test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Admirality change no more 30k Dillithium....

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    garaks31 wrote: »
    i like this change

You know what? Me too! It is super great for the wellbeing of the whole game.

My problem to discuss it in full length here is due to the fact that peeps get irrationally upset when nerfs happen and I’d be such a hypocrite knowing that my unrefined Dil reserves I got out of Admirality in the past will last for another 2-3 years.

Still I can’t help to hold back my schadenfreude. Cryptic put the burden to bankroll this title on performance players and fleet leaders for years. The ignorant and hypocritical forum members around here always used to tell me:

- If you are owner of a fleet it’s your job to pay the dil.

- You don’t need all this OP stuff (which was expensively released and nerfed afterwards) to beat the game.

- DPS is not everything.

IT is so rewarding to see that Cryptic is opening up their bankrolling strategy to a much wider audience lately. To anybody who feels hurt here and (empty) threatens with leaving:

- If you are in a PvE now it’s your job to win!

- You don’t need all the cheap Admirality Dil to beat the game!

- Pixel hero starships from Zen store aren’t everything!

Before long players will need to actually play for their Dil again and I still remember well how much they did before those clicky nonsense systems were introduced. If anybody wonders, elite maps reward much more Dil than normal maps do so you might as well take all the stuff you don’t feel you need and consume them as fast as I can now. At 300k they get tolerable enough. ;)

In any case the game worked fine before the Admirality system, it will work just as great without it again.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • smr12smr12 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > You know what? Me too! It is super great for the wellbeing of the whole game.
    >
    > My problem to discuss it in full length here is due to the fact that peeps get irrationally upset when nerfs happen and I’d be such a hypocrite knowing that my unrefined Dil reserves I got out of Admirality in the past will last for another 2-3 years.
    >etc

so basically you are saying that you don't care because you have your dil stash.
    Until Cryptic fixes the bugs and the huge lag problem, i refuse to give them a single cent. A company that charges hundreds of dollars but can't even give a stable bugfree game (or at least doesn't have bugs that are years and years old), doesn't deserve my money.
    Also when coming back after 2 years not playing STO, spending $30 and getting hit immediately with a 7 day account probation.
    This shows very little respect from cryptic towards their playerbase and, this is another reason to not spend any single cent on this game.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User

That's where the majority of my earned Dil was going and now Cryptic has essentially cut that amount in half.
    To keep in mind why it's inconvenient, my Fleet's T5 upgrades are almost ready to be slotted and I was intending to contribute large amounts of my Dil earnings towards those goals.

Another factor to consider, a full set of reputation gear is around 30k dil, so one TOD is gone, just like that.
    I was also purchasing other gear items at times that were also dependent on Dil.

And I keep reiterating, whatever it was I used to do to earn to Dil, I cannot allocate that time anymore.
    The memories are vague, but I remember committing like half a day or more to playing STO and I'd rather do something, anything else then play one game all day every day.
    Admiralty was my escape from the tedious grind factor, a way to keep earning and not waste all my time chasing random tasks for virtual purple crystals.

So wanting me to go back to that unending grinding will never happen, no matter how much it is desired, because I won't tolerate that level of tedium.
    There is a line I drew, Cryptic stepped over it and they're now going to have to accept the results of that response.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • smr12smr12 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    @tilarta well casual players get punished because some people need to overdo it with 50+ toons.
    cryptic think it hurts the Wales but only end up the casuals.
    Until Cryptic fixes the bugs and the huge lag problem, i refuse to give them a single cent. A company that charges hundreds of dollars but can't even give a stable bugfree game (or at least doesn't have bugs that are years and years old), doesn't deserve my money.
    Also when coming back after 2 years not playing STO, spending $30 and getting hit immediately with a 7 day account probation.
    This shows very little respect from cryptic towards their playerbase and, this is another reason to not spend any single cent on this game.
    smr12 wrote: »
    > (Quote)
    >
    > You know what? Me too! It is super great for the wellbeing of the whole game.
    >
    > My problem to discuss it in full length here is due to the fact that peeps get irrationally upset when nerfs happen and I’d be such a hypocrite knowing that my unrefined Dil reserves I got out of Admirality in the past will last for another 2-3 years.
    >etc

so basically you are saying that you don't care because you have your dil stash.

Dil isn't everything. ;)
    animated.gif
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    dantivirus wrote: »
    anodynes wrote: »
    Yup. We can all agree that there's way too much dilithium going around - same with EC, but that's an entirely different beast for entirely different reasons - but the solution is not to simply reduce the amount of dilithium rewards. They must offer something palatable that people can spend their dil on, otherwise it's not gonna make a change.

Both solutions work just fine for reducing the dilex. Reduce dil supply, or increase non-zen dil demand.

Also, this is NOT a nerf for people who support their fleets, which they should. The 50,000 (fleet) dil that bypasses refinement caps is going to be a big help for completing the Colony holdings in both the Fed and KDF fleets that I'm in.

It doesn't work like that: just reducing the supply will not help. Just as only increasing the non-zen demand would not.

And the people that support their fleets will do so regardless of a fleet voucher - which can be way more easily made with a Jem'Hadar (slightly less, but way more faster and easily than with 10 20-hours-long projects... if you're lucky enough to get one every day, that is).
    So, while not a nerf for those that regularly donates, it's a nerf for everybody else.
    And it will not help, because there's still nothing new to spend dilithium on but Zen.​​

It is actually enough just to reduce a significant source of dilithium, and it will help, because there will be less dilithium going toward buying Zen.

Yet dilithium is the only way many players can afford zen. Now they're nerfing this and making it harder for those non-whales to actually buy good stuff.

They've nerfed one way of earning dilithium by effectively not playing the game. There are a bunch of ways to earn a lot of dilithium pretty quickly by actually playing the game. Nearly everything gives dilithium now, except for standing around a social zone. TFOs, Battlezones, Patrols, some old daily tasks, episodes, DOffing and regular Admiralty assignments. If you can't find something that you like out of all of those, then I have to wonder what you do when you're playing the game.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »

That's where the majority of my earned Dil was going and now Cryptic has essentially cut that amount in half.
    To keep in mind why it's inconvenient, my Fleet's T5 upgrades are almost ready to be slotted and I was intending to contribute large amounts of my Dil earnings towards those goals.

Another factor to consider, a full set of reputation gear is around 30k dil, so one TOD is gone, just like that.
    I was also purchasing other gear items at times that were also dependent on Dil.

And I keep reiterating, whatever it was I used to do to earn to Dil, I cannot allocate that time anymore.
    The memories are vague, but I remember committing like half a day or more to playing STO and I'd rather do something, anything else then play one game all day every day.
    Admiralty was my escape from the tedious grind factor, a way to keep earning and not waste all my time chasing random tasks for virtual purple crystals.

So wanting me to go back to that unending grinding will never happen, no matter how much it is desired, because I won't tolerate that level of tedium.
    There is a line I drew, Cryptic stepped over it and they're now going to have to accept the results of that response.

Wait a second. Klingon Tour of Duty just became better for where you say that the majority of your dilithium was going, up from 30,000 to 40,000 for using in fleet projects.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    edited February 2020
    @tilarta well casual players get punished because some people need to overdo it with 50+ toons.

I’m aboard long enough mate.

- In October the 14th 2014 Cryptic felt it prudent to move this title away from a casual game to a more dedicated one by multiplying the effort it takes to progress our characters by like 10. As if it would not be enough they expanded it for fleets later on with the disastrous and perverse Colony Holding.

- The Admiralty System was introduced to give every player in this title a better chance cope with the increased demands.

- Judging from the miserable suffering I was forced to witness in public PvE the past half-decade players did not make use of the Admiralty system in order to follow any progression curves this game lays out (lol or to even consider any fleet donations) but they used it simply to avoid any sort of money support for STO in order to get thier hero ships cheap and then play them as bad as possible.

- This adjustment is now made to get the priorities for the players straighter.

Everybody will get “hurt” over it. Not just you. Business as usual for those dedicated enough. For those who aren't... well sorry. ;)
    animated.gif
    edited February 2020

Wait a second. Klingon Tour of Duty just became better for where you say that the majority of your dilithium was going, up from 30,000 to 40,000 for using in fleet projects.

Yep! Supernice change for those who care for a bit more than just to get thier pixel starships out of the zen store cheap and easy. :)

Same counts for the ferengi tour! All of sudden we get rewarded for... well... playing STO again.
    animated.gif
  • darzil#7269 darzil Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    (deleted)
    Let me run the math for you and see if it makes sense:
    KDF+Ferengi=60k dil (pre adjustment).
    KDF=40k Fleet Dil vouchers (post adjustment).
    So I lost 20k Dil immediately, therefore I fail to see how that is an improvement.

And for the record, not all of it was going to the Fleet, I was using some of it myself.
    That option has now been revoked, it's all for the Fleet and none for me.
    So technically speaking, when those upgrades are conpleted, I'll immediately quit doing KDF Admiralty, because there won't be a reason to continue.
    If you can't find something that you like out of all of those, then I have to wonder what you do when you're playing the game.

Seven characters remember? If it's ingame, I've done it seven times over.
    And in some cases, much much more then that!
    How many daily queues are required to get to T5 or T6 Reputation?
    Now multiply that figure by seven and by 50-60% of the Reputations in the game.
    Then add 30-40% of the DOFFing fields, also times seven.

That's why I can't find anything I like anymore, I've done it so many times, there's nothing new to experience.
    So what I do is just wait for a new story update or prize event, something new that I haven't played 400 times before today.

Admiralty was at least quick and easy, so less of a chore. Plus I found ways to make it interesting, at least personally, mostly like, what's the most unusual group of ships that can be assigned and still meet the stats requirements? And it could be done from a convenient location, I didn't have to fly around an entire sector block or two looking for assignments and trying to figure out where the mysterious switch lines were (it's a known Bug that Cryptic hasn't fixed!).

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    "Playing STO again", on the surface, sounds healthy for the game; but here's the thing: Cryptic does NOT want us to play the game. Which is to say, prolonged participation is, an und für sich, not the goal. Quite the opposite even: the required grind (due to this major Admiralty nerf, for one) is meant to make you say "I can't put in this much time grinding anymore... let me just open my wallet instead." Prolonged participation, in that sense, is only a means to an end: to induce tedium/irritation, so you'll look to your wallet to bypass the grind.

Also, I think it's a nice dream to think ppl, starved for Admiralty Dilithium now, will suddenly decide to 'git good', and decide to increase their PvE skills. But I highly doubt it will happen. :)

This is a major nerf, pure and simple. Klink tour now paying out Fleet Dilithium, that's cute and all; but, at the end of the day, said Dilithum is no longer yours to spend as you please. And while donating to your Fleet is sure noble as a grape, I doubt many ppl in RL would accept 'charity vouchers', instead of their regular paycheck (insert ppl now telling me STO is not RL, and that it's all for pixels anyway).

I find the direction Cryptic is taking quite irritating/debilitating. So much so, that I coined a term for it even: CvP, Cryptic vs. Player. At the top is Geko, hovering above his metrics, spite-nerfing every player reward he feels could actually cut into his profits (rewards ppl obtained legitimately, btw, simply by playing the game; and yes, Admiralty, as a mini-game, is playing the game too).

And then, on top of this huge nerf, there is the trend to sell more and more 1.5+ bill R&D ships, inaccessible to most. And when was the last time you even saw a new Lobi ship? Be a superwhale, or walk! I am not without financial means myself, but nonetheless start to resent this 'hostility' vs. the players (for lack of a better term). And, I know, I strictly don't *need* any of these ships, but this inimical attitude towards anyone who is not a superwhale, is beginning to irritate me. They already got me for the Legendary pack; and we're already so conditioned to the 'new greed', that ppl already realize the new carrier will be R&D, for sure.

Ironically, if Cryptic wants me to participate, then they shouldn't try and obstruct me every which way doing so, like, I dunno, by de facto killing Admiralty.

N.B. A few months from now, watch that promised 1,000 Lobi get turned into 1,000 Lobi vouchers, instead. Wait for it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • leoanimaleoanima Member Posts: 29 Arc User

[/quote]
    Wait a second. Klingon Tour of Duty just became better for where you say that the majority of your dilithium was going, up from 30,000 to 40,000 for using in fleet projects.[/quote]

This statement is not accurate, if Fleet Dilithium Vouchers were a claimable account bound item, it would be a good change for fleets (even if funding the dil yourself).

But that's not what they did, since you can't move those between characters, and the majority of players are Feds (some of which have a KDF alt), this effectively kills KDF fleet projects for anyone that was funding them by moving Dil between characters to fund the KDF side.

There is also the point that the vouchers are not particularly useful beyond one gear set, since they can't be moved to another character that would be in need of fleet gear / credits.

To those that have said that this would somehow increase the donations to fleets, again I must disagree. If the majority of people where not donating before, why would they decided to keep doing the KDF campaigns when they now need upgrades that don't cost dil, and aren't phoenix boxes?

A more practical solution to this issue is 3 pronged: 1) new Jem'Hadar characters have to level like every other character. 2) pick *a* campaign to change (one or the other) leave the other at 30k for a full tour, 3) change the other to account bound claimable Fleet Dilithium vouchers.

Something to keep in mind here, there is more then one way to play the game. If the STF system had been changed this dramatically people would be upset, justifiable so. Playing admiralty to fund fleets was another play style, and just as valid. It was also made Cryptic a lot money; at least in my case - it took real life dollars to buy the character slots, ships etc etc in order to make enough dil to fund a Fed and KDF fleet. Given the change I no longer see a reason to get any new ships, or spend another dime on the game to be real honest.

• foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

coldnapalm wrote: »

Umm...what?!? These changes are GREAT for what you are doing. The KDF ones nets you more dil for you to use on your fleet. It makes it so other fleeties will be more willing to input into the dil costs of the fleet. You are literally being mad that they did something that is GOOD FOR YOU. At least if you are telling the truth in anycase.

That's a little bit of rubbish, the change would've been "great" if it was placed with an option, that way it would help all players in all situations & players could decide what to choose for themselves at that time or their fleet.

You're " It makes it so other fleeties will be more willing to input into the dil costs of the fleet." That's disingenuous, the "more willing" is now de facto, that is at least if you are telling the truth in any case as well.

Helping fleets out are good, taking away earnable dilithium isn't "good for you", pretty simple. Having lots of fleet credits with no dilithium isn't good.

This is being dressed-up as a change to try to help fleets, but that's just a costume to wither-down an avenue to earn dilithium. I didn't even know it was that good of a way to earn dilithium, I kept forgetting the darn thing. This might be good or bad overall in helping the game's economy, but no harm would've happened in having this as an option for players. Instead it is now a mandatory placement.

I see this as just moving the herd over to another field to graze until the whales/farmers exploit that too much then Cryptic will handicap casual players on that too.

Side-note, I wish others in-game & on social media sites would stop stating that these fleet dilthium vouchers can be used for gear & such, that is FALSE, they're only good for donating to fleet projects.

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    laughinxan wrote: »
    I think people should watch this more.

https://youtu.be/sumZLwFXJqE

They really shouldn't. There is so much wrong with that video, including the basic premise of hyperinflation, their understanding of it, and using examples like Diablo 2 which had notorious duping exploits.

Hyperinflation, even as they incorrectly define it in that video, is totally nonexistant in STO and in most MMOs I'm aware of. We see supply and demand in total control here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Responding to various statements.

Wales? Did the Royal family cause this change?

60k for both before to 40k Fleet Dilitium means loss of 20k. Did you forget about the 30k Ferengi Dilitium Bonus Credit? You get the 30k as you earn another 30k.

That Dilithium Credit does not give you physical items, the section on your Bonus Bar (Salvage, Marks, Fleet Credits, XP, etc.) is noted with the 30k credit.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

60k for both before to 40k Fleet Dilitium means loss of 20k. Did you forget about the 30k Ferengi Dilitium Bonus Credit? You get the 30k as you earn another 30k.

That Dilithium Credit does not give you physical items, the section on your Bonus Bar (Salvage, Marks, Fleet Credits, XP, etc.) is noted with the 30k credit.

More common of a mistake lately given a certain President made that same "Wales/Whales" oopsy I think on Twitter awhile back.

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Umm...what?!? These changes are GREAT for what you are doing. The KDF ones nets you more dil for you to use on your fleet. It makes it so other fleeties will be more willing to input into the dil costs of the fleet. You are literally being mad that they did something that is GOOD FOR YOU. At least if you are telling the truth in anycase.

That's a little bit of rubbish, the change would've been "great" if it was placed with an option, that way it would help all players in all situations & players could decide what to choose for themselves at that time or their fleet.

You're " It makes it so other fleeties will be more willing to input into the dil costs of the fleet." That's disingenuous, the "more willing" is now de facto, that is at least if you are telling the truth in any case as well.

Helping fleets out are good, taking away earnable dilithium isn't "good for you", pretty simple. Having lots of fleet credits with no dilithium isn't good.

This is being dressed-up as a change to try to help fleets, but that's just a costume to wither-down an avenue to earn dilithium. I didn't even know it was that good of a way to earn dilithium, I kept forgetting the darn thing. This might be good or bad overall in helping the game's economy, but no harm would've happened in having this as an option for players. Instead it is now a mandatory placement.

I see this as just moving the herd over to another field to graze until the whales/farmers exploit that too much then Cryptic will handicap casual players on that too.

Side-note, I wish others in-game & on social media sites would stop stating that these fleet dilthium vouchers can be used for gear & such, that is FALSE, they're only good for donating to fleet projects.

Fleets were just a costumes in which to wither-down dilithium. So they have that in common, both target dil.

This is aimed at the farmers, more than the grinders. Yes, there's a difference.

A farmer is one that will set the alt and doff routine, and then sit somewhere, usually a social zone, and either play the Dilex and/or Exchange. Then alt around every so often to keep said farm going.

A grinder, is someone more like me. I'll set my alt and doff, then once I finish that, I'm done with it for the day. I then select the character I'm going to play and off I go to earn marks and dil. For me here, the back to back, non-stop events have had me in burnout mode. For the past month I could only bring myself to log in to do the Omega daily. Had I tried to do the alt an doff, I never would've made it to the daily.

So while this change does hurt both. It's going to hurt the former, far more than the latter.

However, this isn't going to hurt the bots. They're running on scripts any how. So they're always out and about EC farming.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    I think it was meant to be whales. Autocorrupt delights in changing words.
    I'm not sure what it means in the context of Star Trek Online, but in Transformers Earth Wars, whales are those players who spend hundreds of dollars every weekend on the game.
    And they get a lot of derision for doing so, nobody should be spending that much money on a mobile game! :s:o

I didn't forget factoring in Ferengi Admiralty, as I'm not doing the TOD chains anymore, there will be no 30k Dil from that source.
    It was only of merit to me when the rewards were standalone and not connected to running around the game earning dil from other sources.

• drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    > @foxrockssocks said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They really shouldn't. There is so much wrong with that video, including the basic premise of hyperinflation, their understanding of it, and using examples like Diablo 2 which had notorious duping exploits.
    >
    > Hyperinflation, even as they incorrectly define it in that video, is totally nonexistant in STO and in most MMOs I'm aware of. We see supply and demand in total control here.

Well whether you agree or not last night I saw the dil exchange prices dropping. And you dont realize they have a point on money printing endlessly.

Hyper inflation isn't as bad because of dilithium. Its used to prevent it. Thats the point I've been trying tell you. They probably didnt want to change admiralty but had no choice because players are excessively greedy and will just grind even more when theres more cash sinks.

Which is the point the video is making. When you just print more and more and more money it rapidly becomes devalued. Just because they used diablo 2 doesnt change what they are saying or discredits them.

Read some basic economics.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2020

I’m aboard long enough mate.

- In October the 14th 2014 Cryptic felt it prudent to move this title away from a casual game to a more dedicated one by multiplying the effort it takes to progress our characters by like 10. As if it would not be enough they expanded it for fleets later on with the disastrous and perverse Colony Holding.

- The Admiralty System was introduced to give every player in this title a better chance cope with the increased demands.

- Judging from the miserable suffering I was forced to witness in public PvE the past half-decade players did not make use of the Admiralty system in order to follow any progression curves this game lays out (lol or to even consider any fleet donations) but they used it simply to avoid any sort of money support for STO in order to get thier hero ships cheap and then play them as bad as possible.

- This adjustment is now made to get the priorities for the players straighter.

Everybody will get “hurt” over it. Not just you. Business as usual for those dedicated enough. For those who aren't... well sorry. ;)

While overall.. this change does hurt me.. the fleet part of it I actually like.

I respect your opinion, and you know that more then anyone.. I respect what you have done for our fleet. It flat out wouldn't exist if not for your efforts, and I respect that big time. For players like me though, the Fleet System always made me feel like a leech. I pretty much needed all my Dilithium, it was my lifeline.. it got me my upgrades and gear, I used to to get Zen, turned it into EC to continue to 'chase the meta,' I needed every precious pink rock I could get. Then I had my fleet that also needed it and I constantly had to choose between being able to better my character(s) or help my fleet and that's a bad situation to be in.

I like the fact that now with just a few daily clicks of Admiralty I can help my fleet with vouchers. Yeah, it kinda sucks that this happens now that our holdings are maxed, but our armada fleets can always use the help. I would have preferred if they left one of them 30k ore and made the 2nd one Fleet.. but it's cool overall. I already have planned to make adjustments and while it might slow me down a bit, I'll be ok overall. I wish I had millions of banked DIlithium, but I don't. :disappointed:

Just saying.. not everyone that didn't/couldn't help with the fleet was trying to leech.. outside of spending money there was a time when I just simply had to pick one or the other and couldn't do both. I like that fact that the change will make it so that newer players don't have to face this situation going forward, because for those that also love their fleets.. it sucked.

Players should not have to choose between helping themselves and bettering their fleet. Now, they no longer have to.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Well, this is the least time and resource consuming correction they could make to the Admiralty right now.

How else could this be fixed....
    Without having "someone" adjust each and every ship card (there are a lot of them), or adjust the way the assignments scroll through, or adjust the length of time each one runs.... and to utilize items already inside the game.

DOFFing you have a timer on how often specific assignments show up... Example those "Haggle" on DS9 and "Freighter" on KDF marauding missions have a cool down period where they do not show up for you for, like 20 hours. And then, you have to "go find" them, again, by running around because the location changes.

The Admiralty assignments show up by skipping through a list.

I am not sure cool down timers can be added without a lot of effort....translation paying $$$ for so many hours on reprogramming or small adjustments on a lot of individual "things".

Cryptic is at the point they do not want any extra expenditures on STO.... Especially on fixing old stuff. So they make these huge sweeping changes like this one, in hopes it stops behavior of players.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User

That makes no sense. The KDF voucher can go straight to your fleet, bypassing the 8K refining limit. If anything, you should be better off, unless you're actively avoiding all other sources of dilithium. I'm seeing 2-5K dil from admiralty, ignoring the ToD bonuses.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Conclusions:
    - Fleets needed this. You can't possibly cover all of the needs of a fleet from your own pocket.
    - The cryout of the admiralty changes is stimulating gameplay. People who wanna play card games should play card games. STO is not a card game. Admiralty still exists, if you play it cause you like it, no point in complaining.
    - Admiralty was BROKEN in terms that it discouraged playing content for dilithium. The events are an amazing source of dilithium. But they require playing nice with others.
    - Crying because monetization exists and you're not getting free or better/faster rewards than the people paying up and keeping the servers up is bad.
    - They're giving away Lobi crystals and C store ships for the events. What could you want more as a free to play player? The freebie evergreed combined with entitlement is a bad, bad thing.

• darzil#7269 darzil Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

You get 30k as you earn another 60k, as it's only a 50% bonus.
  • drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I’m aboard long enough mate.
    >
    > - In October the 14th 2014 Cryptic felt it prudent to move this title away from a casual game to a more dedicated one by multiplying the effort it takes to progress our characters by like 10. As if it would not be enough they expanded it for fleets later on with the disastrous and perverse Colony Holding.
    >
    > - The Admiralty System was introduced to give every player in this title a better chance cope with the increased demands.
    >
    > - Judging from the miserable suffering I was forced to witness in public PvE the past half-decade players did not make use of the Admiralty system in order to follow any progression curves this game lays out (lol or to even consider any fleet donations) but they used it simply to avoid any sort of money support for STO in order to get thier hero ships cheap and then play them as bad as possible.
    >
    > - This adjustment is now made to get the priorities for the players straighter.
    >
    > Everybody will get “hurt” over it. Not just you. Business as usual for those dedicated enough. For those who aren't... well sorry. ;)

I actually agree and judging from a lot of posts here and reddit, and also youtube it does feel like many of these players who relied on admiralty excessively are those who felt entitled to have everything for free without playing the game or paying anything into it. They were kind of using admiralty like spoiled entitled old money people who never earned anything themselves in life.

One guy I tried to talk to on youtube acted like all rep gear would be completely inaccessible without the extreme amounts of dilithium that could be earned with admiralty. Its kind of rediculous how spoiled some of these players are.

They were just greedy and extremely entitled. They were just trying to get everything for nothing at the game's and economy's expense.

There are still plenty of good sources of dilithium. It'll just have to be actually earned.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    > @foxrockssocks said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They really shouldn't. There is so much wrong with that video, including the basic premise of hyperinflation, their understanding of it, and using examples like Diablo 2 which had notorious duping exploits.
    >
    > Hyperinflation, even as they incorrectly define it in that video, is totally nonexistant in STO and in most MMOs I'm aware of. We see supply and demand in total control here.

Well whether you agree or not last night I saw the dil exchange prices dropping. And you dont realize they have a point on money printing endlessly.

Hyper inflation isn't as bad because of dilithium. Its used to prevent it. Thats the point I've been trying tell you. They probably didnt want to change admiralty but had no choice because players are excessively greedy and will just grind even more when theres more cash sinks.

Which is the point the video is making. When you just print more and more and more money it rapidly becomes devalued. Just because they used diablo 2 doesnt change what they are saying or discredits them.

Read some basic economics.

Yes, dil exchange prices were already dropping before the change was even implemented. No supply change whatsoever at the time, and the sharpness of the change also belies the lack of supply effect so far. What did change was the demand for dilithium. People are buying it up while it is cheap. Likely many of those people will reseed the market with it later to get their zen back.

The real supply change to dilithium won't be seen for some time yet, and that will be where the market stabilizes. I'd give it at least a month before we really see how it settles.

Now to the video again. There is NO hyperinflation in STO. Period. The supply of diltihium and making it easier to get over time has decreased the value of dilithium, yes, and thus inflated the price of zen via dilithium. It did not hyperinflate, though. That term has zero place in this discussion or even in that video, because it simply isn't hyperinflation. We did not start at 100:1 one day and end up at 500:1 a few days later.

The major point that video misses, though is the nonsense of equating generating currency within a game with printing currency. The problem with this is very simple. Currency needs to be generated because there is no normal circulation. You don't put your money in a working bank in a game. It is identical to putting it under your mattress when its sitting their in your account. No one else has any access to it via loans or investments or whatever. You don't need to spend money regularly to buy food, fuel, pay taxes, or so on. You can't get a loan or tax refund or any other thing.

The only way to get money is to do generate it, or to generate an item and sell it for money. Did you catch that? That's important.

Lets set up a simple example here. $100 competing for 100 cans of beans. That suggests the price should be $1 per can. If a dumb government then devalues its currency by printing more money, now you have $200 competing for that same 100 cans of beans then the price should be $2 a can right? Of course, and that's inflation, and could be called hyperinflation if it happens fast enough and at a magnitude large enough.

But there's a flip side to that. If you at the same time have another factory open up to produce cans of beans, and you now have 200 cans of beans competing for $200 what happens? Yes the same $1 can of beans despite all the extra currency, because the supply of beans also increased.

This is what happens in games. Not only are you generating currency, but you're also generating items of value. This is where inflation gets kept in check, and the law of supply and demand work to fix prices. This is why the price of ships doesn't constantly go up and up and up in STO, because despite all the currency generation, people are also generating new ships. It fluctuates and varies based on how in demand or out of supply a ship is, but as long as people can sell newly generated box ships, the price is kept in check, and that video completely ignores that side of things. Supply of currency is important, but so is supply of items.
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    > (Quote)
    >

I actually agree and judging from a lot of posts here and reddit, and also youtube it does feel like many of these players who relied on admiralty excessively are those who felt entitled to have everything for free without playing the game or paying anything into it. They were kind of using admiralty like spoiled entitled old money people who never earned anything themselves in life.

Unfortunately, this thread has created this weird dynamic where people think that if you used admiralty, you're mostly a ftp gamer, taking advantage of the free side of the game, or you're a person who contributed money to the game in real life. This whole change affected a number of us who are right down the middle, who have never been a free to play member (either subbing/lifetime member AND buying TONS of zen over the years) and we enjoyed the admiralty for the rewards that it gave out.

The problem, which they should have tried to do something about instead of just hitting everyone with one broadstroke so that the benefits were lost to everyone, is that a segment of the game population took advantage of the system to overwhelm the dil market. There are things they could have done, such as make admiralty a process where ALL the separate types had to be completed fully before you could start in on one of the previous ones again. This would have doubled the time it would have taken for just completing 10 of 10 on Klingon and Ferengi.

But they're not going to do that cause they already chose their path. I was one of those who really enjoyed admiralty because of the payout, but I'll let you in on a little secret: I was one of those who blew dilithium on every stupid little thing because I wasn't doing it to become rich, a zen buyer, or any of those things. And I rarely ever had two rocks of dilithium to rub together at one time because I blew it on booze or whatever else I might find that could be spent on. I saw it as a part of the game that was fun. Now, that spigot is gone, and so is my version of that segment of fun.

I only say this because people are trying so hard to paint people who liked the dilithium rewards as some kind of problem for the game. A lot of us took advantage of it because we enjoy the game. And as I've said before, I spend SERIOUS real cash on this game EVERY month. This whole experience has made me reconsider that because I get this awful feeling that my contributions can be gone in an instant on a whim, and that causes me to close my wallet instead.

But it was their choice.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
    For the record, I’m a Lifetime Sub.
    And when it suits me, I pay for items in the C-Store.
    Like the GQ Veteran Dominion Pack that included Cardassians, for example, that was quite costly.
    So by strict definition, I was never playing the game for free.

The simple fact is, I’m ignoring the other sources of Dil acquisition for simple practicality, it took too much time each day to go around collecting it all from those other sources, whatever they are.
    There are better uses for my time then being a virtual rock miner.
    It’s actually been so long since I did it, I can’t even remember what I did to earn Dil before Admiralty arrived.

Admiralty was something I could do with minimal investment of time and that suited me, since it was quick and efficient.

End conclusion, Cryptic made a change I disapprove of in the hopes of getting players to play the game more, but since I don’t want to be playing more because I have other tasks to do, I am choosing not to follow their implied directive.
    I’m not giving up my personal hobbies for the sake of one game, no matter how much I enjoy it.
    And that’s my choice to make.

This discussion has been closed.