test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Linking your Steam and ARC accounts

13»

Comments

• bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    bcstar wrote: »
    There does seem to be a current problem though from pure steam accounts not having a Arc account and that is one time authentication passwords are not being sent for some reason. I have two steam accounts and my second account for STO is locked out due to this. but my main account is fine when I get the popup such as I did today because I reinstalled windows on my laptop. the email to my main account went through immediately however the other one to which does not have an arc account does not go through. I have no idea whats up but I wouldn't mind playing my other account at some point :)

There is no such thing as a Steam account that does not have an Arc account, it's not possible.

Everyone that plays Star Trek Online has an Arc account. Steam is optional, but when you signed up for STO you made an Arc account. In your case, you actually have two Arc accounts, and it sounds like there is some confusion which one Steam links to. Based on your situation, I would recommend this..

Your first account you said linked fine.. nothing left to be done here. All is good.. leave it as is.

Go into your Steam folder and find the Gamelauncher.exe for Star Trek Online and make a shortcut for that on your desktop. When you want to use your 2nd account, just run STO from the shortcut (no Steam) and manually put in the user name and password.

That should help you keep the 2 accounts separate. It sounds like the problem is that you have one steam account and 2 arc accounts so since you're already linked to one, you can't link your 2nd one to the same Steam account. If you login 'standalone' for the 2nd account though, you should be fine.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the help not quite the issue however because I made the second account through steam, and use it on another PC to which when I log into it and I asks to trust the computer it says I need a one time password which does not get sent to the second email I have connected to the second steam account for the second STO account.... lol.
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    There does seem to be a current problem though from pure steam accounts not having a Arc account and that is one time authentication passwords are not being sent for some reason. I have two steam accounts and my second account for STO is locked out due to this. but my main account is fine when I get the popup such as I did today because I reinstalled windows on my laptop. the email to my main account went through immediately however the other one to which does not have an arc account does not go through. I have no idea whats up but I wouldn't mind playing my other account at some point :)

There is no such thing as a Steam account that does not have an Arc account, it's not possible.

Everyone that plays Star Trek Online has an Arc account. Steam is optional, but when you signed up for STO you made an Arc account. In your case, you actually have two Arc accounts, and it sounds like there is some confusion which one Steam links to. Based on your situation, I would recommend this..

Your first account you said linked fine.. nothing left to be done here. All is good.. leave it as is.

Go into your Steam folder and find the Gamelauncher.exe for Star Trek Online and make a shortcut for that on your desktop. When you want to use your 2nd account, just run STO from the shortcut (no Steam) and manually put in the user name and password.

That should help you keep the 2 accounts separate. It sounds like the problem is that you have one steam account and 2 arc accounts so since you're already linked to one, you can't link your 2nd one to the same Steam account. If you login 'standalone' for the 2nd account though, you should be fine.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the help not quite the issue however because I made the second account through steam, and use it on another PC to which when I log into it and I asks to trust the computer it says I need a one time password which does not get sent to the second email I have connected to the second steam account for the second STO account.... lol.

I don't understand why you don't just use the 2nd account with out steam?

Just run the cryptic launcher and put in the user/pass for that account and you should be fine.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • wisecasperwisecasper Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    Thanks for not making the linking optional. Now all users of this computer and shared steam account can't get into their STO accounts, but they can access mine without any security barriers.
    Rj6YZR.gif
    @Wisecasper
    Non-faction Ship Bridge Collector and Junk Hauler with alt-itis

Contact in-game to add your fleet to a casual, friendly Armada
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    starswordc wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    "Starting tomorrow, you’ll be required to link your Steam Account to your Arc Account."

I will emphatically do NO SUCH THING. I once played Stark Trek from STEAM, years ago, but have never launched it from there ever again, since they introduced Arc, and have no intention to now.

I simply want to continue using Arc. Period. And Cryptic/PWE are grotesquely overstepping their boundaries if they think forcibly linking me to any other gaming platform is going to happen. What's next, demanding that I link my Facebook account, before I can play STO?! Think again!

Demanding ppl link their STEAM account to Arc, when you want to continue to log in via STEAM, that I can see; but not vice versa.

@meimeitoo, this is just for people who use Steam. It's so the game launcher can get one's login information from the Steam client the way it does from Arc already, letting Steam players skip the login step.

Thanks. :) That's what I suspected, when I said "Demanding ppl link their STEAM account to Arc, when you want to continue to log in via STEAM, that I can see;" but their wording ("Starting tomorrow, you’ll be required to link your Steam Account to your Arc Account.") seemed to suggest this was mandatory under every circumstance.

For ppl using STEAM to launch the game, not a bad idea, actually, as STEAM never kept your login details. And there were always issues with Zen purchases and/or discounts not getting applIied via STEAM. So, finally linking the two might in fact be Cryptic's way of trying to resolve these issues.

I just used the "Charge" link on the Cryptic website (never used Steam or Arc to do anything in STO - hell, you can enter game codes through the website too). So unless Steam or Cryptic is adding some sort of Perk on their end to using the Steam Wallet for Zen purchases, why use it?

I have never been able to use game codes through the web site, that's the only reason I still have ARC installed on my system

LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    wisecasper wrote: »
    Thanks for not making the linking optional. Now all users of this computer and shared steam account can't get into their STO accounts, but they can access mine without any security barriers.

They suspended the linking.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1254126/steam-linking-temporarily-disabled
    arionisa wrote: »
    I have never been able to use game codes through the web site, that's the only reason I still have ARC installed on my system

Yea... also why I keep Arc around. Promo codes. Also I've noticed that when I want to listen to my own music... its actually EASIER when I launch through Steam for some reason. I got iTunes and music on my hard drive, and STO can see that and interface with iTunes. But... not if I launched through Arc.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Here's my question...maybe problem. Since ARC cards are not available anywhere in my area, I use Steam cards to purchase Zen. Currently, I can buy a Steam card, put Zen on my Steam account and when I want to purchase something, I log into Steam, when I make a C-store purchase and need zen, it just takes the required amount of zen from my Steam wallet.

When I want to purchase something for my wife or my son, I can log out of STO (while staying logged into my Steam account), log back into STO on their account and it will still take the Zen from my Steam wallet. It works out fantastically as I can buy a single Steam card when I can afford it, but we can all "use" it. Having to link my Steam and ARC accounts now means that we will have to purchase a separate Steam card for each of us (along with them having to start Steam accounts). This sucks because we can't afford to buy 3 Steam cards, every time each of us is just a few 100 zen short of purchasing something we want.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I launch from the STO executable and have always been able to input codes through the redeem web link.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.