test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Admirality change no more 30k Dillithium....

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, won't lie.. this one hurts.

But like all nerfs.. I'll adjust and be fine.

There is always another way.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

To which a cynic like me would say, "There's always another nerf." o:)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Haha, ok that was pretty funny. I'll give you that.

coldnapalm wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »

And than you find another way. The final one being you walk away from the game or it shuts down.

At some point, it'll end. Everything comes to an end. Hopefully not for a long time though.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    I happen to enjoy the Admiralty part of the game. It is a pleasant way to play STO throughout the day, instead of just when my free time allows. I set up Admiralty missions prior to leaving for work and then collect from them when I sit down to spend an hour or two playing nearly every evening. I believe firmly I am not the only player who does this.

If you don't want me to spend my free time playing STO, Cryptic, there are easier ways to accomplish this than removing parts of the game I enjoy.

I do it too, because it's all I have time for in my day. 1 hour, maybe 2 and then I've got to leave.
    Basically, set the Admiralty running, come back tomorrow, reap whatever rewards I wanted to get.
    Note: I don't try to succeed at all the assignments, I basically give the non-useful ones just one low level ship to get them out of the way, so I can save my best ships for the good assignments.

I initially did enjoy DOFFing, but when the sector assignment bug appeared and it got a whole lot harder to find the chain assignments, I lost interest.
    There was also the additional problem of having to take seven characters around all the sectors just to fill up my DOFFing slots with 20hour assignments.
    That was taking more time then I had available, so I had to give it up.

Queues are only minimally tolerable by me, since I've been through every queue enough times to advance half the reps in the game to T5 on seven characters and in some cases, T6.
    By the time I've done that, they're just not interesting to me anymore, simply due to the massive repetition factor involved.

So to be honest, Admiralty was the only thing holding me in the game on a. daily basis, with this change, Cryptic has just removed a major source of my entertainment.
    I truly did enjoy doing the Admiralty missions, but knowing there is no tangible goal anymore is going to make me reluctant to continue doing so.
    I've already decided to abandon Ferengi Admiralty because this change will make it useless to me.
    I might keep doing KDF Admiralty to support my Fleet, but the personal motivation will be gone, since I don't get resources to build up my character at all once this change takes effect.

I mentioned this to another player, cited the numbers and they had a suggestion that got me thinking, if earning the dil is the problem, then put a limit on that instead.
    Cut the daily limit down from whatever insane amount it is and have a cutoff.
    For me personally, under the old system, I wouldn't have exceeded 60k (per character) in 10 days, assuming I completed both KDF and Ferengi Admiralty chains at the same time. And it would take me something like 6 days to refine that amount anyway, so it would be coming to my characters quickly.

So in conclusion, it feels to me like the ones who weren't being irresponsible with the system are being punished just because those who misused it need to be admonished.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I liked admiralty when it was first released because it freed us from the hellhole of argala and gerren grinding for spec points. That was the worst time in the game for me personally because you couldn't progress your character to new spec points without mindlessly facerolling delta patrols.

After a while though, the "space paperwork" becomes so stale and I started to hate it. Worse, Cryptic made it so easy to get dilithium and "any marks" from non stop events that non-event group content almost completely died off. Random TFO's and T6 reputations brought group content back to life for a while but even that isn't enough anymore.

Frankly, this is a change that I welcome, because at the end of the day, I play this game for group content and fun. I don't play it so I can RP doing DOFF/Admiralty paperwork.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Yup. We can all agree that there's way too much dilithium going around - same with EC, but that's an entirely different beast for entirely different reasons - but the solution is not to simply reduce the amount of dilithium rewards. They must offer something palatable that people can spend their dil on, otherwise it's not gonna make a change.

Both solutions work just fine for reducing the dilex. Reduce dil supply, or increase non-zen dil demand.

Also, this is NOT a nerf for people who support their fleets, which they should. The 50,000 (fleet) dil that bypasses refinement caps is going to be a big help for completing the Colony holdings in both the Fed and KDF fleets that I'm in.

It doesn't work like that: just reducing the supply will not help. Just as only increasing the non-zen demand would not.

And the people that support their fleets will do so regardless of a fleet voucher - which can be way more easily made with a Jem'Hadar (slightly less, but way more faster and easily than with 10 20-hours-long projects... if you're lucky enough to get one every day, that is).
    So, while not a nerf for those that regularly donates, it's a nerf for everybody else.
    And it will not help, because there's still nothing new to spend dilithium on but Zen.​​

It is actually enough just to reduce a significant source of dilithium, and it will help, because there will be less dilithium going toward buying Zen.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Ok fine. But if we must return to the Voth BZ and the like for our dilithium income, would you please do something about the lags? It's horrible, particularly on ground and takes away all the fun.
  • Options
    bluehamster68bluehamster68 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    For me,this is a game breaker.There are a lot of zen store items I'd like,but I had to quit work to care for my partner-as a result I can't afford to buy zen with real life money.Painful as this is for me,uninstalling could well be in my near future.
    "I'm convinced there's intelligent life in the universe-it's simply too intelligent to come to earth"-Arthur C. Clarke
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    For me,this is a game breaker.There are a lot of zen store items I'd like,but I had to quit work to care for my partner-as a result I can't afford to buy zen with real life money.Painful as this is for me,uninstalling could well be in my near future.

Give it some time to see how the exchange reacts. It won't hit a new equilibrium all at once, but it will stabilize within a few weeks. Other people make bad predictions all the time on here and I secretly laugh, and make snide remarks about cloudy crystal balls, but I will go out just a tiny bit on the nearest limb here and say that the exchange prices will go down. That's as detailed as I will get, though.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    auctionman1auctionman1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Warning: I might be critical about Cryptic, the developers and coders and at times have very negative sounding comments. I was venting and mad, that I could only find a way to use words that are much more gentler that what I would say if I didn't lose my forum or game privs.

Wow Cryptic, is there anything else you want to change mid-stream to make us like this game even less. As you sure are trying hard to do that.

Right now I have my Klingon Admiralty Tour of Duty Mission at 9 of 10. Meaning the next day (or day after you once again balance something without even making sure you don't cheat people out of where they are. At least you haven't said if people already in a tour of duty will still get their normal rewards or not.

I wish I could create a poll off site, since I don't think you allow polls on this forum, asking how many people are close to the completion of the Klingon Tour of Duty Campaign, like 7, 8 or 9 and would need just one more day to finish. Even if I was able to get the 10th one to show up right now, you unwanted change will cheat me out of 30K Personal Dil which is the only reason I do the Klingon and Ferengi Admiralty Campaigns. The other two don't supply what I am in need of.

So my view on this is would you find someone else who will announce a change, get feedback and then implement a change that would only occur if you aren't already in the campaign Tour of Duty missions. I can see maybe 1-3 being subject to change as they will not have spent the time trying to get the tour of duty missions up. However, for those of us at 8,9,10 you are once again going to take something from us after the effort was put in.

I don't just ask, I emplore you, beg, demand (okay a toned down demand to please either give those who are lets say tour of duty 5 or higher or 8 and higher the award that you are getting rid of as you think fleet vouchers is what we want instead of the dil that we could spend anyway we want including, giving it to our fleet. I am glad that what we earn will now be your decision as to how we can or cannot spend it.

You ruined the Omega event. I have a second account. It is mostly where I have my kdf toons. I stored all my Omega Particles on that toon to have it work on them with the other toons on that account. Then when the Omega Particle is ready to make the legendary upgrade (the one with 4x chance), I return them to my primary character who has all r/d maxed at 20, has all the necessary duty officers that are rare and the tech and upgrade bonuses. Last Year I spent probably 500,000,000 million on buying enough yellow, red and blue (3 stacks of 999) and put them on that character. You know have cost me dearly. I had 407 blue ones left on my primary account I plan to list when the event started.

So please give us a warning in advance so if we need to change things, we have the time, not oh, the next day we are going to change the game and if you have anything that we are changing, sorry the work to get those will be ruined by our forced change.

* Give all players who have a tour of duty going already or one's that are maybe at least done with 7 and waiting for 8 to pop up to get their dil rewards on the Klingon Campaign
    * If you can't, then automatically award those with the level of tour of duty you think should be allowed to auto-finish the tour of duty and earn the rewards. I don't know where you would put the cut off tour of duty number, whether it should be 5,6,7,8 or 9. So please fix this like right away.
    * Stop making changes without warning us in advance, and 1 day notice isn't enough, so when you want to make things that are well, bad choices, we can at least do what we need to adjust our toons for the change. Please don't say read developer logs or other notices you put up that don't specify specifically you are making a change to this " " item in the game. Meaning don't bury it in a post or log on the forums or the news section on the website.

PLEASE don't find a new way to get some of us, who despite some of your least valued changes, finding ourselves feeling like if they want us to quit, then say it, don't make us learn to associate the Star Trek Universe with what happens on Star Trek Online and all games made before that were awful, allow STO be associated with those good games.

Players, we need to start to speak louder and speak out. I don't want to say unionize but start letting them know when a change is not what players want. Only together can we in unison with the developers and coders find common ground to find fixes, balances, etc. for the game that at least we had a say.

Also disappointed that apparently like the Foundry, you could no longer spend the time/work on doing those 4 events where we could get the orb, the reman and breen boff, and that other item dealing with the devidians. Instead now it cost a fortune in dil or $$$ to get items, unless it is automatically unlocked for the entire account.

These new changes are simply not what I expected when I signed on tonight.
  • Options
    borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Interesting. Really sucks they didn't make Romulan campaign worth anything.
    I would of make it drop Pheonix upgrades instead of the current near useless ones.
    floqo wrote: »
    That leaves to a different view.

Sure, change one to fleet dili is not bad, as you are able to do this campaign to help your fleet, but this is not all.

Cutting both is not a good idea.
    Exactly. One should remain so. The 30k was making sure you can hit the 8k/day production. Now that will not be possible on multiple characters unless you play 20h/day.

There should of been another type of limitation, like something account-related (like lets say you have 80k/day account-wide processing limit).

• Options
    balarickbalarick Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    So instead of doing something that would actually achieve the goal you're ostensibly trying to achieve -- which I'm not really sure is the goal -- and that would be to set a single, reasonable exchange rate rather than having the value of zen go up and up and up and up, you once again remove one of the few shots in the arm for people who 1) don't have the disposable income to buy zen and 2) don't have the time for The Grind. This after changing the event system and having them grant 50K dil -- or I guess it's 25K dil now -- to only one character on an account. This "balancing" of the economy does seem to reflect real life, though, ironically enough. The emphasis on pay-to-win just got a lot stronger in this free-to-play game.

Well, I suppose all I can really say is that I hope this helps you achieve what you're trying to achieve, whichever goal that might actually be, and I hope it doesn't do what I'm concerned it will do. Me, my interest in the game has already been waning due to a number of other changes relatively recently, so I guess this will just help incentivize me to spend my time doing other things. So, I guess what I should really be saying is... thanks! That might sound sarcastic, but it's actually not. Since I've largely given up on The Grind due to lack of spare time, this is just one of the relatively quick, long-term pay-off activities I won't be putting my time into doing anymore.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Ok fine. But if we must return to the Voth BZ and the like for our dilithium income, would you please do something about the lags? It's horrible, particularly on ground and takes away all the fun.

indeed, i like to do the dailies on nimbus (just for the fun, rewards are meh), dyson bz; but if dyson bz is still almost playable, yesterday, nimbus was unplayable, lag + the red message about the server, all the time (never happen before).

the instances can't handle more than 5 or 6 players.
  • Options
    marvyn#9793 marvyn Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I have three toons that I play and cycle Admiralty each day on them. I can always refine the 8k a day without a problem, thanks to the Klingon / Ferengi tours of duty, and I top up shortfalls by opening endeavour boxes on the lowest toon or by switching to doing the event on the toon with the lowest amount of unrefined dilithium.

I give half my regular dilithium to my fleet. Going forwards, I won't be doing that, but will contribute the fleet voucher instead.

It'll probably end up with me having less dilithium to refine. I expect the my two alts will end up without the 8k a day to refine, but I do think this is probably the right move, even though it'll be very painful for people with armies of alts running dilithium.

What I probably would have done is the following:

A: Implement the fleet-only dilithium change from the Klingon tour of duty as that will be beneficial to fleets that lack dilithium to run projects.

B: Keep the current Ferengi Tour of Duty 30k dilithium on completion as it was.

C: Introduce an account-wide cap on refining dilithium, changing the daily refinement limit from 8k per character to 15k per account.

D: Boost the in-game dilithium rewards obtainable from playing the game, so rewarding more unrefined dilithium from PvE content and the like.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Making the game's reward structure a bit less "all dilithium all the time" is good. Now if they'd put in more unique rewards it would get interesting again.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Glad to see that my treasure up of 8 million unrefined Dil on the average toon of mine pays off eventually. I have 12. Until I have to actually deal with the consequences of this change sometime in late 2022 I can only express my condolences to those who experience problems because of it now.

Also big Congratulations to the rest! It looks like there is a whole lot less mindless, boring and stupidly off turning clicky stuff coming up in STO in the future.

Now if they could just find a way to fill the gap with something fun to do we’d be talking again. Only fun so far here is the idea of them introducing this change directly after most players got their precious 200 euro hero ship bundles out of the Admiralty system instead of a Zen purchase with RL money. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    macflickmacflick Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I would be interested to know when others would be willing to invest real money for Dili in this game.

my offer 10 Dollar for 1Million Dili
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    macflick wrote: »
    I would be interested to know when others would be willing to invest real money for Dili in this game.

Well, you will always be disappointed then. 500:1 is the cap.

I personally have so little use for dilithium that the answer is never for me. What I need I can easily generate, and sell the surplus. The upside of avoiding fleet stuff and being well established I guess.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2020

I better not tell but at times it felt like I was willing to pay whatever I took to have my holdings finished. There are only few to none in this game willing to play for anything else but their very own tiny needs.

I give a poo years later as the holdings of all my fleets are finished but for all those who ever gave the fleet dil button a white berth I feel some serious happiness that they will have to play for their tiny needs a little bit harder from now on. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    tiffanittetiffanitte Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    They killed the genie called Admiralty Dilith. Sad face. I do remember the days before this system, it was a huge grind to save up for Zen exchange. Cryptic giveth and Cryptic taketh away.

If you are an owner of a fleet or co-owner = happy face. You can now FARM vouchers with numerous alts. That's a good thing.

If you are a member of a fleet = if you haven't donated before, probably not gonna donate now. That never changes. 50k dilith = 50k fleet credits. Easier to just farm TFO's for fleet marks. Ratio of exchange is much higher. If anything, folks will horde their personal dilith because it's much harder to get.

Maybe just maybe, this will lower prices on the exchange for dilith to zen. It would make the lowered dilith doable. We will see. If not, you may see a decrease in game population. People do have jobs. Plenty of other games out there. I will wait and see.

At this point I will not panic and continue playing the game.
  • Options
    littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Balancing the in-game economics is at best a red herring but probably just an excuse or lie. This as well as the omega trace being bound to character is about extracting more real-world cash from players.

I personally think it's going to do the complete opposite. I'm one of the whales of this game, in that I spend large amounts of cash pretty much buying everything. I have it, so it doesn't bother me. But I recently bought the huge ship deal almost completely because I saw the value of some nice ships to be added to admiralty (I literally only have a couple of characters that are even trying out any of the new ships).

This destroys my desire to ever buy a ship bundle again. Again, this is coming from someone who buys ALL of them. Now, any ship; I buy in the future has to be so freaking awesome that every time I hit "fire" both Picard and Kirk have to show up and start fighting for me before I'd even think it was worth the money.

This change bothers me so much. Yeah, I know. They don't care, but I practically EXPECT to pay a certain amount of money every month just cause it felt worth it. Doesn't really any more.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • Options
    macflickmacflick Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2020

Well, you will always be disappointed then. 500:1 is the cap.

I personally have so little use for dilithium that the answer is never for me. What I need I can easily generate, and sell the surplus. The upside of avoiding fleet stuff and being well established I guess.

Yeah, I know. But that could have been changed to 1000:1 or 2000:1.

• Options
    smr12smr12 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Nice, a nerf to player rewards.
    Thanks Cryptic for doing this, i will spend my money elsewhere.
    Until Cryptic fixes the bugs and the huge lag problem, i refuse to give them a single cent. A company that charges hundreds of dollars but can't even give a stable bugfree game (or at least doesn't have bugs that are years and years old), doesn't deserve my money.
    Also when coming back after 2 years not playing STO, spending $30 and getting hit immediately with a 7 day account probation.
    This shows very little respect from cryptic towards their playerbase and, this is another reason to not spend any single cent on this game.
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I haven't run Admiralty in months. Simply no time anymore with real life eating into most of my game time and what little time I can spend in game ends up being spent on all the back to back events. Only having 20-ish minutes a day means I can either run a mission, run the current event or do Admiralty.

Some missions tend to take longer than 20 minutes (since I actually let cut scenes play and read the text so I can get the story), so those haven't been played in a very long time.

The never ending cycle of events means that I'm doing nothing BUT events most of the time, and usually as soon as I get done with them, I'm burned out for a bit and take a break from the game. Meaning that once I feel like getting back into the game, there's another event rearing it's head wanting to eat up my time.

Admiralty, while sometimes quick, usually takes too long to find the right combo of ships to get thru the missions successfully.

And please, don't implement a system to auto populate Admiralty like you did with DOffing. Gawd what a broken, nearly useless thing THAT turned out to be. I'd say at least 80% of the time when I DOff, the autopop puts in the WORST DOffs for the mission. Meaning I have to go through and put in the "correct " ones. Which in turn means, I don't have the time to do it. Or more correctly I don't want to waste my time doing it.

So for me, realistically, the change won't directly affect me. It will alter the way other people play and that could affect me. Overall, I'm indifferent to it, but it would have been a nice thing for the Devs to have come out and asked for some ideas on how to change it rather than the day before it happens just dropping it on folks. But, what's done is done and we'll see where this goes.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    I look forward to possibly playing Dyson battleground on a dilithium depleted toon tonight. Or random tfos on a toon who needs reps. This change as I said, bothers me little.

I'm feeling like the people who are raging and threatening the most were dependant on it far, far to much. And some people clearly felt that these players were negatively impacting the economy by over inflating the market.

When you have people like that tapping into big game hunters levels of a resource, that resource loses all of its value even with a ton of money sinks. These players deplete those sinks faster than you can shake a fist at them.

And dilithium is a resource designed to tie the game economy to the real world to combat hyper inflation. Introducing phoenix boxes only did so much to stop its hyper inflation. Players were earning over 80k dilithium a day with this system. They are likely a small minority but it was enough to ruin the economy for everyone else.

These players didnt even slow down to think that putting such massive quantities into the dil exchange would negatively reduce the value of dilithium to zen. They probably did not notice since they did not care about the cost, only getting as much zen for almost nothing as possible. Greed man.

I bet the ec cost for keys was super high for the same reason. Tons of dil needed for each key purchase + less key purchases + higher demand = massive inflation. Lets not forget ec has few sinks.

I'm not gonna miss huge dilithium gains from admiralty. To those over using it, whether you realise it or not, its kind of your fault. You gamed the system put massive truck loads into the economy and probably drove lots of players away yourselves. We need players who dont exploit admiralty to. And broken dil exchange prices was probably chasing at least some people away. I know if I started playing this game with low income a few months ago id have given up.

I hope the prices will improve significantly with this. Maybe those people will think twice like everyone else before just dumping more dil into zen. Or maybe even start purchasing dil with Zen until it balances out enough to give incentive to buy zen with dil again at a more reasonable price range.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    szim wrote: »

I have a feeling that if the server didn't have half the games population switching characters every 1-2 min 50 times the lag might be a lot better. All those data base look ups. lol I am not sure if I am joking or serious. :)
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I stopped doing admiralty a long time ago because it simply was not worth it to me time wise. I would be better doing dailies all things considered so this change is meaningless to me. I also spend a great deal of real money in STO so the the market prices is also not an issue for me either.

I really do wish they would offer lobi as a reward for the Ferengi Admiralty and ultimate universal techs for the UFP or rommie. Now those rewards would be interesting to me to say the least.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    LOL maybe this will drop the Dilithium Exchange rate. as I say it is to High. Also I and most of toons are CAP out on Dilithium anyways.
    Post edited by starmanj on
This discussion has been closed.