test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Seven's Dual Tetryon Rifles are actually Phaser Rifles in the show

2»

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Well, if it's just about the damage type, even Starfleet used tetryon weapons. It's mentioned in Insurrection. ( https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tetryon_pulse_launcher ).

Appearantly, tetryons can somehow be emitted by both phaser and disruptor weapons. So maybe the best damage type for Seven's in-game weapons would have been phased tetryon?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • testsubject228testsubject228 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    A more likely explanation is that Cryptic saw the trailer and added Tetryon rifles based on bolt color and didn't find out that the rifles were in-fact Phasers until the episode was released.
    Also I don't think the blue bolts are stun bolts. The red is simply an indication of a full charge bolt.
    With the exception of JJ trek aka Kelvin timline, Phasers didn't change color for lethal/stun mode.
    Also.. theres no reason why they would make the stun setting burst fire.
    Post edited by testsubject228 on
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    artan42 wrote: »
    [
    Is that FC and INS as well because I only remember them in NEM.

Yes.
    One clip from FC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDiZefRj78g

INS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1c8h2UyE8
    Little harder to see but the firing sound is the same, and you don't see a beam.
    There's also a scene where they blast through a wall, and both the type 2 and compression rifle are used.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,498 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Hand phasers have always had both beam and (at least sort of) bolt modes, even as far back as TOS. A hand phaser on beam makes a trilling sound when it is fired, but on bolt mode it yelps for instance.

It is a definite for ships though, Enterprise is shown firing beams most often but it does occasionally fire in bolt mode (mostly in "Balance of Terror" which is also "proximity" mode so it could be the equivalent of the yelping wide angle setting on hand phasers) though they do show other times when it is not always clear whether they are firing photon torpedoes or phasers.

There was not an official meaning for beam/bolt colors in TOS (the varied colors actually was because they needed more opticals than any one SFX house could provide and they had different interpretations of the work orders), but by chance if you go and classify all the colors by what the characters were doing at the moment it works out rather well to Red = Heat, Green = Stun, and Blue = Disrupt/Disintegrate. The blue is sometimes used for stunning too, but that could be attributed to the disrupt mechanic having its own way to stun, and there is the occasional shot that does not fit that color scheme.

That same color interpretation also works for ship phasers, they mainly use blue against other ships and some ground targets, but others (more often in orbital strikes) are red (though they do show red beams in space occasionally). The one time they show a stun bombardment positively identified as such in dialog it is green.

Of course there is the caveat that those are the original colors so the Remastered episodes may show something else.

STO making Seven's rifles tetryon is a good thing even if they are phasers in episode since there are so many fancy and new phaser weapons in the game and tetryon has almost nothing in the way of variety on the ground.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I think the remastered episodes unified the colors as best they could with the VFX as TOS kinda was all over the place.
    Like in STO, TOSr typically has phasers firing blue most of the time.

Kelvin Timeline and Discovery does have different colors for different settings, with blue being stun and red being lethal settings. Except for in Beyond. I think it was blue on both.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think the remastered episodes unified the colors as best they could with the VFX as TOS kinda was all over the place.

Kelvin Timeline and Discovery does have different colors for different settings, with blue being stun and red being lethal settings. Except for in Beyond. I think it was blue on both.

Maybe the phasers in BEY were only used in stun mode.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    [
    Is that FC and INS as well because I only remember them in NEM.

Yes.
    One clip from FC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDiZefRj78g

INS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1c8h2UyE8
    Little harder to see but the firing sound is the same, and you don't see a beam.
    There's also a scene where they blast through a wall, and both the type 2 and compression rifle are used.

Two more examples:

FC:
    in the deck 16 fight scene you see extensive use of bolts, starting around 3:58 in this clip
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXNQDevaPhM

INS:
    at 2:10 in this video Dr Crusher uses a rifle firing bolts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44952gWebas
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited February 2020

Which I found weird, considering there is a shot, during the boarding of the Enterprise, where Spock and McCoy enters the elevator, ready for combat, and we clearly see Spock switch his phaser from stun to kill mode as it goes from blue "barrel" to red, like in the previous Kelvin Timeline movies.

That said, people have noticed that unlike in the previous movies where you see burnt clothing and occasionally bleeding wounds, the Beyond phasers don't cause visible physical damage. Perhaps those and the rifles were experimental phaser weaponry made to avoid physical painful damage on non-stun settings for whatever reasons at some point.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Would Seven necessarily be using the exact same model of rifle 10 years later? Dual wielding's a choice, and not one that requires special weapons forged by magical artisans which channel her energy into twin bolts of destruction (without which a mortal would be hopeless at holding two big guns at the same time.)

Ie. Cryptic can pretty easily get away with this. The weapon model isn't necessary to have the narrative effect of a PIC themed Seven (for this mission she just happens to be using different rifles with a different energy type.) Her character model and dual wielding are the key visuals. Lincoln's hatchet, for contrast, is a situation where you need original modeling to pull off the narrative effect (a Bat'leth or Lipra would have a big impact on presentation.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Would Seven necessarily be using the exact same model of rifle 10 years later? Dual wielding's a choice, and not one that requires special weapons forged by magical artisans which channel her energy into twin bolts of destruction (without which a mortal would be hopeless at holding two big guns at the same time.)

Ie. Cryptic can pretty easily get away with this. The weapon model isn't necessary to have the narrative effect of a PIC themed Seven (for this mission she just happens to be using different rifles with a different energy type.) Her character model and dual wielding are the key visuals. Lincoln's hatchet, for contrast, is a situation where you need original modeling to pull off the narrative effect (a Bat'leth or Lipra would have a big impact on presentation.)

Seeing your avatar, i think of a dual wielding tardigrade launchers.. :smiley:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!

Which I found weird, considering there is a shot, during the boarding of the Enterprise, where Spock and McCoy enters the elevator, ready for combat, and we clearly see Spock switch his phaser from stun to kill mode as it goes from blue "barrel" to red, like in the previous Kelvin Timeline movies.

That said, people have noticed that unlike in the previous movies where you see burnt clothing and occasionally bleeding wounds, the Beyond phasers don't cause visible physical damage. Perhaps those and the rifles were experimental phaser weaponry made to avoid physical painful damage on non-stun settings for whatever reasons at some point.

Spock is using a phaser from the Franklin in the film so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Star-Trek-Beyond-5.jpg?w=1600&cdnnode=1
    stbassaultphaser3.jpg

So it'd be a plasma or phase pistol rather than a phaser.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

Spock is using a phaser from the Franklin in the film so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    stbassaultphaser3.jpg

Earlier in the movie Spock uses the '09 phaser, during the scene where the Enterprise gets boarded and destroyed. Clearest shot of it is when he and McCoy step into a turbolift and Spock deliberately raises it up towards the camera and flips the barrel from stun to kill.

Happens at 4:40 in this clip:

https://youtu.be/CiFM30eUUnU
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Earlier in the movie Spock uses the '09 phaser, during the scene where the Enterprise gets boarded and destroyed. Clearest shot of it is when he and McCoy step into a turbolift and Spock deliberately raises it up towards the camera and flips the barrel from stun to kill.

Ah, I see. Come to think of it, I seem to recall Kirk checking the setting on a 09 phaser when he climbs out of his Kelvin pod.

#TASforSTO

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    > @duncanidaho11 said:
    > Would Seven necessarily be using the exact same model of rifle 10 years later?

She wouldn't, just like she wouldn't be wearing the exact same outfit. But since that scene it that one episode is clearly the inspiration for how her character looks in the new missions, there is no logical reason not to make her weapons the same too.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    After watching the latest Picard Episode where she gets the Rifles it seems they are actually Phaser and not Tetryon. Further i didn't notice a difference in performance between dual rifles and dual pistols at all. I assume they wont get changed to Phaser and they probaly not get any better performance either but can't hurt to bring it up.

Those were a couple of Rifles she used 13 years ago in 2399 (STO take place in 2412 now ;)). Do you really believe she's still using them 13 years later? ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Thompson Submachinegun.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    Additionally, Seven's dual tetryon rifles in-game are not the same model as the phaser rifles in ST: Picard at all. So it's reasonable for them to be tetryon, although it'd be really cool to get Picard era phasers (since that's closer to what would be around in the 25th century than TNG or movie-era).

Also, if people are referring to when she used a pistol in a flashback, that was a decade prior, so there was probably also technology drift and phasers might still have been red-orange, compared to the show's present.
    After watching the latest Picard Episode where she gets the Rifles it seems they are actually Phaser and not Tetryon. Further i didn't notice a difference in performance between dual rifles and dual pistols at all. I assume they wont get changed to Phaser and they probaly not get any better performance either but can't hurt to bring it up.

Those were a couple of Rifles she used 13 years ago in 2399 (STO take place in 2412 now ;)). Do you really believe she's still using them 13 years later? ;)

Again, she wouldn't be wearing the same clothes either. They are clearly using her appearance in Picard as the basis for her updated look in game, so her using the same weapons as in the show makes just as much "sense" as her wearing the same outfit.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    (STO take place in 2412 now ;)

no it doesn't; we're in 2411 as of MoM P1​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    on the note of in game character guns, it just occured to me STO has missed a chance for an amusing referance, they really need to give us a special 23rd century phaser pistol called "Checkov's Modified Phaser pistol"

stbassaultphaser3.jpg

https://youtu.be/CiFM30eUUnU

Just as a guess I would say that the pistol Spock is holding from the Franklin is probably a plasma pistol since it has the same vertical slit (in this case with visible coils or big screws on either side) on the rather flat front that the ENT plasma pistols did rather than the large slightly protruding central cylinder their phase pistols had.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    With the mood Seven was in at the end of that episode, I highly doubt she was using Stun :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Why shouldn't Seven dress in the same style years later? She gets them from a replicator, in all likelihood, so all she has to do is set the style and make a new set every morning. (That's one of the reasons why Starfleet uniforms change so often, in my headcanon - when everyone gets their clothes from the same replicator pattern, all you need is one admiral with a fashion bug sending out occasional fleetwide software updates and boom, the uniforms look different this morning.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    The simple fact is, not everything in a TV show and especially in a video game has a logical "in universe" explanation. And sometimes the harder you try to force some type of "in universe" explanation on certain things, the more ridiculous it sounds.

The fact is, Seven's appearance in the new missions is directly based on her short appearance in the last episode of Picard. No, there is no logical "in universe" reason she would be wearing the exact same outfit years later, but the "real life" reasons are obvious: they want to give people the Seven they just saw on the show. And that's fine. And for that very same reason (wanting to give people the Seven they just saw on the show) she should be using the same weapons.

No, it doesn't make "in universe" sense, and neither does her outfit. And that's ok, because it's a game we're playing for fun. This is not a "simulator" that is supposed to be extremely realistic.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Hey, I've got some ties that are from High School, 50 years ago (I haven't worn them since). Some shirts that I still wear may be five to seven years old. :)

Seven never struck me as a clothes horse ;)

When Lord of the Rings Online released its 'Riders of Rohan' Expansion in 2012, it originally released without an Instance Cluster (Raids, 3 and 6 person Queues). A few months later the Instance Cluster was released but it had absolutely nothing to do with the Expansion. It was all based on ' The Hobbit'. Why, on something set 60 years in the past? The Movie 'The Hobbit' was just released and that's what people were seeing from Tolkien's Universe at the time. Companies like the tie-in.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    The simple fact is, not everything in a TV show and especially in a video game has a logical "in universe" explanation. And sometimes the harder you try to force some type of "in universe" explanation on certain things, the more ridiculous it sounds.

The fact is, Seven's appearance in the new missions is directly based on her short appearance in the last episode of Picard. No, there is no logical "in universe" reason she would be wearing the exact same outfit years later, but the "real life" reasons are obvious: they want to give people the Seven they just saw on the show. And that's fine. And for that very same reason (wanting to give people the Seven they just saw on the show) she should be using the same weapons.

No, it doesn't make "in universe" sense, and neither does her outfit. And that's ok, because it's a game we're playing for fun. This is not a "simulator" that is supposed to be extremely realistic.

If she was in the Rangers when she was first seen wearing them, and is still wearing them in the show's present, it is possible that the clothes are a Ranger field uniform of sorts.
This discussion has been closed.