test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Event Campaign: Choice between free ship coupon OR 1,000 lobi

2»

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    This has to be the most incredibly generous offer that Cryptic has ever made. I'm stunned frankly.

Why? The promise of a T6 token, to be had in a year from now? Always nice, of course; but 'incredibly generous' it is not. You get 200 Lobi too, and that isn't half-bad, I must admit.

At 5 average lobi per key, you'd need 200 keys to get 1000 lobi. Which means, right now, you'd have to pay in the ballpark of $200 to earn that much lobi. Now go ahead and try to explain how that's not ridiculously over the top generous.

I think I already did. :) Namely, 900 Lobi for a ship has always been too high. So, while 1,000 Lobi will get you such a ship, its real value would be around $300 mil. Mind you, still not a bad deal, by any means, but 'not ridiculously over the top generous' for 1 year of grinding (or however long it takes to grind out 4 consecutive events).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    This has to be the most incredibly generous offer that Cryptic has ever made. I'm stunned frankly.

Why? The promise of a T6 token, to be had in a year from now? Always nice, of course; but 'incredibly generous' it is not. You get 200 Lobi too, and that isn't half-bad, I must admit.

At 5 average lobi per key, you'd need 200 keys to get 1000 lobi. Which means, right now, you'd have to pay in the ballpark of $200 to earn that much lobi. Now go ahead and try to explain how that's not ridiculously over the top generous.

I think I already did. :) Namely, 900 Lobi for a ship has always been too high. So, while 1,000 Lobi will get you such a ship, its real value would be around $300 mil. Mind you, still not a bad deal, by any means, but 'not ridiculously over the top generous' for 1 year of grinding (or however long it takes to grind out 4 consecutive events).
    You would actually buy a lobi ship with lobi? I plan to buy bind-on-pickup items like lobi ship consoles and lobi ship weapons. You can't even buy such items on the exchange leaving you the only option of using keys or promo packs to actually earn lobi. Both of us spend too much money on this game. You should know as well as anyone how generous 1000 lobi is.
    If you disagree that it's insanely generous, then you're just wrong. It's not an opinion that $200 of free stuff is generous.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Couldn't it have been a new queue maybe based on the games current timeline? I personally don't want to do anymore DIS queues.

You would actually buy a lobi ship with lobi? I plan to buy bind-on-pickup items like lobi ship consoles and lobi ship weapons. You can't even buy such items on the exchange leaving you the only option of using keys or promo packs to actually earn lobi. Both of us spend too much money on this game. You should know as well as anyone how generous 1000 lobi is.
    If you disagree that it's insanely generous, then you're just wrong. It's not an opinion that $200 of free stuff is generous.

In hindsight, I must admit, it's actually an awesome deal. I already have most every console/wep from the Lobi store; but, objectively, 1,000 Lobi, aka $200 RL bucks, is indeed very generous. Hope they put some new sets in the store by the time I get to claim something from it. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I still have the two free T6 Ship Tokens. The one ship I don't have from a Fed-Klingon two-pack is still lingering out its days in the "New" Tab in the C-Store. I purchased the Federation ship from that pack with a 50% off Coupon (I still have one of those as well).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited February 2020
    In hindsight, I must admit, it's actually an awesome deal. I already have most every console/wep from the Lobi store; but, objectively, 1,000 Lobi, aka $200 RL bucks, is indeed very generous. Hope they put some new sets in the store by the time I get to claim something from it. :)

Glad you agree. I plan on buying some Altamid Swarm Processors for my alts once there's another lobi sale.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Altamid_Adaptation#Altamid_Modified_Swarm_Processor
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Well you don't buy a lobi ship when they aren't on sale. Come on here. And yeah even at the sale price, I can generate EC fast enough where it makes no sense for me to ever buy a lobi ship with lobi...but some people do have issues with that. So this gives them an option for that I suppose if there is a ship they really want from there. What it boils down to is that there are now more options for people to get what they want from this game...for FREE.

Yeah it's almost insanity to buy a lobi ship with lobi IMO. Might as well let other people waste their lobi for our benefit. The only people that should ever buy lobi ships with lobi are the super space rich. These guys/gals have 50,000 lobi and some even have 100,000.
    Post edited by salazarraze on
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    For me, with the Lobi I've got, and a Lobi sale, that 200 extra may be enough to get a Lobi ship and get the T6 coupon both. As for why the 200 Lobi + T6 coupon, longer event, better reward. In addition to four individual FTFO rewards.

Now, while the winter event did include a TFO as one of it's options, the winter event was not part of the event campaign, so the summer event may be separate. Once the second T6 coupon event was announced, I figured these kinds of event campaigns would probably become a regular thing.
    edited February 2020

Well you don't buy a lobi ship when they aren't on sale. Come on here. And yeah even at the sale price, I can generate EC fast enough where it makes no sense for me to ever buy a lobi ship with lobi...but some people do have issues with that. So this gives them an option for that I suppose if there is a ship they really want from there. What it boils down to is that there are now more options for people to get what they want from this game...for FREE.

Who said I wanted to buy a ship for Lobi? :) All I said was, that Lobi ships are essentially way overpriced, and that if one were to get one from the Lobi store (for 900 Lobi), you'd effectively only be getting something worth around 300 mil EC.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited February 2020
    Who said I wanted to buy a ship for Lobi? :) All I said was, that Lobi ships are essentially way overpriced, and that if one were to get one from the Lobi store (for 900 Lobi), you'd effectively only be getting something worth around 300 mil EC.

For anyone not understanding, look at it this way. 900 lobi divided by 5 lobi per key = 180 keys to earn 900 lobi. 180 keys multiplied by 5.5 million ec (ballpark for current exchange prices) gives you a grand total of 1 billion EC to buy that many keys on the exchange to get 900 lobi.

Or, you could buy that same lobi ship for 175-275 million EC (current ballpark exchange prices) and save your lobi for other items.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

For anyone not understanding, look at it this way. 900 lobi divided by 5 lobi per key = 180 keys to earn 900 lobi. 180 keys multiplied by 5.5 million ec (ballpark for current exchange prices) gives you a grand total of 1 billion EC to buy that many keys on the exchange to get 900 lobi.

Or, you could buy that same lobi ship for 175-275 million EC (current ballpark exchange prices) and save your lobi for other items.

This is my plan as well.

I can already get Lobi Ships anytime I want, the big prize here is all the lobi items that are not available on the Exchange. That 1k Lobi will go a long way for me. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The events being tied together by another event are a bums on seats excercise, that presumably seemed to work the way they wanted so is now being extended as an easy way to show player numbers at a better level than they otherwise might be. It mainly tells us that the push towards event burnout is now definitely the focus as we "welcome back" the binary stars with its forced & unskippable cutscene and voice over that sounds like someone gagging on a bag of marbles. At least it'll be a choice box after the overloading of disco marks.

The lobi alternative is just another dangly carrot to draw people into gambleboxing similar to how the anniversary giveaways focussed that way as were the padding items for the big legendary pack. It might be appealing for some but given the option of an account unlock vs a one shot ship or per character items isn't much of a choice.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Just because it would take 200 keys to get 1,000 lobi, doesn't mean 1,000 lobi is worth 200 keys. Boxes contain more than just lobi. Based on current ship prices, the market value for 1,000 lobi is around 40 keys. Still more than a C-Store ship, but not extremely so.

And yeah, getting bind-on-pickup items with the lobi is best for people who don't open boxes, because there are alternate means to acquire everything else.
  • hando316hando316 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I'm going for option 1.
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    I'm already suffering from event burnout. I don't actually play the game anymore apart from doing the event dailies due to the prevalence of events. Take a month off, guys!

The FTFO is probably the weakest recently released mission, IMHO (for those sensitive to such things), although the garbage missile defence bit in Riposte is probably worse. Even this latest one with the randomly untuned and far-too-populous defence turrets is much more fun (plus it plays Ride of the Valkyrie).

Unless they've taken all the twitchy bits, unusually bad rubberbanding, voiceovers, crappy holograph projectors, and the excessively long waiting periods out, you can keep your generic cartoon robot, your lobi crystals and your T6 token. I won't willingly do that TFO again; the first run was bad enough. I'd sooner do Gravity Kills every day on advanced with standard-issue equipment. On dial-up. That's how much I dislike this mission. I will tell you now that I will bail if I get it in a random, penalty be damned, though I've never had it actually come up. Possibly why it is the new FTFO, now that I think of it.

At least I can get back to some more interesting or at least varied content. A bright side!

**Cartman imitation**: so don't play it then, bye

yeah, I'll see myself out
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Well that's my Klingon advanced light battlecruiser sorted out with a few months to grind out the kit and rep stuff I need for it.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    already got a ship coupon and there's not one t6 ship I want, and the ones I do I gotta gamble on, temporal D7 and the fed connie A

I still want the Sommerville, for the Trait. But it looks like it's a whole year waiting for a single T6 Token. The 200 Lobi is nice, of course, but I was kinda planning on using that spore-infused thingy a bit earlier.

P.S. I already have used up 2 T6 Tokens (which I believed to be the max). So, will this series of events give me a new one?

Humble Bundle, I think that was the one, had a give away for the sommerville, balth, 5 keys, a modules and a pile of trek comics. Might wanna go check it out and see if it's still good. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    gaevsman wrote: »
    kiralyn wrote: »
    The prize options make little sense.

Basically, 800 lobi crystals are treated as the equivalent of a C-store ship.

Based on the 1000's of lock boxes I have opened over the years, I'm assuming an average of 6-7 lobi per box.

A C-store ship, even at 3000 zen, would get you only about 30 keys. So that's about 200 lobi.

Of course, lobi stuff is only unlocked on one character. That's exactly the problem, and they have just admitted as much. They apparently felt it is needed to hand out 5 times as many lobi crystals to make up for the fact that everything that is bought with it, is a single-character unlock.

Whereas I see it as "800 lobi is one lobi store ship". So, either way, you get a ship and a handful more lobi. (not sure why they didn't just do 800 lobi, and skip the extra 200 given with the T6 token. Or are some of them 900 now?)

So it's just two different options of "get a ship". /shrug

Lobi T6 ships are 900, i think 800 are for T5 ones, i'll just grab the lobi and wait for the discount

I might too, if I go with that option. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Can one sell a lobbi ship on exchange? o.o
    Might help fix my cringing slow EC collecting issue at the moment.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    warpangel wrote: »
    Just because it would take 200 keys to get 1,000 lobi, doesn't mean 1,000 lobi is worth 200 keys. Boxes contain more than just lobi. Based on current ship prices, the market value for 1,000 lobi is around 40 keys. Still more than a C-Store ship, but not extremely so.
    In the end, it depends on what you end up buying the lobi with. For bind-on-pickup items, the value of 180-200 keys for 1000 lobi stands and cannot be disputed. But if you plan on pissing it away a ship. Then yeah, it isn't worth as much.
    Can one sell a lobbi ship on exchange? o.o
    Might help fix my cringing slow EC collecting issue at the moment.
    Yes but unless you're swimming in lobi like a Trade Channel Trillionaire, then I don't recommend it.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    until they make lobi account unlocks... I would stick with the free zen store ship. if you own all ships already...
    I think people are misreading this year thing. It says you need 2800 points, each day of an event is 50 points. That's 56 days of events to claim the T6. The Binary stars is 20 of those days right there. This will probably be about 6 months rather that a year to earn the T6.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Humm...free lobi...sounds good to me.

Think its super sweet! :)

Especially good lobi consoles were always a hard nut to crack. With this move I can outfit half my gang with one just by doing what I would do anyway.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    The T6 Token is both the good and bad option.

If you have no interest in any packs, or ship packs, then these are good.

If you buy a ship from a pack with one, and then later buy the pack. Well, you're paying for all the ships in that pack, You don't get a discount because you already own one or more of the ships.

Then if you look through the ship selection, in the T6 range, there's 2 or 3 ships in there that are not in a pack.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    trennan wrote: »

If you buy a ship from a pack with one, and then later buy the pack. Well, you're paying for all the ships in that pack, You don't get a discount because you already own one or more of the ships.

Then if you look through the ship selection, in the T6 range, there's 2 or 3 ships in there that are not in a pack.

Double edged blade to be sure.

But it does work out well for me at least. I got a free starter pack for fed from a promo and it had the T6 Reliant, means the light cruiser pack isn't a good option for me and I do really want the Deleth and Klingon light battlecruiser.

I'll get the Klingon one this mega event and by the time the next one comes along I'll be ready to start a Rom and get the Deleth.

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

But it does work out well for me at least. I got a free starter pack for fed from a promo and it had the T6 Reliant, means the light cruiser pack isn't a good option for me and I do really want the Deleth and Klingon light battlecruiser.

I'll get the Klingon one this mega event and by the time the next one comes along I'll be ready to start a Rom and get the Deleth.

Yeah, that was more of a friendly reminder about that. Just so people can make an informed decision. I grabbed the Hathos with one, it's not in a pack. I know there's a fed ship that isn't in a pack I could grab with the second. Not sure if there's a T6 KDf one that isn't in a pack, or rather I can't remember if there is.

Outside of the Hathos. A few starter pack ships is all I have. I've never bothered buying any other ship from the C-store, not even the T1 or Smallcraft.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

Yeah, that was more of a friendly reminder about that. Just so people can make an informed decision. I grabbed the Hathos with one, it's not in a pack. I know there's a fed ship that isn't in a pack I could grab with the second. Not sure if there's a T6 KDf one that isn't in a pack, or rather I can't remember if there is.

Outside of the Hathos. A few starter pack ships is all I have. I've never bothered buying any other ship from the C-store, not even the T1 or Smallcraft.

Actually the Hathos is in a pack with a Ferasan and Caitian escort. At least the Hathos is Romulan so all your characters can use it.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    You have Free T6 and half off T6 coupons as well... also you can fly allied T6 ships now... so choose a Rom/JHD and your set for ship trait for all factions.
  • dojihajimedojihajime Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I think people are misreading this year thing. It says you need 2800 points, each day of an event is 50 points. That's 56 days of events to claim the T6. The Binary stars is 20 of those days right there. This will probably be about 6 months rather that a year to earn the T6.

It will be three months-ish the last event set was that, I predict we see three events campaigns as a standard with a couple assorted event through the year.

It worth noting that you get 200 lobi with the coupon if you go that opition.

Star Trek Online Player

City of Heroes Refugee
This discussion has been closed.