test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skills invalid

ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
edited February 2020 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I have been running Admiralty, Crafting, and Doff Assignments on my Characters that had not maxes out their Specializations, Commendations, and Crafting Schools since the Winter Event. I only get to cycle through a few a day. When I gain a Spec Point, I assign it to the current Spec I am working on.

Since the last patch, when I tried to allocate the point, the 'Purchase' button was grayed out. I noticed that the Skill Tree was reporting 'Skills Invalid'. So far, I have noticed it on four Federation or a Federation-aligned Romulan. The KDF Character I checked had no such indication. All these Characters I had been able to assign Spec Points earlier last week.

Has anyone noticed this behavior on any of their Characters?

Note also, that I had purchased the Legendary Ships Bundle and have unlocked a couple of Tier 6 Account-wide Ship Masteries.
'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
Judge Dan Haywood
'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
l don't know.
l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
Lt. Philip J. Minns

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    On those characters, did you check the pre-specialization space & ground skill trees? That error normally applies to them.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I have seen it before, yes.

The good news is, that it lets you reset your skills for free. It's a bit of a pain, but the answer is usually to just re-allocate your skill points. It should be free.

I had it happen on a few of my alts a while back, it was inconvenient but the re-spec fixed it for me.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    It seems to happen the most in the space skills tab if you go back and allocate points to an earlier rank band of the tree (which seems to occasionally confuse the tree coding somehow), though it is still rather rare.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    moved to bug reports area.

Now big question, what map were you on when you tried to assign the point to the specs? may not seem like much but certain maps are notorious for that issue
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    @darkbladejk

ESD. The regular Skill Trees have been fully filled and redone many months or years ago when they had last invalidated the Skill Trees. I had been allocating Spec Points to that Spec (mostly Miracle Worker, but Constable as well) for weeks.

All Characters are 65 and have been since ViL. I will check a few others as I go along.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited February 2020
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > On those characters, did you check the pre-specialization space & ground skill trees? That error normally applies to them.

That's where I found the notice. Nothing at the Specializations themselves indicated that, just a grayed out 'Purchase' button.

Thanks
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > I have seen it before, yes.
    >
    > The good news is, that it lets you reset your skills for free. It's a bit of a pain, but the answer is usually to just re-allocate your skill points. It should be free.
    >
    > I had it happen on a few of my alts a while back, it was inconvenient but the re-spec fixed it for me.

I had already re-allocated the Skills on one Character last Thursday night. The other ones I haven't done yet and have let the Spec Point(s) accumulate.

I probably have 8 or 9 re-train credits on each Character anyway, but am aware the the 'Skills Invalid' lets you do so for free.

Thanks
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    here's another question, what type of toon is it?
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    Federation Science, Fed-Rom Science, Federation Tactical, Federation Engineer, so far.

The KDF Engineer was unaffected.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    This happens to me like once or twice every year. Cryptic will not fix it. Instead, they'll give you a free respec token, and good luck with that.

So, to all affected, I suggest you do as I did: make screengrabs of all your skills (I know you think you remember them all by heart, but you don't; and even 1 mistake will cost you a new respec token).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited February 2020
    @meimeitoo
    @seaofsorrows
    @darkbladejk
    @davefenestrator
    @phoenixc#0738

It is weirder and less than that. When I checked additional Characters, a KDF Science at DS9 (Delta) , a Jem'Hader Tactical (Jem'Hader) in orbit around Earth, a Fed-Rom Engineer (Delta) at ESD, and a Federation Klingon Tactical (Delta) at ESD all showed 'Skills Invalid'. Those were all previous Recruits. I stopped for some TV and lunch then went back after about an hour (still logged in at the Character Select Screen). Now, those that were 'Skills Invalid' before were OK.

I checked others and other than a Fed-Rom Engineer (Delta) was 'Skills Invalid' as well as a fully maxed TOS Science (Temporal) .

The last I left it those two were the only ones at the moment. Others may show back up again that were clear, but after running into that Fed-Rom Engineer, one or two may show back up as 'Skills Invalid' but that may be an artifact from the Fed-Rom Engineer carrying over to some others.

At one time it looked like it was concentrated in Recruit Characters, as 3 of 4 Delta, 1 of 1 TOS, and 1 of 1 Jem'Hadar. But the Jem'Hadar, and another Delta cleared up. Non Recruits were transiently affected as well.

Right now, it looks like it may be a transient problem that clears itself on another log back in.

I will recheck them again later.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Thanks for the update. Details like that help QA and/or Bug Hunters when they try to narrow down and replicate the issue.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    @meimeitoo
    @seaofsorrows
    @darkbladejk
    @davefenestrator
    @phoenixc#0738

It is weirder and less than that. When I checked additional Characters, a KDF Science at DS9 (Delta) , a Jem'Hader Tactical (Jem'Hader) in orbit around Earth, a Fed-Rom Engineer (Delta) at ESD, and a Federation Klingon Tactical (Delta) at ESD all showed 'Skills Invalid'. Those were all previous Recruits. I stopped for some TV and lunch then went back after about an hour (still logged in at the Character Select Screen). Now, those that were 'Skills Invalid' before were OK.

I checked others and other than a Fed-Rom Engineer (Delta) was 'Skills Invalid' as well as a fully maxed TOS Science (Temporal) .

The last I left it those two were the only ones at the moment. Others may show back up again that were clear, but after running into that Fed-Rom Engineer, one or two may show back up as 'Skills Invalid' but that may be an artifact from the Fed-Rom Engineer carrying over to some others.

At one time it looked like it was concentrated in Recruit Characters, as 3 of 4 Delta, 1 of 1 TOS, and 1 of 1 Jem'Hadar. But the Jem'Hadar, and another Delta cleared up. Non Recruits were transiently affected as well.

Right now, it looks like it may be a transient problem that clears itself on another log back in.

I will recheck them again later.

Yeah, thx for the update. :) Next time this happens to me, I'll try relogging later first too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    It has not happened to me for a few months now, but from what I remember it seemed to happen the most to Ianthe (who is a regular 25th century Fed Science) way back when I only had about six characters, though it has happened more recently to other characters from all the other factions except Dominion (I only have one horneytoad out of 27 characters and it has only happened to a dozen at most so that could just be chance).

Usually I do skill upgrades at the home base for the characters, (especially if it is from a levelup that opens up ship system slots or requires upgrading systems): ESD (usually standing on the big bank pad), New Romulus Command, or Drozana Station (for KDF since First City is a spread out annoying mess), and of course DS9 for the toad. Sometimes I just do it in the field though.

I have not noticed any difference between regular and recruit characters, just that it may happen slightly more often to Federation characters.

The last one it happened to so far was Romulan around October or November and it was one that I went back and added a point to the first level engineering skill block to boost hull a bit since I was aiming for Discovery reputation stuff and hull boosts some of the stuff for that, then found at the next skill placement time that it was borked and did the free respec. It was fairly typical for that so I get the feeling that maybe whatever checks for validity occasionally gets confused if there are more points in a block than it takes to unlock the next skill block.
    Well, when I logged back in all the Characters that I mentioned that had that 'Skills Invalid' when I logged off, were now fine.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns