test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do NOT link your Steam and Arc accounts

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Khan outfit is acct-unlocked.
    Last I checked, it's a character unlock.
    You had to log in each character for it to become available.
    If you only log in one character, only that character has it.

Ah, I thought it was acct unlocked. I stand corrected. I usually launch with Arc anyway, so any new characters automatically get it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    What exactly are the benefits of this other than the few seconds it takes to type in a password? Time which the game will happily steal back (with interest) via rubberbanding or laggy map loading.

That said, this is something I've been saying should have been in the console version from the start where you launch the game from an active PSN/XBL account and yet have a login screen before the character select. Makes sense for console not so much for PC.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    I have no intention of linking Arc to Steam. Too many questions that need to be answered why they want this to be done
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    monodoso wrote: »
    I have no intention of linking Arc to Steam. Too many questions that need to be answered why they want this to be done

For EVIL, duh.

;)

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Let's hope it get fixed soon, i'll wont link, not now, not ever... the only reason i use steam for the game is when my son wants some zen, so i logon into his account and buy some... (i have to keep tabs on his expenses :lol: )
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Just wanted to give a quick update while on lunch break.

I've gotten in touch with Kale and am now waiting for his response, but this morning I tried to launch the game via the Arc launcher and everything was there again. I haven't tried through Steam again yet, didn't have the time, but it looks like it's more some kind of linking glitch between Steam and Arc rather than stuff getting deleted. Which is highly annoying and was really panic inducing at the time, but it appears it's an annoyance rather than a disaster thankfully.

Sorry for the alarmism, I just really did not want what I had thought happened to me happen to someone else if I could prevent it. And even as it stands (as I'm not sure what exactly is wrong here) it is a bit irritating. But it sounds like this only happens in a few fringe cases, which is good even if it is annoying to be one of those fringe cases.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    ilithyn wrote: »

I've gotten in touch with Kale and am now waiting for his response, but this morning I tried to launch the game via the Arc launcher and everything was there again. I haven't tried through Steam again yet, didn't have the time, but it looks like it's more some kind of linking glitch between Steam and Arc rather than stuff getting deleted. Which is highly annoying and was really panic inducing at the time, but it appears it's an annoyance rather than a disaster thankfully.

Sorry for the alarmism, I just really did not want what I had thought happened to me happen to someone else if I could prevent it. And even as it stands (as I'm not sure what exactly is wrong here) it is a bit irritating. But it sounds like this only happens in a few fringe cases, which is good even if it is annoying to be one of those fringe cases.

Well, at least you didint lose anything, glad to know that, still, my view stands, i wont link as i dont want to do it.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

No apology necessary.. you did the right thing warning people.

I am glad you found a way to get all your stuff back.. that's great! :smile:

Thanks to Kael and darkblade for looking into this.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • dexterbateman416dexterbateman416 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    I don't want to link either, not if there is a risk of losing all my stuff.
    I don't take sides, I work angles. More choices that way.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

Another reason I dont want to go via STEAM anymore: any extra layer adds extra chance for something to go wrong.

Glad to hear all your stuff is still there, though. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User

agreed, but what happens to those who of us refuse? no more STO?
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User

As styated in a couple of posts in this thread - just create a shoortcut to the "Star Trek Online.exe" file in the "Cryptic" directory and you can log in directly using the Cryptic STO Launcher. I've never installed Steam or PWE's ARC client; and have been playing STO since closed beta - September 2009. :) <--- No Steam or ARC client required.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User

As styated in a couple of posts in this thread - just create a shoortcut to the "Star Trek Online.exe" file in the "Cryptic" directory and you can log in directly using the Cryptic STO Launcher. I've never installed Steam or PWE's ARC client; and have been playing STO since closed beta - September 2009. :) <--- No Steam or ARC client required.

Yeah no, this isn't really possible if you have installed through Steam or Arc. Unless you're from an era where you installed the game via cd-roms and therefore not via Steam or Arc you can't have it without having Steam or Arc. In fact, if you have it via Steam you will automatically launch Steam even if you try to launch it directly from the exe file.
    So yeah, if you play this game via Steam you have the choice of no more STO or install Arc and run it via that if you don't want to link. Which is why I hate this forced linking. I always disapprove of robbing customers of choices.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Eh... I actually fired up Arc and ran it through that. Probably will do that myself until things stabilize with the account linking. Only kept Arc for promo codes anyways. Steam is still my preferred choice, however... I'd rather not have to go through accidentially making a brand new account and not have my own that's been around for years.

Bit of a trade off I guess. Convenience on password can be nice, but eh... that's really the only benefit I can see. Maybe it will make zen purchases easier for some people too. I don't know. In the meantime... I'll bypass for now until they get it right.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    I don't know about anyone else, but my game is much more stable after the link/patch. Almost all lag is gone. Even the system demand seems lessened.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User

Yeah no, this isn't really possible if you have installed through Steam or Arc. Unless you're from an era where you installed the game via cd-roms and therefore not via Steam or Arc you can't have it without having Steam or Arc. In fact, if you have it via Steam you will automatically launch Steam even if you try to launch it directly from the exe file.
    So yeah, if you play this game via Steam you have the choice of no more STO or install Arc and run it via that if you don't want to link. Which is why I hate this forced linking. I always disapprove of robbing customers of choices.

It's extremely possible. I've gone through 3 PCs since this game launched - and had to do two installs without a CD - the launcher file "Star Trek Online.exe" will install and download the game completely if it doesn't see a current/complete "Live" folder under it.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited February 2020

Every word of this is absolutely 100% false.

Steam is nothing but an overlay. It installs the exact same game as the stand alone launcher, just with Steam functionality over the top of it. If you go to the folder the game is installed in and run the Star Trek Online.exe file.. the game launches normally without Steam.

The same thing happens for Arc, they are both overlays and actually have nothing to do with your game install. You can play the game 'stand alone' with either one.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Funny thing is, I have run the game through Steam, and I have yet to be hit with any "account link" hoo-ha in my launcher. So I'm not 100% sure if I'm just not affected by it, or if it's been linked already, or whatever... because nothing's changed, or so it seems to me.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • gameotter#7391 gameotter Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I just tried logging in through steam and after taking a very long time it came to the login window. After I entered my credentials the next screen said it was sending me an authentication code to my email address. It's been almost an hour now and no email has arrived. I'm not sure what the hold up is but after reading this thread maybe it's a blessing in disguise?
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    I just tried logging in through steam and after taking a very long time it came to the login window. After I entered my credentials the next screen said it was sending me an authentication code to my email address. It's been almost an hour now and no email has arrived. I'm not sure what the hold up is but after reading this thread maybe it's a blessing in disguise?

Just more reason to stay the heck away from it. I can't see this being mandatory to log in to the game eventually in the coming future. If this fails this game could go into a downward spiral
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • p331p331 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    If you don't get the email with the authentication code right away check your spam filter. Support told me to make sure emails from crypticstudios are whitelisted. That is where mine was hiding at.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Windows(C:) ~> Program Files(x86) ~> Steam ~> Steamapps ~> Common ~> Star Trek Online ~> Bottom of the list, Star trek Online.

Using properties on this shows that it is the Cryptic Game launcher.

There you go, that should bypass Arc and Steam all together.

Just right click, create desktop icon and bingo, direct access to the game launcher.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • necrofuznecrofuz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    It worked for me.. Steam and Arc clients are linked. I hope the issue here is resolved for those that are involved. I am very sure they will fix the issue and get you straight.
  • I currently launch thru Arc. The few times I did launch the game thru steam it caused me to nearly lose my account so, no more of that. However, if need be I can launch and run the game without Arc but I usually only do this for diagnostic purposes when instructed to do so when filing a ticket for whatever reason.

As for me, no, I won't be linking my Steam and Arc accounts. Just too many bad memories and too much lost $$$ over trying to run STO on Steam in the past.
    edited February 2020
    It finally asked me to link my account.. thought maybe not having Arc installed would mean I get bypassed, but no.

I went ahead and did it and it works fine. If I run the game 'stand alone' it still functions the way it always did so if Steam/Arc users really object to this, stand alone is still an option. Just run the .exe directly out of the install folder and bypass the entire thing.. your choice.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Is there an installer with only STO and not ARC or Steam?

I don't want to lose everything, but I don't want ARC, either.
    go to the steam folder then follow this path Steam-steamapps-common - star trek online - Star Trek Online.exe

Is there an installer with only STO and not ARC or Steam?

I don't want to lose everything, but I don't want ARC, either.
    go to the steam folder then follow this path Steam-steamapps-common - star trek online - Star Trek Online.exe

This is correct, as I said earlier.. both Steam and Arc install the exact same game files as the stand alone installer.

However, if someone is absolutely adamant about not having either on their system, you can download the stand alone installer for STO by clicking here.

This will install STO only with no Arc or Steam.

Enjoy.
    Yea, a few reinstallations has been with Steam, and just run it directly from the installed launcher... always
  • r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    i don't run my game with any launcher except sto launcher
This discussion has been closed.