zhat Vash he knows are on his and Soji's trails.

It's one thing to be younger, on an adrenaline rush, in a familiar if twisted environment, having activated the self-destruct system so you still think you'll win if you get caught, all to try and rescue a close friend, while knowing the rest of your surviving crew is safe.

It's another to be 30 years older and weaker, enter a place pretty much identical to the one where you had your worst physical and mental trauma happen in your entire life and not expecting what to encounter, while pursued by a cabal that almost killed you and your closest Romulan friends in your own house, while previously being told by various other close friends how they feel you abandoned them for more than a decade.
    He says he recovered in "The Drumhead" and we have zero reason to doubt him.
    Seriously?
    It's plainly obvious he's both saying this out of spite because Satie is a colossal witch and because he too believes so, which First Contact shows is not true, no matter how much he thinks it is.
    #TASforSTO
    edited February 2020
    (response to redacted post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on